Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is latency and server location a mystery or real concern? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is latency and server location a mystery or real concern?

2»

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited July 2022

@letlover said:
    250 to 300 would be EU to JP/AU/NZ.

JP/SG/HK easily below 200ms if usually 150-160ms from Europe, AU and NZ are at the ass of this Planet so yea.

Same goes from Europe to SEA or LA, 150-160ms.

Thanked by 1letlover
  • letloverletlover Member
    edited July 2022

A typical web homepage is at least 2 seconds with text and graphs, so latency is about 10% of the whole time. Renting a powerful server for java or python application server in eu, improves the whole response time much better for US and Asia viewers.

• LoganoLogano Member

It's a combination of factors, I think, so it's more important to look at the sum of latency, not just latency from distance.

250ms network latency on a fast website isn't a big deal, but on a slow website, the frustration level just compounds.

Thanked by 1letlover
  • sotssots Member

@letlover said: From EU to US is about 250 to 300 ms

That's weird. Can you show me your mtr result?

• @sots said:

@letlover said: From EU to US is about 250 to 300 ms

That's weird. Can you show me your mtr result?

what is mtr?
    i just guess from my online game's ping data.

• as long as the homepage is less than 3 seconds, i feel my surfing experience is not interfered. certainly, the faster the better, but not critical. just personal feeling.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited July 2022

@letlover said:
    A typical web homepage is at least 2 seconds with text and graphs, so latency is about 10% of the whole time. Renting a powerful server for java or python application server in eu, improves the whole response time much better for US and Asia viewers.

NO!
    If you have 250ms latency that usually means there's a lot of packets hops.
    If there are a lot of packets hops then that usually means lower bandwidth because every hop has limited capacity.
    So
    If you have server in Frankfurt you can easily get 1Gbps in Europe, but if you want to send something to Philippines it can drop to like 10Mbps!

If website is couple of MB then transfer of data will be much, much slower and then there's also latency on top of that. If you will have like 10 clients per second then difference will be massive.

Thats why CDN exist and why they improve speeds. Not because of latency, but because they have important pieces (images, js) cached near visitors, even with 10Mbps you can serve a lot of clients then, because you send just text (html/json etc)

Higher latency has "hidden effects". Dont calculate this as just 10%, its a lot more

Thanked by 1letlover