Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your biggest screwup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's your biggest screwup?

I once interned for a development shop that made web apps for some local governments. Often times there was nothing to do, so I got bored and started removing ORM statements that I thought were redundant. Fast forward a few years... well, turns out they weren't reduntant and caused most of their data to eventually get corrupted, along with all the backups they made over the years.

So yeah, that's my biggest screwup. How about you?

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

One of my biggest...

Converting all the BTC ColoCrossing received from customer payments in 2014-2017 immediately into USD and deposit to our bank account.

• @jbiloh said:
    One of my biggest...

Converting all the BTC ColoCrossing received from customer payments in 2014-2017 immediately into USD and deposit to our bank account.

I knew cryptocurrency was going to pop up, just didn't expect it so fast.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@dane_doherty said:

@jbiloh said:
    One of my biggest...

Same here.

I also thought the ipad was stupid when Steve Jobs first told the world we needed one.

Ugh.

Thanked by 2dahartigan Alireza
  • VoidVoid Member

@drizbo said:
    My whole life basically

Man of culture

Thanked by 1devp
  • @jbiloh said:

@dane_doherty said:

@jbiloh said:
    One of my biggest...

Same here.

I also thought the ipad was stupid when Steve Jobs first told the world we needed one.

Ugh.

tell me that apple pencil is not stupid??!!

Thanked by 2devp Alireza
  • Buy VPS from Virmach

Thanked by 2VirMach mustafamw3
  • devpdevp Member
    edited April 2022

@andrewn said:

@jbiloh said:

@dane_doherty said:

@jbiloh said:
    One of my biggest...

Same here.

Ugh.

tell me that apple pencil is not stupid??!!

Products Worth Mention:

• Sony Digital Paper DPTS1 ( Discountinued. A Sony Legendary EInk Product for business users. )
    • Remarkable 2 ( Available ) ( Inspired by Sony Digital Paper )
    • Fujitsu Quaderno ( Available ) ( Build by Netronix that manufactures Sony Digital Paper. Indentical to hardware in Sony Digital Paper )

Reference Links:

• Dropping out of school. Getting arrested at 17. Waiting until my 30's to go back to school and get certs. coasting in my 20's

• Many many years ago, when I was getting acquainted with programming, I did not like GET and POST, because ONE method should be enough for everybody. So I missed the early years of web apps, didn't become a millionaire and didn't write Wordpress, Mantis or Mediawiki. Now it's too late, everything is already made up.

Thanked by 1devp
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

I didn’t check that the correct apparatus was present before I paid. You make the best of it, but you can’t help but be slightly disappointed.

Also, I took out a the website of a major global company by accidentally adding a reference to an include in the code of the include itself, so as so as soon I deployed the code…. death spiral.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@Nekki said:
    Also, I took out a the website of a major global company by accidentally adding a reference to an include in the code of the include itself, so as so as soon I deployed the code…. death spiral.

Global company took itself down by not having a staging/pre-production environment and deploying live without verification

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@jackb said: Global company took itself down by not having a staging/pre-production environment and deploying live without verification

Nah, we had that, a quick check in pre-prod and it looked fine, because the server wasn't under any strain it didn't collapse quickly enough for me or the testers to spot the problem before I pushed the include code live.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2022

When I was 18-20 and didn't save and invest money when I was in a good position. Spent so much money on fast food and games like WoW, and wasted a lot of time. If you're in your late teens or early 20s the best thing you can do is open a Roth IRA and try to max out the $6500~/year contribution limits, even if you just invest it in long term ETF's it is better than blowing the money or letting it sit in a checking account.

• @Nekki said:
    I didn’t check that the correct apparatus was present before I paid. You make the best of it, but you can’t help but be slightly disappointed.

To be fair, they get offended if you ask if they have a pussy.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@MikeA said: If you're in your late teens or early 20s

Currently in this position right now. My personal view is, I don't want to regret NOT doing something (e.g. starting a business) when I get old, which is why I spend money on stuff. Vacations, rent in a good place, eating out, servers for fun, etc...

At the same time, I did create a Roth IRA and maxed it out (perks of being a software engineer, I guess!), but I didn't end up saving much else.

Any advice?

Thanked by 1devp
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

As an operations intern, I released a virus into the company's social networking website.
    Every friend who reads my virus message would automatically repost the same message on their wall.
    Their friends would repost the same when they encounter this message.

It's 2009 when many websites have XSS vulnerability.
    I inserted the virus as a regular user via the browser, not from the data center.
    In other words, any regular user could do so.
    I released similar virus on other websites too, such as one on a college social network that causes everyone to add me as friend.

Nobody could figure out why this weird message is going around, until they asked me and I told them how it works.
    This was the only time I was brought into the General Manager's office, where I got a warning.
    I'm told not to insert any more virus on the production site, but should do such things in the validation environment instead.

Aftermath:
    The XSS was quickly fixed; despite that, the website shuts down a month later and the vendor was not paid.
    I find myself in charge of checking common vulnerability on all the websites made by vendors before they go live.

• dane_dohertydane_doherty Member
    edited April 2022

@yoursunny said: As an operations intern, I released a virus into the company's social networking website. Every friend who reads my virus message would automatically repost the same message on their wall. Their friends would repost the same when they encounter this message.

@yoursunny said: This was the only time I was brought into the General Manager's office, where I got a warning.

That's a slap on the wrist. The other person who did exactly that was raided under the PATRIOT Act and got his internet privileges revoked for 2 years.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
    edited April 2022

@dane_doherty said:

@yoursunny said: As an operations intern, I released a virus into the company's social networking website. Every friend who reads my virus message would automatically repost the same message on their wall. Their friends would repost the same when they encounter this message.

@yoursunny said: This was the only time I was brought into the General Manager's office, where I got a warning.

That's a slap on the wrist. The other person who did exactly that was raided under the PATRIOT Act and got his internet privileges revoked for 2 years.

The website was still in beta at the time.

We had a worse vendor than Myspace.
    There's no filtering whatsoever on the server side.
    I only need to capture request with Fiddler and modify it to contain a script tag.

I released similar virus on other websites too, such as one on a college social network that causes everyone to add me as friend.

This one doesn't spread though.
    I included a form in my forum posts that submits a friend request into a hidden iframe.
    The whole post content is in a button
    Whoever touches anything on my post would submit the form to add me as friend.
    Nobody ever asked me about that, but they quietly changed the endpoint to require CSRF token, after I had thousands of friends.

• My biggest screw up is where im at today. The shit show keeps rolling ...

Thanked by 2Waldo19 Alireza
  • amessamess Member

sudo rm -rf /*

• Firmware update took the company server down for several days

• @lentro said:

At the same time, I did create a Roth IRA and maxed it out (perks of being a software engineer, I guess!), but I didn't end up saving much else.

Excellent! Glad to hear you're doing that. Keep fully funding that Roth as long as you can. Once your income reaches a certain point, you may need to do a "backdoor Roth" to allow you to keep contributing:

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/retirement/backdoor-roth-ira/

Any advice?

Your Roth contributions alone may not be enough for retirement.

If you haven't already, get involved as soon as possible in your employer's 401k plan. Most of them will match your contributions up to a certain amount, which is free money for the taking.

Even if you can't contribute much at first, just keep doing it. It snowballs quicker than you might think!

Thanked by 1lentro
  • @quanhua92 said:
    Buy VPS from Virmach

Ouch! That's something... It wasn't like that before

@amess said:
    sudo rm -rf /*

Was that on purpose?
    I understand if someone removes everything in the home directory instead of /home/user/ accidentally.

• Not that big but I formatted my hard drive that had 2TB+ of old software some I could not recover
    And also me deleting my genuine windows license that arrived as an email when I was cleaning up my inbox. Rip 100$

• @yoursunny said:
    As an operations intern, I released a virus into the company's social networking website.

They really should remove the virus releasing job. I've heard of "Government make-work" before, but that's too extreme.

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

They really should remove the virus releasing job. I've heard of "Government make-work" before, but that's too extreme.

I was told to test the website that is in beta.
    As part of my test, I decided to see whether I can post JavaScript in the timeline just like I did on Renren previously.
    That inadvertently became a virus.

• @yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

I was told to test the website that is in beta.
    As part of my test, I decided to see whether I can post JavaScript in the timeline just like I did on Renren previously.
    That inadvertently became a virus.

That's some bad testing.

• mfrthmfrth Member

@Waldo19 said:
    Dropping out of school. Getting arrested at 17. Waiting until my 30's to go back to school and get certs. coasting in my 20's

at least you get laid for once.

I haven't get laid and still a virgin.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Pursuing computing for education and job. Should have just studied medicine or law.