Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"high performance" cms?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"high performance" cms?

before i make my own wordpress frontend

anyone knows any cms benched to be faster than wp?

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

My personal choice is gravcms

Thanked by 2JasonM Otus9051
  • Run a local instance of Wordpress and scrape its files using Puppeteer, then host the static pages. Best of both worlds 😆

Thanked by 3jar AXYZE JasonM
  • WP can be quite fast - depending on one's priorities.

There are also dozens of other CMS-s, and depending on what you need exactly (comments, no comments, webshop/no webshop etc.) the optimal choice may differ.

Having said that, considering everything WP can do and how easy it is to manage content with it, I find it hard to recommend another CMS. For small websites (few pages) I'd recommend no CMS, just static HTML (and CSS+JavaScript if needed to do all you need it to do).

• @bikegremlin said: WP can be quite fast - depending on one's priorities.

that's not the question, you think it's fast but it's for your uses
    I'm talking about 900rps+ on 2 cores
    and i dont use 3rd party plugins

• _cece_cece Member

it really depends if you want an online cms like wordpress or offline like jekyll / hugo or publii. the alst ones are really fast, as its static content which is delivered.

• raviravi Member
    edited May 2022

If you really want fast...
    1) Create your website in react / nextjs / angular / vuejs etc.

2) Create website's backend in any cms and call its content using api in any javascript framework like react / nextjs / angular / vuejs etc.

3) Wordpress is not slow. You can make it faster by tweaking and optimizing. Like disable default css and emoji. Avoid using too many plugins. Use custom theme.

BTW, I prefer Drupal cms :)

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

Kinsta folks at each PHP major release will benchmark a bunch of CMS and web apps and Grav and Kirby https://getkirby.com/ came out on top for out of the box performance for PHP itself https://kinsta.com/blog/php-benchmarks/. Kirby benchmarks at https://kinsta.com/blog/php-benchmarks/#kirby-3611

• Kirby 3.6.1.1 PHP 7.4 benchmark results: 3326.72 req/sec
    • Kirby 3.6.1.1 PHP 8.0 benchmark results: 3514.96 req/sec
    • Kirby 3.6.1.1 PHP 8.1 benchmark results: 3922.77 req/sec

But add a caching layer and yes Wordpress can be fast, I benchmarked my Wordpress blog with 5,000 loader.io concurrent users pushing 2.2 million requests at 50K requests/s with average response time of 60ms on a $5 per month Upcloud VPS but with Cloudflare CDN caching assistance https://community.centminmod.com/threads/loader-io-nginx-test.22503/page-2#post-93067 ^_^

Thanked by 5tjn Lee AXYZE ariq01 fan
  • elliotcelliotc Member

@duckeeyuck said:

@bikegremlin said: WP can be quite fast - depending on one's priorities.

that's not the question, you think it's fast but it's for your uses
    I'm talking about 900rps+ on 2 cores
    and i dont use 3rd party plugins

Man days of a programmer vs vps monthly cost. I would just upgrade the vps.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

JAMStack + simple Markdown files or JamStack with a headless CMS

• @ravi said: 1) Create your website in react / nextjs / angular / vuejs etc.
    2) Create website's backend in any cms and call its content using api in any javascript framework like react / nextjs / angular / vuejs etc.
    3) Wordpress is not slow. You can make it faster by tweaking and optimizing. Like disable default css and emoji. Avoid using too many plugins. Use custom theme.

Let's go one step further:
    you dont need a javascript framework, you need a frontend that serves cached static content created dynamically

also i didnt say it's slow, i asked for faster dood, but ty

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@stevewatson301 said:
    Run a local instance of Wordpress and scrape its files using Puppeteer, then host the static pages. Best of both worlds 😆

That gets my vote. Best of both worlds. Familiarity and developer adoption combined with the removal of vulnerabilities and performance limiters.

• I suggest using Vuefront as frontend for your existing Wordpress https://vuefront.com/cms/wordpress.html.

This depends on your need, take time to pick some from https://www.opensourcecms.com/

• @stevewatson301 said:
    Run a local instance of Wordpress and scrape its files using Puppeteer, then host the static pages. Best of both worlds 😆

sounds interesting.

• DonkeyDonkey Member

JohnCMS

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Does the CMS need to be for dynamic content?

I echo the previous comments of a static WordPress site - I have used WP2Static and CloudFlare Pages with pretty good success.

• LeeLee Veteran

@eva2000 said: https://getkirby.com/ came out on top for out of the box performance for PHP itself

Love GetKirby, sure it's a bit more work to get what you want but it has so much to offer it is really simple if you have a reasonable knowledge of PHP to build whatever you want, they want you want it.

• Just295Just295 Member

While I know that you must be tired of hearing about WP, I too have a very liteweight WP install with no 3rd party plugins. Using lite speed on a 2core VPS I can do the following.

admin@vmi778522:~$ ab -n 100000 -c 1000 http://setupalinuxserver.com/
    This is ApacheBench, Version 2.3 <$Revision: 1843412 $>
    Copyright 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/
    Licensed to The Apache Software Foundation, http://www.apache.org/

Benchmarking setupalinuxserver.com (be patient)
    Completed 10000 requests
    Completed 20000 requests
    Completed 30000 requests
    Completed 40000 requests
    Completed 50000 requests
    Completed 60000 requests
    Completed 70000 requests
    Completed 80000 requests
    Completed 90000 requests
    Completed 100000 requests
    Finished 100000 requests

Server Software: LiteSpeed
    Server Hostname: setupalinuxserver.com
    Server Port: 80

Document Path: /
    Document Length: 54678 bytes

Concurrency Level: 1000
    Time taken for tests: 9.082 seconds
    Complete requests: 100000
    Failed requests: 0
    Total transferred: 5493200000 bytes
    HTML transferred: 5467800000 bytes
    Requests per second: 11010.61 [#/sec] (mean)
    Time per request: 90.822 [ms] (mean)
    Time per request: 0.091 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
    Transfer rate: 590658.94 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
    min mean[+/-sd] median max
    Connect: 0 17 21.0 16 1020
    Processing: 25 74 12.5 73 129
    Waiting: 0 17 7.5 15 91
    Total: 36 91 24.4 89 1113

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
    50% 89
    66% 94
    75% 97
    80% 99
    90% 105
    95% 112
    98% 124
    99% 133
    100% 1113 (longest request)
    admin@vmi778522:~

That getkirby looks interesting, going to download and play with.

Just my 2cents.

Anthony

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

yoursunny blog is proudly powered by Hexo.
    It's infinitely faster than crappy and vulnerable WordPress.
    Author in Visual Studio Code, compile locally, and rsync the static pages.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • DazzleDazzle Member

If you love WordPress and want high performance website, check Frontity.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • JasonMJasonM Member
    edited May 2022

just put litespeed enterprise and lscache at frontend, it will not even touch your WP installation and load pages super fast, throw a CDN with full-page-caching and your WP pages load in less than <700 ms on oversold shared hosting. Add JCH plugin to load all CSS files into single one, and it will be more faster like around 500ms or less. And if you have VPS expect more faster speeds than this average.

in my case, I'm running 23 heavy plugins on 1cpu core/1gb ram shared hosting, with litespeed, cache, and cloudflare caching, opcode caching and don't even touch 300MB RAM and 15% of CPU core mostly (busy blog getting 7K uv per day). thanks to server-side caching.

• ariq01ariq01 Member
    edited May 2022

I used ghost, pretty fast.
    However if u need very high performance one, u need to make it static like other jamstack, hugo, hexo, jekyll, and so on..

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited May 2022

@stevewatson301 said:

This is just WP Super Cache but more difficult :tongue:

Configure WP Super Cache and Nginx correctly, and after the first hit to fill the cache, subsequent hits to a page will be served directly from .htm files on disk, which will be in buffered in RAM if they're frequently accessed.

Alternatively, there's a lot of headless CRMs that can use WordPress as the backend. This is the direction some sites are moving towards, particularly very large WordPress-powered sites: Using WordPress as a backend, but then having a separate static site generator the reads data via the WordPress API and outputs plain HTML + JS files.

@JasonM said: throw a CDN with full-page-caching

Which CDN? Cloudflare doesn't cache HTML files by default, and the proper way to cache WordPress (only cache pages for logged-out users, NOT logged in) is only doable in Cloudflare Business or higher, not on the free plan.

Using the "Cache Everything" rule available in free Cloudflare without the "Bypass Cache on Cookie" only available in Business or Enterprise is risky as it can cache logged-in views and/or serve cached pages to logged in users (which breaks things like the top bar with the edit button for the page)

• @eva2000 said: But add a caching layer and yes Wordpress can be fast, I benchmarked my Wordpress blog with 5,000 loader.io concurrent users pushing 2.2 million requests at 50K requests/s with average response time of 60ms on a $5 per month Upcloud VPS but with Cloudflare CDN caching assistance https://community.centminmod.com/threads/loader-io-nginx-test.22503/page-2#post-93067 ^_^

that speed was nginx serving static files
    That's still not really dynamic

@Just295 said: While I know that you must be tired of hearing about WP, I too have a very liteweight WP install with no 3rd party plugins. Using lite speed on a 2core VPS I can do the following.

Something is being cache'd right there, maybe it's not what you call a 3rd party plugin but it is some cache plugin or func built in, modify your endpoint in your ab command to hit a static file and you wouldnt see much dff, as those rps is what I get on a clean machine with 2 cores on ryzen

don't believe me? go ahead and make a php script that queries a db (can be simple)
    you can't execute it 11k times per second

@saosangmo said: I suggest using Vuefront as frontend for your existing Wordpress https://vuefront.com/cms/wordpress.html.

In that case the client would still be bound by their computer speed when building a website, I want SPEED when building dynamic content

@LordSpock said: I echo the previous comments of a static WordPress site - I have used WP2Static and CloudFlare Pages with pretty good success.

wp2static makes it not dynamic, omfg you people, 30000 wordpress normals here defending it

You guys connect to the api right now and query a post and tell me if you those thousands of hits per second

@yoursunny said: yoursunny blog is proudly powered by Hexo.

It's infinitely faster than crappy and vulnerable WordPress.
    Author in Visual Studio Code, compile locally, and rsync the static pages.

hahah actually my first attempt was building a partial jekyll site, and having my app serve that content while adding/parsing some elements as per the user

@ariq01 said: I used ghost, pretty fast.

300rps on latest versions is hard for me to accomplish on ghost

Anyways I decided to use the wordpress api to make a frontend with crystal and redis + wordpress webhooks
    I use a single site to let normal people handle news/announcements over multiple job domains, then use https://github.com/zachfeldman/rubypress to get the posts according to the website it's being displayed (thanks tags), then it will parse modify it according to the user.
    I'm not going to use js here because these people still run IE on some computers, and once I finish it I don't want to ever update that again as web browser standards change, nty

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • JasonMJasonM Member

@Daniel15 said: is only doable in Cloudflare Business or higher, not on the free plan.

Using the "Cache Everything" rule available in free Cloudflare without the "Bypass Cache on Cookie" only available in Business or Enterprise is risky as it can cache logged-in views and/or serve cached pages to logged in users (which breaks things like the top bar with the edit button for the page)

1. full page caching can now be done with cloudflare workers, no need for business/higher plan.
    2. alternatively, with "cache everything" plus bypass cache on cookie - this I'm using for my wordpress site with cloudflare worker, where it bypasses cache on WP cookie, so admin area/logged-in users are not cached and served dynamic/live pages from origin.
    3. OR with Page Rules, you can bypass cache, for example: www.example.com/wp-admin/* as page rule, you can select "no-cache" or bypass, and cloudflare will not cache those pages at edge and you'll get fresh content.
  • varwwwvarwww Member

If there is no dynamic content like user comments, I think Hugo is the best. More alternatives: https://jamstack.org/generators/

Thanked by 2ariq01 JasonM
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

If you have a choice, for medium to larger projects, stick with joomla (quicker to learn) or drupal (a little harder)
    WP is a hackers dream at this point in its journey, very unfortunately, I use it quite a bit on small projects, mostly static pages.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited May 2022

@duckeeyuck said: that speed was > nginx serving static files
    That's still not really dynamic

But does it really matter? If it does, then you have my other suggestions I posted in my reply too for Grav and Kirby both benchmarked faster than pure Wordpress as per Kinsta's benchmark results.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • sandozsandoz Veteran

No one talks about Data Life Engine (DLE)?
    Much much better than wordpress.

Unfortunately their company are bunch of blind they don't focus in Europe and US market, for example their plugins or Addons / Extensions whatever you want to call. All of them are in russian, most of plugins, scripts, mods are founded in Russian language and that is a problem for European and other countries.

Sorry to say but DLE doesn't recognize this! They have strong chances in being better recognized in the market and they don't know how to do it.

Is like having a mine gold in front of your house and don't catch it.

Thanked by 1zcorps
  • duckeeyuckduckeeyuck Member
    edited May 2022

@eva2000 said: But does it really matter? If it does, then you have my other suggestions I posted in my reply too for Grav and Kirby both benchmarked faster than pure Wordpress as per Kinsta's benchmark results.

kirby works, thanks, everything else is useless, you might think it doesn't matter but thats according to your needs, just like I believe your stuff doesn't really matter because it doesn't fit my needs
    I made a post regarding what I'm doing, I'm not like the average use here where they run their blogs use wordpress plugins for everything because it's "easy"
    i ONLY use crap i can integrate with and avoid any "plugins", don't need them when you're making it output what you want

But I did take a look @ kirby's source to see how i could "steal" their implementation and add my own crap, I will use that for another project, for now, it's making my own frontend, thanks for that

• @sandoz said: Is like having a mine gold in front of your house and don't catch it.

did you benchmark this?