Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally got a job brothas - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Finally got a job brothas

13»

Comments

• RazzaRazza Member

@NobodyInteresting said:

@SirFoxy said:
    lmao wtf is this shit how is it unbelievable a 16 year old got a job as a bus boy

16 year olds say "fuck off" and "dick" all the time btw

A 16yr old with no identification and no bank account got a job.
    Yes, it is indeed very much unbelievable.

Probably a cash in hand job.

• @EasyCompany251 said:
    Congrats on the job! What are you going to spend your first pay cheque on?

Save it and might either go with a provider or just buy a server for myself. I have ram sticks and 2 HDDs laying around I can throw into RAID

• @NobodyInteresting said:

@SirFoxy said:
    lmao wtf is this shit how is it unbelievable a 16 year old got a job as a bus boy

Are you stupid?

• @Razza said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

@SirFoxy said:

Probably a cash in hand job.

This.

• @TheSleeplessSysAdmin said: Got a job as a bus boy

Hi, I see you are a smart young man who has some knowledge, maybe register on the platforms as a freelancer, this may eventually be your main income.

it takes time, some effort but then you can get a little more for a bus boy

Good luck!

• emgemg Veteran

Congrats on your job. Hopefully you can use it as an opportunity to learn more about all sides of restaurants, from business operations, to food preparation, to customer service.

I had two jobs as a bus boy:

The first one was cleaning up and setting tables in a restaurant. It is a long story, but it wasn't the job I was hired to do, and I quit a couple weeks later. I was in my teens.

Does designing computers and related hardware count as "bus boy"? :-)

• ralfralf Member

@emg said:

The first one was cleaning up and setting tables in a restaurant. It is a long story, but it wasn't the job I was hired to do, and I quit a couple weeks later. I was in my teens.

I had to google the term last week, because we don't call it that in the UK. The closest is "general dogsbody". But anyway, what I read says that a bus boy does anything and everything that's needed. So cleaning up and setting tables sounds exactly like (a subset of) the job you were hired for!

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

I am happy that parents let kids to get a job while being 16 in America.

In my country, atleast in my society getting a job as -18 is considered being poor, or planning out to run out without family, and since most parents care about their "social status" they didn't let me get a job, instead they insisted me to do some extra chores and get some raise in my pocket money.

Thanked by 2yoursunny Erisa
  • @FatGrizzly said:

In my country, atleast in my society getting a job as -18 is considered being poor, or planning out to run out without family, and since most parents care about their "social status" they didn't let me get a job, instead they insisted me to do some extra chores and get some raise in my pocket money.

What country? That's fucked up.

• @ralf said:

@emg said:

I had to google the term last week, because we don't call it that in the UK. The closest is "general dogsbody".

I'm not in love with "bus boy" term, but I hear the phrase "bus that table" to clean it so it makes sense to me. But "general dogsbody" is simply silly.

Reminds me of the show, Preacher, though.

• adlyadly Veteran
    edited June 2022

@TimboJones said:

@ralf said:

@emg said:

I had to google the term last week, because we don't call it that in the UK. The closest is "general dogsbody".

I'm not in love with "bus boy" term, but I hear the phrase "bus that table" to clean it so it makes sense to me. But "general dogsbody" is simply silly.

Reminds me of the show, Preacher, though.

Apparently, waiter’s assistant is the UK version of the term, but I’ve never heard it used in person.

@TimboJones said:

@FatGrizzly said:

India, mostly in the richer sides of country.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • It literally doesn't cost a thing to act supportive and encourage a fellow human being. No person throughout human history became poorer for sharing kindness. Just saying.

And good on you OP, keep the hustle going. I was bored before the pandemic and randomly got a dishwashing job, but was the only person in BoH with a brain cell, and ended up Kitchen Lead and training new hires 3 weeks in.

Thanked by 2yoursunny emg
  • adlyadly Veteran

@FatGrizzly said:

@TimboJones said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Not surprising. It seems many Indians are obsessed with social status and maintaining face above anything else.

@adly said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@TimboJones said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Not surprising. It seems many Indians are obsessed with social status and maintaining face above anything else.

Dunno man, seems like it.

I come from the southern part of India, here you can see a lotta North Indians working for cheap (from Bihar, uttar pradesh etc), and they are OK with low wages, hence most South Indians went for hiring those people instead of doing it themselves and there it begins.

Now even if i manage to get a job, the wage won't be worth the job.

Thanked by 1adly
  • ralfralf Member
    edited June 2022

@TimboJones said:
    But "general dogsbody" is simply silly.

That's not what you'd find on the job description, just what people would informally refer to it as. Also "lackey" if all your odd jobs are for one person (like a PA more more random jobs).

To explain, "dogsbody" generally refers to someone who does important work, but who is undervalued because nobody realises how important that work really is, so they normally get treated poorly in the job.

• emgemg Veteran

@emg said: I had two jobs as a bus boy:

Clarifying:

• I assume that the "busboy" job title is obsolete and no longer used. It would probably be called "Assistant Server" or something like that today.
    • I had that first busboy job before 99% of the members here were born.
    • The job I was hired to do was very different than "busboy". The very large employer told me to take the busboy job for two weeks to go through the mandatory "new employee orientation." After completing orientation, the employer would transfer me to the job I was hired to do. According to the employer, it was the fastest way to hire me into that new job and they did it often.
    • The work environment for busboys there was poor. The waitresses (now "servers") frequently abused the busboys. The waitresses received 95% of the customer tips, while the busboys did most of the work and received a measly 5% of tips.
    • When I completed orientation, problems with the transfer suddenly appeared, and I was required to work a full summer as a busboy before the transfer would take place. It was a classic bait and switch. As soon as the employer broke their commitments, I quit.
  • @SpeedTest said:

@TheSleeplessSysAdmin said: Got a job as a bus boy

Hi, I see you are a smart young man who has some knowledge, maybe register on the platforms as a freelancer, this may eventually be your main income.

it takes time, some effort but then you can get a little more for a bus boy

Good luck!

How would I even go about that?

• @vasharoon said:
    It literally doesn't cost a thing to act supportive and encourage a fellow human being. No person throughout human history became poorer for sharing kindness. Just saying.

And good on you OP, keep the hustle going. I was bored before the pandemic and randomly got a dishwashing job, but was the only person in BoH with a brain cell, and ended up Kitchen Lead and training new hires 3 weeks in.

What does OP even mean lol? But thanks

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@TheSleeplessSysAdmin said: What does OP even mean lol? But thanks

Original Poster (you in this case). It can also mean Original Post, the first post of this thread.

Thanked by 2vasharoon emg
  • xbdmxbdm Member

Good luck with your bus boy job. Hope it works out for you great!

• @vasharoon said:
    It literally doesn't cost a thing to act supportive and encourage a fellow human being. No person throughout human history became poorer for sharing kindness. Just saying.

Doubt that nonsense. That's probably the first sign of a mark to a scammer.

• @emg said:

@emg said: I had two jobs as a bus boy:

Clarifying:

• I assume that the "busboy" job title is obsolete and no longer used. It would probably be called "Assistant Server" or something like that today.

In before "table clearing engineer" becomes a thing. sigh

Thanked by 1emg
  • people definitely still use the word busboy

• grepgrep Member

@Jake4 said:

@grep said:
    Literally has a Sam Hyde Ted Talk avi and you are like "hmm this might be a troll." Lmfao.

LowEndDetectives have become worthless. 1000% useless.

Bro Sam Hyde isn't a troll, he trained thousands of African refugees how to code and your treating him like a 4chan user

Lmfao. This guy knows.

• @Arkas said:

@TheSleeplessSysAdmin said: What does OP even mean lol? But thanks

Original Poster (you in this case). It can also mean Original Post, the first post of this thread.

Oh ok

• emgemg Veteran

@TimboJones said:

@vasharoon said:

@vasharoon is right. You can choose to be a decent, supportive human being or you can be something else.

What an awful, jaded point of view ... that being kind and encouraging is a bad idea. Common decency appears to be less common these days, but that does not make it wrong.

Thanked by 2yoursunny vasharoon
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@emg said:

@TimboJones said:

@vasharoon said:

@vasharoon is right. You can choose to be a decent, supportive human being or you can be something else.

What an awful, jaded point of view ... that being kind and encouraging is a bad idea. Common decency appears to be less common these days, but that does not make it wrong.

Exactly.

Thanked by 1vasharoon