Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

User mcgree using ip tracker in signature - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

User mcgree using ip tracker in signature

Comments

• @CheepCluck said:

@ehhthing said:
    The correct way to do this is to use a server side image proxy rather than allowing image embeds directly.

No, just no.

This is the strategy that every single social media site uses.

• dosaidosai Member

@dane_doherty said:

@default said: The world in general is good, and people in general are nice in their hearts, so they can't stay focused on evil projects for too long, otherwise their mind cracks (hackers included).

I think this is untrue. You hear all the time of burned-out programmers, accountants, office clerks. Ever heard of burned-out drug dealer or mafia gangster? Doing evil stuff keeps your adrenaline level high and you never wanna stop.

• @ehhthing said:

@CheepCluck said:

@ehhthing said:
    The correct way to do this is to use a server side image proxy rather than allowing image embeds directly.

No, just no.

This is the strategy that every single social media site uses.

I did not know that, but it makes so much sense especially since the EU decided embedding external fonts went against GDPR. Soon, they will realize embedding anything would technically go against GDPR and it may become common practice to proxy everything.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2022

@dane_doherty said:

@default said: The world in general is good, and people in general are nice in their hearts, so they can't stay focused on evil projects for too long, otherwise their mind cracks (hackers included).

I think this is untrue. You hear all the time of burned-out programmers, accountants, office clerks. Ever heard of burned-out drug dealer or mafia gangster? Doing evil stuff keeps your adrenaline level high and you never wanna stop.

By "mind crack" I did not mean burned-out; I merely meant the person does mistakes. The adrenaline rush is still there, but the person does mistakes, and more mistakes, as he gets more evil and feels more and more superior. It's those mistakes that show a lack of focus and get the person caught.

Programmers and accountants work with passion. They love what they do, and there is no downside in true honest work. At the end of the day they feel happy and feel productive as they help society with something. Too much work though is always bad, in any environment, especially when it consumes the mind.

I still stand by my view: people and society in general are good (greedy, but good). People are not designed to destroy themselves, even though some love adrenaline too much (going evil).

• @default said:

@DanSummer said:

@FAT32 said:

@LTniger said:
    Remote images should be banned in signatures to avoid such activity. And degenerates who use such methods should be banned without question. I feel violated.

It has been blocked, but I assume this guy added it before we blocked so it wasn't caught

was he or would he be able to match those harvested IP to usernames?

Yes, this can be done, by matching links with replies, then comparing results of multiple threads. One just needs to solve any issue at concept level, then implement it technically.

Fortunately, most abusers and hackers don't have patience or deep focus thinking, therefore most hackers use tools already created to get things done fast. The world in general is good, and people in general are nice in their hearts, so they can't stay focused on evil projects for too long, otherwise their mind cracks (hackers included).

Holy cow!

• @NoComment said:
    This isn't the first time this has happened anyway. Wasn't there a guy who did cookie stuffing to get easy affiliate money and he's still around here?

Interesting. You should name him! :)

• defaultdefault Veteran

@DanSummer said:

@NoComment said:
    This isn't the first time this has happened anyway. Wasn't there a guy who did cookie stuffing to get easy affiliate money and he's still around here?

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

You guys use VPN right?

• I discovered this long ago and even sent them a message about it:

They sent a reply on my Vanilla wall stating that it was an IPv6 measurement experiment, so I just left it at that.

• bdlbdl Member

@stevewatson301 said:
    I discovered this long ago and even sent them a message about it:

They sent a reply on my Vanilla wall stating that it was an IPv6 measurement experiment, so I just left it at that.

• @Shakib said:
    You guys use VPN right?

why? I thought you didn't need that for LET.

• mhnmhn Member
    edited May 2022

@tr1cky said:
    Since admins on these forums don't respond to messages:

User mcgree is using an invisible image in his signature:

Since the corresponding site just throws a 403, it's probably to collect your IP addresses.

Oh, and some advice to @mcgree:
    It's easier to not get caught if you use a valid certificate for your domain.

The fact that you can use any img URL on any part of the website is even more concerning. Just like you did.

I think you can also PM someone with a pixel png to target a specific person's IP?

• @dane_doherty said:
    Ever heard of burned-out drug dealer

You must not know many drug dealers. They're where "burn-outs" comes from.

or mafia gangster? Doing evil stuff keeps your adrenaline level high and you never wanna stop.

Death prevents burn-outs.

• @dosai said:

@dane_doherty said:

It's a good thing they're doing a movie - the finale was pretty crappy, IMO. (Breaking Bad finale being my top rated followed by Black Sails in recent memory).

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@DanSummer said:

@NoComment said:

I believe there is one who posts here a lot still

• @stevewatson301 said: They sent a reply on my Vanilla wall stating that it was an IPv6 measurement experiment, so I just left it at that.

So he basically admitted it was exactly what you suspected and you didn't react.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@TimboJones said:

@dane_doherty said:
    Ever heard of burned-out drug dealer

You must not know many drug dealers.

You sound like you do. I need a bag of flour, 16 green potted plants, and a sheet of SpongeBob squares. Hook me up.

• Peppery9Peppery9 Member
    edited May 2022

All you need to track LET user IPs is tracert, no invisible image required.

• devpdevp Member
    edited May 2022
  • devpdevp Member
    edited May 2022

LET is served through Cloudflare.
    So ip to destination points to Cloudflare ip.

Here is the traceroute in linux:

debian@debian:~$ traceroute lowendtalk.com
    traceroute to lowendtalk.com (104.26.8.4), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
     1  192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1)  0.177 ms  0.177 ms  0.208 ms
     2  192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)  1.149 ms  1.379 ms  1.924 ms
     3  100.96.0.1 (100.96.0.1)  6.778 ms  6.924 ms  7.016 ms
     4  100.100.107.237 (100.100.107.237)  9.098 ms  9.219 ms  8.899 ms
     5  136.232.149.125.static.jio.com (136.232.149.125)  11.033 ms  11.170 ms  11.296 ms
     6  172.16.25.117 (172.16.25.117)  30.098 ms 172.16.4.108 (172.16.4.108)  23.331 ms  26.322 ms
     7  172.16.4.108 (172.16.4.108)  24.767 ms  24.915 ms 49.44.220.145 (49.44.220.145)  25.617 ms
     8  104.26.8.4 (104.26.8.4)  23.984 ms  19.174 ms 49.44.220.145 (49.44.220.145)  22.293 ms

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Interesting...

• defaultdefault Veteran

edited May 2022

Have you guys tried Ping yet? It’s an excellent tool designed to help IT admins holistically complete tasks with productivity. You can learn how to use it here: youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

• devpdevp Member
    edited May 2022

@jar said:
    Have you guys tried Ping yet?

Here is a relative interesting online ping tool:

Thanked by 1jar
  • VoidVoid Member

Yeah it’s big brain time.

• PixelsPixels Member

Maybe I am playing as devil's advocate here but I don't really see it that much of a deal considering that most people nowadays are under CG-NAT and dynamic IPs, making correlation of person-IP much harder. I am not justifying his actions but, either way, I'm not too worried about it. IP addresses by themselves are not personal information.

@Pixels said:
    Maybe I am playing as devil's advocate here but I don't really see it that much of a deal considering that most people nowadays are under CG-NAT and dynamic IPs, making correlation of person-IP much harder. I am not justifying his actions but, either way, I'm not too worried about it. IP addresses by themselves are not personal information.

Maybe where you’re from. My IP hasn’t changed since I moved here.

Thanked by 2MannDude BlazinDimes
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member

I have an static IP since I need one but I don't really see a big deal about this?

• PixelsPixels Member
    edited May 2022

@jar said:

@Pixels said:

That's why I said most. ARIN countries/ISPs have a ton of IP(v4) addresses so they can even spare a few per household but this is not the case for RoW. Also many visits will come from mobile networks which usually use CG-NAT or IPv6.

• @Pixels said:

@jar said:

@Pixels said:

That's why I said most. ARIN countries/ISPs have a ton of IP(v4) addresses so they can even spare a few per household but this is not the case for RoW. Also many visits will come from mobile networks which usually use CG-NAT or IPv6.

meanwhile china abusing the shit out of IPv4s and 6s