Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the constant bump of threads an issue? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is the constant bump of threads an issue?

Comments

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited March 2022

@MannDude said: The difference is one person is doing it for visibility because it's allowed. Me, at least, did it for a combination of visibility but also in protest to point out how dumb it is to even allow it.

Of course, I have no problem with protesting against a stupid and honestly unfair practice.

Its just that given the recent set of events, pointless bumps will become the way of life here, as every provider tries to maximize the value of their investment, and while it's good for Jon so that he and Dustin can make more RN ads; the conversational, educational and social aspects of the forum would be destroyed (and as I've argued elsewhere, those aspects are pretty much on its last legs).

It obviously hurts to write this, but @Saahib and @risharde are correct in pointing out that those things might not be needed anymore; the forum can probably sustain itself based on PMS threads and double bandwidth.

I hope it does work out for Jon, but I don't foresee myself actively partaking in this forum in the same way I don't watch TV because of its propensity to serve the lowest common denominator - it only serves to waste your time while conferring no useful values or skills that you could use.

Thanked by 2MannDude Saahib
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Team push-ups needs to make a constant bumping thread sometime.
    One push-up per bump, delivered weekly.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@yoursunny said:
    Team push-ups needs to make a constant bumping thread sometime.
    One push-up per bump, delivered weekly.

Bumped threads go up, then down.

Push-ups go down, then up.

Haha! :)

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • As the old saying goes - if you can't beat them, join them.

Providers: put up a giveaway thread following the formula and see what happens. Worst case you're right, best case you have more exposure.

Punters: If you hate freebies and deals you bring shame to the low end world.

Tin foil hat brigade: Use one of the various means of hiding purple daddy and clone threads and enjoy a "pure" experience without them (and lose your chance for free shit)

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • If some users think there's constant bump of similar threads/offers from providers, then such users should contribute more by making new threads related to the topic instead of reading and re-reading the old ones? There's lot of happening around the "internet", computer world, etc related to servers, cpu, datacenters, and then there are few good tutorials you can write and share with us, like couple of days ago someone had made a thread to proxy VPS traffic to their origin server to hide their IP, so any techno-savvy user here can answer that thread with a tutorial or make a new thread, thereby keeping forum alive with various related topics. I'm sure this forum is not meant for just offer-threads and rants!

Thanked by 1Blazingfast_IO
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

it is not an issue ,every provider should take advantage of this

• @Mastodont said:

@stevewatson301 said: Virmach threads are somewhat entertaining

I don't understand why Virmach didn't prepare the servers first and only then accepted the orders ...

To get cashflow and cover expenses.

• @stevewatson301 said:
    in the same way I don't watch TV because of its propensity to serve the lowest common denominator - it only serves to waste your time while conferring no useful values or skills that you could use.

Wow, that's pretty weird thinking considering you're not forced to watch any particular thing while having thousands upon thousands of options for you to choose. You must be fun at parties.

• @stevewatson301 said:
    Maybe I should just take a break from LE*; this forum has gone to shit and the other forums have none of the activity that this one has.

A script can't fix this anymore because its not just purple daddy doing it, pointless bumps have been institutionalized in this forum.

• duckeeyuckduckeeyuck Member
    edited March 2022

how do i hack vps ram?
    i tried the dev tools in the browser and changed my ram from 256mb to 80000mb and it work until i refresh page

what do? anyone has free online hack 2022 for vps ram?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

It’s very odd and stupid to see the Xmas or BF deals in March, April or May time on LET as someone is bumped the old thread instead of contacting hosting support department.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@WebProject said:
    It’s very odd and stupid to see the Xmas or BF deals in March, April or May time on LET as someone is bumped the old thread instead of contacting hosting support department.

I would rather see Virmach open a new thread rather than continuing the discussions in this old thread:

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/153793/virmach-black-friday-cyber-week-2018-raid-10-ssd-openvz-kvm-check-inside-for-offers#latest

I suppose part of the reason there is still so much attention on it is because a lot of the services sold haven't been delivered yet?

• vedranvedran Veteran

@stevewatson301 said:
    A script can't fix this anymore because its not just purple daddy doing it, pointless bumps have been institutionalized in this forum.

Now who would have thought this might happen? I'm as shocked as anyone else

@jbiloh said:

@WebProject said:

I would rather see Virmach open a new thread rather than continuing the discussions in this old thread:

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/153793/virmach-black-friday-cyber-week-2018-raid-10-ssd-openvz-kvm-check-inside-for-offers#latest

I suppose part of the reason there is still so much attention on it is because a lot of the services sold haven't been delivered yet?

Blame https://notvirmach.com for this thread.
    All of the originally advertised services have been delivered.

@yoursunny said:

@jbiloh said:

@WebProject said:

Blame https://notvirmach.com for this thread.
    All of the originally advertised services have been delivered.

What hasn't been delivered yet?

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@jbiloh said:

@WebProject said:

We're fine with all offer threads sinking again as they used to in the past, because that would make sense. But only if all of them do. We've been posting in the old offer threads since the beginning of time, if there are replies to it, there will be a reply back. There will be updates posted, and people also like hanging around.

This thread was only "unsunk" because at the time there were something like 5 different threads from another provider which will not be named. Hey, at least we're not halving bandwidth amounts on our packages and then asking for a comment to double it (outside of any time we did that ironically) and the primary focus of our offer thread isn't a giveaway where people spam reply for entries, and we most certainly do not purposefully space out our replies to people to continue bumping our thread ourselves.

@jbiloh said: I suppose part of the reason there is still so much attention on it is because a lot of the services sold haven't been delivered yet?

Why is there so much attention on this thread?

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/175286/let-blackfriday-lounge-a-deal-for-everyone-100s-of-giveaways-racknerds-official-blackfriday/p311

Is it because all the bandwidth hasn't been doubled yet?

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@VirMach said:

@jbiloh said:

@WebProject said:

We're fine with all offer threads sinking again as they used to in the past, because that would make sense. But only if all of them do. We've been posting in the old offer threads since the beginning of time, if there are replies to it, there will be a reply back. There will be updates posted, and people also like hanging around.

This thread was only "unsunk" because at the time there were something like 5 different threads from another provider which will not be named. Hey, at least we're not halving bandwidth amounts on our packages and then asking for a comment to double it (outside of any time we did that ironically) and the primary focus of our offer thread isn't a giveaway where people spam reply for entries, and we most certainly do not purposefully space out our replies to people to continue bumping our thread ourselves.

@jbiloh said: I suppose part of the reason there is still so much attention on it is because a lot of the services sold haven't been delivered yet?

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/175286/let-blackfriday-lounge-a-deal-for-everyone-100s-of-giveaways-racknerds-official-blackfriday/p311

There's no real secret as to why RackNerd obtains so much attention. We've repeatedly been voted #1 top provider by the community. It's simple, we've invested in our support department which has quickly proven to be a key to providing support that customers can actually count on. As a result, our reputation reflects the service we provide, and our popularity continues to grow, alongside our business!

While I'm not against businesses being a one-man operation (when starting). It is important to expand support, especially one that isn't built on nickel and diming -- you definitely don't want to cause barriers when it comes to communication with your customers.

We're able to succesfully run our business, render service on time, offer support that can be reached 24x7 with response/resolutions often within minutes. On top of that the performance we're able to provide, many of our customers can appreciate and frequently vouch for.

I encourage providers to frequently engage with the community, their customers and find ways to grow their business - as the ones who remain silent, don't invest in marketing, and aren't taking advantage of any exposure they can get, often suffer.

On that note, double bandwidth has given our customers additional peace of mind. We'll continue to be creative, give back, and grow our business. We've got some more double bandwidth requests to fulfill (thank you)!

• vovlervovler Member
    edited March 2022

If you want to double someone's bandwidth you can create a custom package with it doubled, there shouldn't be a need for anyone to post their order ID so it gets doubled.
    That is not real engagement. Your reply to it saying "thanks for buying, we've doubled your bandwidth" is also not real engagement, it's borderline spam.
    It's manipulation for the threads are always on top, and it should not be allowed. Why would you think anyone wants see an old Blackfriday deals thread? it's almost April ffs

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@vovler said:
    If you want to double someone's bandwidth you can create a custom package with it doubled, there shouldn't be a need for anyone to post their order ID so it gets doubled.
    That is not real engagement. Your reply to it saying "thanks for buying, we've doubled your bandwidth" is also not real engagement, it's borderline spam.
    It's manipulation for the threads are always on top, and it should not be allowed. Why would you think anyone wants see an old Blackfriday deals thread? it's almost April ffs

@vovler — great question! When these plans are originally designed, they are created with a specific allotment - it’s not as simple as doubling bandwidth for everyone’s orders. We do choose to double bandwidth conditionally based upon the situation of the unique order placed (every double bandwidth request is manually reviewed before it is processed). The good news is, based upon the popularity of these packages and our KVM VPS services in general as well, we’ve been able to restock numerous locations along the way that were not originally available as well, including Ashburn and Atlanta.

It’s also our way of communicating with a customer, as a sign-up does not necessarily mean you as the provider will have an opportunity to interact/engage with the customer. In fact, this arrangement is beneficial for all providers who are active within the community, as we’re able to bring new users to the community (for example there may be a lot of lurkers here that never signed up or participated in this community before, but now do as a result of our activities).

• I'm sure there are a non-insignificant number of people who registered for a LET account purely to get the double bandwidth. Of those, I'm sure that a non-zero number have also made a purchase from another LET host or have contributed in some way to the forum (posting, viewing ads, etc etc) as a (in)direct result of that promo.

@dahartigan said:
    I'm sure there are a non-insignificant number of people who registered for a LET account purely to get the double bandwidth. Of those, I'm sure that a non-zero number have also made a purchase from another LET host or have contributed in some way to the forum (posting, viewing ads, etc etc) as a (in)direct result of that promo.

The more users on LowEndTalk, the better for all providers.

• @dustinc said: There's no real secret as to why RackNerd obtains so much attention.

Does it matter as to how the engagement is obtained? I'm sure providers operate differently and they may go about differently about it.

Also, please leave out the pleasantries and your judgement of the quality of the question and answer it directly. Thank you.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@dahartigan said:
    I'm sure there are a non-insignificant number of people who registered for a LET account purely to get the double bandwidth. Of those, I'm sure that a non-zero number have also made a purchase from another LET host or have contributed in some way to the forum (posting, viewing ads, etc etc) as a (in)direct result of that promo.

In that case, this can still be done without allowing a thread not to sink for months. We did plenty of communication with customers, even while our thread sank in the past.

It just harms the general user experience when there's perpetually a bunch of old offers on the front page.

@dustinc said:

@VirMach said:

@jbiloh said:

@WebProject said:

There's no real secret as to why RackNerd obtains so much attention. We've repeatedly been voted #1 top provider by the community. It's simple, we've invested in our support department which has quickly proven to be a key to providing support that customers can actually count on. As a result, our reputation reflects the service we provide, and our popularity continues to grow, alongside our business!

While I'm not against businesses being a one-man operation (when starting). It is important to expand support, especially one that isn't built on nickel and diming -- you definitely don't want to cause barriers when it comes to communication with your customers.

We're able to succesfully run our business, render service on time, offer support that can be reached 24x7 with response/resolutions often within minutes. On top of that the performance we're able to provide, many of our customers can appreciate and frequently vouch for.

I encourage providers to frequently engage with the community, their customers and find ways to grow their business - as the ones who remain silent, don't invest in marketing, and aren't taking advantage of any exposure they can get, often suffer.

On that note, double bandwidth has given our customers additional peace of mind. We'll continue to be creative, give back, and grow our business. We've got some more double bandwidth requests to fulfill (thank you)!

Sorry, not that you actually answered the question, but I wasn't trying to get you to respond to my comment in defense or praise of your business. It was just a rhetorical question directed at Jon to highlight the absurdity of his question.

• edited March 2022

@jbiloh said:

@dahartigan said:

So the more users that register with a single task of saying "double this and that" and the provider replying with "your this and that has been doubled", in a single thread, for a single provider, is better for all providers?

Am I missing something? Did you re-read your post, before pressing the "post comment" button?

Its a pain in the rear for most providers, and for almost all members that come here to bring YOU content. You know, the ones that make this community a community.

If you consider this growth spam registration, and bumping spamming threads, as content that helps your forum grow - you, sir, are living under a nice big ole purple rock.

@NobodyInteresting said:

@jbiloh said:

@dahartigan said:

So the more users that register with a single task of saying "double this and that" and the provider replying with "your this and that has been doubled", in a single thread, for a single provider, is better for all providers?

Am I missing something? Did you re-read your post, before pressing the "post comment" button?

Its a pain in the rear for most providers, and for almost all members that come here to bring YOU content. You know, the ones that make this community a community.

If you consider this growth spam registration, and bumping spamming threads, as content that helps your forum grow - you, sir, are living under a nice big ole purple rock.

The desire is for users who come to LowEndTalk from that funnel chose to stay awhile and become an active member of our community.

Someone who signs up and posts once and never returns is of little value. But that's not how it always, even mostly, works out.

It's a balancing act no doubt which needs continued incremental refinement to make sure we are approaching things from the best possible angle.

• @jbiloh said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

@jbiloh said:

@dahartigan said:

The desire is for users who come to LowEndTalk from that funnel chose to stay awhile and become an active member of our community.

Someone who signs up and posts once and never returns is of little value. But that's not how it always, even mostly, works out.

It's a balancing act no doubt which needs continued incremental refinement to make sure we are approaching things from the best possible angle.

I just randomly clicked on a few users that have spammed the purple threads, and majority have a few posts since they joined, all of which include the words "double" and "invoice".

So where are you getting your metrics from?

Thanked by 1webcraft

@NobodyInteresting said: I just randomly clicked on a few users that have spammed the purple threads, and majority have a few posts since they joined, all of which include the words "double" and "invoice".

There's definitely some of that and on my todo list is an outreach effort directly to that subset of users.

There's also more than a few who signed up with their first post on a Black Friday thread and now have hundreds of comments.

I'm just spot checking every so often.

• HxxxHxxx Member

@dustinc Instead of asking for users to post the order-id here, you could take that engagement into the other social media platforms. Ask the user to like your twitter, fb, ig profile to receive double bandwidth, then ask the user to open a ticket with your department. This way it could be more rewarding to you and get the attention from other customers that use such medias without causing the inconvenience of users spamming let. Just an opinion, you run your business however you like of course.

@Hxxx said:
    @dustinc Instead of asking for users to post the order-id here, you could take that engagement into the other social media platforms. Ask the user to like your twitter, fb, ig profile to receive double bandwidth, then ask the user to open a ticket with your department. This way it could be more rewarding to you and get the attention from other customers that use such medias without causing the inconvenience of users spamming let. Just an opinion, you run your business however you like of course.

A possible explanation is that, LET and RackNerd are indirectly owned by the same parent company that we do not yet know about.
    Hence, RackNerd funnels traffic to LET, and LET priorities promotion of RackNerd.

• WSWDWSWD Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said:
    A possible explanation is that, LET and RackNerd are indirectly owned by the same parent company that we do not yet know about.
    Hence, RackNerd funnels traffic to LET, and LET priorities promotion of RackNerd.

At the very least, there are some sort of kickbacks taking place. There is absolutely no other explanation for showing so much bias towards one provider, and one provider only. There is no doubt that some relationship exists.