Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to preview LowEndBox v2.0?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Want to preview LowEndBox v2.0?

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
edited June 2022 in General

Hi Everyone,

A few months ago we outlined the goal of redesigning LowEndBox so that it conformed to current WP and web standards. The current theme is ten years old and doesn't work well with WP 6.

The primary goals of the new design were:

• Evergreen content more easily by presenting more articles on the index and in a more easily accessible fashion (right now content gets lost inside LEB after it leaves the home page)
  • Enhance the integration between LEB and LET (see LET offers on LEB 2.0 home page)
  • Shift the design from a linear blog timeline to a multi-article newsy-layout with categories
  • Refresh the visuals
  • Clean up long running formatting issues on the current theme
  • Improve the mobile functionality
  • Added a search field to mobile inside the burger icon

We are getting quite close to releasing the new theme but there is still time to make tweaks and fixes. I invite anyone willing to share their thoughts and suggestions to check it out and share their feedback.

The test is hosted on a development environment far away from our live environment :)

To access the dev environment update your hosts file with:

Temporarily removed while I put the dev environment behind CF

We've already made a number of changes and improvements thanks to the suggestions from our moderators (big thanks especially to @Not_Oles for the time he's spent giving suggestions).

To draw more attention to the "LowEndTalk Offers" we are building in an image that will look like this (should be on the dev environment within 24 hours once the image is finalized):

Let us know what you think!

Thanked by 3_MS_ Not_Oles servzen

Comments

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited June 2022

Why requiring people to change their "hosts" file instead of adding subdomain with like 4 clicks in CF panel and adding norobot?

"Improve the mobile functionality" how can I even check it on mobile? Wheres hosts file on Android/iOS?

I would want to preview "new LowEndBox TV" btw. It has so much unused potential. Guides, tutorials, crazy ideas like fitting as much Wordpress sites to 512MB NAT VPS...

• iNanjaiNanja Member

I think all of the images are rather big and unaligned. That's just because of my preference though.

When I click the links that say "Best Cheap VPS" etc... Those pages look perfect for me, but that's because the images are arranged in a straight line.

Idk, I am very picky though.

It's too bad there's no ability to edit the way it looks for different people. Like changing different templates in user options.

Just my opinion though, I am sure people can adjust easily to how it will become though.

• emghemgh Member

Not interesting considering what’s posted is the same.

Thanked by 1Egyarmy
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited June 2022

@jbiloh said:
    The test is hosted on a development environment far away from our live environment :)

LEB Staging

Weasel is readying his strong toy.
    Buy Diamwall for peace of mind.

Thanked by 1Void
  • tjntjn Member

@AXYZE said:
    Why requiring people to change their "hosts" file instead of adding subdomain with like 4 clicks in CF panel and adding norobot?

"Improve the mobile functionality" how can I even check it on mobile? Wheres hosts file on Android/iOS?

• VoidVoid Member
    edited June 2022

@yoursunny said:

@jbiloh said:

LEB Staging

Weasel is readying his strong toy.
    Buy Diamwall for peace of mind.

Gen5 bot ddos music starts

• raviravi Member
    edited June 2022

You should have hosted the dev version on a sub-domain like:
    dev.lowendbox.com

You can still make easy for us to review the dev site.

1) Add a A record for:
    **dev -> **

2) And change WordPress Address (URL) and Site Address (URL) to: https://dev.lowendbox.com/ from wordpress dashboard.

Thanked by 1adly
  • JabJabJabJab Member

Tango down /s

Thanked by 1ralf
  • edited June 2022

@yoursunny said:

@jbiloh said:

Use this?
    https://www.skipdns.link/

• phahaha, guys, this is not serious. Why the fuck not add a subdomain? Why need all of that shit on sys-admin forum with A / ip things??) Really. This is awful.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Where is let.root-servers.net when we need it? /s

• szarkaszarka Member

You guys need to man up and stop whining about editing a text file.

(I'd say that real men just telnet to port 80 and enter the commands by hand, but LEB just redirects to TLS anyway.)

• emghemgh Member

@szarka said:

(I'd say that real men just telnet to port 80 and enter the commands by hand, but LEB just redirects to TLS anyway.)

When you want something for free, it’s typically wise to make it easy for the contrubutor.

Thanked by 3Lee bulbasaur emg
  • szarkaszarka Member

@emgh said:

@szarka said:

When you want something for free, it’s typically wise to make it easy for the contrubutor.

When you want high-quality comments, it's typically wise to put a small hurdle in place that's easy for qualified commenters to jump. ;)

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • LeeLee Veteran

@szarka said: You guys need to man up and stop whining about editing a text file.

Indeed, we will just not bother.

Thanked by 4bulbasaur emgh BlaZe emg
  • HotmarerHotmarer Member
    edited June 2022

@jbiloh Please say that the new website will be on a different IP address and this IP address is for test site only.
    Why do you share IP address if you have CloudFlare? Now everyone can DDoS you without any problems ...

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 2022

@Hotmarer said:
    @jbiloh Please say that the new website will be on a different IP address and this IP address is for test site only.
    Why do you share IP address if you have CloudFlare? Now everyone can DDoS you without any problems ...

The actual LET IP has firewall rules to block non-CF traffic.

You can try, but everything gets blackhole’d.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

What on the earth they were thinking when this type of staging idea popped up.
    Tussi great ho.

• VoidVoid Member

@AXYZE said:

You need to root/jailbreak your device for that.

Would providers sell to a user who won’t even do that much to preview LowEndBox 2.0 ?

• ralfralf Member

My experience so far is that this new website won't even survive one person mashing F5 during Black Friday.

• miaumiau Member

no

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Folks I've had to take the dev environment down because it was getting attacked.

I am moving it to different server and putting it behind CF and going to password protect the domain. I'll let you know once its back up.

@AXYZE said: Why requiring people to change their "hosts" file instead of adding subdomain with like 4 clicks in CF panel and adding norobot?

I am going to move it to a dev domain and password protect it here shortly.

@AXYZE said: I would want to preview "new LowEndBox TV" btw. It has so much unused potential. Guides, tutorials, crazy ideas like fitting as much Wordpress sites to 512MB NAT VPS...

Happy to hear suggestions, LEBTV is a work in progress and there is room for improvement.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LowEndBoxTV

@iNanja said: I think all of the images are rather big and unaligned. That's just because of my preference though.

Which images are not aligned? I will check that out.

• @jbiloh said:
    Folks I've had to take the dev environment down because it was getting attacked.

I am moving it to different server and putting it behind CF and going to password protect the domain. I'll let you know once its back up.

Makes sure to install CloudFlaire Back Orfice Railgun

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@ralf said: My experience so far is that this new website won't even survive one person mashing F5 during Black Friday.

That's just a staging site, not hosted on the actual site which it will when live.

• emghemgh Member

@szarka said:

@emgh said:

@szarka said:

When you want high-quality comments, it's typically wise to put a small hurdle in place that's easy for qualified commenters to jump. ;)

Yet I don't see any of your feedback.

• szarkaszarka Member

@emgh said:

@szarka said:

@emgh said:

@szarka said:

Yet I don't see any of your feedback.

Well, when I tried it, it was down hard.

Anyway, my feedback would probably be something like "what are all these graphics and crap? optimize this site for lynx!" so I don't know how useful it would really be. :shrug:

Thanked by 3emgh Not_Oles Egyarmy
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

@johnnyquestion said:

@jbiloh said:

Makes sure to install CloudFlaire Back Orfice Railgun

Do CF even supports Railgun these days? It was supposed to integrate with Argo, but that never happened.
    Changelog shows minor updates from 4 years ago, but last major one was 6 years ago... https://developers.cloudflare.com/railgun/changelog/

• tjntjn Member

@jbiloh said:

4 hours
    lol

• @Saahib said:
    What on the earth they were thinking when this type of staging idea popped up.
    Tussi great ho.

Changing hosts is usually preferred if the site has hardlinks and not all relative ones.