Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Should editing of posts be allowed?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Poll: Should editing of posts be allowed?

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Currently all users on LowEndTalk are able to edit their posts for 15 minutes after the discussion or comment is published:

Should we change this setting?

Voice your opinion!

Based on feedback received and comments from our mod/admin team we may make an adjustment to the current 15 minute limitation.

Thanked by 1confining
Editing Posts/Comments
  1. Should we extend how long you can edit on LowEndTalk?197 votes
    1. No, leave it at 15 minutes
      29.95%
    2. Yes, increase it to 1 hour
      24.87%
    3. Yes, increase it to 1 day
      11.68%
    4. Yes, increase it to 1 week
        2.54%
    5. Yes, increase it to 1 month
        2.54%
    6. Yes, always allow edits no matter how much time has passed
      28.43%

Comments

• 30 min for comments.
    However long for OP, especially for offer threads.

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@foitin said:
    30 min for comments.
    However long for OP, especially for offer threads.

Does not appear that we can differentiate between original post and comments thereafter.

• @jbiloh said:

Does not appear that we can differentiate between original post and comments thereafter.

Then it'll be a sticky situation.
    If I have to choose one I'd say 1 month for everyone considering the need of update from providers.

• Wasn't the latest one 1hr?

Looks like it was changed recently to 15mins.

Thanked by 2BlazinDimes titus

@NobodyInteresting said:
    Wasn't the latest one 1hr?

It is currently sett to 15 minutes. I am not aware of any change to this setting recently.

@foitin said:

@jbiloh said:

Then it'll be a sticky situation.
    If I have to choose one I'd say 1 month for everyone considering the need of update from providers.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. :)

• SPSP Member

15 minutes is more than long enough to realize you fucked up.

• @jbiloh said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

It is currently sett to 15 minutes. I am not aware of any change to this setting recently.

Are you positive? I swear it was 1hr a few days ago. I edit 90% of my posts, mostly due to poor handling of fat fingers lol.

I say leave it as it was for comments - 1hr, and allow OP posting in certain categories (for example - offers) to be able to change within 24hrs, as sometimes providers post stuff by mistake, and are a few hrs too late to edit out.

This should relieve some strain from the moderation team, so they don't have to go to threads that have been flagged by OP, to change something minor.

@NobodyInteresting said:

@jbiloh said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

Are you positive? I swear it was 1hr a few days ago. I edit 90% of my posts, mostly due to poor handling of fat fingers lol.

I say leave it as it was for comments - 1hr, and allow OP posting in certain categories (for example - offers) to be able to change within 24hrs, as sometimes providers post stuff by mistake, and are a few hrs too late to edit out.

This should relieve some strain from the moderation team, so they don't have to go to threads that have been flagged by OP, to change something minor.

Because Vanilla has essentially no native logging through the GUI I cannot say for sure.

I will dig into the database to see.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Yes, it was an hour before this.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

On a forum like LET, 15 minutes is sufficient. This allows one to correct typos or to reformulate a sentence or two.

What a number of us dislike is when someone deletes the content of their post and others can no longer tell what people have replied to.

A limit of 15 minutes doesn't completely eliminate this behavior, but it reduces it.

• edited April 2022

@DP said:
    Yes, it was an hour before this.

For me, it allows 1 hour to edit posts.
    Vanilla is fun 😋

I'd suggest 1 week as a compromise for Providers to update their deals (as locations come into stock or run out)

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@angstrom said:
    On a forum like LET, 15 minutes is sufficient. This allows one to correct typos or to reformulate a sentence or two.

What a number of us dislike is when someone deletes the content of their post and others can no longer tell what people have replied to.

A limit of 15 minutes doesn't completely eliminate this behavior, but it reduces it.

If you edit your post right now, does my reply remove your quote? I didn't think it worked that way.

@Offshore_Solutions said: I'd suggest 1 week as a compromise for Providers to update their deals (as locations come into stock or run out)

Too long.

They can just post a new update themselves, or if absolutely required, they can always seek assistance from the mods to edit/update an existing post.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Hello!

@angstrom said:

I agree with @angstrom!

I voted for leaving the allowed time period for editing as is at 15 minutes. That's enough to catch typos.

Fixing typos is fine. Changing the historical record creates much confusion. IMHO!

Best wishes!

Tom

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • ErisaErisa Member

If technical limitations didn't exist, I would say that the best solution is to allow infinite edits but maintain a history of what the post used to be. GitHub does this for example.

That aside, I found 1 hour to be sufficient, 15 minutes is stifling.

@Not_Oles said: I voted for leaving the allowed time period for editing as is at 15 minutes

It has always been 60 minutes (1hr) - at least for some months, or maybe years.

This was apparently changed to 15 minutes.

Not sure when, but I noticed this just some weeks ago.

• ErisaErisa Member

@jbiloh said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

It was 1 hour until a few days ago, I can confirm this as well.

It was 4 hours several months ago and has been on a downwards trend ever since.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • ErisaErisa Member

@DP said: It has always been 60 minutes (1hr) - at least for some months, or maybe years.

It was 4 hours when I was active last year

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@Erisa said:

@DP said: It has always been 60 minutes (1hr) - at least for some months, or maybe years.

It was 4 hours when I was active last year

Yeah, I now remember that too, and also the comments per page was also changed some time ago.

Thanked by 2Erisa FrankZ
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@VirMach said:

@angstrom said:

If you edit your post right now, does my reply remove your quote? I didn't think it worked that way.

If I understand you well, indeed, if someone has already quoted the original post, then the quoted post isn't affected if the author of the original post decides to delete the content of their post.

That said, there have been many cases on LET where others reply without quoting the original post, and then the author of the original post decides to delete its contents. Keeping the time allowed for editing the original post short means that the author of the original post has less time to delete its contents.

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2022

It used to be an hour and my opinion is that an hour is good.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • Only if there was some way to gather money from providers to hire someone to "fix" this in Vanilla and give providers a week to edit opening post and override the default settings.

• @angstrom said:

That's why quote-reply is just plain good etiquette so context isn't confused.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • Also, on mobile, there's got to be a way to delete a draft without leaving the thread.

For example, I quote reply someone. I start replying and then realize I don't want to. I highlight it all, delete it and go on. Next day, I go to reply to something else and my previously "deleted" text is back and inserted at the top of unrelated response. Happens regularly.

Thanked by 1RapToN
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited April 2022

@TimboJones said: Happens regularly.

On my linux/Firefox laptop too, so not confined to mobile phone use.

• I think it was an hour until yesterday, but in any case, an hour is better than 15 minutes.
    More longer is good if it can keep a history of past changes.

• Can we show a public edit history for each post? IF so, then increase the 15 min to 4 hours like it was.

• Even I agree,

1 hour for comments.

1 day for OP.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

1 hour. Insta ban to OPs who delete or significantly edit content of the first post. No exceptions.