Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 hits 40% at Google
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 hits 40% at Google

Comments

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2022

33:33 is just LOL

Thanked by 1ralf
  • Is that 40% from developing markets that dont have ready access to ipv4 like asia and africa?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@trycatchthis said:
    Is that 40% from developing markets that dont have ready access to ipv4 like asia and africa?

Not just that, (almost?) every mobile network out there runs on top of v6 with a sprinkler of v4. Anyone thinking google's 40% means V6 as a whole is at 40%, hasn't looked at any graphs from the large exchanges.

Francisco

Thanked by 2ralf fluffernutter
  • ralfralf Member
    edited May 2022

Actually, watching this video and the guy who keeps saying "it's about names" made me realise that it is actually just about names!

Most people who are buying up lots of IP addresses are really making very poor use of them. To do geo-location properly, you kind of need a big subnet so you can announce it, and really all most people actually want to expose is the IP address of their web service. So, we're wasting a huge block of IPs, each that could have many services, just to expose a single port.

It'd be far better if we had e.g. a TXT record in a domain that specified a list of IP addresses, with some kind of geo-mapping in there (maybe not even that granular, probably e.g. "us-west" is sufficient), so the client can pick the closest one to where they are, but fall back to other ones if that server happens to be down for some reason.

TLDR: if a browser just queried e.g. west.us._geo.www.example.com before trying www.example.com, and awful lot of problems would go away, especially if the returned record included an IP address and a port. A DNS server could easily wildcard these responses, for instance *.asia._geo.example.com.

• ralfralf Member

@Francisco said:
    Anyone thinking google's 40% means V6 as a whole is at 40%, hasn't looked at any graphs from the large exchanges.

A point made in the video is that phones largely have moved to IPv6 now. And obviously, a lot of google's traffic is going to be coming from Android phones because you need a google account to use it.

• tpolltpoll Member, Patron Provider

I think the numbers are certainly skewed here slightly because many providers are shifting to routing users over IPV6 on the public networks due to IPv4 being more scarce. Still cool to see adoption is happening at a faster pace but certainly not fast enough to make the full shift anytime soon.

• One of my ISP start to implement IPv6 too instead of private IPv4

• emgemg Veteran
    edited May 2022

I ran IPv6 at home for a while, but had to turn it off. I would like to reactivate IPv6, but an active IP address limit on my firewall prevents that.

Here is the detailed explanation, but you can safely ignore it and skip to the next comment:

The free version of the Sophos UTM firewall has a limit of 50 IP addresses. It takes a while (one week?) before an unused address falls off the list and the active address count drops accordingly. The family computers, phones, pads, video streaming sources, gaming consoles, and even the Sony DVD players all use an IP address.

With IPv4, the active address count is in the low 20s. Right now, it is 22. If you add IPv6, it doubles (one IPv4 and one IPv6 address per device). In theory, that would keep us barely under the limit. In practice, devices grab and use multiple IPv6 addresses, and they also rotate IPv6 addresses - keeping both active for a while before dropping the older one.

... After fighting it for a while, I gave up and turned off IPv6 to keep the active IP addresses under the license limit.

Someday I will change firewalls, but the Sophos UTM works well for me. I don't feel like dealing with the learning curve for a different firewall. Sophos has a new firewall that is destined to replace the UTM (called "NG") with fewer limits for the free at home users. I might consider it, but there are many other choices with far fewer issues, and I am not beholden to Sophos. (In my defense, I run the Sophos UTM because of a friend who has a paid license for their small business. I wanted a testbed of my own with the same Sophos UTM firewall so I could help my friend. It is that simple.)

• I tried ipv6 only on Google devices like Android and ChromeOS using RA because Dhcpv6 is not supported. It gets IPv6 address and DNS. IPv6 only websites work fine but IPv4 websites only does a A record lookup to DNS and times out because no IPv4 address, NAT64 doesnt get used this way because no AAAA is done. I did a websearch and found others facing the same issue but no solution

• dane_dohertydane_doherty Member
    edited May 2022

[original text]

Mod edit (angstrom): Please don't engage in personal attacks

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran

I'm guessing the growth is mostly from mobile carriers that know what they're doing and are using IPv6 rather than something like CGNAT.

@tpoll said: I think the numbers are certainly skewed here slightly because many providers are shifting to routing users over IPV6 on the public network

How does that mean it's skewed? Do you mean something like clients are using CGNAT but then the hosts route over IPv6?

@emg said: an active IP address limit on my firewall prevents that.

Then don't use a garbage firewall :tongue:

• KousakaKousaka Member

@tpoll said:
    I think the numbers are certainly skewed here slightly because many providers are shifting to routing users over IPV6 on the public networks due to IPv4 being more scarce. Still cool to see adoption is happening at a faster pace but certainly not fast enough to make the full shift anytime soon.

This is decide at clients’s side to prioritize IPv6, unless ISPs actively practice DNS hijacking

• emgemg Veteran

@Daniel15 said: Then don't use a garbage firewall

Point taken. I won't dispute your assessment of the firewall. I think I explained why I have it. It works for now. Someday I will change it for something else.

• @ralf said:
    Actually, watching this video and the guy who keeps saying "it's about names" made me realise that it is actually just about names!

Most people who are buying up lots of IP addresses are really making very poor use of them. To do geo-location properly, you kind of need a big subnet so you can announce it, and really all most people actually want to expose is the IP address of their web service. So, we're wasting a huge block of IPs, each that could have many services, just to expose a single port.

It'd be far better if we had e.g. a TXT record in a domain that specified a list of IP addresses, with some kind of geo-mapping in there (maybe not even that granular, probably e.g. "us-west" is sufficient), so the client can pick the closest one to where they are, but fall back to other ones if that server happens to be down for some reason.

TLDR: if a browser just queried e.g. west.us._geo.www.example.com before trying www.example.com, and awful lot of problems would go away, especially if the returned record included an IP address and a port. A DNS server could easily wildcard these responses, for instance *.asia._geo.example.com.

After watching the video I came to the conclusion that Jeff is a shit talker, there is so much which simply does not work with names. There is no standard for this, and if you would create one now you would have to wait 30 years until adoption is high enough to do anything usefull with it.

• @kevertje said:
    I tried ipv6 only on Google devices like Android and ChromeOS using RA because Dhcpv6 is not supported. It gets IPv6 address and DNS. IPv6 only websites work fine but IPv4 websites only does a A record lookup to DNS and times out because no IPv4 address, NAT64 doesnt get used this way because no AAAA is done. I did a websearch and found others facing the same issue but no solution

NAT64 is not enough for that you also need to use a DNS64 DNS server to make it work. Or 464XLAT for stuff that doesn't use DNS at all.

Thanked by 1Pixels
  • ralfralf Member
    edited May 2022

@kevertje said:

IPv6 only websites work fine but IPv4 websites only does a A record lookup to DNS and times out because no IPv4 address

Surely this is an argument for not using hosting providers who can't be bothered to set up IPv6 or the companies that are their customers and can't be bothered to use something like route48 if their provider doesn't do IPv6.

Ultimately, there will always be a large group of companies that don't have IPv6-addressable websites, because until they start losing customers because of it simply won't know that IPv6 is a thing.

• Well there goes all my investments towards IPv4+. Thanks google.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Maybe someday the value of IPv4 will decline in a material way.

Consider me STUNNED that the value of big blocks has increased so much the past 3-4 years. I thought $20 USD / IP was the top of the market back in 2018.

Stuff was trading as high as $52-$55 last fall. Now around $45-$49. Start of a downward trend? Maybe...

Thanked by 1bruh21
  • @user54321 said:

@kevertje said:
    I tried ipv6 only on Google devices like Android and ChromeOS using RA because Dhcpv6 is not supported. It gets IPv6 address and DNS. IPv6 only websites work fine but IPv4 websites only does a A record lookup to DNS and times out because no IPv4 address, NAT64 doesnt get used this way because no AAAA is done. I did a websearch and found others facing the same issue but no solution

NAT64 is not enough for that you also need to use a DNS64 DNS server to make it work. Or 464XLAT for stuff that doesn't use DNS at all.

Yes correct. It is DNS64 and NAT64. works fine for any other OS

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

@jbiloh said:
    Maybe someday the value of IPv4 will decline in a material way.

Consider me STUNNED that the value of big blocks has increased so much the past 3-4 years. I thought $20 USD / IP was the top of the market back in 2018.

Stuff was trading as high as $52-$55 last fall. Now around $45-$49. Start of a downward trend? Maybe...

I think in real terms we’re still stuck at 20 USD but inflation made all commodities more expensive

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

A little off topic but I don't like the format of ipv6, to me it would have been so much easier to keep the normal digits like ipv4. I understand the hex gives more ips but geez it is so human unfriendly.

• PixelsPixels Member
    edited May 2022

@risharde said:
    A little off topic but I don't like the format of ipv6, to me it would have been so much easier to keep the normal digits like ipv4. I understand the hex gives more ips but geez it is so human unfriendly.

That's why DNS exists :smile:

Thanked by 2risharde Daniel15
  • zedzed Member

@Pixels said:

@risharde said:

it's true of course, and the standard response but man.. i miss the good old days of knowing all my system ips/ranges, though i still make a point of using the shortest v6 ip possible.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • emgemg Veteran
    edited May 2022

@risharde said: A little off topic but I don't like the format of ipv6, to me it would have been so much easier to keep the normal digits like ipv4. I understand the hex gives more ips but geez it is so human unfriendly.

An IPv4 address is 32 bits, most often expressed as 4 decimal octets in the form "a.b.c.d".

If you used the same decimal notation for an IPv6 address, it would take 16 octets and might look like "a.b.c.d.e.f.g.h.i.j.k.l.m.n.o.p"

Keep in mind that each letter represents 1-3 digits, with numbers ranging from 0 to 255. An IPv6 address in that form could range from 16 to 48 digits, not including the 15 dots.

Hmmm.

Thanked by 1_MS_
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@emg said:

@risharde said: A little off topic but I don't like the format of ipv6, to me it would have been so much easier to keep the normal digits like ipv4. I understand the hex gives more ips but geez it is so human unfriendly.

An IPv4 address is 32 bits, most often expressed as 4 decimal octets in the form "a.b.c.d".

If you used the same decimal notation for an IPv6 address, it would take 16 octets and might look like "a.b.c.d.e.f.g.h.i.j.k.l.m.n.o.p"

Keep in mind that each letter represents 1-3 digits, with numbers ranging from 0 to 255. An IPv6 address in that form could range from 16 to 48 digits, not including the 15 dots.

Hmmm.

Since my brain is tired at 12:41 am, I will trust what you said was correct and in which case makes me a bit wrong but still partially right since to remember 48 digits could be a problem for me, will have to begin practicing my memory skills lol

• Everyone needs a /64 to survive /s

• sotssots Member

@dahartigan said:
    Everyone needs a /64 to survive /s

Everyone -> Every home & Office a /56 or /60 & Every 4G/5G AP a /64. And some major ISP has already allocated huge CIDRs such as /18, /20, /24, which may become the whole /16 block (Seems that 2400::/12 has been already assigned to the major ISPs in APNIC region).

• sotssots Member

@zed said:

@Pixels said:

@risharde said:

it's true of course, and the standard response but man.. i miss the good old days of knowing all my system ips/ranges, though i still make a point of using the shortest v6 ip possible.

Though SLAAC or DHCPv6 usually gives 128 bit address, It's simple to assign a permanent short address like xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::x , but the prefix provided by the ISP may be changed and manually changing the outdated address may be annoying. Do you have some tools better to manage the IPv6?

• Give everyone a /48 so we will face the same relative shortage of IPv6 as we have with IPv4 when you give every early bird an entire /8 or something stupid.

• zedzed Member

@sots said:

@zed said:

Though SLAAC or DHCPv6 usually gives 128 bit address, It's simple to assign a permanent short address like xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::x , but the prefix provided by the ISP may be changed and manually changing the outdated address may be annoying. Do you have some tools better to manage the IPv6?

i do not, though im sure some exist.. ive not ever had a prefix change so that pain hasn't come up (yet!)

Thanked by 1dahartigan