Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else scared for their servers in ukraine?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone else scared for their servers in ukraine?

gzzgzz Member
edited June 2022 in General

I have a few servers in Ukraine where I store backups and host a Forum, and I've constantly been worrying that my servers will possibly get harmed.

I saw this pic on the news a few days ago, which made me start thinking about what could happen:

Anyone else worried for their servers?

Comments

• You should always worry about your server if don't do backup

• blackblack Member

It's a good time to backup and implement a fail-over system.

Thanked by 3FrankZ FrankZ hostdare
  • LeviLevi Member

@gzz said:
    I have a few servers in Ukraine where I store backups and host a Forum, and I've constantly been worrying that my servers will possibly get harmed.

I saw this pic on the news a few days ago, which made me start thinking about what could happen:

Which part of Ukraine serving your servers? Massive chunk of that land is not directly attacked.

• Nope, I have a VPS in Kharkiv I put faith in the AFU by pre-paying multiple months

• RapToNRapToN Member, Host Rep

With pictures like this, I'm more worried about the inhabitants.

As long as you make regular offsite backups of your data, I wouldn't worry at all.
    If a downtime of the forum is critical, it would of course not be wrong to move the productive operation to other servers and only store backups in Ukraine.

Thanked by 2ehab hyperblast
  • falrikfalrik Member
    edited June 2022

[Rude, inappropriate comment]

Mod edit (angstrom): Gave a severe warning for seven days

Edit: A bit later, banned this clown

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@gzz said:
    I saw this pic on the news a few days ago, which made me start thinking about what could happen.

When I see those pictures, servers are the last thing I am worrying about.

From a rational technical point of view it does not make any difference to your backup strategy whether your server gets hit by a bomb in Ukraine or a fire in France.

• dane_dohertydane_doherty Member
    edited June 2022

https://blog.cloudflare.com/tracking-shifts-in-internet-connectivity-in-kherson-ukraine/

TL;DR: you're looking at about 5 day outage.

SLA of Russian invasion = 98.6%. That's better than some providers here.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2022

Nah, my Kiev G-CoreLabs is fine.
    But as said above, if the data does matter to you, prepare as if the DC would turn into SBG.

So pretend like the DC has wooden floors and no fire extinguishers.

Thanked by 2zafouhar bdl
  • You might have to worry about some disconnections at times during the war, but your data will most likely be fine if you are okay with some downtime. Of course the provider can not be blamed here as they have no control over the state of Ukraine at the moment. I think your data should be fine, as long as the Russian military doesn't destroy the building the datacenter resides in.

• @jamespeach said:
    You might have to worry about some disconnections at times during the war, but your data will most likely be fine if you are okay with some downtime. Of course the provider can not be blamed here as they have no control over the state of Ukraine at the moment. I think your data should be fine, as long as the Russian military doesn't destroy the building the datacenter resides in.

Russian military can stole the servers too. Russia’s occupying forces stole or destroyed 698 computers from the Chernobyl plant. Keep your backup in a safe place and you are good to go.

• @gzz said: I have a few servers in Ukraine where I store backups and host a Forum, and I've constantly been worrying that my servers will possibly get harmed.

if your servers don't look like washers then they are safe

• JabJabJabJab Member

I have only one question: On what planet (and under what rock) do you live?

You are more than 2 months late with that question...

Thanked by 1SpeedTest