Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EU to have AI automatically scan private chats (including encrypted messengers)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EU to have AI automatically scan private chats (including encrypted messengers)

YmpkerYmpker Member

Seems like EU is planning to automatically have AI scan private chats and force messengers with E2E encryption to embed backdoor to do so. Justification is, as always it seems, to fight CP.. (wasn't this the "reason" why they wanted to introduce upload filters back then, too?).

What's your thought on this?

Anyway, might be worth looking into self-hosted Rocket Chat or the like for family and close friends..

Some sources:

https://www.ccc.de/en/updates/2022/eu-kommission-will-alle-chatnachrichten-durchleuchten

https://netzpolitik.org/2021/eu-commission-why-chat-control-is-so-dangerous/

https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/11/23066683/eu-child-abuse-grooming-scanning-messaging-apps-break-encryption-fears

Comments

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited May 2022

I've been meaning to get this off my chest for a bit, so here goes. Apologies for the "tough love" in my post, and my anger here is directed at the politicians in EU, not at folks in the EU :smile:

The thing I've noticed with the "Eurobros" around here is how they rush to defend every decision taken by the EU and how the EU must be oh-so-great. The primary example has been the GDPR and how any entity that doesn't just kowtow to the EU's demands is seen as evil, as evidenced by all the folks rushing to defend it whenever a negative is mentioned.

However, laws such as the GDPR are ill-conceived and have disastrous consequences. If I, a small business owner, want to operate a global business and collect the customer's email address and phone number, I have to keep a localized database just for EU customers. Even if I'm trying to fetch that database in the non-EU country where I'm incorporated, just to get sales totals for a year, I'm probably in violation of it because I've moved it elsewhere.

There's just no other reasonable interpretation of the law, given recent rulings. Small business outside the EU? Sucks to be you! Meanwhile, "GAFAM" can just spend billions to open up another datacenter.

Now, why did I mention GDPR in a thread that has nothing to do with it? Because it demonstrates the nature of laws that the EU is willing to conceive and how out of touch its politicians are with privacy and regulation, and also the rather docile nature of its citizens and what they're willing to accept.

As the "chatcontrol" laws show, corporations aren't the evil ones all along; and often they're also the ones pioneering privacy. But in this simplistic narrative of "evil big tech" that has been fed to EU citizens, such nuances can't even be brought up and discussed in a reasonable manner, as evidenced by some threads on this very forum.

As for that self hosted Rocket.chat thing that you've been looking forward to: every pedophile and murderer is having the same thought, and I'm surely looking forward to the day when you're handcuffed and placed in custody for subverting the law so cleverly.

At the end of the day, it was never about "evil big tech", it was about restricting citizens' freedoms all along.

/soapbox

• EU... It's white China. Same big brother policies, different color.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@stevewatson301 said:
    I've been meaning to get this off my chest for a bit, so here goes. Apologies for the "tough love" in my post, and my anger here is directed at the politicians in EU, not at folks in the EU :smile:

The thing I've noticed with the "Eurobros" around here is how they rush to defend every decision taken by the EU and how the EU must be oh-so-great. The primary example has been the GDPR and how any entity that doesn't just kowtow to the EU's demands is seen as evil, as evidenced by all the folks rushing to defend it whenever a negative is mentioned.

However, laws such as the GDPR are ill-conceived and have disastrous consequences. If I, a small business owner, want to operate a global business and collect the customer's email address and phone number, I have to keep a localized database just for EU customers. Even if I'm trying to fetch that database in the non-EU country where I'm incorporated, just to get sales totals for a year, I'm probably in violation of it because I've moved it elsewhere.

There's just no other reasonable interpretation of the law, given recent rulings. Small business outside the EU? Sucks to be you! Meanwhile, "GAFAM" can just spend billions to open up another datacenter.

Now, why did I mention GDPR in a thread that has nothing to do with it? Because it demonstrates the nature of laws that the EU is willing to conceive and how out of touch its politicians are with privacy and regulation, and also the rather docile nature of its citizens and what they're willing to accept.

As the "chatcontrol" laws show, corporations aren't the evil ones all along; and often they're also the ones pioneering privacy. But in this simplistic narrative of "evil big tech" that has been fed to EU citizens, such nuances can't even be brought up and discussed in a reasonable manner, as evidenced by some threads on this very forum.

As for that self hosted Rocket.chat thing that you've been looking forward to: every pedophile and murderer is having the same thought, and I'm surely looking forward to the day when you're handcuffed and placed in custody for subverting the law so cleverly.

At the end of the day, it was never about "evil big tech", it was about restricting citizens' freedoms all along.

/soapbox

Totally agree that GDPR is kind of a pita (esp. as a small business). The idea to strengthen privacy rights of citizens may have been initially a good one, however the execution and the people making these decisions, ultimately, seem to have lost the connection to reality and often enough don't have a tech background, whatsoever. Same with the Upload filter thing. Only time will tell what else is in store for us. Don't get me wrong, I think there's a lot about Europe and the idea of having common/similar values that people could benefit from, however, often enough that's only really the case in theory.

• Jake4Jake4 Member

Thank god the UK left the EU

Thanked by 1TWGWolfie
  • If you send encrypted messages electronically you do not want anyone to read, you need to add an offline paper cipher. OTP with a Sudoku is one way.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Stupid bureaucrats at it again...

Thanked by 1let_rocks
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2022

This can be compared with Indian govt asking vpn providers to keep logs for 5 years

Thanked by 1lowendclient
  • Another China.
    Seems all governments aim to do the same thing.
    They have various reasons: child abuse, hate crime, terrorist...

Thanked by 2hostdare bulbasaur
  • @Jake4 said:

In UK it is even unable to access pirate bay...
    They have a similar network firewall like china but fewer block rules...

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited May 2022

Already running my own rocket instances. (One for friends, one for family and one for my local bike community) As soon as I see any shady ass release note I'm not updating anymore and will move to the next one.

Eu is getting dumber by the minute as far as I care. You can't just go "eh yeah this cause CP hurr durr" and just do massive surveillance at the same time.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@stevewatson301 said:
    At the end of the day ..., it [always is] about restricting citizens' freedoms all along.

That nailed it pretty well.

But: let us always keep in mind that it's not we, the people, but the politicians and regimes!

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • sonusonu Member

Guess what the AI was trained on before it's deployment? Your messages! it's just a matter of time. You are monitored anytime anywhere. There's no escape. Unless you move to some desert in Africa. Good luck.

• @Ympker said:

@stevewatson301 said:

/soapbox

Totally agree that GDPR is kind of a pita (esp. as a small business). The idea to strengthen privacy rights of citizens may have been initially a good one, however the execution and the people making these decisions, ultimately, seem to have lost the connection to reality and often enough don't have a tech background, whatsoever. Same with the Upload filter thing. Only time will tell what else is in store for us. Don't get me wrong, I think there's a lot about Europe and the idea of having common/similar values that people could benefit from, however, often enough that's only really the case in theory.

Just wanted to do the stupid +1 on this.
    Exactly my thoughts.

GDPR is shooting small (independent?) websites in the knee. It's expensive and complicated. Allegedly in order to protect the privacy of people who carry camera+microphone recording devices with them all they long, everywhere they go.

Most states (including the EU ones) are apparatus that protect the interests of the powerful/wealthy, and keep the rest of the people in obedience/submission. Flavours and methods differ, but the basic principle is the same.

It will get worse.

• sotssots Member

@mosquitoguy said:
    EU... It's white China. Same big brother policies, different color.

It's hard to balance between anti-crime and protecting privacy. Using AI to do this job may be the best choice, isn't it?

• I hate these proposals to “prevent”, it marks everyone as potential cp senders even if in reality 0.01% of users actually share cp via such services.

• szymonpszymonp Member

@let_rocks said:
    I hate these proposals to “prevent”, it marks everyone as potential cp senders even if in reality 0.01% of users actually share cp via such services.

0,01%? More like 0,0001%

Thanked by 2Ympker hostdare
  • @szymonp said:

@let_rocks said:
    I hate these proposals to “prevent”, it marks everyone as potential cp senders even if in reality 0.01% of users actually share cp via such services.

0,01%? More like 0,0001%

you’re right, more figuratively speaking and too late to edit the comment.

Thanked by 2Ympker hostdare
  • @szymonp said: 0,01%? More like 0,0001%

Page 29: "small minority of adults"

Page 25: "multi-million dollar business"

Well, which is it then, Brian?

• xrzxrz Member

Scan encrypted messages? Then what? They can see shit in encrypted messages lol

• sanvitsanvit Member

@xrz said:
    Scan encrypted messages? Then what? They can see shit in encrypted messages lol

I think Scan includes decryption, and that's what peoples' mainly concerned about.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • rcy026rcy026 Member

@dane_doherty said:

@szymonp said: 0,01%? More like 0,0001%

Page 29: "small minority of adults"

Page 25: "multi-million dollar business"

Well, which is it then, Brian?

Just pointing out that one does not exclude the other.
    100.000 visitors per day could surely generate a substantial revenue, but it is still a small minority of adults.

Thanked by 2szymonp bulbasaur
  • @Jake4 said:

UK has echelon, GCHQ reads (and stores) ALL your emails, text messages and records all your phone calls, also your internet history.

They also share with 5 eyes (Britain's white former colonies) - bit racist if you ask me.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited May 2022

@sanvit said: I think Scan includes decryption, and that's what peoples' mainly concerned about.

so you wanna fool me that they can decrypt the encrypted messages? well good joke :D decryption requires the key usually, and the key can change per message.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@xrz said:

@sanvit said: I think Scan includes decryption, and that's what peoples' mainly concerned about.

so you wanna fool me that they can decrypt the encrypted messages? well good joke :D decryption requires the key usually, and the key can change per message.

I kind of don't get you.

@Ympker said: force messengers with E2E encryption to embed backdoor to do so

• xrzxrz Member
    edited May 2022

@sanvit said:

@xrz said:

I kind of don't get you.

@Ympker said: force messengers with E2E encryption to embed backdoor to do so

you know there is tons messengers out there and its not possible for them to have all "backdoor", probably facebook and same type shit (they are already backdoored anyway).

there is so much alternatives and really encrypted. they cant break encryption so they try "scan" it :D well let the game begin :D it will only encourage people to code new things

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

This is going to be fun.

All the new NEO Banks right, they use A.I too, have a guess how many people complain about Locked or even Terminated Bank Accounts.

Even I get my Card locked now and then for as by A.I defined "sus" payments.

What a fucking shit show.

• This is an encrypted message that AI can not decrypt

Thanked by 1xrz
  • xrzxrz Member

@johnnyquestion said:
    This is an encrypted message that AI can not decrypt

Hello, i am scan AI. I have hard time to decrypt your encrypted message, please delete your message or you will be terminated, in 3,2,1 :D

Thanked by 1johnnyquestion
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@xrz said:

@johnnyquestion said:
    This is an encrypted message that AI can not decrypt

Hello, i am scan AI. I have hard time to decrypt your encrypted message, please delete your message or you will be terminated, in 3,2,1 :D

I’ll terminate your arsehole.

• @Jake4 said:

Because Five Eyes is better? :D