Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM OMG! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM OMG!

Comments

• emghemgh Member
    edited June 2022

@Francisco said:

@emgh said:
    My experience is meh. Support was rude and closed a ticket without any response when I pointed out that their webserver don’t capture my IP when using Cloudflare Warp (not Fran, but don’t want to expose someone with name).

It honestly was kind of unprofessional.

Later, my client’s websites were running slow. I wanted to upgrade since he was having a traffic spike. Not possible. Scaling is non-existant since they’re always out of stock.

Moved to CPX11 on Hetzner and the experience is much better.

I’d still use them for hobby stuff, I really like the performance, Fran & the control panel - but the attitude I got when pointing out that I wasn’t using a VPN (they insisted I was and when I explained they closed the ticket) combined with the issue of it being impossible to scale just isn’t ideal for anything else.

Edit: I might just be an annoying client, but I’ve never had issues getting issues fixed with other providers, like Hetzner.

Thanks for the honest feedback. I'll gladly look over a ticket if you care to share :)

Francisco

Sure: #916358. You guys closed the ticket mid-convo but the last response is from when I asked in the Discord if I did something wrong and put the ticket ID in the questions channel.

Honestly happy overall but my client pays me like 2.5 k a year for just web hosting so I can’t risk something like that happening if something’s actually wrong.

Otherwise happy. Good performance and nice panel as said :)

Edit: The response being ”ok” and no advise regarding getting the server I purchaded also didn’t quite scream professional :(

But hey, everyone’s got bad days :)

• @emgh said:
    their webserver don’t capture my IP when using Cloudflare Warp

@emgh said:
    I wasn’t using a VPN (they insisted I was and when I explained they closed the ticket)

CF Warp is a VPN. If the site is behind Cloudflare they'll see your real IP, if they aren't, they'll see a Cloudflare IP. Doesn't sound all that unreasonable to me.

Thanked by 3emgh maverickp Logano
  • emghemgh Member

@Peppery9 said:

@emgh said:

@emgh said:
    I wasn’t using a VPN (they insisted I was and when I explained they closed the ticket)

CF Warp is a VPN. If the site is behind Cloudflare they'll see your real IP, if they aren't, they'll see a Cloudflare IP. Doesn't sound all that unreasonable to me.

Technically, yes.

However, CF adds the real IP to the header (I think).

Nevertheless, the issue for me isn't the Warp, but how it was handled. If my server is acting weird due to something outside of my control, I can't have a ticket closed mid-convo for what I'm hosting.

Thanked by 1Peppery9
  • melp57melp57 Member

@Francisco said:

@melp57 said:
    Why does buyvm change to frantech when you place order. Don't like that they manually provision your Server. You have to wait several days if on weekends.

Correct, Paypal and CC's require manual verification.

If you order late on a Saturday it'll be Monday when you get checked.

Francisco

Your the only provider I've ever seen that does manual provisions, and I'm talking about 10 or so I've purchased from. My only beef is you don't find out about it until you pay and receive email. I guess you have your reason. Payment should be taken in conjunction with provision.
    I know, if I don't like it, go somewhere else.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

@melp57 said:
    Your the only provider I've ever seen that does manual provisions, and I'm talking about 10 or so I've purchased from. My only beef is you don't find out about it until you pay and receive email. I guess you have your reason. Payment should be taken in conjunction with provision.

We also do manual provisions on all payments.
    Alot of it is just to check our fraud systems to make sure there aint going to be any issues.

It's been awhile since I have purchased any new service from @Francisco but from what your saying with it in the email. They are at least letting you know. Also you do click that little checkbox saying you agree to their TOS. https://buyvm.net/terms-of-service/ and its under 6,1,2. saying it may take some time. :)

Thanked by 1Logano
  • melp57melp57 Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@melp57 said:
    IAlso you do click that little checkbox saying you agree to their TOS. https://buyvm.net/terms-of-service/ and its under 6,1,2. saying it may take some time. :)

When you purchase, your taken to a different site and that info isn't seen.

@melp57 said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@melp57 said:
    IAlso you do click that little checkbox saying you agree to their TOS. https://buyvm.net/terms-of-service/ and its under 6,1,2. saying it may take some time. :)

When you purchase, your taken to a different site and that info isn't seen.

Good day,
    On the checkout page at the bottom where it asks you for payment. There is a part with a checkbox that says "I have read and agree to the Terms of Service" And the "Terms of Service" takes you to https://buyvm.net/terms-of-service/ .

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2022

@melp57 said: Your the only provider I've ever seen that does manual provisions, and I'm talking about 10 or so I've purchased from. My only beef is you don't find out about it until you pay and receive email. I guess you have your reason. Payment should be taken in conjunction with provision.

It depends how you pay and how long you've been a customer. There's a few customer status' that can help with provisioning. Your 'status' is set either at order time, or after a set amount of time. Here's a quick breakdown:

Your first payment is Paypal/CC: Your account will require manual verification. Your address must match, as well as your name. Your order will get provisioned M-F 9-5. Once you've been an active customer for 6 months, you gain Premier Status that auto provisions your service.

Your first payment is Crypto/Alipay/Webmoney: No verification is done on your account. Orders are provisioned once we're notified the payment has cleared. When you pick this status you're locked to these payment methods and can't use Paypal/CC.

Promotions to Premier Status happens automatically on your 181st day of being an active customer. As a Premier customer you're able to use any payment method you like without any verification or wait on provisioning. Once the payment clears, you're good.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Peppery9 Logano
  • melp57melp57 Member
    edited June 2022

'
    Your first payment is Paypal/CC: Your account will require manual verification. Your address must match, as well as your name. Your order will get provisioned M-F 9-5. Once you've been an active customer for 6 months, you gain Premier Status that auto provisions your service.

Your first payment is Crypto/Alipay/Webmoney: No verification is done on your account. Orders are provisioned once we're notified the payment has cleared. When you pick this status you're locked to these payment methods and can't use Paypal/CC.

Promotions to Premier Status happens automatically on your 181st day of being an active customer. As a Premier customer you're able to use any payment method you like without any verification or wait on provisioning. Once the payment clears, you're good.

I'll stick to auto provision provider, never had to jump through so many hoops.
    The time you are spending on here explaining things could be spent manually setting up my (paid) service. Just saying...

• @Francisco said:
    Promotions to Premier Status happens automatically on your 181st day of being an active customer.

I thought I was special with that premier tag :D

Thanked by 1Logano
    edited June 2022

@melp57 said: I'll stick to auto provision provider, never had to jump through so many hoops.
    The time you are spending on here explaining things could be spent manually setting up my (paid) service. Just saying...

I don't do anything billing related, that's all on Karen.

Once you're provisioned you can message me your email on here and I'll promote you to Premier if you'd like.

@TheOnlyDK said: I thought I was special with that premier tag

Haha :) It's a cool system, I like it. It also helps with locking down the Add Funds function so it can't be abused.

Francisco

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • @emgh said:

@Peppery9 said:

@emgh said:

@emgh said:

Technically, yes.

Only for CF sites: https://developers.cloudflare.com/warp-client/known-issues-and-faq/#why-is-my-public-ip-address-sometimes-visible

Thanked by 1emgh
    edited June 2022

@melp57 said: I'll stick to auto provision provider, never had to jump through so many hoops.

Just out of wondering. Why can you not wait for a small period of time? Why must it be instant?

Thanked by 2Peppery9 Logano
  • emghemgh Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

Just out of wondering. Why can you not wait for a small period of time? Why must it be instant?

Putting words in his mouth, but: It’s not about needing, it’s about most offering it, therefore he’s used to it and don’t feel like settling for less.

@emgh said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

Putting words in his mouth, but: It’s not about needing, it’s about most offering it, therefore he’s used to it and don’t feel like settling for less.

I just have seen some clients that were wanting it "Now" and it always made me wonder.
    Just something that made me wonder. That's all.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

For hobbyists like me, it's more like "I found this cool deal on a weekend/I suddenly got an idea for a side project but the service won't get activated til Monday so I have to wait another week to play with it because work week" type of thing.

• mwtmwt Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

For me and BuyVM, it was the fact that you cannot buy a storage slab until after the server is provisioned. After three days of waiting for provisioning, there were no slabs in stock.

Because I needed a slab for this project, I could wait month to month hoping that one would be in stock, or find another provider that would let me order the storage and CPU required at the same time.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@melp57 said:

@Francisco said:

@melp57 said:
    Why does buyvm change to frantech when you place order. Don't like that they manually provision your Server. You have to wait several days if on weekends.

Francisco

Laughs at contabo for setup fees on a VPS

• melp57melp57 Member

@Francisco said:

I don't do anything billing related, that's all on Karen.

Once you're provisioned you can message me your email on here and I'll promote you to Premier if you'd like.

I don't need a 'status' I just want my Server that I paid for.

• melp57melp57 Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

It's not a matter of waiting, I want what I paid for. It's like going to the store and buying milk and eggs, pay for it and they tell you to come back in a few days to pick up your groceries.

• edited June 2022

@MallocVoidstar said:

@emgh said:

@Peppery9 said:

@emgh said:

@emgh said:

Technically, yes.

Only for CF sites: https://developers.cloudflare.com/warp-client/known-issues-and-faq/#why-is-my-public-ip-address-sometimes-visible

Wonder if you enable Railgun if the real IP shows at the origin through WARP?

*** Just tested it and yes if you use WARP the real IP shows with Railgun enabled

• @melp57 said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

It's not a matter of waiting, I want what I paid for. It's like going to the store and buying milk and eggs, pay for it and they tell you to come back in a few days to pick up your groceries.

It's demonstrably not like buying milk and eggs at all. There's generally no abuse that can occur as a result of buying these items (apart from throwing the eggs at someoone). It's hardly comparable to buying a hosting service where you do a lot of damage in a short period of time.
    Clearly the level of fraud checks that BuyVM do isn't for everyone, but I do agree that they should be more transparent to make this process clearer. Taking the funds before provisioning is somewhat frustrating and particularly so if they've not spelt that our prior to the purchase being made as it locks up your funds, which for some people means they need to wait for a long time for a refund before they can use an alternative provider who can provide a speedier service.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@melp57 said:

@Francisco said:

@melp57 said:

Francisco

Sorry, but from what I can digest based on your comments here is that, you assumed, well, expected that your service would be provisioned once you've paid for it.

Did BuyVM indicate/state (at least at the time you bought the service from them) that servers are automatically/instantly provisioned? If not, then I don't see anything wrong here with regards to them doing "manual provisions".

Just because "10 or so" other providers you've purchased from does "automatic" or "instant" provisioning, doesn't mean every other host/provider does it - different providers/businesses have their own ways of doing things.

In a nutshell, don't expect if you don't want to be disappointed.

Or you could've just asked, prior to purchasing the service.

Just my 2 cents ✌️

• BuyVM is the only VPS I have used that didn't like me using 5MB/s off and on 3 days before throttling me to 100kbps .

Karen Francisco explained that I can only use 4 gigs a day at 100mbps.

Top Host BTW.

https://imgur.com/a/45meBD6

• emghemgh Member

@lowfront said:
    BuyVM is the only VPS I have used that didn't like me using 5MB/s off and on 3 days before throttling me to 100kbps .

Top Host BTW.

Wait you sure that's what it meant? 4 GB a day lol?

edited June 2022

@lowfront said:
    BuyVM is the only VPS I have used that didn't like me using 5MB/s off and on 3 days before throttling me to 100kbps .

Top Host BTW.

@emgh said:

@lowfront said:

Top Host BTW.

Wait you sure that's what it meant? 4 GB a day lol?

There's no plan that gets capped that low, not even a 512MB.

Services get capped to 100mbit/sec if they're 4GB or smaller. 100Mbit/sec = 1TB/day using it full blast.

Not 4GB.

Francisco

Thanked by 3emgh SinV Logano
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@Francisco said: Services get capped to 100mbit/sec if they're 4GB or smaller

Don't you mean or larger instead of smaller?

• emghemgh Member

@Arkas said:

@Francisco said: Services get capped to 100mbit/sec if they're 4GB or smaller

Don't you mean or larger instead of smaller?

No, 4 GB or smaller are getting 100mbit/sec cap. Larger don't.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • @Francisco

So your changed your story from not long ago huh?

https://imgur.com/a/WxBYKut

at the time you confirmed that
    any host under 2G throttles to 50mbps
    any host under 1G throttles to 25mbps

• melp57melp57 Member

@hadawayandplay said:

@melp57 said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

It's demonstrably not like buying milk and eggs at all. There's generally no abuse that can occur as a result of buying these items (apart from throwing the eggs at someoone). It's hardly comparable to buying a hosting service where you do a lot of damage in a short period of time.
    Clearly the level of fraud checks that BuyVM do isn't for everyone, but I do agree that they should be more transparent to make this process clearer. Taking the funds before provisioning is somewhat frustrating and particularly so if they've not spelt that our prior to the purchase being made as it locks up your funds, which for some people means they need to wait for a long time for a refund before they can use an alternative provider who can provide a speedier service.

I guess the other companies I've purchased from have large losses due to provision their Servers when you order. Too bad for them, but they are still in business.
    Mine still hasn't been setup, it's Monday during their business hours. I don't even have anything to cancel, but they have my funds.....