Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM OMG! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM OMG!

Comments

• emghemgh Member

@lowfront said:
    @Francisco

So your changed your story from not long ago huh?

https://imgur.com/a/WxBYKut

at the time you confirmed that
    any host under 2G throttles to 50mbps
    any host under 1G throttles to 25mbps

you're confusing 4 gigs a day with a 4 gb vps.

• emghemgh Member

@melp57 said:

@hadawayandplay said:

@melp57 said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@melp57 said: I'll stick to auto provision provider, never had to jump through so many hoops.
    The time you are spending on here explaining things could be spent manually setting up my (paid) service. Just saying...

Just out of wondering. Why can you not wait for a small period of time? Why must it be instant?

It's not a matter of waiting, I want what I paid for. It's like going to the store and buying milk and eggs, pay for it and they tell you to come back in a few days to pick up your groceries.

It's demonstrably not like buying milk and eggs at all. There's generally no abuse that can occur as a result of buying these items (apart from throwing the eggs at someoone). It's hardly comparable to buying a hosting service where you do a lot of damage in a short period of time.
    Clearly the level of fraud checks that BuyVM do isn't for everyone, but I do agree that they should be more transparent to make this process clearer. Taking the funds before provisioning is somewhat frustrating and particularly so if they've not spelt that our prior to the purchase being made as it locks up your funds, which for some people means they need to wait for a long time for a refund before they can use an alternative provider who can provide a speedier service.

I guess the other companies I've purchased from have large losses due to provision their Servers when you order. Too bad for them, but they are still in business.
    Mine still hasn't been setup, it's Monday during their business hours. I don't even have anything to cancel, but they have my funds.....

If you're that impatient DO or Vultr likely would be a much better fit.

• @emgh said:

fixed

@Francisco

any host under 2G ram throttles to 50mbps
    any host under 1G ram throttles to 25mbps

• emghemgh Member

@lowfront said:

@emgh said:

fixed

@Francisco

any host under 2G ram throttles to 50mbps
    any host under 1G ram throttles to 25mbps

100 mbps per 4 gb dosen't equate to 4 gb of network used per day though. it's not as shitty as you make it out to be.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2022

@lowfront said:
    @Francisco

any host under 2G throttles to 50mbps
    any host under 1G throttles to 25mbps

Those are what a user's limits are, but I've not capped anyone that low in literal years.

Even still, 25Mbit/sec is going to give you more than 4GB/day :)

Caps aren't automated in anyway as well. Caps are applied manually after we look through a users graphs. Is it a short term peak or have they been slamming things non stop since they signed up? Things like that.

@melp57 said: Mine still hasn't been setup, it's Monday during their business hours. I don't even have anything to cancel, but they have my funds.....

Mind checking that? Karen's been on shift for quite a few hours.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Logano
  • emghemgh Member

@lowfront said: any host

Also, not "any vps", he said that goes for 24/7 usage in your own screenshot.

• @melp57 said:

It's not a matter of waiting, I want what I paid for. It's like going to the store and buying milk and eggs, pay for it and they tell you to come back in a few days to pick up your groceries.

Fine tuning your analogy, I'm sure if you fly to British Columbia and hand them money they'll happily provision you immediately.

@skorous said: Fine tuning your analogy, I'm sure if you fly to British Columbia and hand them money they'll happily provision you immediately.

In Vegas these days :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1skorous
  • @emgh said:

I did 3 days off and on transfers at 25mbps and they throttled me to 100kbps. Never experienced anything like it before.

@lowfront said:

@emgh said:

I did 3 days off and on transfers at 25mbps and they throttled me to 100kbps. Never experienced anything like it before.

We don't limit that low. Your own quote says we do 25Mbit, so where is 100KB/sec coming from? Even 512's get a 100mbit/sec cap from me.

I'm the only person that does bandwidth capping, no one else.

Francisco

Thanked by 2SinV Logano
  • 100KB/sec is why I had left your service after 3 days.

Right after someone was complaining about slow transfers to their own storage box from you it happened too. Might just be coincidence.

I'm sure that 25mbps you gained by cutting me off really helped a ton.

• @Francisco is there any replication or any type of disk failure protection for the block storage slabs?

@lowfront said:
    100KB/sec is why I had left your service after 3 days.

Right after someone was complaining about slow transfers to their own storage box from you it happened too. Might just be coincidence.

I'm sure that 25mbps you gained by cutting me off really helped a ton.

Show a graph with the cap then :) Otherwise it's your word against mine on this and I'm not going to argue anymore.

Francisco

@dotcomUNDERGROUND said:
    @Francisco is there any replication or any type of disk failure protection for the block storage slabs?

RAID10.

I tried to make Ceph work for us over the past few months but I couldn't get anything resembling decent performance. This is with NVME's for blockDB and all that fun stuff. Tons of RAM, CPU, you name it, but we'd get 10 - 20MB/sec reads off the damn thing when it was only half way full.

Since then I built a new system for our slabs that allows better management on our part, also limits some of the pain points the old setup has. Around half of Vegas has been migrated to the new setup, with another node converting today.

Francisco

• @mwt said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:
    Just out of wondering. Why can you not wait for a small period of time? Why must it be instant?

For me and BuyVM, it was the fact that you cannot buy a storage slab until after the server is provisioned. After three days of waiting for provisioning, there were no slabs in stock.

I think I was able to order them together. You just need to add the vps first on you cart, and then add the slab.

• lowfrontlowfront Member
    edited June 2022

@Francisco said:
    This is with NVME's for blockDB and all that fun stuff. Tons of RAM, CPU, you name it, but >we'd get 10 - 20MB/sec reads off the damn thing when it was only half way full.

Yes exactly someone was complaining about slow speeds to YOUR storage slabs. So instead of fixing the issue you just cut off my NFS port.

• @melp57 said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@melp57 said: I'll stick to auto provision provider, never had to jump through so many hoops.
    The time you are spending on here explaining things could be spent manually setting up my (paid) service. Just saying...

For a provider where you need to wait for things to be available in stock, I can't be bothered much for a little delay in provisioning.

@lowfront said: Yes exactly someone was complaining about slow speeds to YOUR storage slabs. So instead of fixing the issue you just cut off my NFS port.

We had a separate cluster doing Ceph this past year only, literally for < 2 months. No new provisions were ever sent to it, it was a selection of very old slabs, so your supposed issue wasn't related to that.

Tell you what, let me know if you ever want to give us another go, and i'll kick you 3 months on a service and slab as a goodwill gesture on our part.

@dotcomUNDERGROUND said: I think I was able to order them together. You just need to add the vps first on you cart, and then add the slab.

Correct, you can order them at the same time, assuming both are in stock. I just freed up some more room in Vegas so there's a bit there.

We had to put the restriction in place where you can't order a slab first because we'd get people thinking it was object/ftp/webdav storage, and then would open a ticket wondering where their login details were.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    Tell you what, let me know if you ever want to give us another go, and i'll kick you 3 months on a service and slab as a goodwill gesture on our part.
    Francisco

I had 3 VPS ordered that I cancelled. I do appreciate the good customer service almost a year later. I'll pass on the offer.

• melp57melp57 Member

@skorous said:

@melp57 said:

Fine tuning your analogy, I'm sure if you fly to British Columbia and hand them money they'll happily provision you immediately.

I'm six miles from the border of BC, why didn't I think about that! 😀

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

How quick do people sign up with those stock notification? Literally click links as soon as they arrived ‘No Stock’

@JamesF said:
    How quick do people sign up with those stock notification? Literally click links as soon as they arrived ‘No Stock’

There's a good few people on them as well as at least 1 discord server tracking:

https://discord.gg/tyvpjqmgwq

Francisco

Thanked by 1JamesF
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

@melp57 said:
    I guess the other companies I've purchased from have large losses due to provision their Servers when you order. Too bad for them, but they are still in business.
    Mine still hasn't been setup, it's Monday during their business hours. I don't even have anything to cancel, but they have my funds.....

You do know today is a federal holiday and per the TOS section 7,1,2 they would still be closed today.
    So if your server gets provisioned. I would be happy.

• emghemgh Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@melp57 said:

You do know today is a federal holiday and per the TOS section 7,1,2 they would still be closed today.

Most providers do provision instantly though so it’s not that weird to be suprised by the fact that it take days to get a VM.

HOWEVER, he should have the patience to wait since he didn’t lookup if it was instant or not.

//thread

• melp57melp57 Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@melp57 said:

Maybe I will try your service. Link?

• melp57melp57 Member

@melp57 said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@melp57 said:

All is good

• melp57melp57 Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@melp57 said:

All is good.
    BTW, what service do you offer?
    Links?

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@melp57 said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@melp57 said:

All is good.
    BTW, what service do you offer?
    Links?

All of my services are in my signature but here you go. We also have a manual provisioning.
    https://my2.dataideas.com/store/

BuyVM @Francisco is good people! If looking for the coasts BuyVM got you covered.

Thanked by 1melp57
  • LoganoLogano Member

@melp57 Manual provisioning can be annoying, but it also reduces abuse risk for the provider, which in turn leaves you with a more stable service at a lower price point. Once you've "done your time", you'll appreciate that your server mates are at least minimally vetted.

Thanked by 2DataIdeas-Josh Arkas