Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google's G Suite Personal use: stay on no-cost Legacy G Suite
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google's G Suite Personal use: stay on no-cost Legacy G Suite

aRNoLDaRNoLD Member

https://support.google.com/a/answer/60217

O4oOtP.png

looks old customers can now happily extend their existing gmail-based email accounts.

Comments

• szymonpszymonp Member

So if no action is taken they will start charging you...

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited May 2022

@szymonp said:

Quite so, after all they are a business as opposed to a charitable organisation, what?

• szymonpszymonp Member

@Nekki said:

@szymonp said:

Quite so, the after all they are a business as opposed to a charitable organisation, what?

Still, saying free then charging later is kinda unfair, especially since many of these account are inactive now

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@szymonp said:

@Nekki said:

@szymonp said:

Quite so, the after all they are a business as opposed to a charitable organisation, what?

Still, saying free then charging later is kinda unfair, especially since many of these account are inactive now

Sir, this is capitalism, and the notion of fairness is hardly a consideration.

• aj_potcaj_potc Member

If I'm not mistaken, this is a big change in policy.

Previously, Google announced that the only way you can keep your free accounts is by migrating them to regular @gmail.com addresses, and that it wouldn't be possible to continue using your custom domain unless you paid for Workspace.

So this is a big (and very late) concession.

• At what point did Google have free custom domain e-mail? o_O

• Between 2006 to 2012.

@dane_doherty said:
    At what point did Google have free custom domain e-mail? o_O

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @danielcardosopt said:
    Between 2006 to 2012.

@dane_doherty said:
    At what point did Google have free custom domain e-mail? o_O

Yep. And then that spawned a "secret underground" marketplace for account-trading and such.

• titustitus Member
    edited May 2022

@szymonp said:

I'm not sure about it. It also say the following:
    "If you don’t take any action, your account will be suspended starting on August 1, 2022. To reactivate your account, you will either need to upgrade to Google Workspace or opt out of the transition for non-commercial use."

Maybe they simple just suspend this accounts.

• szymonpszymonp Member
    edited May 2022

@titus said:

@szymonp said:

I'm not sure about it. It also say the following:
    "If you don’t take any action, your account will be suspended starting on August 1, 2022. To reactivate your account, you will either need to upgrade to Google Workspace or opt out of the transition for non-commercial use."

Maybe they simple just suspend this accounts.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

I wonder if the $3/month deal will entice any last sales of these G-Suite accounts?

I've moved an old one I've had since 2009 over to this new deal and would be happy to take another couple. It's only for the first year, but £2.50/month for Google hosted e-mail is very inticing for me.

• AstroAstro Member

I wonder if any of the legacy accounts are for sale somewhere

• I guess this is being rolled out - was only available on about 3/4 of my accounts.

• @Astro said:
    I wonder if any of the legacy accounts are for sale somewhere

You can find them, I think they are about 10 users/USD$60, but Google stopped letting people change Primary and add secondary domains. The seller will add your domain as alias, your login will have to use their primary domains and all your email accounts will have to setup the "send-as".

• sanvitsanvit Member

@SpeedTest said:

Have you upgraded to the paid tiers? In that case, you can contact their chat support and they will sort it out for you

• @sanvit said: Have you upgraded to the paid tiers?

no, I'm still on the free one

• I just contacted google, as I already had Workspace set up, and it was all automated. Done.
    I was sad that I have to pay for my personal domain (more than okay paying for the business ones).

So now they have a happy customer again 😀

• sanvitsanvit Member

@SpeedTest said:

@sanvit said: Have you upgraded to the paid tiers?

no, I'm still on the free one

Hmmm.. maybe they are rolling out on batch?

• @SpeedTest said:

I get that on two of my domains, all the other ones worked. Hopefully it's because it's just being rolled out.

• Oops, i moved out and deleted my account. :'(

• @Nekki said:
    Sir, this is capitalism, and the notion of fairness is hardly a consideration.

I wouldn't say that.
    If your customers develop ill will towards you that has a negative impact on business. So does good will have a positive effect.

The perception of fairness does matter.

• I'm glad to see they reconsidered this and offered an alternative for personal use.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

I can't find were I can choose this? I login via gmail, and can't see any choice.

• TimRooTimRoo Member

@aj_potc said:

Previously, Google announced that the only way you can keep your free accounts is by migrating them to regular @gmail.com addresses, and that it wouldn't be possible to continue using your custom domain unless you paid for Workspace.

@kavinrak said:
    Oops, i moved out and deleted my account. :'(

Yep, already deleted my account too. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the plan all along, as they've certainly shed some of the free accounts from this.

Thanked by 1kavinrak
  • zedzed Member

@TimRoo said:

@aj_potc said:

@kavinrak said:
    Oops, i moved out and deleted my account. :'(

Yep, already deleted my account too. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the plan all along, as they've certainly shed some of the free accounts from this.

didn't even notice you /could/ delete your account, oops!

• @Arkas said:
    I can't find were I can choose this? I login via gmail, and can't see any choice.

You need to get to Admin.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@TimboJones said: You need to get to Admin.

Thanks for the help!

Thanked by 1TimboJones