Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS providers promoting 1Gbps ports are bullshitting their clients
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS providers promoting 1Gbps ports are bullshitting their clients

Got myself some VPS from different providers (RackNerd, BuyVM, ServerCheap and ServaRICA).

As soon as I got access, I ran yabs. ServerCheap and ServaRICA ran very close to 1Gbps up and down. RackNerd was hovering at around 300-400Mbps. BuyVM was not consistent but the speeds were much higher than the advertised 100Mbps.

But then, I ran iperf with my home 1Gbps fiber connection for over 10 minutes and most completely disintegrated.

RackNerd is NOT providing sustained 1Gbps. Most I could do after 10 minutes is shy of 150Mbps. I don't know why they call it Premium bandwitdh.

BuyVM is advertising 100Mbps unmetered and they say you only get 100Mbps per 4GB but the reality is you get better, sustained speeds out of their VM then what RackNerd can do (with one VM I was able to pull 260Mbps average for over an hour). NY was the fastest followed by Miami and Las Vegas came in dead last (a bit over 100Mbps).

ServerCheap gave me 180Mbps after 10 minutes.

Fastest was, by far, ServaRICA with 300Mbps after 30 minutes.

My understanding is the only way to get sustained speed is to get a dedi.

Is OVH any better? When they say 250Mbps unmetered on their VPS, is it a true, dedicated, sustained, 250Mbps or does it fall after a couple of minutes?

There should be a way to clearly identify and measure what is really provided. This shared bandwidth lottery is not good for consumers.

All I want is a passthrough proxy to run a VPN to my home. I don't care about RAM, NVMe, CPU.

Comments

• cope

Thanked by 5Erisa bdl SP nitro93 kait
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

The 1Gbps network port is shared between the VMs on the node.

Thanked by 1rackabuser
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2022

Deploy the bbr TCP congestion control on the sending side of where you run iperf on.
    https://wiki.crowncloud.net/?How_to_enable_BBR_on_Debian_10
    Should help with getting a higher and more stable upload speeds.

But as said above, I doubt any of those providers advertised dedicated 1 Gbps on a VPS, so it is shared with the entire node. Or at best, it might have 10G, but shared across far more than 10 customers.

Thanked by 2rackabuser PandaRain
  • chalichali Member

"Bought an airplane with the cost of a minivan".

• Oracle free tier has gigabit guaranteed and up to 4 gigabit, 10 TB transfer a month

Thanked by 1rackabuser
  • xTomxTom Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2022

image.png

One of our VPS customers in Frankfurt shows his bandwidth usage. We have 10Gbps uplink with our VPS nodes.

Thanked by 1rackabuser
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2022

You most likely won't find a low end provider that will have 1 Gbps Dedicated Unmetered on a cheap VPS. A lot of the VPS providers you mentioned are budget providers that aren't entirely focused on the best network quality or the best bandwidth. They are mostly focused on providing a good amount of resources for a cheap price.

If you are planning on pushing heavy amounts of sustained bandwidth, I would recommend checking out dedicated servers. Usually, in my experience, providers will let you push 1 Gbps sustained on dedicated servers unless they're smaller or their network is congested.

Psychz has a 1 Gbps Unmetered dedicated server in Los Angeles for $29/month, might be worth checking out. Their network quality isn't the best whatsoever, but it will probably be one of the cheapest options you can get in order to sustain 1 Gbps.

Also, just an FYI, Frantech/BuyVM actually advertises 1 Gbps Unmetered on their website.

• blackblack Member

1 Gbps is burst in most cases. If you're on a shared server or even a shared port, you won't be able to max 1 Gbps. "Premium bandwidth" is more like they're connected to tier-1 bandwidth providers, for better routes, latency, and speed, but it's not 100% speed.

Thanked by 2rackabuser VayVayKa
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2022

A 1gbps pipe and card do not always equal your ability to see 1gbps at your chosen end point. This is an issue as old as time, and you'll never be right on it with the given rationale. If you're paying for a dedicated line and you've verified with every upstream along the path that it can be had, only then do you have room to start talking like this.

Thanked by 2PearlMoon jlet88
  • afnafn Member
    edited April 2022

+1 jar, +1 black, both gave good answers. Let's start from the very beginning do you know what a VPS is?
    It's a Shared service. It means the server has for example 20 clients. The server has 1 gbps internet. All clients share the 1gbps. Analogy: When I trash my network with my weekly backup, my dad's Netflix reduces the quality to 480p to adapt and it buffers because I am abusing our home network.

Second thing you need to know: do you know what internet is? There is something called routing. My Finnish Hetzner server can do 1gbps to a server hosted with Pulsed media. It can do close to 0.9 gbps to my Germany Hetzner server. It can't even maintain 0.6 gbps to my Path server in the US. It's like when you want to reach by car from point A to point B in the same country, Vs wanna reach point C in a different country, with congestion on the road.

Third, 1 gbps unmetered port, sustained, is 330TB per month. This may cost your provider maybe anything between 30-80$. How do you expect your 5€ VPS to do a 30$ job?

Finally, and in all fairness to buyVM, I had a 4$ VPS with them, I was doing 60TB per month with it. can't ask for better Also you should know that if you abuse the network/cpu or other ressources for too long, some throttling mechanism may be triggered to cap you ressource usage. So no, no one is bullshitting the customers, the customers are bullshitting themselves and are illogical and/or ignorant of how internet works.

With the way you do your "benchmarks" not even a dedi will make you happy.

This shared bandwidth lottery is not good for consumers.

The low cost lottery of customers paying 3$ per VPS is not good for providers.

All I want is a passthrough proxy to run a VPN to my home. I don't care about RAM, NVMe, CPU.

Wrong, you should care. If you proxy heavy video stream, you need cache, big ram, or fast SSD.

Just pick a VPS close to where you live, or VPN service with multiple servers in your country. This is the best you will get.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@rackabuser Where in general are you located?

• @Advin said:
    Also, just an FYI, Frantech/BuyVM actually advertises 1 Gbps Unmetered on their website.

They do but it's sort of "truth bending" in that the connection is 1g and umetered but you're given around 100m for every 4gb of ram your VPS has. so a 4GB VPS can push 100mbit 24/7 with no issues, but can burst 1gbit if needed. Still very generous, just not exactly 1G unmetered on every instance.

Thanked by 1rackabuser
  • @Advin said:

Only when paying 30$USD+. Plus, Francisco often explained (I actually asked recently) you get 100Mbits guaranteed for every 4GB you buy (so for every 15$USD you get 100Mbps up to 120$ where you get 1Gbps).

• @jar said:
    A 1gbps pipe and card do not always equal your ability to see 1gbps at your chosen end point. This is an issue as old as time, and you'll never be right on it with the given rationale. If you're paying for a dedicated line and you've verified with every upstream along the path that it can be had, only then do you have room to start talking like this.

I get that. I get providers are overselling and that the 1Gbps or 10Gbps is spread across customers over one node.

My point is the way things are presented to consumers is dishonest.

Providers should say something like 1Gbps per node, 10 VMs per node, 100Mbps guaranteed per VM.

Without that information, 1, 10, 100 Gbps is meaningless.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • 1Gbps per node, 10 VMs per node, 100Mbps guaranteed per VM -- this is too complicated, and still not even really true. One person could cause your "guaranteed port speed" to drastically shrink.

The best way to advertise port speed is something along the lines of "up to 1Gbps port speed."

• @afn said:
    +1 jar, +1 black, both gave good answers. Let's start from the very beginning do you know what a VPS is?
    It's a Shared service. It means the server has for example 20 clients. The server has 1 gbps internet. All clients share the 1gbps. Analogy: When I trash my network with my weekly backup, my dad's Netflix reduces the quality to 480p to adapt and it buffers because I am abusing our home network.

VPS providers should say how many clients are per node.

Second thing you need to know: do you know what internet is? There is something called routing. My Finnish Hetzner server can do 1gbps to a server hosted with Pulsed media. It can do close to 0.9 gbps to my Germany Hetzner server. It can't even maintain 0.6 gbps to my Path server in the US. It's like when you want to reach by car from point A to point B in the same country, Vs wanna reach point C in a different country, with congestion on the road.

I think you misunderstand how things work at a technical level. Distance affects latency. Bandwitdth is not affected by distance. If Hetzner has poor peering to the USA, that is something else.

If you want to learn more, you can get yourself some VPS in the USA and perform a test with yabs. You will see you can reach 1Gbps with other continents.

Third, 1 gbps unmetered port, sustained, is 330TB per month. This may cost your provider maybe anything between 30-80$. How do you expect your 5€ VPS to do a 30$ job?

I expect providers to be truthful. Just say how many clients are per node, and how much data I can move per month. If you tell me I can use 1Gbps unmetered for 3$USD per month, and then if I complain I only get 100Mbps, don't turn around and call me a clown because I believed you.

Finally, and in all fairness to buyVM, I had a 4$ VPS with them, I was doing 60TB per month with it. can't ask for better Also you should know that if you abuse the network/cpu or other ressources for too long, some throttling mechanism may be triggered to cap you ressource usage. So no, no one is bullshitting the customers, the customers are bullshitting themselves and are illogical and/or ignorant of how internet works.

okay.

okay.

And the customers should be blamed because providers are doing false advertising?

Wrong, you should care. If you proxy heavy video stream, you need cache, big ram, or fast SSD.

No. That's not how things work. 😂 It is not because I stream data for AI purposes that suddenly the proxy needs to be beefy. A proxy is just a transit for data.

Just pick a VPS close to where you live, or VPN service with multiple servers in your country. This is the best you will get.

I'll try to get a VPS provider that is not bullshitting about what he is selling.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:
    @rackabuser Where in general are you located?

New York.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

In a different thread, talking about 1gbps port in the EU and referring to the provider's costs:

@Francisco said: Even the cheapest side of transit is 3c-5c, so you're $30 - $50/month at cost for people.

Is cost comparable in the US? 🤷

• @SirFoxy said:
    1Gbps per node, 10 VMs per node, 100Mbps guaranteed per VM -- this is too complicated, and still not even really true. One person could cause your "guaranteed port speed" to drastically shrink.

The best way to advertise port speed is something along the lines of "up to 1Gbps port speed."

One person could do that on the same node? How? I mean, with proper isolation, how could user 1 take bandwidth from user 2? You mean by flooding user 1 on the private network?

edited April 2022

@LiliLabs said:

@Advin said:

They do but it's sort of "truth bending" in that the connection is 1g and umetered but you're given around 100m for every 4gb of ram your VPS has. so a 4GB VPS can push 100mbit 24/7 with no issues, but can burst 1gbit if needed. Still very generous, just not exactly 1G unmetered on every instance.

@rackabuser said:

@Advin said:

Only when paying 30$USD+. Plus, Francisco often explained (I actually asked recently) you get 100Mbits guaranteed for every 4GB you buy (so for every 15$USD you get 100Mbps up to 120$ where you get 1Gbps).

Sure, but their website advertises it as 1G Unmetered and not 100M Unmetered :)
    It's super generous and very reasonable (better than most providers), but they don't technically advertise 100M Unmetered on their site or state their 100M per 4GB rule anywhere. Only when you ask Francisco.

Anyways, this is kind of off-topic, just wanted to point out that they technically advertise 1G and not 100M :)

• devpdevp Member

@SirFoxy said: The best way to advertise port speed is something along the lines of "up to 1Gbps port speed."

Thats interinsic.

• @Advin said:

@LiliLabs said:

@Advin said:

@rackabuser said:

@Advin said:

Sure, but their website advertises it as 1G Unmetered and not 100M Unmetered :)
    It's super generous and very reasonable, but they don't technically advertise 100M Unmetered on their site or state their 100M per 4GB rule anywhere. Only when you ask Francisco.

I stand corrected!

I went to the wayback machine and you can see even the specifics about getting 1/4 core on the 1G plan has been removed. It's all unmetered with a full core now (which we know is not true).

edited April 2022

@rackabuser said:

@afn said:

VPS providers should say how many clients are per node.

I think you misunderstand how things work at a technical level. Distance affects latency. Bandwitdth is not affected by distance. If Hetzner has poor peering to the USA, that is something else.

If you want to learn more, you can get yourself some VPS in the USA and perform a test with yabs. You will see you can reach 1Gbps with other continents.

I expect providers to be truthful. Just say how many clients are per node, and how much data I can move per month. If you tell me I can use 1Gbps unmetered for 3$USD per month, and then if I complain I only get 100Mbps, don't turn around and call me a clown because I believed you.

okay.

okay.

And the customers should be blamed because providers are doing false advertising?

No. That's not how things work. 😂 It is not because I stream data for AI purposes that suddenly the proxy needs to be beefy. A proxy is just a transit for data.

I'll try to get a VPS provider that is not bullshitting about what he is selling.

It isn't always possible for providers to tell how many people are on an individual node. Usually, providers sell a lot of different plans, like 2GB/4GB/8GB/16GB so it tends to vary by a lot and there are bound to be future cancellations that would affect the number of VM's.

Most providers advertise 1 Gbps because it's a shared port. When you buy a VPS, you should be expecting the port to be shared with others as you are on a shared node. Most low end providers doesn't really expect people to put the port on full blast, only to occasionally burst to it. For a couple dollars per month, you really have to lower your expectations.

Thanked by 1adly
  • @devp said:

@SirFoxy said: The best way to advertise port speed is something along the lines of "up to 1Gbps port speed."

Thats interinsic.

Yes.

In the same way, 1 Gbps would be implied to be shared.

When you rent an apartment, you don't expect to be able to use the whole building.

You have your own tiny slice of that building, and all other resources i.e. electricity, and water are shared within that building.

You don't specifically need to state everything for it to be understood by 9 out of 10 people. It's implied.

• @Advin said:
    It isn't always possible for providers to tell how many people are on an individual node. Usually, providers sell a lot of different plans, like 2GB/4GB/8GB/16GB so it tends to vary by a lot and there are bound to be future cancellations that would affect the number of VM's.

Most providers advertise 1 Gbps because it's a shared port. When you buy a VPS, you should be expecting the port to be shared with others as you are on a shared node. Most low end providers doesn't really expect people to put the port on full blast, only to occasionally burst to it. For a couple dollars per month, you really have to lower your expectations.

I understand what you are saying. But even then, it is relatively easy to tell the customers what is guaranteed.

Let's say you have a node that shares 32GB RAM and 1Gbps port. You have 1x16GB, 1x8GB, 1x4GB, and 2x2GB customers on that node.

Why wouldn't you be able to tell the 16GB customer he's getting a guaranteed sustained 500Mbps pipe and the 2GB customer he's getting a guaranteed sustained 62.5Mbps pipe?

• @SirFoxy said:

@devp said:

Thats interinsic.

Yes.

In the same way, 1 Gbps would be implied to be shared.

When you rent an apartment, you don't expect to be able to use the whole building.

You have your own tiny slice of that building, and all other resources i.e. electricity, and water are shared within that building.

You don't specifically need to state everything for it to be understood by 9 out of 10 people. It's implied.

The thing is, the landlord is not telling the tenant he is renting a shared building with a shared parking lot. You get apartment #5 and parking lot #3.

• LeifurGunnarssonLeifurGunnarsson Member, Host Rep

Guaranteeing bandwidth is not easy a job as you think and it's not as good to market with VMs.

Thanked by 1devp
  • @LeifurGunnarsson said:
    Guaranteeing bandwidth is not easy a job as you think and it's not as good to market with VMs.

I salute your honesty!

edited April 2022

@rackabuser said:

@Advin said:

I understand what you are saying. But even then, it is relatively easy to tell the customers what is guaranteed.

Let's say you have a node that shares 32GB RAM and 1Gbps port. You have 1x16GB, 1x8GB, 1x4GB, and 2x2GB customers on that node.

Why wouldn't you be able to tell the 16GB customer he's getting a guaranteed sustained 500Mbps pipe and the 2GB customer he's getting a guaranteed sustained 62.5Mbps pipe?

Because the number of VM's on the node constantly changes. Let's say the customer with the 16GB plan cancels. What if people buy 2 x 8GB plans? That means there's another (new) customer.

Also, providers have so many nodes with so many different plans and so many different customers. It's impossible to guarantee how many people will be on each node.

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited April 2022

@rackabuser said: Let's say you have a node that shares 32GB RAM and 1Gbps port. You have 1x16GB, 1x8GB, 1x4GB, and 2x2GB customers on that node.

In the first place, the node could be using a shared 1 Gbps port.

@rackabuser said: Why wouldn't you be able to tell the 16GB customer he's getting a guaranteed sustained 500Mbps pipe and the 2GB customer he's getting a guaranteed sustained 62.5Mbps pipe?

Ironically, not doing this is what enables you to get better burst speeds. Also, the reality is you get something like 15 Mbps (or less) per 2GB of ram and it's much harder to sell something with a guaranteed 15 Mbps than to sell something with 1 Gbps burst. (Of course, this isn't true for every provider. The 15 Mbps would hold true assuming 1 Gbps port on a ryzen with 128 GB ram which is quite common on LET nowadays. Also assumes no ram overcommit)