Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am confused!! Why people like centos rather than ubuntu!!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I am confused!! Why people like centos rather than ubuntu!!

I am newbie in server management. At first i tried management in virtualbox and my first server os was ubuntu. After that i am in love of ubuntu. Some days ago i bought a vps from bluevm. Then i install ubuntu as a server os. Nginx as my web server. Installed php, mysql and wordpress.

I know cpanel requirement is centos. So i think i have to learn centos. I rebuild my server os centos instead of ubuntu. Then i trying to make my server workable. I hope i will install LEMP stack. So may be i should install yum. I trying to do that by following some tutorial. But i faced problem. It says rpm not installed. I follow another tutorial but i faced same problem.

If that was in ubuntu i can get many help. Askubuntu, ubuntuforums and google helps me with care. But i think for centos there have no good forums for getting help. I tried to solve the problem by searching google. But i don't get any help.

So i think why top/popular tools requirement are always centos. Is ubuntu ugly?

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

Other than for the reasons you stated such as software like cPanel requiring centos I think it's really down to personal choice. I have always used centos so I am used to it, I run Ubuntu on my desktop though.

• Its almost impossible to solve any single problem in centos just by using google. Tried that and failed. On some things i just needed to ask some guys using it for a long time or ask in more than 1 forum at the same time.
    Since that try i always use Debian. Easy to handle and you find help almost everywhere

• Preferences, support, application, comfort, need, resource use, etc etc! like yum over apt-get and so onn

• One can you google with appropriate/ specific need. use CentOS or Fedora/ RedHat and other forums like his and WHT to name a few. Checkout this site cyberciti.biz

:)

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited December 2013

@multi - That's odd, I have never had that issue, I rarely fail to find solutions to issues with centos.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    multi - That's odd, I have never had that issue, I rarely fail to find solutions to issues with centos.

As i said: There was just 1 or 2 of these things. Maybe just an accident that i got those problems. But after switching to debian i could solve all my problems up today.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2013

@W1V_Lee said:
    multi - That's odd, I have never had that issue, I rarely fail to find solutions to issues with centos.

Same. Don't get me wrong I love Debian based systems, but there are little inconsistencies between Debian and RHEL based systems that will get in your way if you learned heavily on one of them and find yourself trying to play power user on the other.

You pretty much use what you learn. However, in corporate environments where Unix based servers are used, RHEL variants tend to be the more common find. So I wouldn't write it off. It's a good learn for a day job.

• But i still got one question unanswered after that testing:

Some guys in here think debian need more ressources in idle then centos. I tried both and i couldnt figure out any BIG difference.

• because centos reminds me of mentos which is really freaking awesome.

Thanked by 2Lee ironhide
  • In a nutshell Centos is the free version of Redhat Enterprise Linux. Its a different group that maintains it but as Redhat release upgrades, they generally duplicate them into the Centos distribution.

This is a generalisation but serves to illustrate - Redhat tends to be more cautious on releases, its never bleeding edge; but generally well tested and 'enterprise' grade. Whereas Fedora is more bleeding edge but almost identical in terms of packaging. Generally Redhat - Centos - Fedora packages can be used on each others system (not 100% of the time but many times).

Ubuntu / Debian is a different packaging type, different disk layout - from my limited experience of Ubuntu/Debian they seem to incorporate new kernel features faster, have newer versions of packages which on the one side is good, on the other potentially means more breakages.

Corporates generally take Redhat because they get software assurance from Redhat, Redhat also issued an indemnity for users when I think it was SCO/Microsoft (whoever) was threatening to sue users of Linux for some infringement.

Most corporates and hosting companies seem to be running on Centos/Redhat/Oracle/Fedora; most desktop users seem to be using Fedora or Ubuntu.

• It's also going to be dependent on your use case. People who rely more on chef and other deployment routines will tend to side ubuntu, partly because of the speed of releases. Most of the cloud stuff is ubuntu. Breakages aren't too much of a deal-breaker since you're only doing a one-click deploy and can go back.

If you hand-tweak or do the usual hosting thing, it gets damn annoying.

• budi1413budi1413 Member
    edited December 2013

At first i'm a CentOS fan, but now i'm more into Debian. I like Debian because it's easier to maintain and usually package update honour the last configuration. Upgrading between major version is possible so i don't need to do reinstallation as long as it works.

• @MarkTurner

Couldn't have said it better myself. I like them both, but if it has customers on it I'm always going to choose CentOS just because of all the key points above.

I like mint on my desktop and I do like other debian based distros too, but when it comes to business, I'd rather have guaranteed.

That and solusvm, cpanel and most hosting software generally wont run on it unless its RHEL or CentOS, I'm sure the reason they do that is because it is thoroughly tested before release.

• I just prefer CentOS as that's what I have always used as a server OS. Yesterday CentOS wouldn't do what I wanted it to (old GLIBC) so I had to boot up Ubuntu, and it took a little getting used to but its still fairly similar.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@mahbub said:
    I am confused!! Why people like ubuntu rather than centos!!

>

Fixed that for you.

Thanked by 1kontam
  • I have knowledge for both distribution though.

• Playing with ubuntu in the first time, then know centos more deep and make friend with debian also fedora, etc. Make close friend with Arch

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I started with slackware as it was the most used in romania at that time then went to redhat 5 or so till the last 9. While there i played with mandrake (mandriva now) and was better for desktop imo, but when fedora came I hated it. Around that time Ubuntu gut the buzz but since was based on debian and I wanted something that does not depend on a company of any kind i went with debian and never looked back to anything.
    Sure, that is my personal preference, but at work is all centos based.
    So, I am "dual-stuck" now :(

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Why do people like Ubuntu over Debian?

Thanked by 2Inglar ironhide
    edited December 2013

@Jeffrey said:
    Why do people like Ubuntu over Debian?

That is the question...
    Well, lately with the cloud buzz, I can understand that, but before i couldnt find many reasons.
    I find their forums more friendly and newbie oriented, it might be a reason.
    I do agree Ubuntu brought a lot of people to linux, and since this was it's goal, i think it did it pretty well.

Thanked by 1lelewku
  • im confused too. Why people like ubuntu over debian

• @cosmicgate said:
    im confused too. Why people like ubuntu over debian

I think a lot of newer/younger poeple started on Ubuntu, so they have just stuck with it. For awhile there it was one of the easiest to use.

• Everyone was able to get free CD with nice covers from Ubuntu when all this started. They even encouraged us to order 10 or more CDs and give them to friends. And oh, they paid postage! :p

Thanked by 2vRozenSch00n tux
  • CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider

Most of people use Ubuntu on their personal computers i suppose but CentOS is installed mostly on web servers.

Quadcone said: CentOS is installed mostly on web servers.

This disagrees with you.

• CentOS for it's stability.

• @Spirit said:
    Everyone was able to get free CD with nice covers from Ubuntu when all this started. They even encouraged us to order 10 or more CDs and give them to friends. And oh, they paid postage! :p

I remember i received 10 cds or dvds from them with 10 very nice ubuntu stickers all the way from Amsterdam FOC in 2006/07

• @Spirit said:
    Everyone was able to get free CD with nice covers from Ubuntu when all this started. They even encouraged us to order 10 or more CDs and give them to friends. And oh, they paid postage! :p

I couldnt find too many friends that could be persuaded to leave Windows behind, and still have a couple of scores of Ubuntu cds lying around. :(

• @cosmicgate said:
    I remember i received 10 cds or dvds from them with 10 very nice ubuntu stickers all the way from Amsterdam FOC in 2006/07

Yes, I got them from Netherland too but like @joelgm said, couldn't persuaded friends to use them. I still have few of those:

• @Multi said:
    Its almost impossible to solve any single problem in centos just by using google. Tried that and failed. On some things i just needed to ask some guys using it for a long time or ask in more than 1 forum at the same time.
    Since that try i always use Debian. Easy to handle and you find help almost everywhere

Debian is also good. But i decided to manage a vps for shared hosting. So i need centos.