Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best free Cpanel alternative! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best free Cpanel alternative!

Comments

• @m0dg0d said:
    Hello,
    I'm searching a free webhosting control panel.
    It will be used for a small webhosting business.

You will want ISPConfig.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@OkieDoke said:
    On the contrary, Windows is far superior as a server platform than Linux.

That is interesting please elaborate.

• Ajenti and VestaCP are pretty but they come nowhere near virtualmin/webmin in terms of functionality. Their functionality is limited and also their security is a ?! If you want a robust and secure cpanel alternative, your only/best option is virtualmin.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2013

@Atomic7 said:
    Ajenti and VestaCP are pretty but they come nowhere near virtualmin/webmin in terms of functionality. Their functionality is limited and also their security is a ?! If you want a robust and secure cpanel alternative, your only/best option is virtualmin.

Virtualmin is packed full of features that most people won't use, making it unapproachable and overwhelming to the average person looking for a cpanel replacement. As for security, I don't know that it is more secure than the other options you mentioned. Is it really? Based on what? It's still a web based interface for shell execution.

But anyway, ajenti isn't a cpanel replacement. Vesta is. I suspect you haven't used it if you place it next to ajenti and claim it doesn't have the feature set for a hosting control panel. I'm a bit of a fanboy of it right now and there's a good reason. I've been searching for it for years. One does not simply find what they have been looking for after so much time and brush it off like it's not a big deal.

• Although it isn't free, I'd take a look at a control panel like InterWorx. It is just an extremely usable CP that's great for clustering and very intuitive. The staff is great as well. You can find really cheap monthly licenses from authorized resellers or you can purchase a one time license directly from them. They also sell a monthly or yearly subscription that comes with support.

• jarland said: As for security, I don't know that it is more secure than the other options you mentioned. Is it really? Based on what? It's still a web based interface for shell execution.

Based on the duration of time they are in use. Virtualmin has stood the test of time while Ajenti and VestaCP are fairly new and nothing much is known about their security. And I never said virtualmin/webmin is more secure than ajenti or vestacp.

@jarland said:
    But anyway, ajenti isn't a cpanel replacement. Vesta is. I suspect you haven't used it if you place it next to ajenti and claim it doesn't have the feature set for a hosting control panel :)

I have tried both ajenti and vestacp but I find them very limited. And I wasn't comparing ajenti to a hosting control panel, I was just comparing it to webmin. And you just have to install virtualmin to get both hosting control panel (virtualmin) and server control panel (webmin) while ajenti lacks hosting control panel and vestacp is nothing but a very limited hosting control panel. So you have to install both ajenti and vestacp to achieve the functionality of virtualmin and they are both separate control panels, which makes them more vulnerable than a unified virtualmin/webmin control panel. The only upside to both ajenti and vestacp are their looks and nothing else.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited December 2013

@Atomic7 said:
    Ajenti and VestaCP are pretty but they come nowhere near virtualmin/webmin in terms of functionality. Their functionality is limited and also their security is a ?! If you want a robust and secure cpanel alternative, your only/best option is virtualmin.

Did you even install Ajenti and try it, Ajenti is not a hosting panel, it's a server control panel.

Where have you seen anyone question the security of VestaCP.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @painfreepc said:
    Did you even install Ajenti and try it, Ajenti is not a hosting panel, it's a server control panel.

Did you even read my previous post?

Thanked by 1k0nsl
    edited December 2013

Put people in front of virtualmin and just about any other hosting control panel and see how many people can actually use it. The only benefit of virtualmin is that it helps keep lazy admins lazy. If you can use virtualmin out of the box then great, but then why do you need a panel? A panel is generally requested for those who can't, and those who can't should be using something that empowers them, not provide them with another thing to learn how to do. If they wanted to learn, they could learn the command line. It's really no more difficult than webmin anyway, as webmin doesn't preconfigure anything for you besides a GUI shell replacement.

Sorry there is just no way that webmin/virtualmin is something I would actually recommend to others unless I enjoyed shooting myself in the foot. It's like "hey here's a suggestion that will likely result in you asking me for help after you install it and can't figure out how to use it." I don't mind helping people but consistently recommending something to people that won't immediately empower them severely limits the number of people I can empower and would be a judgement error on my part.

A hosting control panel should allow users to easily set up virtual hosts, email, FTP, cron jobs, DNS, and do backups. If that feature set isn't enough for you in a hosting control panel, you really should be looking beyond memory wasting panels. There is such a thing as too many options. At some point it becomes cluttered and unproductive.

• @Atomic7 said:
    Did you even read my previous post?

are post are 2 minutes apart, you posted at the same time i am editing.

edited December 2013

Not sure why the guy has to come in and pull the "your options suck and mine is the only one worth using" really. Douchebag I'm sure. I'll play that game for kicks but the truth is you use what works for you. You don't have to walk away victorious from the...suggested alternative thread. If you have a legit security concern bring it up. Otherwise make your suggestion instead of trying to incite arguments and elevate yourself by making accusations that are unfounded. You don't need to undermine other people's suggestions to make your own. Let the user decide, undermine if someone else makes a suggestion that presents a risk, which only zPanel so far fits.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited December 2013

@jarland said:
    A panel is generally requested for those who can't, and those who can't should be using something that empowers them, not provide them with another thing to learn how to do. If they wanted to learn, they could learn the command line. It's really no more difficult than webmin anyway, as webmin doesn't preconfigure anything for you besides a GUI shell replacement.

jarland +1

I am working on a site now, to offer the install of Ajenti and VestaCP,

Thanked by 2jar ryanarp

@painfreepc A lot of people could benefit from initial setup and securing of their vps for a one time fee. Some good money in that if you get your name out there.

• @jarland said:
    Not sure why the guy has to come in and pull the "your options suck and mine is the only one worth using" really. Douchebag I'm sure. I'll play that game for kicks but the truth is you use what works for you. You don't have to walk away victorious from the...suggested alternative thread. If you have a legit security concern bring it up. Otherwise make your suggestion instead of trying to incite arguments and elevate yourself by making accusations that are unfounded. You don't need to undermine other people's suggestions to make your own. Let the user decide, undermine if someone else makes a suggestion that presents a risk, which only zPanel so far fits.

LOL! You surely are easily excited, aren't you? I am not trying to undermine other people's suggestions, I am just expressing my opinion. It's a fact that virtualmin/webmin is a much better control panel than vestacp or ajenti. There is nothing special about them, they just have a pretty GUI. Many prefer bimbos, I am just not one of them.

Put a virtualmin user in front of vestacp or even cpanel and see which one he'll choose. Basically, someone shouldn't consider shared hosting without cpanel; but if the purpose is to cut down the cost, then the best option is virtualmin. VestaCP is okay, but it's limited and is nowhere compared to cpanel or virtualmin.

If I am starting a web hosting business, I would stick to something reliable and well known like cpanel or virtualmin, I wouldn't be comfortable with something which is fairly new, has limited functionality and about which no extensive feedback/testing is available.

edited December 2013

Atomic7 said: Many prefer bimbos

That's what I mean. You don't have to be a douchebag and somehow "disprove" (and needlessly insult) everyone else's...preference...to make a suggestion. It is obviously your preference to do so though, so thanks for clarifying what your position is on this forum. To clarify that for you, you've picked the role of "pretentious guy who thinks his opinions better than everyone else's." I like this forum better without you people. I've got a browser addon for that.

The "best" alternative is the one that fits your needs and provides a productive workflow for you. For you, maybe that's virtualmin, that's no reason to tell people that everyone else's suggestions are wrong and potential security concerns when you know nothing in the way of whether or not that is even true.

• Kloxo-MR. Not Kloxo, but like said Kloxo-MR.

• Atomic7 said: LOL! You surely are easily excited, aren't you?

Well, this is exactly what I meant:

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/14768/member-no-signature

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/14774/should-let-users-be-allowed-to-discuss-policies-on-let

jarland said: That's what I mean. You don't have to be a douchebag and somehow "disprove" (and needlessly insult) everyone else's...preference...to make a suggestion. It is obviously your preference to do so though, so thanks for clarifying what your position is on this forum. To clarify that for you, you've picked the role of "pretentious guy who thinks his opinions better than everyone else's." I like this forum better without you people. I've got a browser addon for that.

The "best" alternative is the one that fits your needs and provides a productive workflow for you. For you, maybe that's virtualmin, that's no reason to tell people that everyone else's suggestions are wrong and potential security concerns when you know nothing in the way of whether or not that is even true.

I can't help it if you like this forum without people like me, don't like this forum or anything else. But I like this forum better with people like you. It keeps the low end drama on and provides entertainment for readers. And if you have so much problem, maybe you should just stick to the other (your beloved) forum. Just because you use those panels, doesn't mean everyone has to like/praise them. I tried those panels with some expectations, but I was seriously disappointed. I never said that your suggestions are wrong or those panels are insecure. I just said that they have limited functionality and there is not enough data to know whether those panels are really secure or not, which is absolutely true.

I know you like being a dick, it's in your nature and I can't help it:
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/345044/#Comment_345044

And as far as the OP is concerned, I suppose he already found his answer.

m0dg0d said: I think this will be my solution. Trying it.

• Agree with KloxoMR. Easy install on Centos. If you can't stand Centos/RHEL, try ISPconfig on Debian-solid panel but non-trivial install, even with a script.

For auto app installation, Kloxo's InstallApp is no longer supported and hasn't worked for me. But Installatron is free for a single IP with one domain on Kloxo. The recent version of ISPconfig3 has its own auto app installer.Neither are as complete as Softaculous but free panel + free auto-installer make sense for a newbie's LEB.

Still have to learn security though. My first LEB showed more than 32,000 login attempts in 8 months. Made me learn fail2ban and appreciate Kloxo's lxguard.

edited December 2013

The reason I recommend Virtaulmin, basically, is that it has reminders to stay up to date with the os too.
    So many people setup some free panel like old kloxo or zpanel and forget about it.
    Apart from being insecure, they do not help you keep updated other things you might run there, some not even the basic hosting stuff (apache, bind, sendmail, whatever).
    I do not seek a debate here, I just state my reasons, learning virtualmin makes you understand the basic principles of linux and how components interact.
    It is easier to help people with virtualmin and they will learn the rest once they understand the big picture the problem with linux learning is that people get to it following tutorials on how to setup x and y panel or gameserver/teamspeak whatever.
    They do not get the whole picture and how the system needs mainetenance apart from their apps.
    Virtualmin is a good starting point, I have over 10 year of teaching basic linux, I know what i say.
    Things like these should be put to wiki:
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/17915/basic-virtualmin-installation-and-configuration-guide-20-images#latest

• @m0dg0d time is money, so if you think that time is better spent struggling with free (as in beer) options, then your own time isn't worth much. Say what you want about cPanel, but at the end of the day it's pretty damn good for what it is. And no, beer is not free... anywhere in the world :D

marcm said: struggling with free

At the end of the day cpanel doesnt setup it for you nor do they teach you how to configure/operate it better than virtualmin.
    Frankly, apart from the desktop in some cases, it is harder for me to understand and manage windows, especially with the licensing part since I never guess correctly how much will cost x and y features, I find myself limited in the middle of the operation because I didnt spent 10 k more on a feature I only need marginally, but without which the project wont work.
    In the case of panels it is even more clear, cpanel is where it is due to the dotcom bubble when everyone was offering unlimited hosting with cpanel for pennies. People struggled to learn it then because was more or less free, now cpanel says, tough luck, you will need to fork the quid. Same as windows with academic licensing.
    It is not like they are struggle free, they do the stuff for you, you need to work to learn it, but at first the licensing is free, so you dont care, but if you would learn OS software in the time you spent learning proprietary software you could go ahead free for the rest of your life.
    Sure, if you are a professional, you will have to know both in detail, but as a user you have a choice.

• @Maounique there was a time when I hated cPanel, but with time it grew on me :)

I do not hate it, we provide directadmin licensing, for example, it is just that microsoft kept beating the dead horse of TCO explaining how hard is to use free software and how bad will it damage your business and in the end it will cost much more than the "proper" licensed software.
    I felt a blast from the past with your remark about the "struggle with free".

edited December 2013

@marcm said:
    Maounique there was a time when I hated cPanel, but with time it grew on me :)

It's pretty much all I work with all day every day. After a while you hate it more, but you start to understand better why they've done this or that. They could use some code cleanup and optimization, and certainly "could" do some things differently, but the majority of hosts aren't out there to do crazy minimalistic setups, they want the tried and true solution and quite frankly cPanel is as tried and true as it gets in the industry. I can't think of a panel that has been used that widely for the purpose, ever, and all things considered the security holes have been minimal relative to the volume.

• Maounique said: I felt a blast from the past with your remark about the "struggle with free".

Windows on a proper server = the horror

jarland said: They could use some code cleanup and optimization, and certainly "could" do some things differently, [...]

I couldn't agree more, and the glacial speeds at which they implement new features and fix bugs... Nginx and PHP-FPM for example should have been working by now (been integrated), considering how much they charge everyone.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • skaska Member
    edited December 2013

@jarland said:
    [...] quite frankly cPanel is as tried and true as it gets in the industry. I can't think of a panel that has been used that widely for the purpose, ever, and all things considered the security holes have been minimal relative to the volume.

I guess Plesk comes pretty close. At least in Europe it's (besides Confixx) (luckily) much more common than cPanel. Plesk is how the user-interface of cPanel should be done, from the layout to it's respective functionality. But then again, both are non-free. At least you have to pay for both when using it as a provider. Plesk is free for a private amount of domains afaik.

• try webuzo

• There is also http://www.froxlor.org/

They have a demo http://demo.froxlor.org/ opensource and support nginx

• vote for webuzo, no reseller function but it the best alternative for cpanel

• @lukesUbuntu said:
    There is also http://www.froxlor.org/

They have a demo http://demo.froxlor.org/ opensource and support nginx

I just gave this a try on a droplet, it's kind of confusing, it's more like a configuration file creator then an actual control panel.

@ewwink said:
    vote for webuzo, no reseller function but it the best alternative for cpanel

I gave this a try recently, seems to support Nginx/PHP-FPM just fine, however since it's based off Softaculous there is certainly a lack of server management options and configuration settings.