Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternative to Termius (SSH client) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternative to Termius (SSH client)

2»

Comments

• mhnmhn Member
    edited July 2022

Termius is the best alternative to Termius, couldn't find something better than it to this day.

I truly hate the SFTP features of Termius though, but it's the only decent one that I found and works with macOS and Linux. On Windows I use WinSCP. Does anyone know any better alternatives?

I bought an edu email for about 3$ one year ago and activated the GitHub offer (free premium), I still have it. It seems to be safe to do it this way since you can move the Termius account to your email and you also need the master password to access the ssh details.

• ralfralf Member

Am I the only person still using PuTTY on Windows? For me, it's still the most reliable Windows-based SSH client. On Mac and Linux I'd only ever use ssh in a terminal window. Don't see the need for using a different app to run a shell on a remote machine to the app I'd use for a local machine.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@ralf said: On Mac and Linux I'd only ever use ssh in a terminal window. Don't see the need for using a different app to run a shell on a remote machine to the app I'd use for a local machine.

What about syncing between different machines and even VMs in virtualbox for example?

• VoidVoid Member

@WebProject said:
    Have you tried the Bitvise SSH Client?

Can we connect to multiple servers simultaneously in Bitvise ?

• tmepytmepy Member

@mhn said:
    Termius is the best alternative to Termius, couldn't find something better than it to this day.

I truly hate the SFTP features of Termius though, but it's the only decent one that I found and works with macOS and Linux. On Windows I use WinSCP. Does anyone know any better alternatives?

I bought an edu email for about 3$ one year ago and activated the GitHub offer (free premium), I still have it. It seems to be safe to do it this way since you can move the Termius account to your email and you also need the master password to access the ssh details.

From where did u buy it?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@tmepy said: From where did u buy it?

that's a dangerous game. If your bought edu email gets hacked, or even deleted, you will lose access to it and all the synced data.

• szarkaszarka Member

On Windows? PuTTY gets the job done for me.

But rclone is a frickin' Swiss army knife. And so is Cyberduck, if you want something with a GUI.

Thanked by 2Arkas Chuck
  • ralfralf Member

@Arkas said:

@ralf said: On Mac and Linux I'd only ever use ssh in a terminal window. Don't see the need for using a different app to run a shell on a remote machine to the app I'd use for a local machine.

What about syncing between different machines and even VMs in virtualbox for example?

I'd usually use scp or rsync to maintain a live copy of something.

If it's something that I actively update on multiple machines, I tend to just stick it in a private git repo and sync that way.

Nowadays, I tend not to use rsync/scp for backups any more, now I've migrated to backing up machines using borg to multiple different servers. On occasions, I've used this as a kind of file transfer by restoring from a borg backup from a different machine that was local instead of copying across the network, but that was only because the files in question were big and I didn't want to wait.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@szarka said: And so is Cyberduck, if you want something with a GUI.

No Linux version.

• szarkaszarka Member
    edited July 2022

@Arkas said:

@szarka said: And so is Cyberduck, if you want something with a GUI.

No Linux version.

Ah. I figured you were on Windows, since Linux already comes standard with good tooling.

rclone is very nice, though. I use it to do S3 stuff.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@szarka said: Ah. I figured you were on Windows, since Linux already comes standard with good tooling.

I have windows VMs, but my main machines run Linux, I also use a Mac.

rclone is very nice, though. I use it to do S3 stuff.

Yes, rclone is fantastic.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

MobaXTerm also works with Linux and Wine (MobaXTerm portable version).

• tmepytmepy Member

@Arkas said:

that's a dangerous game. If your bought edu email gets hacked, or even deleted, you will lose access to it and all the synced data.

Termius works with linking github. Wouldn't affect me since the termius account will be made with my personal email

(I am still going to be a student for the next few years but my school might remove my email due to offline school starting again)

• @ralf said:
    Am I the only person still using PuTTY on Windows? For me, it's still the most reliable Windows-based SSH client. On Mac and Linux I'd only ever use ssh in a terminal window. Don't see the need for using a different app to run a shell on a remote machine to the app I'd use for a local machine.

I'm using KiTTY which is a free fork of PuTTY. It allows saved sessions and more.
    http://www.9bis.net/kitty/#!index.md

• >

That's more of a local terminal than SSH client to Termius..?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@jmaxwell said:

@WebProject said:

Yes you can connect to multiple servers.

• VoidVoid Member

@WebProject said:

@jmaxwell said:

@WebProject said:

I have to logout from one profile to login to another. Is there a better way ?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2022

@jmaxwell said:

@WebProject said:

@jmaxwell said:

@WebProject said:

I have to logout from one profile to login to another. Is there a better way ?

If you do have profiles stored as files, does anyone stop you to click on the second, third, fourth, etc profile and it will load the additional connection to servers. Very easy, work at least with 6 servers at the same time - no issues

• mhnmhn Member

@tmepy said:

From where did u buy it?

Do your research, I forgot from where I bought it but I'm sure a google search would solve all your problems

@Arkas said:

No not really, after you do your edu GitHub account you can change its email to yours, and after that you can create a brand new Termius account and link it to that GitHub account, so it's not binded in any way to the .edu email.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • I use a Chrome extension called "Secure Shell". From its FAQ:

Do my preferences and private keys get synced to Google?
    Connection and preference information are synced to the cloud according to your Chrome sync settings. SSH private keys are only stored locally and not placed in sync storage. If you delete your Chrome profile or switch machines, you'll have to re-import them.