Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternative to Hetzner AX41-NVME
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternative to Hetzner AX41-NVME

I have a custom config AX41-NVME from Hetzner with Ryzen 5 3600, 64GB of RAM, 2x512GB of NVME primary storage and a 6TB HDD that I added to the config.

It's an awesome server and it works great but it's a little overkill. I host over 40 apps and I still use around 20GB of RAM and the load on the CPU is usually very low even when using Plex.

I was wondering if there is an alternative that would be more convenient for me and not a waste. Say with 32GB of RAM and maybe a little slower CPU, as long as I have some NVME or at least SSD storage for the primary drive and a 4-6TB hard drive for the media.

Is there anything that could compete with AX41-NVME for my needs? For reference this now costs me around 60 euros per month. Thanks!

Comments

• ErisaErisa Member

Hetzner is one of the best value for money dedicated server providers, especially for this kind of config.

Unless you can find something in the OVH Eco range (Which I don't think you can, at least not reliably) I am not sure you will find many.

• @Erisa said:
    Hetzner is one of the best value for money dedicated server providers, especially for this kind of config.

Unless you can find something in the OVH Eco range (Which I don't think you can, at least not reliably) I am not sure you will find many.

That's what I suspected. As an alternative, do you know of any storage VPS with that amount of storage and a decent CPU/RAM config?

• PHP Friends and Netcup are the best if you need some dedicated cores, you can also add some HDD storage. But the price will be similar to your server at Hetzner.

Thanked by 2Erisa yongsiklee
  • jahrincjahrinc Member
    edited April 2022

@vitobotta said: Is there anything that could compete with AX41-NVME for my needs? For reference this now costs me around 60 euros per month. Thanks!

Although the CPU cannot be compared at all, but:

You can find in Hetzner's Server Auction something like:

E3-1275V6 2x NVME (512GB each) + 4 TB HDD for and 32GB RAM 44 euros.

As well for 39 euros i7 4770 2x 512 SSD + 4 TB HDD + 32GB RAM

• @Hotmarer said:
    PHP Friends and Netcup are the best if you need some dedicated cores, you can also add some HDD storage. But the price will be similar to your server at Hetzner.

Then I guess it's not convenient at all.

• @jahrinc said:

@vitobotta said: Is there anything that could compete with AX41-NVME for my needs? For reference this now costs me around 60 euros per month. Thanks!

Which E3 are you referring to? As for the 4770 how is the CPU? Can it handle Plex nicely?

• You edited while I was replying :D

• @jahrinc said:

Where is this one? I can't find it

• dosaidosai Member

Stay with hetzner and don't look for LE providers. You will end up disappointed.

• @dosai said:
    Stay with hetzner and don't look for LE providers. You will end up disappointed.

I love Hetzner, it's awesome of course. I just think what I have is overkill. But maybe something from the auction could work.

• @vitobotta said:

@Hotmarer said:
    PHP Friends and Netcup are the best if you need some dedicated cores, you can also add some HDD storage. But the price will be similar to your server at Hetzner.

Then I guess it's not convenient at all.

It also depends on how much disk space you need.

Check the offers I have placed below, maybe they will suit you. After contacting the PHP Friends, you can buy additional a HDD space.

Maybe you just need the simple offer from Netcup where you have 1 TB of disk space.

https://php-friends.de/vserver-ssd vServer L SSD G3 AMD
    https://www.netcup.de/vserver/ RS 4000 G9.5

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@vitobotta said:

@jahrinc said:

Which E3 are you referring to? As for the 4770 how is the CPU? Can it handle Plex nicely?

To get an answer to the question regarding Plex you need to elaborate on your use case - are you transcoding, if so, how many streams and what resolution are those streams?

• @Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@jahrinc said:

To get an answer to the question regarding Plex you need to elaborate on your use case - are you transcoding, if so, how many streams and what resolution are those streams?

Just one stream. It's only me using it.

I can't find the E3-1275V6 with 2x NVME plus 4TB HDD. Where do you see it?

• @vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@jahrinc said:

I can't find the E3-1275V6 with 2x NVME plus 4TB HDD. Where do you see it?

https://robot.your-server.de/order/marketConfirm?id=1698357&server_id=1698357

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited April 2022

@jahrinc said: You can find in Hetzner's Server Auction

Yeah, check the auction page. Inventory changes frequently. Configs with NVMe plus a hard drive are less frequent and probably on the more expensive end, but shouldn't be long until a suitable config in the € 40-50 range appears.

Write nvme in the search box, slide the hard drive size to 4 TB.

• @vitobotta said: Where do you see it?

4e080ed43ce7639794b74721d7164ff8.png

• @jon617 said:

@jahrinc said: You can find in Hetzner's Server Auction

Yeah, check the auction page. Inventory changes frequently. Configs with NVMe plus a hard drive are less frequent and probably on the more expensive end, but shouldn't be long until a suitable config in the € 40-50 range appears.

You can also use notification bot: https://github.com/danielskowronski/hetzner-auction-hunter

• @jahrinc said:

@vitobotta said: Where do you see it?

4e080ed43ce7639794b74721d7164ff8.png

I couldn't see the same because I have Finnish prices enabled. That server is 55e for me so it's just 5 euros cheaper than what I have now and thus not convenient.

The one below might be OK but I am not sure about Plex. Like I said I only transcode one stream per time.

• BTW how fast are "Enterprise HDDs"? If I have two of them and I put them in RAID 0 would speed be good enough? What do you think?

• The one below looks interesting too. Same question about Plex

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@jahrinc said:

You need to answer the entire question - are you transcoding and what quality are the files?

• @Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@jahrinc said:

You need to answer the entire question - are you transcoding and what quality are the files?

I am still new to Plex and the related apps so just use everything default. I don't need the "max quality". I am not sure about the resolution but as long as it looks decent on a 28" then it's all good. I think I watched a 720p movie recently and it looked good enough if I remember correctly.

• From this page https://support.plex.tv/articles/201774043-what-kind-of-cpu-do-i-need-for-my-server/ sounds like any of those aforementioned CPUs would do, right?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@jahrinc said:

I am still new to Plex and the related apps so just use everything default. I don't need the "max quality". I am not sure about the resolution but as long as it looks decent on a 28" then it's all good. I think I watched a 720p movie recently and it looked good enough if I remember correctly.

Mate, if you’re not transcoding, you barely even need a CPU - if you do a bit of work upfront you could save yourself a fortune.

• @Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@jahrinc said:

Mate, if you’re not transcoding, you barely even need a CPU - if you do a bit of work upfront you could save yourself a fortune.

I just use Sonarr/Radarr to download and Plex to watch. What do you mean by work upfront?

• @vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@jahrinc said:

I just use Sonarr/Radarr to download and Plex to watch. What do you mean by work upfront?

He means you are downloading a movie in 4k but you are watching in 720p on your computer and the server has to transcode it.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

@jahrinc said:

Work out what sort of files you’re going to play and what your client devices are and from that work out what server resources you’re likely to need.

• If all your doing is downloading stuff/single stream you could probably get by with just a 20$vps with shared cores and some storage. No reason to pay for dedicated resources if your not using it 24/7

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2022

I wonder how you all missed Hetzner's EX range with Intel 8700

You can use the iGPU to have up to 15x 1080p streams easily.

If you increase vRAM in bios settings it can hold up to 20+ transcodes at the same time.

Plex supports iGPU transcoding directly.

Why would you even consider non-intel CPU for plex @vitobotta?

Thanked by 2Falzo dev077