Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is torrenting still a thing? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is torrenting still a thing?

Comments

• @AXYZE said:
    Thats also allows for niche thing - you can boost your download speed by utilising two networks on two computers (for example: cable+cellular) :) useful if you have 20Mbps ADSL unmetered + too much data or unlimited on 5G - kinda common in Germany where many people cant get fiber xD
    Idk if that works on one PC too, but it 100% does on two :)

That's cool.

• I can't believe this question was asked.

Thanked by 2jason5545 VayVayKa
  • I’m a big fan to torrenting. It’s fast, it won’t be taken down by single node failure, it’s not controlled by a specific person/group.

It’s also used for distributing illegal content like c*d pn, pirate movie, etc. This is probably the most popular usage now (I’m running a public tracker, this is based on the data I collected)

• ShamimShamim Member

@Kousaka said:
    I’m a big fan of torrenting. It’s fast, it won’t be taken down by single node failure, and it’s not controlled by a specific person/group.

It’s also used for distributing illegal content like c*d pn, pirate movies, etc. This is probably the most popular usage now (I’m running a public tracker, this is based on the data I collected)

who uses torrents other than distributing copyrighted content? and pedophiles are so dumb they use the public trackers for distributing cp where they can be easily tracked 🤔

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • @Shamim said:

@Kousaka said:
    I’m a big fan of torrenting. It’s fast, it won’t be taken down by single node failure, and it’s not controlled by a specific person/group.

It’s also used for distributing illegal content like c*d pn, pirate movies, etc. This is probably the most popular usage now (I’m running a public tracker, this is based on the data I collected)

who uses torrents other than distributing copyrighted content? and pedophiles are so dumb they use the public trackers for distributing cp where they can be easily tracked 🤔

By what I have seen, they DO use public CDNs and hostings like anonfiles or bayfiles. A lot of them use Anonfiles with password locked 7z or zips.

• zcorpszcorps Member

torrents is all about freedom.

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Welcome to 2010.

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • kevindskevinds Member, LIR

Because free file sharing sites are often extremely slow, always full of ads and popups..

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • Torrenting is way better than file download/sharing websites. Torrenting lasts long, no cost, full speed if there're many people downloading/sharing the seeds. The download websites are slow for free users, and the files usually cannot be resumed once the download is interruptted. Also, there're so many adds on those websites and some are even with malwares.

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

So we’ve all agreed the OP is wrong and should be shunned for 1 week, yeah?

• ralfralf Member

@Nekki said:

It'd be more fun to block his ports and force feed him torrents.

• because digital content is still overcharged

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • labraxlabrax Member

many free file sharing service available sucks D

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@ralf said:

@Nekki said:

It'd be more fun to block his ports and force feed him torrents.

Euphemism?

• ariq01ariq01 Member

any torrent search engine alive these day? or still 🏴‍☠️ bay?

• @ariq01 said:

1337x

Thanked by 2ariq01 BlazinDimes
  • zedzed Member

shun op, ban @nekki

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@zed said:
    shun op, ban @nekki

No need to ban, just vote for me to leave and I’ll go…..

• pikepike Veteran

Community arround torrents. There is some german trackers with a really credible community that shares scene releases, which is important in terms of not catching malware. Also these circles allow access to "internals", where especially regarding software there is always useful stuff being released that you would not get anywhere else.

In general software piracy can be very useful when playing arround with stuff and try out things that normally only big corporations can afford a license for. I doubt many people use cracked stuff (excl. games) in a way that actually hurts the industry.

• @pike said:
    Community arround torrents. There is some german trackers with a really credible community that shares scene releases, which is important in terms of not catching malware. Also these circles allow access to "internals", where especially regarding software there is always useful stuff being released that you would not get anywhere else.

In general software piracy can be very useful when playing arround with stuff and try out things that normally only big corporations can afford a license for. I doubt many people use cracked stuff (excl. games) in a way that actually hurts the industry.

I've actually bought a few programs that I initially torrented cause I wanted to try them out first and they didn't offer "no credit card" trials.

Thanked by 1pike
  • @serv_ee said:

@ariq01 said:

1337x

Many search engines are banned by ISP, I didn't even realise at first.

• The days of Rapidshare, Megaupload, Mediafire, etc. (and sites like Warez-bb) are long gone.

Anything good gets removed from Usenet.

Torrenting is all that's left, but there's plenty of content out there, even if it is a little more annoying than just clicking a link (assuming you use a seedbox or something)

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited June 2022

For music, there is a much better solution now though, which is to get Deezer premium (£9/mo if you pay annually) and use Deemix to download stuff at 320kbps or FLAC quality.

You can also use Deemix with a free account, but it's limited to 128kbps

As for movies and TV I have Disney+ and Netflix so there really isn't much more that I want to watch that I don't have access to

• VoidVoid Member

@pike said:

Mind sharing the links and how to get an invite if possible?

• Main problem I see is that the direct sites hide the actual download button behind a tonne of fake ad buttons to get an ad click. I understand the use of ad clicks, but in those sites the actual download may need 20076 clicks and 587 malware apps installed before getting the link.
    With torrent you may click one ad, and the torrent file comes up. If you add an adblock it's just a straight away single click affair.

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • @ariq01 said: any torrent search engine alive these day? or still 🏴‍☠️ bay?

rutracker is another one, it's funny that it's banned in Russia itself.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited June 2022

If you can't directly access the bay, try this:
    https://proxybay.github.io/

top search site:
    https://torrends.to/

Thanked by 2ariq01 jason5545
  • @Shamim said:

@Kousaka said:

Every fucking Linux distro? What kind of question is that?

• @Otus9051 said:

@Shamim said:

@Kousaka said:

By what I have seen, they DO use public CDNs and hostings like anonfiles or bayfiles. A lot of them use Anonfiles with password locked 7z or zips.

Sounds like something a pedophile (ha, keyboard had that predicted) would say.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited June 2022

@asterisk14 said:

@serv_ee said:

@ariq01 said:

1337x

Many search engines are banned by ISP, I didn't even realise at first.

They all have tons and tons of proxy domains.

And to be fair they pop up like mushrooms after rain. Take one down two will take it's place.