Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternative to Hetzner AX41-NVME - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternative to Hetzner AX41-NVME

2»

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@stefeman said: I wonder how you all missed Hetzner's EX range with Intel 8700

You can use the iGPU to have up to 15x 1080p streams easily.

If you increase vRAM in bios settings it can hold up to 20+ transcodes at the same time.

Plex supports iGPU transcoding directly.

In most cases, no-one needs that sort of transcoding power, it's a tremendous waste of money.

• @Nekki said:

@stefeman said: I wonder how you all missed Hetzner's EX range with Intel 8700

If you increase vRAM in bios settings it can hold up to 20+ transcodes at the same time.

In most cases, no-one needs that sort of transcoding power, it's a tremendous waste of money.

Most of my viewers dont have HVEC support on older devices or in browsers, or the source material codecs vary too much.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@stefeman said: Most of my viewers dont have HVEC support on older devices or in browsers, or the source material codecs vary too much.

Same here, but I don't need to be able to support anywhere near 15 concurrent streams.

• @Nekki said:

@stefeman said: Most of my viewers dont have HVEC support on older devices or in browsers, or the source material codecs vary too much.

Same here, but I don't need to be able to support anywhere near 15 concurrent streams.

Even a single HVEC episode almost maxes out the CPU. Second one causes the server to lag out.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@stefeman said:

@Nekki said:

Even a single HVEC episode almost maxes out the CPU. Second one causes the server to lag out.

I don't seem to have that problem.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2022

@Nekki said:

@stefeman said:

@Nekki said:

I do, and its on AX51-NVME

Watching a single transcoding of the walking dead brings the CPU to 70-80%

Second one will kill the server for others cause then other people's H264 transcodes will start to lag. Im using prefer faster speeds setting too.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@stefeman said:

@Nekki said:

@stefeman said:

@Nekki said:

Second one will kill the server.

Strange, I have a E3-1241 v3, multiple concurrent HVEC streams barely trouble the CPU after the first few seconds.

• @stefeman said:
    I wonder how you all missed Hetzner's EX range with Intel 8700

Why would you even consider non-intel CPU for plex @vitobotta?

Does transcoding work with Docker?

BTW for the same price with the AX41 I get a Ryzen 5 3600 while with the EX42-NVME I get an i7 6700. I think the Ryzen is a lot better isn't it?

• @Nekki said:

@stefeman said:

@Nekki said:

@stefeman said:

@Nekki said:

Second one will kill the server.

Strange, I have a E3-1241 v3, multiple concurrent HVEC streams barely trouble the CPU after the first few seconds.

Which provider?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@vitobotta said: Which provider?

Clouvider, but don't worry about that.

If you configure your Sonarr/Radarr to only grab media with an appropriate encoding and resolution that can play on your client devices without transcoding, you could even make do with a Kimsufi.

• @Nekki said:

@vitobotta said: Which provider?

Clouvider, but don't worry about that.

If you configure your Sonarr/Radarr to only grab media with an appropriate encoding and resolution that can play on your client devices without transcoding, you could even make do with a Kimsufi.

I considered the KS but it seems they only have 100Mbps bandwidth

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@vitobotta said: I considered the KS but it seems they only have 100Mbps bandwidth

Are you using the server for anything else? If not, 100Mbps is plenty for a single stream.

• @Nekki said:

@vitobotta said: I considered the KS but it seems they only have 100Mbps bandwidth

Are you using the server for anything else? If not, 100Mbps is plenty for a single stream.

I have a lot of self hosted apps like Nextcloud and a lot more

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

So what is it you're doing that needs more than 100Mbps upload?

• @Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

Maybe nothing uses that much lol

• @Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

BTW what is the download bandwidth with the Kimsufis?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

BTW what is the download bandwidth with the Kimsufis?

1Gbps, from memory. I'm just running a yabs on one of mine to check what it's getting right now.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited April 2022

Kimsufi, France

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    ---------------------------------
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 99.2 Mbits/sec  | 910 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 99.1 Mbits/sec  | 941 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 99.0 Mbits/sec  | 940 Mbits/sec  
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | 91.4 Mbits/sec  | 448 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 96.3 Mbits/sec  | 899 Mbits/sec  
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 93.6 Mbits/sec  | 827 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 91.0 Mbits/sec  | 858 Mbits/sec

Hetzner, Finland (for comparison)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    ---------------------------------
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 558 Mbits/sec   | 128 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 924 Mbits/sec   | 793 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 926 Mbits/sec   | 852 Mbits/sec  
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | 790 Mbits/sec   | 363 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 879 Mbits/sec   | 194 Mbits/sec  
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 838 Mbits/sec   | 341 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 825 Mbits/sec   | 326 Mbits/sec    

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • OseriOseri Member

Hi @vitobotta, I have a E3-1275V6 with 2x4TB HDD (no SSD) and it can easily handle 10 concurrent transcodes. You can currently get a i7-8700 with 2x6TB HDD for around €46 in the auctions. If using Linux you don't need a SSD, just in your transcoder setting set parameter "Transcoder temporary directory" to /dev/shm so it stores temporary files in RAM.

Be aware that in order to use iGPU hardware transcoding you need to have a Plex pass subscription.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

Maybe nothing uses that much lol

Check your current bw usage with

nload
  • CatixsCatixs Member, Host Rep

AX41is actually one of the best in which performance/value. They own the datacenter and customize their servers.
    Netcup has the same price range but not sure if they offer bare-metal servers.

• @Oseri said:
    Hi @vitobotta, I have a E3-1275V6 with 2x4TB HDD (no SSD) and it can easily handle 10 concurrent transcodes. You can currently get a i7-8700 with 2x6TB HDD for around €46 in the auctions. If using Linux you don't need a SSD, just in your transcoder setting set parameter "Transcoder temporary directory" to /dev/shm so it stores temporary files in RAM.

Be aware that in order to use iGPU hardware transcoding you need to have a Plex pass subscription.

Hi, I see the i7-8700 and it looks interesting apart from the lack of SSD.... If I configure the 2 enterprise HDDs in RAID 0/striping, would it be speedy enough for some apps using postgres/mariadb?

• @vitobotta said:

@Oseri said:

Hi, I see the i7-8700 and it looks interesting apart from the lack of SSD.... If I configure the 2 enterprise HDDs in RAID 0/striping, would it be speedy enough for some apps using postgres/mariadb?

You can order and cancel within 14 days if it doesn't suit your needs.