Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paypal Very bad rogue company. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Paypal Very bad rogue company.

13»

Comments

• ralfralf Member

@Carlin0 said:
    I personally don't pay anything online unless paypal is accepted, and I don't think I'm the only one
    a business should aim not only to retain current customers but also to acquire new ones

Maybe this is a UK thing, but if a company primarily wants to use Paypal, I'll think they're too small to get an account with any of the card transaction handlers (which now has a very low bar to entry in the UK), and personally I'd rather pay for most things online that have a chance of being dubious using a one-time disposable card number that my online banking app gives me.

Actually, I can't remember the last time I used paypal. Probably a few years ago when I last bought something from ebay.

Thanked by 1kheng86
  • @TimboJones said: Who currently pays crypto payment processing fee, the buyer or seller?

There are two types of fees:

• network fee
    • payment processor fee

When a merchant says "you need to pay X amount to this wallet", the buyer always needs to spend more in order to push the transaction through - that's called network fee. Some coins have pretty much zero network fees (Monero, Litecoin), some coins have manageable fees (Bitcoin) and some coins are unusable for anything besides speculation (Ethereum). A fee usually does not depend on the value transacted.

As for the payment processor fee (usually like 1% of the value), I'd imagine it also gets passed on to the buyer, much like sales tax. If you set up your own local payment gateway, there are no payment processor fees. If you use a provider that instantly exchanges cryptocurrency, you may need to pay an additional fee for their network fees, as they need to move the coins further, to the cryptocurrency exchange.

@TimboJones said: It's also looking like companies could be at risk of being completely wiped out if holding too much of a fucked coin.

It's up to the merchant. You can accept coins directly and hold them without exchanging or you can use a payment provider that instantly exchanges them to fiat currency, with payouts to your bank account, leaving you with zero exposure.

Coin's value can also appreciate drastically. It's a gamble.

@TimboJones said: And with crypto, the buyer loses all sorts of protections. It will also move the majority of fraud from buyer side to seller side.

Definitely, yes. That's why you pick at least semi-reputable companies.

There's also something called "police" and "small claims court" which do not magically disappear if you pay in magic internet money.

@TimboJones said: Why will crypto win, exactly?

It's a truly global payment system that just works, without unnecessary overhead.

@TimboJones said: Tl;dr I get cashback and no exchange rate fees with my credit cards. I don't know what freedom or what incentives for fucking with crypto for everyday purchases are.

There are providers which offer significant discounts when paying in crypto. I also don't see how depositing a banknote into an ATM and scanning a QR code, then some time later opening a mobile app or a website or a computer program is "fucking".

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • ahnlakahnlak Member

@dane_doherty said:
    It's a truly global payment system that just works, without unnecessary overhead.

That is a very ... generous view of crypto.

I mean it's technically correct, in that the horrific overhead is necessary because of the catastrophic design, but...

• @dane_doherty said:
    There's also something called "police" and "small claims court" which do not magically disappear if you pay in magic internet money.

??? Dealing with the police and small claims court? GTFO, I don't have time for that. Fraud from my bank or credit card requires no effort from me besides answer a call and confirm I didn't make those transactions. Then they mail me a new card in two days.

@TimboJones said: Why will crypto win, exactly?

There's zero definitions of "that just works" fit for crypto. You say that about VISA and MasterCard after decades, and not even American Express "just works". There's zero places for me to buy in person with crypto in my area.

There are providers which offer significant discounts when paying in crypto. I also don't see how depositing a banknote into an ATM and scanning a QR code, then some time later opening a mobile app or a website or a computer program is "fucking".

Such as? Zero purchases I've made are from vendors that offer a significant crypto discount. Digital sellers can probably do this, but not physical goods.

Having to think about fees and exchange rates is added fucking hassle, yes. I don't have to think about anything but 1-3% cashback.

• @TimboJones I'm not surprised at all that you have a negative stance on crypto.

@TimboJones said: Fraud from my bank or credit card requires no effort from me besides answer a call and confirm I didn't make those transactions. Then they mail me a new card in two days.

In the case you described, cryptocurrency is superior, because unless you are extremely stupid, it's impossible to make a transaction without your knowledge.

@TimboJones said: There's zero definitions of "that just works" fit for crypto. You say that about VISA and MasterCard after decades, and not even American Express "just works".

Traditional banking system was never designed to "just work" and never did. Various national and international regulations, as well as internal policies of payment processors, create obstacles to free flow of money, such as described in this thread.

You can't really say VISA/MasterCard is global because it doesn't work in 2 out of 11 world's largest economies.

@TimboJones said: There's zero places for me to buy in person with crypto in my area.

There are 2492 bitcoin ATMs in Canada. Where do you live?

Why do you insist on physical goods? For physical goods you can just pay cash in person.

• @dane_doherty said:
    @TimboJones I'm not surprised at all that you have a negative stance on crypto.

@TimboJones said: Fraud from my bank or credit card requires no effort from me besides answer a call and confirm I didn't make those transactions. Then they mail me a new card in two days.

In the case you described, cryptocurrency is superior, because unless you are extremely stupid, it's impossible to make a transaction without your knowledge.

Why? That sounds like something user specific and not inherent to crypto. Taking over my PC and doing a malicious purchase from stored CC may get 2FA and prevented but if you have my wallet and password, you can do anything you want and I wouldn't be notified. And because of the complexity,
    you're going to have it in digital format and accessible for day to day purchases. It's probably same amount of phishing success between bank/cc and crypto, but I imagine a lot harder to duplicate my banks website with a dozen services than a simple crypto website.

@TimboJones said: There's zero definitions of "that just works" fit for crypto. You say that about VISA and MasterCard after decades, and not even American Express "just works".

Traditional banking system was never designed to "just work" and never did. Various national and international regulations, as well as internal policies of payment processors, create obstacles to free flow of money, such as described in this thread.

That doesn't make any sense.

You can't really say VISA/MasterCard is global because it doesn't work in 2 out of 11 world's largest economies.

You really can.

@TimboJones said: There's zero places for me to buy in person with crypto in my area.

There are 2492 bitcoin ATMs in Canada. Where do you live?

Outside Vancouver. There's 6 hits in my town according to that site. In hindsight, I do remember seeing a crypto atm at one of these gas stations in town. I don't recall the fee structure, but I want to say like $6? I'll see about confirming one of these days when I go out of my way to check.

Why do you insist on physical goods? For physical goods you can just pay cash in person.

To live? I'm not virtual. Holy fuck. You're arguing that crypto isn't an extra hassle by telling me to go to ATM machines (haven't needed to in years since bank supports photo cheque deposit) and pay in cash. I don't pay fees for ATM use besides bank fee, which is free from minimal monthly balance. I don't think you understand wtf convenience or benefits are. I'm at a point in time where the only thing I need in my pocket is my phone. Carrying cash? Carrying coins? GTFO. Carrying crypto keys around with me everywhere, at an ATM where I could lose everything being robbed at gunpoint? Fuck that.

Tell me when crypto is as easy as tapping your phone or plastic at the point of purchase and you'll have a point about it being the future.

• ralfralf Member
    edited May 2022

@dane_doherty said:
    As for the payment processor fee (usually like 1% of the value), I'd imagine it also gets passed on to the buyer, much like sales tax.

No sure about other countries, but this is specifically illegal in the UK when dealing non-business companies.

Companies must charge the same price regardless of payment method, and cannot charge a surcharge for e.g. credit card purchases. Having said that, there are still a lot of companies still get away with giving a discount if you set up a direct debit (UK specific: it authorises them to take any amount they like, whenever they like from your account, but also has protection guarantees so that doesn't get abused), so not really sure how they get away with this. I guess crypto would be technically a different currency so this also might not apply.

• zedzed Member

@CoastHosting said:

@Carlin0 said:

@CoastHosting said:
    We removed PayPal due to the lack of support from PayPal themselves.

This will surely result in a loss of customers (e.g. me)

Not at all, our customers are very loyal we replaced it with 48hour no credit card needed trial for the skeptics

i use paypal specifically so i don't have to give out actual cc info, it's an imperfect and sometimes shitty system but the grief it saves me is just not measurable.