Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is torrenting still a thing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is torrenting still a thing?

jason5545jason5545 Member
edited June 2022 in General

Now have many free file sharing service available, I just wondering why are people still choose to torrenting rather than download from a file sharing sites via https?

This question just suddenly pop-up on my head after seeing people finding vps for torrenting.

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Its often slow, for free users, throttled etc.
    Torrents usually go brrrrr

• @jason5545 said: free file sharing

Full of adds and usually locked behind some surveys usable only in few countries.

• LisoLiso Member

I still torrent freely on my home rpi setup, ISP here doesn't seem to care as I don't use any vpn.

Also I got some copyrighted movies, if I move it to my vps-- will the provider know ? Do I risk getting banned?

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

Torrenting allows you to download Linux ISO's, file sharing websites usually don't have high quality Linux ISO's. If they do, then it's either insanely throttled or makes you go through 100 pop-ups in order to start downloading the file. Bandwidth and storage coats money!

Also, torrenting in most cases is so much more faster than these shady file sharing websites and have no stupid limits. Moreover, these shady file sharing websites seem to go offline often while torrents just depend on other people seeding.

• @Neoon said:

That's the case I could think of. Although only capable when your file is popular enough to gain the "brrrr" benefits.

• @Liso said:
    Also I got some copyrighted movies, if I move it to my vps-- will the provider know ? Do I risk getting banned?

I don't think the provider will find out unless you start sharing the stuff with people other than yourself.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

Getting torrents from trustworthy sources/groups is a bit safer (lol) then downloading files from random file sharing sites with no official author/uploader listed.

Thanked by 2jason5545 hostdare
  • @emperor said:

@jason5545 said: free file sharing

Full of adds and usually locked behind some surveys usable only in few countries.

I always treated file sharing sites with surveys a scam, you will never know after you finish the surveys, it will let you download the file or it's just a fake site.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@jason5545 said:

@Neoon said:

That's the case I could think of. Although only capable when your file is popular enough to gain the "brrrr" benefits.

You could get sufficient brrrrr from a single, fast seeder for an unpopular file, slacknuts.

Torrenting also means you’re not reliant on the file sharing site to keep hosting the file - they could remove it without warning for any number of reasons. Links may also stop working over time because domains and paths change.

• defaultdefault Veteran

Torrenting unites people. It seems much better because it's somewhat out of corporations and governments control. In my opinion it is nice to see people helping each other by sharing stuff privately.

Thanked by 2jason5545 VayVayKa
  • dosaidosai Member

Two words private trackers

• sunnygsunnyg Member

@jason5545 said:
    I just wondering why are people still choose to torrenting

Sharing is caring

Thanked by 2Shot2 Pixels
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

yes , usually I hardly use torrenting these days . but sometime I need to look for linux isos which are not available anywhere . free download sites are bloated with ads , so torrents are better . But I do use both as per needs and whichever is convenient .

Thanked by 2jason5545 sliix
  • ralfralf Member

@Advin said:
    Torrenting allows you to download Linux ISO's, file sharing websites usually don't have high quality Linux ISO's.

You should switch to debian. That has lots of good fast mirrors... :p

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited June 2022

Decentralised and free backups. It's much easier to backup the 5-10% of ISOs with <5 seeds than to backup a whole collection of ISOs - the remaining 95% can be easily redownloaded

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • ehabehab Member

if you read torrentfreak.com then you might change your mind.

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited June 2022

Other than mentioned above - if you already have something downloaded on one PC then on second PC torrent will be transferred locally. You dont need to setup anything, it will detect automatically and send via LAN. Nice thing if you have multiple computers in your network.

Thats also allows for niche thing - you can boost your download speed by utilising two networks on two computers (for example: cable+cellular) :) useful if you have 20Mbps ADSL unmetered + too much data or unlimited on 5G - kinda common in Germany where many people cant get fiber xD
    Idk if that works on one PC too, but it 100% does on two :)

• Otus9051Otus9051 Member
    edited June 2022

@jason5545 said:
    Now have many free file sharing service available, I just wondering why are people still choose to torrenting rather than download from a file sharing sites via https?

This question just suddenly pop-up on my head after seeing people finding vps for torrenting.

because people have bad internet
    also free pirated games woohoo

• @jason5545 said:

File sharing sites often limits file downloads if that file is being frequently downloaded by many users.

• VoidVoid Member

@jason5545 said:

Torrenting is giving back to the community. Also
    name one other file sharing service that I can go and search a movie of 4K or FHD quality and download for free which doesn’t give my device 69 virus or something.

• @Liso said:
    I still torrent freely on my home rpi setup, ISP here doesn't seem to care as I don't use any vpn.

If you move it from your computer to your vps, then it's fine.
    Only if you use public trackers, torrent copyrighted content and there is someone by the copyright holder collecting IP-addresses, will get you caught.

Learned this the hard way by forgetting to check for IP leaks, and I got a abuse complaint in 2 minutes lol.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

DDL sites are designed to be slow and annoy free users to the extreme.

Torrents are designed to be fast, resilient and free.

Also torrents are the original source for most non-scene content, while DDL is not the direct source for anything relevant.

• I use Usenet more than torrents. It's faster for me

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@vitobotta said:
    I use Usenet more than torrents. It's faster for me

Usenet is fine, but you have to automate to make sure you get what you want. Can be really to get older stuff on Usenet.

• Tony40Tony40 Member

I don't see the use of it, the speed of the internet today is fast. I can download Linux ISO's
    very fast!

• defaultdefault Veteran

@Tony40 said:
    I don't see the use of it, the speed of the internet today is fast. I can download Linux ISO's
    very fast!

Network is fast my man.

Thanked by 3Erisa Peppery9 VayVayKa
  • I prefer the workflow. Less hassle and hoops to jump through. Also, you can automate it quite a bit. And on private trackers you don't have to deal with ads, captchas, dead links, obfuscated/encrypted links that require special download managers and break all the time, password protection etc. For applications and games I also prefer unmodified scene releases which you rarely get on DDL sites. And I'm old and settled in. Kids these days seem to do literally everything via discord. Meh, thanks, no.
    Having said that, if you have time, motivation and want even more selection, I'd say use DDL and usenet as well. Hell, even soulseek is still a very good source for music where you can find rare releases. And don't underestimate archive.org for older, wired and rare stuff! Rutracker should also be in your bookmarks even if you hate public trackers, because they're simply so huge that you can find rare stuff there (use chromes translator). Oh and reddit.com/r/opendirectories for even more random stuff (via http directory listings and anon FTP) as well as mainstream warez. And the-eye.eu.
    Sorry for disgressing.

• ralfralf Member

Man, there's some filth awesome ISOs at warez.squarefree.com. You guys should totally check it out. Really fast download speed too.

• UrDNUrDN Member

P2P file sharing enables virtually unlimited bandwidth.

I reach 10 Gbit/s with a single torrent without any difficulty. That's hard to achieve when downloading from a single host.

The problem is that the performances are greatly affected by poor Internet access, which most people have.

• Easier to find stuff on trackers rather then ddl sites