Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My experience with OVH
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My experience with OVH

skobaRocketskobaRocket Member
edited May 2022 in General

Good day fellow hosting enthusiasts,

today, I want to share my horrible customer experience with OVH. (hopefully someone with OVH sees this and maybe improves things)

I've been renting Servers and IP Ranges from OVH since 2018, and I never really had any big issues so far. Spent at least 5k+ with them.

Last week I wanted to prolong my dedicated server, in their TOS it says servers will be kept for about a week and then deleted my server was deactivated on 4th of May duo to personal issues I was not able to send the payment earlier, but I sended the payment for 3 Months prolong on the 9th of May so far so good. The Server actually should be prolonged just to make sure I opened a ticket asking them to keep the server.

Well 2 days I got the invoice confirmation, but after I checked my account I saw my server was deleted including two /25 IP Ranges which have been assigned at the moment.

Shocked, I added this to the ticket asking to restore my IPs (at this point I more or less accepted the server itself to be lost).

The Support finally answered just confirming what I already saw (yes your server is deleted because you paid too late (according to TOS I didn't but whatever) what shocked me most no sorry no compensation NOTHING also the support simple ignored what I said about the IPs.

The Support told me that I will get a refund to my account balance for the renewal price I already wired them, I'm still waiting for those credits.

What shock me most is the absolute IDGAF attitude of the support even though I said multiple times that I'm very unhappy with the support so far, they simply ignore that and don't even answer to my requests.

After bumping my questions multiple times they just wrote me today again a fact that I already witnessed that my IPs indeed are deleted. In their failover IP article it clearly says IPs which are not assigned to a server should be moved to parking I don't understand why this hasn't happend?

I made a final attempt today to tell them what I want from them they again completly ignored my complain and wan't to push me to another support department again.

To me this hole process is unbelievable how can a huge provider like OVH act like this? The support is extremly unproffesional and whats even better the support doesn't even sign with a name I work in a medium sized company but even we sign every message with the person currenlty working on it.

https://imgur.com/a/sLhkg3v here is proof of all this the beginning is in german in case somebody is interested I can post a transcript in englisch.

Transcript first ticket: https://paste.ee/p/XFvRT
Transcript second ticket: https://paste.ee/p/LwOv5

At this point I'm really frustrated and don't know what to do anymore I will keep trying over the support but this seems to be a never ending circle so far.

@OVH_APAC @OVHcloud_james @OVH_Matt @OVH_UK @ovhcom

Comments

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

That's the point, OVH is too big that they can't give personalized support.

Have you tried them calling, if there something urgent, always call OVH first. Ticket is only for general stuff.

• due to personal issues payment was late

due to large company issues server was deleted

• @Saahib said:
    That's the point, OVH is too big that they can't give personalized support.

Have you tried them calling, if there something urgent, always call OVH first. Ticket is only for general stuff.

No I haven't called them I thought especially for this very technical issue support ticket would be better since they got all the info they need, also I never really had a positive experience with big companies and hotlines since they tend to outsource it to non-IT related call-centers which than just redirect to the actual tech support.

• @cybertech said:
    due to personal issues payment was late

due to large company issues server was deleted

Thats the other thing technically I wasn't "too late" but etherway like I said I can accept that they delete the server (and of course refund the already paid amount for the server back to my account) but simple deleting IPs worth 600€ and responding like this

• JabJabJabJab Member

So in a nutshell:
    1. You were late with payment.
    2. While being late with payment and still trying to pay you have chosen slowest method ever (aka invoice 2 days later after you paid) - bank transfer? Why not card? Why not paypal? Why not something instant
    3. Around a week passed from due date, OVH deleted your server according to theirs TOS.
    4. Technical support told you they can't do anything, because they are technical support, and your problem was more billing related?

Mate, you fucked up, hard, on all fronts.
    Also they idea that you don't call them (double points for calling OVH, they actually care then and people solved a lot of things via calls that couldn't be done via tickets) on time sensitive mater - just 'a ticket'.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@skobaRocket said: In their failover IP article it clearly says IPs which are not assigned to a server should be moved to parking I don't understand why this hasn't happend?

Just curious, do you have a link to this article?

I guess that the question is how they treat IPs that are assigned to a server and then that server is deleted, which (if I understand well) is/was your case

• ralfralf Member

It's unfortunate for you, but if the roles were reversed and somebody hadn't paid or otherwise given indication that they wished to renew, and you have a massive demand for your servers such that new customers are waiting for them to be released, would you really keep the server around for over a week on the off chance that your old customer might decide to renew late? Because if they did that, they'll lose a week's income from that server. And it's a simple fact that when most people who don't renew a service, they've usually just let it lapse because they no longer want it.

• @angstrom said:

@skobaRocket said: In their failover IP article it clearly says IPs which are not assigned to a server should be moved to parking I don't understand why this hasn't happend?

I guess that the question is how they treat IPs that are assigned to a server and then that server is deleted, which (if I understand well) is/was your case

https://support.us.ovhcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011668000-Getting-Started-with-Failover-IPs

„ Warning: If you delete a Dedicated Server with attached failover IPs, the IPs will be moved to parked. Once IPs have been parked for 31 days, you will be charged $3 per month per IP to keep them on your account. Therefore, if you want to keep these IPs, attach them to another service to avoid this charge.“

People commenting that I fucked up that might be true for the server it self I give them that but that has nothing to do with the IPs and the fact that the support is straight ass rude and ignores or doesn’t help at all.

Also I used a thing called „Echtzeit Überweisung“ which means that it’s a real time wire transfer in the second sended it arrives , so OVH had the money 5 days „too late“ still under the one week they just needed 2 days to figure it out. Like I said I have no problem taking the blame for the late server payment but that has nothing to do with the behaviour and work of the support after that. In my opinion if you have a loyal customer like me which is buying from you more than 4 years than you shouldn’t hesitate to stösst meet half way through.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@skobaRocket said:

@angstrom said:

https://support.us.ovhcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011668000-Getting-Started-with-Failover-IPs

„ Warning: If you delete a Dedicated Server with attached failover IPs, the IPs will be moved to parked. Once IPs have been parked for 31 days, you will be charged $3 per month per IP to keep them on your account. Therefore, if you want to keep these IPs, attach them to another service to avoid this charge.“

I see what you're saying, but I suspect that from OVH's perspective, there's a crucial difference between a customer's deleting a server (= a customer's deciding to delete a server) and OVH's deleting a customer's server due to non-payment (= OVH's deciding to delete a customer's server due to non-payment).

In the former case, that quoted statement applies, but in the latter case, it doesn't necessarily apply (and based on your experience, it doesn't apply).

(I may be mistaken -- I'm just trying to understand their perspective.)

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • DursDurs Member
    edited May 2022

Hi are you german?
    Do you have the contract with OVH germany. Than the solution is easy. Write me a private message i help you. We cann phone call youncan explain me the detail than i tell you what to do?

• @skobaRocket said:
    Also I used a thing called „Echtzeit Überweisung“ which means that it’s a real time wire transfer in the second sended it arrives , so OVH had the money 5 days „too late“ still under the one week they just needed 2 days to figure it out.

Oh lord, that's still going on? I only pay OVH via credit card because all the other "instant payment" methods which work properly for every merchant out there, for OVH they take several hours or days to process.

• Also people need to understand that OVH is billing the IPs one time so you pay a one time fee and not monthly so the late paid server has nothing to do with the already paid IPs the only new factor would be if the IPs stayed in the parking for longer than 31 days which also is not the case.

• sunnygsunnyg Member
    edited May 2022

Honestly you could have done a number of things different to avoid this from happening to you

1. If you are wiring OVH the money and your server has already suspended, you can ask OVH to temporarily reopen the server while the payment is in transit. They do this if you provide them proof that the payment is sent and they reopen your server for up to 7 calendar days.

2. You could have manually moved the IPv4s to either another active server or manually park them. If IPv4s are attached to a server and that server gets deleted, the IPv4s are deleted with that server. They do NOT get automatically parked, you lose those IPv4s.

3. Use Paypal or Credit Card for fricks sake, this isn't the 90s. You are already stretching an already stretched support team. All of Europe, Middle East and Africa's Billing support is handled by one team, in Poland.

Now at this stage you can grind their gears, guilt trip the frick out of them and harrase them over the phone till they compensate you for the IPv4 setup costs. Its going to be hard for you because this situation was totally avoidable, especially if you would've sent the payment early. The supervisor is going to look at that, and tell you to buzz off basically. If that happens your only option would be to complain in some Small Claims court or Consumer's Court. You might win your money back but you may never be able to become an OVH customer again.

For what its worth I've had deleted servers restored (with any attached IPv4) in the past. Deleted servers usually get rebooted to rescue mode, the disks are wiped after 7 calendar days and after 14 calendar days they are either unracked or put back in the stock list. Within those 14 calendar days you can get that server put in a protected state so that it isn't assigned to another customer. I had the French billing team do this for me years ago, I highly doubt the Polish team will do this for you however.

GL

• skobaRocketskobaRocket Member
    edited May 2022

@sunnyg said:
    Honestly you could have done a number of things different to avoid this from happening to you

1. If you are wiring OVH the money and your server has already suspended, you can ask OVH to temporarily reopen the server while the payment is in transit. They do this if you provide them proof that the payment is sent and they reopen your server for up to 7 calendar days.

2. You could have manually moved the IPv4s to either another active server or manually park them. If IPv4s are attached to a server and that server gets deleted, the IPv4s are deleted with that server. They do NOT get automatically parked, you lose those IPv4s.

3. Use Paypal or Credit Card for fricks sake, this isn't the 90s. You are already stretching an already stretched support team. All of Europe, Middle East and Africa's Billing support is handled by one team, in Poland.

Now at this stage you can grind their gears, guilt trip the frick out of them and harrase them over the phone till they compensate you for the IPv4 setup costs. Its going to be hard for you because this situation was totally avoidable, especially if you would've sent the payment early. The supervisor is going to look at that, and tell you to buzz off basically. If that happens your only option would be to complain in some Small Claims court or Consumer's Court. You might win your money back but you may never be able to become an OVH customer again.

For what its worth I've had deleted servers restored (with any attached IPv4) in the past. Deleted servers usually get rebooted to rescue mode, the disks are wiped after 7 calendar days and after 14 calendar days they are either unracked or put back in the stock list. Within those 14 calendar days you can get that server put in a protected state so that it isn't assigned to another customer. I had the French billing team do this for me years ago, I highly doubt the Polish team will do this for you however.

GL

1. I did just that even though I was late I opened a ticket told them I wired the amount and that they should please hold the server
    2. I was expecting the server to be holded including the IPs but at very least I was not excpecting the IPs to be deleted (if you buy lease a car and than buy another thing like a car trailer which you fully pay , usually you would expect the car to be taken back why would the company simple take the trailer with it and toss it on the trash?!)
    3. I’ve always paid with wire transfer in Germany this is a very common and perfectly fine payment method and as long they offer it I don’t see a problem with I mean it’s actually OVHs fault if they don’t have the capacity to process the transactions in a timely manner they just shouldn’t offer , I mean at the very least this shouldn’t be to the detriment of the customer. But I also have to say this is the first time my payment took longer than the next day to be processed

The bottom line is errors can happen I didn’t create the best scenario to start with and I assume the deletion of the attached IPs was a mistake somehow but after I fully explained them what I happened and what the problems is they simple continued to ignore my complaints which is really the problem. I mean what are we talking about here the IPs are not some files or something which get deleted and are gone forever and I doubt they already resold them in that short time but they simple refuse to offer adequate help I really don’t understand why you would want to leave such a bad impression for the company.

• zcorpszcorps Member

OVH is another name of Godaddy.

• @zcorps said: OVH is another name of Godaddy.

>

OVH didn't have a Nascar driver that liked to crash her car.
    It would be the most befitting if thee did.

• Hardly a scam, as shitty as that is.

• @dahartigan said:
    Hardly a scam, as shitty as that is.

We live in a multi-demented world dear DAHARTIGAN.
    Everything is scam, everything is fraud. Even when it most has not been.
    we have forgave the mustached woman and the man with a furburger collection an thus forth have gotten a whole new circus.
    A new era, but with less jokes unless we can find the circus within us.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • zedzed Member

automated processes don't care about your personal issues, the world we live in. i feel your annoyance (and i would be mad too) but misuse of scam imo.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Sir, I am sadden to advise you that I have flagged your missive due to your misuse of the term ‘scam’. I am quite sure you did not mean to commit such a heinous crime against the Queen’s English, but a crime it remains and so I have contacted our erstwhile moderation team for their assistance. Please do not think too harshly of me, for I am simply a man with a love of language and I can’t bear to see it’s blatant violation as a means of personal gain.

• ralfralf Member

Such a wretched hive of scam and villainy.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@ralf said:

Sir, do you refer to OVH?

Thanked by 1ralf
  • GhtGht Member

OVH just sucks in support

• Well like I said in my humble opinion this is a minor sort of scam it’s like they just look for an excuse to rip off your IP ranges without a good reason especially since they write everywhere that IP ranges have to be deleted manually.

• zedzed Member

@Nekki said:

@ralf said:

Sir, do you refer to OVH?

mos let

@skobaRocket said:
    Well like I said in my humble opinion this is a minor sort of scam it’s like they just look for an excuse to rip off your IP ranges without a good reason especially since they write everywhere that IP ranges have to be deleted manually.

ah i missed the bit that the ip range removal is manual. you feel scammed because they were important to you but to ovh they were just easily-reallocated virtual resources.

anyway, lessons were learned hopefully etc, good luck man.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Ght said:

Whilst I would not presume to use such crass language in such esteemed company, I do wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, my dear friend.

Thanked by 1Ght
  • GhtGht Member

@Nekki said:

@Ght said:

Whilst I would not presume to use such crass language in such esteemed company, I do wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, my dear friend.

Im just being Honest my dear friend.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I can confirm, ticket support is less than admirable at this point.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Ght said:

@Nekki said:

@Ght said:

Im just being Honest my dear friend.

Which is a most admirable trait, to be sure. You are a fine gentleman indeed!

• adlyadly Veteran

@skobaRocket said:
    Well like I said in my humble opinion this is a minor sort of scam it’s like they just look for an excuse to rip off your IP ranges without a good reason especially since they write everywhere that IP ranges have to be deleted manually.

https://storage.gra.cloud.ovh.net/v1/AUTH_325716a587c64897acbef9a4a4726e38/contracts/c9e7698-Contrat_part_IP-DE-1.0.pdf

“The contract for additional IP addresses is automatically renewed with the contract
    for the compatible service to which they have been assigned. The contract for additional IP addresses therefore ends automatically if the contract for the compatible service to which the IP addresses are assigned is not renewed.”