Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for cheap ASN + IPv4/31 for education/non-commercial
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

looking for cheap ASN + IPv4/31 for education/non-commercial

WIZARDWIZARD Member
edited April 2022 in General

So I was wondering what's the cheapest way of getting an ASN and a very small (/31?) ipv4 space (RIPE).

I'd like to join some IX for educational/private purposes thus I'd very much like to minimize the costs as I won't be getting any revenue from that whatsoever.

I tried with hostUS but it looks they gave up on giving cheap ASNs and they won't go below /24.

e: oops, google wouldn't help me finding the right thread, but manually looking on the general page yielded better results :) https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/160162/the-aio-ip-related-thread-ipv4-ipv6-asn-only-providers-or-lirs-are-allowed-to-post-offers
I guess this thread can be closed

Comments

• ArashArash Member

I can help you to get a ASN (I'm ripe member), but not sure if you can advertise less than /24 to the IX

Thanked by 2Donkey WIZARD
  • OBHostOBHost Member, Host Rep

No one will go below /24 for announcement as its not technically possible.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • AlaxonaAlaxona Member, LIR

/31 is 2 addresses. You can rent Vultr/OVH, cheapest is 3-4-5$/m and it's goes with announcement and 1 address. Second will be 1-2$/m. Other people can get you ASN for free. I think this is cheapest.

Thanked by 1WIZARD
  • i also have similar wish but i want asn and ipv6 from ripe.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2022

@OBHost said:

It's technically possible, just nobody will accept your routes and nobody will lease (besides with a VPS, dedicated server or colo where they are advertising /24 or larger) or sell something that small.

@WIZARD for purely academic purposes you're better off with DN42.

Thanked by 2webcraft WIZARD

@jackb said:

@OBHost said:

It's technically possible, just nobody will accept your routes and nobody will lease (besides with a VPS, dedicated server or colo where they are advertising /24 or larger) or sell something that small.

OP need to announce /31 on his own ASN, Is that possible?

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@OBHost said:

@jackb said:

@OBHost said:

Nobody would accept the routes -- but /24 isn't a technical hard limit as far as I'm aware. More of a practical limit, because anything smaller will get ignored.

@jackb said:

Nobody would accept the routes -- but /24 isn't a technical hard limit as far as I'm aware. More of a practical limit, because anything smaller will get ignored.

Hmm

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

Vultr will let you BGP with a private ASN and with floating IP's

Thanked by 1WIZARD
  • @Advin said:
    Vultr will let you BGP with a private ASN and with floating IP's

Is this what you're referring about?

https://www.vultr.com/docs/high-availability-on-vultr-with-floating-ip-and-bgp/

My understanding of this document is that it's not anycast as commonly used because the instances which can be assigned the floating IP must be in the same Vultr location. Am I reading it correctly or is there something I'm missing?

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2022

@WIZARD said: very small (/31?) ipv4 space

I mean why not. It might not go very far but there's no technical limitation in IPv4 that says it has to be at least a /24. I would recommend you to try a private AS and try doing a /31 internally instead

With time it will be possible to annouce /26 etc but we're still a few years out

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

During the past few days I have begun discussions with a couple of friendly guys about this thread's topic. We might do an article for Low End Box. It might take awhile. Friendly greetings from Mexico! 🌎🌍

Thanked by 1WIZARD