Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do providers normally charge to open ports? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do providers normally charge to open ports?

2»

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@tjn said: What is it even supposed to achieve?

Possibly to deal with people hosting botnet files and such. It's almost guaranteed that xTom has stricter abuse policies than CC.

Francisco

Thanked by 2FrankZ skorous
  • @Francisco said:

@tjn said: What is it even supposed to achieve?

Possibly to deal with people hosting botnet files and such. It's almost guaranteed that xTom has stricter abuse policies than CC.

Francisco

Isn't it that usually most abuse comes from outgoing traffic and not incoming?
    I mean even for compromised services, they use them later to spam or ddos.
    I know lot's of VPN providers using xTom, clearly they have nothing against proxies of any sort.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@luckypenguin said: Isn't it that usually most abuse comes from outgoing traffic and not incoming?

All those botnets need a webserver on 80/443 to serve their 'bins'.

Francisco

• AstroAstro Member

Here’s another gem

https://ibb.co/RgL85x1

Because automated deployments of under $7 machines requires $5 worth of work. Starting to feel like a ton of in app purchases.

Thanked by 2ralf emgh
  • VoidVoid Member

@Astro said:
    Here’s another gem

https://ibb.co/RgL85x1

Because automated deployments of under $7 machines requires $5 worth of work. Starting to feel like a ton of in app purchases.

Starting to feel like Racknerd is far better.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • ralfralf Member

I mean, it's not unreasonable to charge a setup fee, I guess. It's just it might be better communicated by putting up the price by $0.50 per month and giving a $6 reduction for annual payments. But given all the examples I've seen posted of their support, I'm not sure they care about the manner of communication.

• JabJabJabJab Member

@ralf said: It's just it might be better communicated by putting up the price by $0.50 per month and giving a $6 reduction for annual payments

0.5$ increase won't stop abusers ordering it for month and moving on after ban. I assume VirMach did some research and they decided it will help in a long run.

Yes, this fee is total shit, but it is supposed to be some kinda anti-abuse-discourage people/price barrier - it's almost doubling the price.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • ralfralf Member

Ah good point. I hadn't considered what their churn rate might be, I just assumed most users would want long term anyway.

• @JabJab said: Yes, this fee is total shit, but it is supposed to be some kinda anti-abuse-discourage people/price barrier - it's almost doubling the price.

Plus if you're a real customer it's a one time fee where if you're an spammer/phisher it's every time you get banned.

• RefinedHostRefinedHost Member, Host Rep

Hello,
    I never heard of that haha. Just curious, how much are they charging if you don't mind sharing?

• Has Virmach been acquired by EA?

Thanked by 1gzz
  • emghemgh Member

@RefinedHost said:
    Hello,
    I never heard of that haha. Just curious, how much are they charging if you don't mind sharing?

:/