Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner cloud It's really invincible - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner cloud It's really invincible

2»

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@fadedmaple said:

@Arkas said:

@sidewinder said: the settings in the panel or your iptables or what exactly?

All the configuration files of your firewall settings, all of them, including iptables, most likely it will be:
    ConfigServer Security & Firewall - csf

Every linux VPS has iptables, usually refers to the firewall on the outside of the VPS. And the firewall and snapshot are obviously two features...

Yes, I assume that it would be the firewall that is set in the control panel (outside of the VPS), otherwise it would seem rather intrusive (to go into the OS of the VPS to take a snapshot of the firewall settings)

• @sidewinder said:
    Can someone explain a firewall snapshot?

There is no "firewall snapshot" function at Hetzner. It's just a lack of punctuation. The OP's statement should read "firewall, snapshots, private network and hourly billing! "

• ArkasArkas Moderator

A snapshot will usually contain all the relevant info as well, won't it? I should check my Hetzner snapshots.

• @Arkas said:
    A snapshot will usually contain all the relevant info as well, won't it? I should check my Hetzner snapshots.

Snapshot contains everything what you had on your drive with, even the OS and such, so you can restore server fully from snapshot without future configuration needed.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@CalmDown said: Snapshot contains everything what you had on your drive with, even the OS and such, so you can restore server fully from snapshot without future configuration needed.

Exactly, that's what I was saying, it contains also the settings. I use to use clonezilla in the past as well for servers without control panels or without backup options built in. I had some bad experiences in restoring some of my backups, and I no longer use it.

• foitinfoitin Member
    edited July 2022

Just wish there were APAC locations but it's obvious impossible at that price.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@pri11er said:

@sidewinder said:
    Can someone explain a firewall snapshot?

There is no "firewall snapshot" function at Hetzner. It's just a lack of punctuation. The OP's statement should read "firewall, snapshots, private network and hourly billing! "

A nice example of why punctuation matters :)

I admit that the notion "firewall snapshot" was new to me, but I figured that this was due to my being behind the times (which I often am!) :)

Okay: firewall, [comma] snapshots

Thanked by 1pri11er
  • cyagoncyagon Member

@brejski said:
    Yep, Hetzner is amazing. Except their IPv4 prices

Cant really blame them, honestly

• don't underestimate hetzner always. firewall snapshot may mean pfsense image cloning. :)

• tjntjn Member

@cyagon said:

Seriously? :D
    Have you seen the setup costs? €22.80 setup fee for a single IP? €182 for a /29? (Inc. Vat @ 20%).
    It's beyond exorbitant in my opinion.

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited July 2022

@tjn said: Seriously? :D
    Have you seen the setup costs? €22.80 setup fee for a single IP? €182 for a /29? (Inc. Vat >@ 20%).

If I remember correctly, they ere the first major provider in the industry to announce these prices for IPv4s

• tjntjn Member
    edited July 2022

I believe you're right. No one else has such high prices on setting up IPv4s, at least I haven't seen any other provider with such high fees.

• cyagoncyagon Member

@tjn said:

@cyagon said:

Seriously? :D
    Have you seen the setup costs? €22.80 setup fee for a single IP? €182 for a /29? (Inc. Vat @ 20%).

Look into IPv4 exchanges like https://ipv4.global and you will find out that Hetzner is STILL quite cheap for IPv4s. And those prices will come to other providers too.

• szarkaszarka Member

@Arkas said:

@sidewinder said: Can someone explain a firewall snapshot?

a backup of your current firewall settings

Why, tho?

Script your firewall rules.

• @fadedmaple said:

@Arkas said:

All the configuration files of your firewall settings, all of them, including iptables, most likely it will be:

Every linux VPS has iptables, usually refers to the firewall on the outside of the VPS. And the firewall and snapshot are obviously two features...

Modern systems use nftables. iptables is legacy and will eventually go the way of ipchains before it.

@AXYZE said:
    very powerful Ryzen 5950X, around 60% faster than EPYC Zen2

Which EPYC Zen2 processor? Ryzens aren't always faster than older EPYCs with actual real workloads (not synthetic benchmarks).

• @Daniel15 said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Arkas said:

Modern systems use nftables. iptables is legacy and will eventually go the way of ipchains before it.

@AXYZE said:

Which EPYC Zen2 processor? Ryzens aren't always faster than older EPYCs with actual real workloads (not synthetic benchmarks).

This is usually true, the 5950x's max RAM is 128GB, while the 7742 will be equipped with at least 512GB of RAM, and the 5950x has 1.6 times the single-core performance of the 7742.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@Daniel15 said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Arkas said:

@AXYZE said:

One that Hetzner uses. 7742 IIRC

You have valid point with synthetic benchmarks BUT that doesnt apply here.
    Ryzen has 16core, 128GB RAM max.
    If EPYC has 64 core (or 2 sockets 32c) and 512GB of RAM then there is 4x more clients on same hardware.
    What you are missing here is that L1, L2, L3 cache bandwidth is limited, RAM bandwidth is limited. EPYC doesnt have 4x faster everything, some things are just slighly faster, some things are the same.
    That is making big difference in real applications.
    Also kernel/scheduler is not that efficient with many cores, with every core added theres some inefficiency.

And we are not talking about frequency, just that thing above makes Ryzen VPSes faster (ofc as long as they are oversold same amount) :)

EPYCs are great for providers because of density, but Ryzens instances are pretty much always faster.
    But because Ryzen machines are not that dense that means it is more ecpensive and you'll get less cores per dollar - and in that situation EPYC will be faster in multithreaded apps.

Thanked by 2Daniel15 nick_
  • tjntjn Member

@cyagon said:
    Look into IPv4 exchanges like https://ipv4.global and you will find out that Hetzner is STILL quite cheap for IPv4s. And those prices will come to other providers too.

Very aware of how much IPs cost - what I find exorbitant are the setup costs.

• @Daniel15 said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Arkas said:

What resource did you use to get up to speed on nftables? There's the Arch wiki but its incomplete, and the fact that Docker is still on iptables took away any motivation I had to learn it.

• I face disk corruption on the Ashburn VM and never went back. maybe they've fixed their issues now.... anyone else faced disk corruption issues?

• @fadedmaple said:

@Daniel15 said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Arkas said:

@AXYZE said:

This is usually true, the 5950x's max RAM is 128GB, while the 7742 will be equipped with at least 512GB of RAM, and the 5950x has 1.6 times the single-core performance of the 7742.

I've read cloudflare's test before, nftables is even slower than iptables in some scene https://blog-cloudflare-com.webpkgcache.com/doc/-/s/blog.cloudflare.com/how-to-drop-10-million-packets/

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited July 2022

@fadedmaple said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Daniel15 said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Arkas said:

@AXYZE said:

I've read cloudflare's test before, nftables is even slower than iptables in some scene https://blog-cloudflare-com.webpkgcache.com/doc/-/s/blog.cloudflare.com/how-to-drop-10-million-packets/

That post literally says:

In our test nftables was slightly slower than iptables, but not by much. Nftables is still better :P

Debian 10 and higher use nftables by default. It uses iptables-nft which is a conversion layer to convert iptables rules to nftables rules - When you run iptables, it's really running nftables behind the scenes. This doesn't use the full power of nftables, but it lets people configure nftables using their old iptables commands. Since it is just using nftables in the backend, it's worth learning about it eventually.

@stevewatson301 said: What resource did you use to get up to speed on nftables?

I'm still not 100% up-to-date on nftables, but I very rarely write iptables or nftables rules directly.

firewalld is what Debian recommends using, and it makes the firewall use case relatively easy:

Use firewalld
    You should consider using a wrapper instead of writing your own firewalling scripts. It is recommended to run firewalld, which integrates pretty well into the system. See also https://firewalld.org/
    The firewalld software takes control of all the firewalling setup in your system, so you don't have to know all the details of what is happening in the underground. There are many other system components that can integrate with firewalld, like NetworkManager, libvirt, podman, fail2ban, docker, etc.

https://wiki.debian.org/nftables#Use_firewalld

Linode's tutorial is pretty decent: https://www.linode.com/docs/guides/introduction-to-firewalld-on-centos/

Some of my systems only have one service exposed externally (Nginx) with everything else listening locally, and Nginx has rate limiting configured. I'm also using CrowdSec to block attackers both through detecting attacks on my servers and using their community blocklists. CrowdSec (or Denyhosts) can see the Nginx rate limit errors in the Nginx logs and block the corresponding IPs.

• snzsnz Member

On topic:

Only storage stuff is a bit expensive :(. I wish one could create volumes with the same price as the storage boxes they sell. Or reduced IO performance on the SSDs, whatever.

• @snz said:
    On topic:

Only storage stuff is a bit expensive :(. I wish one could create volumes with the same price as the storage boxes they sell. Or reduced IO performance on the SSDs, whatever.

Just get their storage box and mount via CIFS.

• fadedmaplefadedmaple Member
    edited July 2022

@snz said:
    On topic:

Their volume is also 40% price of digitalocean vultr etc.

• snzsnz Member
    edited July 2022

@CalmDown said:

@snz said:
    On topic:

Just get their storage box and mount via CIFS.

Performance is quite bad, sadly. I had this running for a while but with a large number of files it just breaks :/>

@fadedmaple said:

@snz said:
    On topic:

Their volume is also 40% price of digitalocean vultr etc.

Still, compared to Contabo for example, I get a lot more "SSD" storage. I don't mind the bandwith limits, 200MBps Disk-IO is fine. I'd like to see something like the oracle cloud performance-units.