Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am confused!! Why people like centos rather than ubuntu!! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I am confused!! Why people like centos rather than ubuntu!!

Comments

• @MikeIn said:
    Preferences, support, application, comfort, need, resource use, etc etc! like yum over apt-get and so onn

I don't find any helpful and active forum for centos. There have one but it seems to be inactive.

• yum is shorter than apt-get

• @MikeIn said:
    Preferences, support, application, comfort, need, resource use, etc etc! like yum over apt-get and so onn

I don't find any helpful and active forum for centos. There have one but it seems to be inactive.

• @GaNi said:
    yum is shorter than apt-get

alias ag='apt-get'

• @Spirit said:
    Everyone was able to get free CD with nice covers from Ubuntu when all this started. They even encouraged us to order 10 or more CDs and give them to friends. And oh, they paid postage! :p

Oh really? I don't get any cd. Lolz. I use ubuntu in my desktop because i like its interface and usability.

• @joelgm said:

trolled period

• As long as it is free and you are familiar with it, slackware, freebsd, debian, ubuntu, centos, fedora, trustix merdeka, mandriva, mandrake, manndude, use it.

And never ever run apt-get update on a CentOS as it won't work. :P

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited December 2013

I've always preferred Debian/Ubuntu for server/desktop and Crunchbang as netbook desktop. I guess it boils down to personal preference and the purpose the OS is for. If it's a webserver running cpanel, you need centos/redhat/cloud. Since I run i-mscp which is Debian based, I never required centos.

• I would try PearOS or something similar on desktop, maybe next year.

But as it looks more people is opting for LinuxMint over Ubuntu, though it's based on Ubuntu only. Does i has any major diff. other than UI, like Ubuntu natively does not support file formats and some other things which can be added later on!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I do not know the reason but recently i put mint on a neighbour's old laptop so he has a reserve when his main is reinstalling due to malware and he loves it.

• @Maounique said:
    I do not know the reason but recently i put mint on a neighbour's old laptop so he has a reserve when his main is reinstalling due to malware and he loves it.

I like it as well:)

• @MikeIn said:
    I would try PearOS or something similar on desktop, maybe next year.

But as it looks more people is opting for LinuxMint over Ubuntu, though it's based on Ubuntu only.

There is also a version of Linux Mint that is based on Debian not Ubuntu and it is a rolling release.

Why people like centos rather than ubuntu!!

I don't use either one. Dedis and VPS's run Debian except 1 VPS running FreeBSD, 1 dedi using Oracle Linux, and 1 dedi running Solaris. I used RedHat/CentOS on servers for 11 years but dropped it for Debian. I hate Bloatbuntu.

• ironhideironhide Member
    edited December 2013

When I started with Linux back in 2006/7 - I found it's hard to maintain in CentOS and dependency management was really a pain back then. On the other hand Debian was a blessing with apt and I found the communities were more helpful. But may be it happened because I was already biased by apt over yum. Anyway - Debian is always my first choice

Later, at work, it's mostly CentOS - so I had to learn it too. And surprisingly I realized that except few command and configure things, it's basically more or less same thing.

It's like learning Manual Transmission in driving, once you got the idea - you can drive every cars out there :)

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • I don't like CentOS due to the management of the project.

The team violates the 'idea' of free software.

• Jeffrey said: Why do people like Ubuntu over Debian?

Because Ubuntu is a more "up-to-date" distribution than Debian. For example: Debian Wheezy just came out with Xen 4.1, which has been in Ubuntu since April 2012. There's numerous other packages that suffer from this as well. More importantly even: Canonical providers supports and numerous tools on Ubuntu that makes life easier for sysadmins and large deployments (for example: Ubuntu Landscape).

Also, for desktop: Ubuntu hasn't got a policy again anything non-free, like the Firefox logo or media codecs. It's a normal distribution whereas Debian has to be 100% pure free and open source.

mpkossen said: whereas Debian has to be 100% pure free and open source.

That's also my only problem with it...
    But, oh, well, nothing is perfect.

• smansman Member
    edited December 2013

I started with Debian then moved to CentOS and now I am starting to using Ubuntu for some things because some newer applications I use are primarily documented for that.

So for PHP projects I tend to use CentOS and for Python Projects I use Ubuntu.

IMHO, to have a well rounded Linux skill set now a days you should probably be fairly comfortable with both.

Once you know one it isn't much of a stretch to learn the other. There are far more similarities than differences.

• @mpkossen Yes, that is very true, however, Ubuntu may be more up to date and have more frequent updates, but Debian is more stable. I prefer a very stable environment than a more up to date environment.

Jeffrey said: I prefer a very stable environment than a more up to date environment.

YES ! I need to do things quick and for this need to know exactly what is there for a couple of years.

• @Jeffrey said:
    mpkossen Yes, that is very true, however, Ubuntu may be more up to date and have more frequent updates, but Debian is more stable. I prefer a very stable environment than a more up to date environment.

You could always stick to Ubuntu LTS. But then it kinda acts like Deb anyways - useful for those who need to do a mixture of both and just want to learn one distro.

• @tchen said:
    You could always stick to Ubuntu LTS. But then it kinda acts like Deb anyways - useful for those who need to do a mixture of both and just want to learn one distro.

Exactly what I was going to say.

I'd like to add, though: Debian's support cycle isn't that great. Old releases go unsupported soon (I believe squeeze will be unsupported from somewhere in 2014). Ubuntu LTS for servers are supported for at least five years from the top of my head.

• @mpkossen said:
    I'd like to add, though: Debian's support cycle isn't that great. Old releases go unsupported soon (I believe squeeze will be unsupported from somewhere in 2014). Ubuntu LTS for servers are supported for at least five years from the top of my head.

That's a good point about the shorter one-year grace period on Debs. Somehow though, I find debian dist upgrades a heck of a lot more orderly than trying to get Ubuntu LTS to LTS upgraded. :)

My problem with ubuntu is that they dont "ubuntisize" it so much. Many times the configs from the upstream pass more or less unchanged. This creates problems on upgrades, the user must tweak a lot of things that go broken.
    Debian is able to stick with the config without breaking things on upgrade, most of the time.

• tchen said: That's a good point about the shorter one-year grace period on Debs. Somehow though, I find debian dist upgrades a heck of a lot more orderly than trying to get Ubuntu LTS to LTS upgraded. :)

Well, I can only speak for Debian yet, since I've started running LTS releases with Ubuntu 12.04 (was always on the latest before that), but in my experience, Debian can actually be a pain as well. Especially when you use MySQL.

Anyway, the actual upgrade process boils down to each specific setup, so it could very well be that Debian is more orderly in most cases :-)

mysql and php were somewhat behind on debian before wheezy. I dont see many people complaining about centos though.

• I like CentOS (RHEL and CloudLinux as well) and Debian, especially 7 and the new direction that it's taking with more frequent updates. Ubuntu on the other hand is a hack, borderline retarded fork that gets released twice a year with no regard for quality control as long as their April and October deadlines are met. So no, there isn't much to like about Ubuntu. "Unity" anyone?

• javajjavaj Member
    edited December 2013

@marcm said:
    "Unity" anyone?

Unity is why most poeple started switching to others and Mint, on the desktop anyway. I used Ubuntu for years on my laptop, but when they pulled the unity amazon crap I quickly switched. And yes, by far its been one of their dumbest moves.

But yeah, no big loss, I really like Mint.

• I like yum more than I like apt-get, but on CentOS, I don't know where anything is.

• marcm said: "Unity" anyone?

I didn't like Unity a lot! Old Gnome was Good and simple (Don't know about present one)
    also liked KDE as well.

Though I use Live CD/Image whenever I am willing to use Linux ;)

• marcm said: "Unity" anyone?

I actually like Unity, though the last update didn't really make it better for me. The original plan they had with 12.04 (a 3D and a 2D version) was optimal. It went south performance-wise there for lower-end machines.