Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the constant bump of threads an issue?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is the constant bump of threads an issue?

HxxxHxxx Member
edited March 2022 in General

How can the forum maintain neutrality if we see the same individuals participating in the same set of threads of specific providers, constantly bumping old threads? At what point an offer thread should stop surfacing (front page). Why are multiple threads (offers) of the same provider still allowed to appear in the front page?

Options:

• Nothing to fix.

-Remove comment ability on offers

-Moderate heavily those threads and split topics with a different title.

-Prevent the ability of threads to surface again after 10 days. Permanent sink.

Just imagine you could vote on these things, give an opinion. Keep it classy. Essay's are welcome.

Have a good day.

Comments

• depends if you paid for it.

• What makes you think the forum even tries to be neutral?
    Some providers pay for visibility. Nothing wrong with that, that's the way it works basically everywhere. Of course these providers will be prioritized, otherwise they would not pay.

As long as the forum is free for users, you are part of the product.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited March 2022

@rcy026
    The thread is not specific to the ads, those are good, every provider can pay for those and participate.

• @Hxxx said:
    @rcy026
    The thread is not specific to the ads, those are good, every provider can pay for those and participate.

The forum threads with offers are also ads.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • Let’s keep this thread bumped for eternity.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • Invoice # 627289
    Please double my bump intolerance.

Thanked by 2Madcityservers BlaZe
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

bump!

• HxxxHxxx Member

@rcy026 said:

@Hxxx said:
    @rcy026

Those are not paid. Forget the provider tag fee for a moment.

• HxxxHxxx Member

@NobodyInteresting said:
    Invoice # 627289

Your intolerance has now doubled.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited March 2022

@caracal said:
    Let’s keep this thread bumped for eternity.

Please and thank you.

• @Hxxx said:

@rcy026 said:

@Hxxx said:
    @rcy026

Look at the constantly bumped threads here with tens of thousands of posts, and then look at the ads. See some kind of connection?

Thanked by 3Hxxx pbx bulbasaur
  • HxxxHxxx Member

@rcy026 said:

@Hxxx said:

@rcy026 said:

@Hxxx said:
    @rcy026

Look at the constantly bumped threads here with tens of thousands of posts, and then look at the ads. See some kind of connection?

:D

• edited March 2022

@Hxxx said:

@NobodyInteresting said:
    Invoice # 627289

Your intolerance has now doubled.

Thank you for being a loyal customer! We hope that you're enjoying our services.
    We have been growing exponentially, and we owe it all to losers that we scammed when we were called AlphaRacks YOU!
    We will be expanding to many more locations soon. We are just waiting on our hardware to arrive (even though we just rent servers via CC and not actually colocate anything, but we sound so much more professional when we use big words!).
    We look forward to providing you with the best service in the future (or at least for 6 months after PP payment).

• @Hxxx said:
    How can the forum maintain neutrality

Neutral? It is well known that the purple guy now and then has a sinking problem because of daddycated services with no extra benefits.

• HxxxHxxx Member

@turdski purple is not the only color with that problem.

• @Hxxx said:
    @turdski purple is not the only color with that problem.

Well there’s Virmach whose threads were initially sunk. However, Francisco called out Biloh’s favouritism and the threads were subsequently unsunk.

Also, compared to purple daddy’s threads, Virmach threads are somewhat entertaining.

• @stevewatson301 said: Virmach threads are somewhat entertaining

I don't understand why Virmach didn't prepare the servers first and only then accepted the orders ...

• @Mastodont said:

@stevewatson301 said: Virmach threads are somewhat entertaining

I don't understand why Virmach didn't prepare the servers first and only then accepted the orders ...

In an environment where spam is the way of life, there's not much else you can do.

• nO

aka bump

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

It's a balance between genuine user engagement and not allowing the most recently updated thread list to be manipulated.

Recently a number of popular threads, including RackNerd threads have been sunk.

Other threads where there is genuine user interaction we are miniotiring and are ok right now.

Other threads where remarks like "pointless bump" without sincere engagement appear to be an effort to manipulate the forum and may require some attention.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @jbiloh said: Other threads where remarks like "pointless bump" without sincere engagement appear to be an effort to manipulate the forum and may require some attention.

@MannDude

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@stevewatson301 said:

@jbiloh said: Other threads where remarks like "pointless bump" without sincere engagement appear to be an effort to manipulate the forum and may require some attention.

@MannDude

Because responding with order numbers is sincere engagement.

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited March 2022

@MannDude said:

@stevewatson301 said:

@jbiloh said: Other threads where remarks like "pointless bump" without sincere engagement appear to be an effort to manipulate the forum and may require some attention.

@MannDude

I thought someone here would at least try to hide his favoritism towards a certain purple provider, but no, he's not even trying.

Also, "pointless bump" is on the same level as "{$PURPLE_PROVIDER}Gang" and the likes.

• @stevewatson301 said:

@MannDude said:

@stevewatson301 said:

@MannDude

I thought someone here would at least try to hide his favoritism towards a certain purple provider, but no, he's not even trying.

Also, "pointless bump" is on the same level as "{$PURPLE_PROVIDER}Gang" and the likes.

I agree. Plus, its right on point(less).

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • Blazingfast_IOBlazingfast_IO Member, Host Rep

@jbiloh said:
    It's a balance between genuine user engagement and not allowing the most recently updated thread list to be manipulated.

Recently a number of popular threads, including RackNerd threads have been sunk.

Other threads where there is genuine user interaction we are miniotiring and are ok right now.

Other threads where remarks like "pointless bump" without sincere engagement appear to be an effort to manipulate the forum and may require some attention.

I was not aware that this was a "problem" since I saw other threads using the same kind of giveaway method for example: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/177410/new-kvm-vps-deals-by-racknerd-instant-deployment-freebies/p1
    The only difference seems to be that the phrase changes every x amount of days.
    But I am all for following rules please do close my recent thread if it is somehow hurting the forum. I will still do the giveaway with the entrys up until you close it.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Blazingfast_IO said:

@jbiloh said:

I was not aware that this was a "problem" since I saw other threads using the same kind of giveaway method for example: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/177410/new-kvm-vps-deals-by-racknerd-instant-deployment-freebies/p1
    The only difference seems to be that the phrase changes every x amount of days.
    But I am all for following rules please do close my recent thread if it is somehow hurting the forum. I will still do the giveaway with the entrys up until you close it.

You're welcome to proceed with your free giveaway :).

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

• Maybe I should just take a break from LE*; this forum has gone to shit and the other forums have none of the activity that this one has.

A script can't fix this anymore because its not just purple daddy doing it, pointless bumps have been institutionalized in this forum.

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@stevewatson301 said:
    Maybe I should just take a break from LE*; this forum has gone to shit and the other forums have none of the activity that this one has.

A script can't fix this anymore because its not just purple daddy doing it, pointless bumps have been institutionalized in this forum.

The difference is one person is doing it for visibility because it's allowed. Me, at least, did it for a combination of visibility but also in protest to point out how dumb it is to even allow it.

When providers are asking customers for order numbers on a public forum to activate upgrades instead of handling that shit in-house, through their helpdesk, or asking visitors to copy/paste some spammy phrase to enter a contest, it's as pointless as just saying, "pointless bump".

The issue isn't genuine customers/visitors bumping old threads with genuine questions / concerns about an offer. The issue Jon allowing providers to ask for pointless comment spam and allowing the same providers to utilize LET as a replacement to their helpdesk for handling orders / upgrades.

So, with that said, "pointless bump".

• umzakumzak Member

Thats why this forum alive

Thanked by 1BlaZe