Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My hosthatch server cannot boot - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My hosthatch server cannot boot

13»

Comments

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited July 2022

@hosthatch said: The only real complaint I can see is the GiB to GB conversion **after ** a reinstall (not before, the control panel migration just allows the same old VM to be managed through the new panel, it does not shrink any partitions - that would be stupid of us and would render most VMs useless). However, we've heard the feedback and added a note on the reinstall page that clarifies this information in advance.

Is it possible to "un-migrate" a VPS at all? I wasn't aware that it'd change the disk size (since there was no note on the reinstall page) and the change in size means it's too small to restore my backup disk image. I could probably mount it and delete some files off it, but that's not ideal :(

Also the note sometimes shows the wrong amount of disk space. It says "Your new disk will be 10.00 GB, equivalent to 9.31 GiB" for my 10TB storage VPS for example.

• MumblyMumbly Member

@Daniel15 said: Is it possible to "un-migrate" a VPS at all?

Dude, it's just switching to the new control panel from the old phased out control panel, not server migration.
    As you can imagine company wont run two billing portals/control panels just for you.

• webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited July 2022

@Mumbly said:

Dude, it's just switching to the new control panel from the old phased out control panel, not server migration.
    As you can imagine company wont run two billing portals/control panels just for you.

He doesn't want to switch back to the old panel?! Just the disk conversion..

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited July 2022

I know, but new control panel use proper GB units as advertised at the time of the purchase, so not much can be done here after the re-install, I guess...
    I sucks after all this time for some users who maxed out disk, but it is what it is.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • @Mumbly said: I know, but new control panel use proper GB units as advertised at the time of the purchase

I'm not calling anybody out but the term is ambiguous since it's widely used "incorrectly". Three years later saying, "We advertised it as GB" is kinda weak...

• ralfralf Member
    edited July 2022

But, they need to steal that extra few % of disk from you. It doesn't matter if your machine can't boot any more, they can fit an extra person or two on that node now.

Of course, nobody's asking the real question - who cares if space if now display in stupid GB instead of real GB in the panel? They could easily just increase your allowance by the little bit extra so that you have the same as you had before so your existing instance will work again, but instead decide to blame it on you for using what you were given.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @Mumbly said:

I meant the migration that happens when you click "reinstall", not the control panel migration.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited July 2022

@ralf said: They could easily just increase your allowance by the little bit extra so that you have the same as you had before so your existing instance will work again

So that existing instance will work again? What are you talking about? They work.

I criticised them in the past regarding things they deserve to be criticized (ie. extremely slow, sometimes useless support...) but this time I believe it's just unintentional oversight that some people could have problems with slightly too big backups in case they reinstall old VPS.
    If you reinstall VPS, fresh one with advertised GB not GiB quota will come back and this it it. It's not like old VPSes stopped to work or something.

There may be some individuals who made backup images slightly bigger than advertised quota and yes it sucks, but I hardly believe that host did it on purpose to screw up some individual to get some little space back. We're talking about peanuts from hosts perspective. It is what it is now.

• skorousskorous Member
    edited July 2022

@Mumbly said: I criticised them in the past regarding things they deserve to be criticized

So now you're the arbiter of what's a valid criticism? ;-)

@Mumbly said: I hardly believe that host did it on purpose to screw up some individual to get some little space back. We're talking about peanuts from hosts perspective.

I totally agree with this though. I assumed it was a function of their software change not that it was malicious somehow. The warning is sufficient in my opinion.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited July 2022

@skorous said: So now you're the arbiter of what's a valid criticism? ;-)

I expressed my strictly personal opinion about this matter, the same as you your although I believe I am most of the time more understanding toward other people than you - as you already mentioned it ;-)

And yes, while I acknowledge potential issue I don't blame host for that despite the fact that after my reinstall both of my VPSes still hosted with them also came back with advertised GB quota.
    The corrected quota unit in new control panel which does not affect already running instances (this is important part imho) is most likely just unintentional oversight, not on purpose to screw up some client and benefit from it.

• @hosthatch said:

@TimboJones said: That didn't work, I couldn't login with the root password in panel. I did a reinstall in the panel and still couldn't login. It got a new IP. I opened a ticket and they remade the VM. It got a new IP.

Not sure what any of this has to do with the panel migration that's being discussed here, but please understand that adding unconfirmed assumptions only adds confusion and only makes things worse for everyone else.

In a completely unrelated event to this panel migration, we created a new VM for you. It did not work, so we deleted that VM and created a new one for you, which had a new IP address. This is what I understand from your latest post.

It really couldn't be any simpler than what I just said. sigh

In any case, a reinstall will never give you a new IP address without intervention on our side, it is just not possible.

I laugh at your confidence after running into several bugs and your panel being 504 several times. If the newly made server worked in the first place, there wouldn't have been a need to reinstall it. Also, I explicitly said there was intervention.

In any fucking case, any reasonable provider would have responded with a simple "the new panel will reuse the same IP unless some special cases" and that would be it! You're the worst for Streisand Effecting yourself.

edited July 2022

@luckypenguin said: Yes but then you can just uncompress it with gzip, and loop mount and fsck later.

It turns out you cant't loop mount a Clonezilla image, even after uncompressing it, as it's not an exact disk image. For example, they omit free space from the image to reduce the required storage space.

Anyways, I finally got my VPS up and running. It took a while.

What I ended up doing was restoring the 10 GiB backup to a different HostHatch 10 GiB VM (or I guess I could have restored it to a local VM). It took around 30 mins:

because the other VM was in Amsterdam, and the connection between HH Los Angeles and HH Amsterdam is quite slow:

[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate
    [  5]   0.00-1.00   sec  2.75 MBytes  23.1 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   1.00-2.00   sec  7.65 MBytes  64.2 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   2.00-3.00   sec  7.25 MBytes  60.8 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   3.00-4.00   sec  6.63 MBytes  55.6 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   4.00-5.00   sec  7.52 MBytes  63.1 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   5.00-6.00   sec  7.28 MBytes  61.0 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   6.00-7.00   sec  5.98 MBytes  50.2 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   7.00-8.00   sec  6.95 MBytes  58.3 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   8.00-9.00   sec  6.27 MBytes  52.6 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   9.00-10.00  sec  5.98 MBytes  50.2 Mbits/sec

It's nearly midnight here but I'll open a ticket for that at some point.

Booted into GParted Live
    oh no it would have been a VERY tight squeeze to resize the 9.41GiB partition to <= 9GiB (new disk is ~9.3GiB and I want to to allow for ~300MB swap)

Mounted it, ran ncdu to find stuff to delete, deleted them
    Went back into GParted to resize the partition to 9 GiB
    Booted into Clonezilla again and ran it in remote source mode
    Booted the original VM into Clonezilla and ran it in remote dest mode
    Cloned the partition over the network

Finally it's back.

This would have been completely unnecessary if HostHatch had just been more upfront about the disk being resized on reinstall. I know they've added a notice now, but there wasn't one when I reinstalled this VM, and their support told me they could not "un-migrate" my VM or increase its disk size to the original amount, hence the long-winded workaround of restoring elsewhere to reduce the backup disk image size.

They really should have allowed people who migrated before the reduced disk space notice was added to revert back to the legacy system, as a gesture of goodwill.

• @Daniel15 said: Mounted it, ran ncdu to find stuff to delete, deleted them

Went back into GParted to resize the partition to 9 GiB
    Booted into Clonezilla again and ran it in remote source mode
    Booted the original VM into Clonezilla and ran it in remote dest mode
    Cloned the partition over the network

What a saga. Sometimes good admin skills can compensate for bad hoster decisions.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2022

Congratulations for migrating data @Daniel15

Now regarding @hosthatch - is it that necessary to reinstall the machine? As far as I can see, the only problem is uploading ISO over that cloud panel. However, one can simply use the netboot.xyz image (even though that image is quite old, as some distro images like Ubuntu are not working to install from netboot.xyz).

edited July 2022

@default said: (even though that image is quite old, as some distro images like Ubuntu are not working to install from netboot.xyz).

You should be able to boot into the latest version of netboot.xyz via an old version by Ctrl+B when iPXE allows that, and following the directions here: https://netboot.xyz/docs/booting/ipxe

@default said: is it that necessary to reinstall the machine?

I don't see any obvious differences yet, so right now it doesn't seem like it's worth it.

Thanked by 1xetsys
  • MumblyMumbly Member

@default said: Now regarding @hosthatch - is it that necessary to reinstall the machine?

No, there's no difference after the reinstall for me. There's still this "legacy" banner with the same features as before.

• Sorry to bump an old thread, but was there ever a solution to this?
    I have 2 (BF special) VPS that I have tried to reinstall and now neither will come up. I opened a ticket 5 days ago, but no response.

• For future readers, all resolved via a ticket, they knew of the issue and where working to resolve it :)