Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Should editing of posts be allowed? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Poll: Should editing of posts be allowed?

2»

Comments

• I think this is a golden opportunity for LET to generate more funds. Users can be charged to be allowed the privilege to edit their own posts.

Can be sold as add-on packages ranging from allowing lifetime edits to as low as 1 min. After all a word from a mouth can't be taken back once said. (unless they cough-up enough money ofcourse).

• edit

• LisoLiso Member

Well, if you gonna make cool down longer than 1day, I think you should put revision history, this way anyone can see what the original post was.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

1 hour is a minimum, I am posting comment then editing, same thing I do in my writings. Not only grammar and shit, but also quote another thing comment, add another quote, etc. I try very hard to avoid posting twice in a row, but I came close when the editing time expired.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • I still reckons we need a public edit history and virtually no edit timeout. Tickles all orifaces at once.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • it was an hour before, suddenly no one recalls why its become 15mins. a poll is not necessary; a statement should suffice.

• zedzed Member

@dahartigan said:
    I still reckons we need a public edit history and virtually no edit timeout. Tickles all orifaces at once.

i'm with this guy, this one time.

a more important edit issue is mods changing post titles.

• mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

@rattlecattle said:
    I think this is a golden opportunity for LET to generate more funds. Users can be charged to be allowed the privilege to edit their own posts.

Can be sold as add-on packages ranging from allowing lifetime edits to as low as 1 min. After all a word from a mouth can't be taken back once said. (unless they cough-up enough money ofcourse).

Just wow...

Thanked by 2lentro rattlecattle
  • why not ?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I've changed the edit time to 1 hour.

• 1 USD / time for premium members.

Thanks for everyone who voted.

We've changed edit time to 1 hour.

I am also going to look into if a plugin exists to enhance the function of edit privileges. Something that logs plus adds tiers for OP vs. comments to have separate time settings would be ideal.

• 10 minutes

or/and

always allow but with a snapshot

• titustitus Member

English is not my native language, and sometimes need to correct my 'typo' after the comment. ..or add some extra sentences without create a new one. Because of this, the 'edit' option (sadly) is my friend :) The 1 hour limit is perfect for me. For transparency reasons It can be acceptable for me, if the comment (edit) history accessible for Moderators, Admins (or registered users only maximum).

Maybe I remember wrong, but the comments wasn't previously editable for 1 hours?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • 1 hour is good, that's plenty of time to get your post right.

@acidpuke said:
    1 hour is good, that's plenty of time to get your post right.

Agreed.

Hopefully I can find a plugin that gives us more options, but for now, 1 hour makes sense to me. Seems like its a popular choice given the poll results.

• ErisaErisa Member

The poll also showed quite a trend towards preferring unlimited time for edits, though I don't think that should be done without some other compromise to ensure it doesn't cause chaos.
    I wouldn't know anything about plugins but I hope you manage to find something.

Thank you for the change back to 1 hour.

• @jbiloh said:

@NobodyInteresting said:
    Wasn't the latest one 1hr?

Looks like it was changed recently to 15mins.

It is currently sett to 15 minutes. I am not aware of any change to this setting recently.

I'd be concerned of such an important setting being changed without notice or discussion and nobody with access admits doing it intentionally or unintentionally.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Make it append only

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2022

@jbiloh said: Hopefully I can find a plugin that gives us more options, but for now, 1 hour makes sense to me. Seems like its a popular choice given the poll results.

You should use some of the funds to hire a developer instead of just writers and video editors.

(edit) Looks like you posted that you are right after my comment!

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@VirMach said:

@jbiloh said: Hopefully I can find a plugin that gives us more options, but for now, 1 hour makes sense to me. Seems like its a popular choice given the poll results.

You should use some of the funds to hire a developer instead of just writers and video editors.

(edit) Looks like you posted that you are right after my comment!

Looking at the changelog for the latest Vanilla OSS code base it seems like now might be the time to start the work of transitioning.

• I guess a time period between 1 hour to 1 day would be optimal for letting users edit their comments.

• Personally, I do not think it is really necessary to impose any time limit on post editing. :)