Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think is reasonable yearly fee for provider ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you think is reasonable yearly fee for provider ?

Comments

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited March 2022

@jbiloh said:

@KermEd said: Paywalls don't grow communities, they block them. It is quite literally how a paywall works.

I don't see it as a paywall.

Those demanding the money rarely do.

What LowEndTalk is doing is asking companies among us...

I'll stop that sentence right there. There was no asking, and it wasn't LowEndTalk. It was you that sent invoices, with payment overdue reminders the next day. And anyone who doesn't pay your gets their status stripped and demoted.

That wasn't 'LowEndTalk' 'asking' anyone anything.

Another way of looking at that is demanding providers, some of whom may very well depend on LET thread posts, to pay a newly invented fee of $200/year or risk their tag and status. Even if they can afford it, there are some who may even call that extortion.

• Consider the existence of OGF, either the owner want to kill this site or he doesn't know anything about Lowend.

• taizitaizi Member

100000$ per year, then transfer the cost to the price
    I won't charge on users doesn't mean I can't exploit the provider(sry, I mean host rep because I didn't pay for the tag yet)then let the provider have to exploit the users.
    can't let users pay to you?EZ bypass!
    profit:)

Thanked by 2bulbasaur kkrajk
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@acidpuke said:
    My opinion would be pay as you go would be better, instead of a yearly fee. I think its would be easier to adjust to.

Black Friday would be where most the action would be for the year.

Maybe $25 a post for offers to start with.

Right now Provider Tag holders can post an offer every 10 days, so 3 times per month.

The fee is $13/month for the first six months, so that's $4.33 per offer the first six months.

After the first six months it goes up to $5.33 per offer.

• @jbiloh said:

@acidpuke said:
    My opinion would be pay as you go would be better, instead of a yearly fee. I think its would be easier to adjust to.

Black Friday would be where most the action would be for the year.

Maybe $25 a post for offers to start with.

Right now Provider Tag holders can post an offer every 10 days, so 3 times per month.

The fee is $13/month for the first six months, so that's $4.33 per offer the first six months.

If that is whats currently working, I would stick to the same model just increase the costs. Everything is going up with inflation and gas prices its to be expected.

That keeps a large fallout from occurring to this site.

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited March 2022

@jbiloh said: Right now Provider Tag holders can post an offer every 10 days, so 3 times per month.

Is this really the LET that you envision in future? That providers post every 10 days just to maximize their value? This is a vanilla forum and not the traditional forum. The front page will be filled with ghost threads.

If every provider posted every 10 days, very soon LET will be nothing different from WHT. The same offers being posted over and over again in fixed intervals, and users can't be bothered to look through the same offers.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited March 2022

I don't think it's wise to set max prices providers can charge while at the same time asking them for an annual subscription to post offers.
    What will happen is that the cost will be transferred to the buyers, either by settings higher prices or by lowering the resources.

Big players such as OVH/Hetzner will most likely not pay a dime and just not post anything, pretty sure LET sales are mostly irrelevant to them, and even if they didn't advertise here, LET people will find those offers regardless, and most likely some LET user will post their blackfriday/sales offer as a general topic.

Providers selling NAT's for $2/year will no longer exist. So LET will eventually lose the LowEnd part and the community will most likely slowly start to leave. I really think @jbiloh is killing the community with this move.

A better way to deal with this in my opinion would be forcing every provider to have an affiliate program, and in "Offers" the provider would be forced to use LET's affiliate link and that would pay like 10% to jbiloh on each sale. Of course there still would be issues with providers that don't have an affiliate program and won't implement it just for LET's sake such as OVH.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

@jbiloh said:
    Our community needs to grow and it needs more and bigger funnels that drive people to LEB and LET. Someone hits LEB because of a content piece, and they join LET and vice versa.

In order for our pool of users to continue to grow and offer providers the opportunity to sell the users services, we need to stay relevant. To stay relevant we need content. Content isn't free. So it's a big picture sort of thing and when some very vocal users say "just go away and don't touch it" -- in my humble opinion that is actually dooming it to guaranteed failure in some period of time.

We are asking those among us (providers) who make the most money from this site to effectively allocate $16/month to LowEndTalk - and only $13/month for the first 6 months after the discount. That's less than a Netflix subscription and an absolutely amazing value when you consider how expensive other means of advertising are. If no one contributes, places like LET/LEB/ETC don't exist after a period of time and/or wither over time to irrelevancy.

Look how far we've come the last two years. I am going to continue to be dedicated to building an enhancing the platform for the benefit of all but that takes resources. So here we are.

This is pretty much bs. Who in this forum has asked for content? Who has asked said that this forum is not good enough? Any data to back this up? There is lots of contribution in the forum as it is right now, providers contributing and some users posting guides etc.
    The world does not need more content that no one watches anyway.

1. Hire a full time video content creator
    2. Hire a second supplemental tutorial writer
    3. Fund the redesign of the platform to conform with current WP standards
    4. Payoff the note used to buy the platform
    5. Invest in ad spend on social media to drive more traffic to LowEndBox and LowEndTalk
    6. Fund more giveaways, special prizes and etc

Fixed that for you. It's not about if it's a lot of money or not, it's just that it's not necessary so why should you throw money at it.

Thanked by 4KermEd BlaZe RIYAD adly

@NoComment said:

@jbiloh said: Right now Provider Tag holders can post an offer every 10 days, so 3 times per month.

Is this really the LET that you envision in future? That providers post every 10 days just to maximize their value? This is a vanilla forum and not the traditional forum. The front page will be filled with ghost threads.

If every provider posted every 10 days, very soon LET will be nothing different from WHT. The same offers being posted over and over again in fixed intervals, and users can't be bothered to look through the same offers.

No, I was exercising the math for the purpose of comparison vs. what @acidpuke suggested.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited March 2022

I think you missed the option of 150 to 250 dollars range.

I think 200 dollars is fine. However, I'm not a provider.

let's look at this economically.

LET has to bring more than 100 dollars every 6 months in value to be a good/useful tool to pay. That's @jbiloh and his team saying that their subscription is worth that price tag. I think the most capable providers yes will 10x/30x/50x etc. (might be an exaggeration or not, but the point still stands... the people who benefit the most from it should pay) this value and will gladly pay for it.

Smaller/newer providers might not get the full value they expect, but honestly this all still remains on them.

I can understand people are upset at this and can see this as another method to squeeze $$$ out of the community (in this case, the providers). But realistically, come on guys. LEB/LET is an avenue for customer acquisition for companies. There are a surprising number of companies that have made their start from LE* and then moved on to different markets.

They gain benefit from the community by advertising here. I don't think it's too insane for them to request a bit of funding for the provider tag since it's @jbiloh and team's job to foster and maintain a pool of buyers (aka the forums).

To put it bluntly...

LEB/LET is selling access to you, the non-provider-server-buying-community-member to providers at 100 dollars every 6 months. While that might upset you the non-provider-server-buying-community-member, the "unwritten contract/agreement" is that the additional capital will fund for more "free" and significantly higher quality content for you to enjoy and consume. It's a transaction. Previously, this access as a product was free to providers.

Content making is hard. It costs more and more now to make it happen. Give this a shot. If this doesn't work out (or if the providers don't see a value in it), then they can cancel their subscription and it's done. If you don't like it then simply stop going to LEB/LET.

But I think the team is worth the investment and worth giving a shot to see how this grows. They're open to feedback and open to discussions.

That's pretty much it.

Thanked by 1devp
  • 200 USD/year is not a particularly outrageous price

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

$100 every 6 months is very reasonable. The ROI is well worth it.

• I agree with jasonM:

• 2 free offer posts per year
    • thereafter $xxx (100, 150?) per year fee

This is LOW end talk.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • kkrajkkkrajk Member
    edited March 2022

See any that do, that often?

• ChefJoeChefJoe Member
    edited March 2022

@FoxelVox said:

• On the other hand, people argue that 200$/yr is high for a provider, which i can see for really smally/hobby providers being issue. But please keep in mind the kinds of visitors this forum only gets. It's literally specific advertisement with specific targeting in the hosting market with high value reach, directly in the customer group you want to advertise in. 16$/mo is a steal if you compare it with alternatives.

I think quoting the per-month price masks the barrier to entry. If you're a newer provider who has never been on LET, you have to file for Provider tag approval and pay $100 (or $80 if the discount holds) before they're making any offers here. That's why newer provider tags being offered some sort of subsidized "try us out" deal seems needed (be that something like $20 for 3 months with your first set of offers or a "coupon code" that's good for providers only during their first 4 years). I'm not sure mega-threads or responding to request threads is going to be attractive from an income/commitment ratio vs using other forums as your launchpad.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Make these payment terms possible for the providers.

• Annually
    • Semi-Annually
    • Quarterly
    Thanked by 1dustinc

@ChefJoe said:

@FoxelVox said:

• On the other hand, people argue that 200$/yr is high for a provider, which i can see for really smally/hobby providers being issue. But please keep in mind the kinds of visitors this forum only gets. It's literally specific advertisement with specific targeting in the hosting market with high value reach, directly in the customer group you want to advertise in. 16$/mo is a steal if you compare it with alternatives.

I think quoting the per-month price masks the barrier to entry. If you're a newer provider who has never been on LET, you have to file for Provider tag approval and pay $100 (or $80 if the discount holds) before they're making any offers here. That's why newer provider tags being offered some sort of subsidized "try us out" deal seems needed (be that something like $20 for 3 months with your first set of offers or a "coupon code" that's good for providers only during their first 4 years). I'm not sure mega-threads or responding to request threads is going to be attractive from an income/commitment ratio vs using other forums as your launchpad.

I understand. This is part of why we made the recent adjustment to give Host Reps more capabilities (able to market services directly in request threads, for example).

@DP said:

• Annually
    • Semi-Annually
    • Quarterly

This is definitely worth thinking about. Will discuss internally.

@DP said:

• Annually
    • Semi-Annually
    • Quarterly

This is a smart tweak.

We've announced the change.

Thanked by 2ChefJoe dustinc
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@tomle said:
    The world does not need more content that no one watches anyway.

1. Hire a full time video content creator
    2. Hire a second supplemental tutorial writer
    3. Fund the redesign of the platform to conform with current WP standards
    4. Payoff the note used to buy the platform
    5. Invest in ad spend on social media to drive more traffic to LowEndBox and LowEndTalk
    6. Fund more giveaways, special prizes and etc

LEB+LET is often referred to as a bundle.
    Shutdown LEB and only operate LET, and then the costs would be more reasonable.

Thanked by 3bulbasaur Ganonk adly
    edited March 2022

@yoursunny said: LEB+LET is often referred to as a bundle.

LEB pushes a ton of traffic to LET. If LEB goes away, there are fewer people on LET, which means fewer buyers of services for the providers. It's a symbiotic relationship.

@jbiloh said:

LEB pushes a ton of traffic to LET. If LEB goes away, there are fewer people on LET, which means fewer buyers of services for the providers. It's a symbiotic relationship.

Please show statistics, not just "a ton".

@yoursunny said:

@jbiloh said:

Please show statistics, not just "a ton".

LowEndBox is the #3 referral source for LowEndTalk behind Google Desktop Search and Google Mobile Search.

One of our goals the past few years has been ranking LowEndBox highly on important keywords on Google. For example, LowEndBox used to rank 10-20 on "Cheap VPS" but now ranks #1 behind the paid ads.

That didn't happen by accident. That's the content strategy working.

Google pushes traffic to LowEndBox. LowEndBox pushes traffic to LowEndTalk.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • free for first 2 or 3 offers/yr and charge few bucks per offer after that.

Thanked by 1kkrajk

@jbiloh said:
    LowEndBox is the #3 referral source for LowEndTalk behind Google Desktop Search and Google Mobile Search.

Ranked 3rd, but what percentage?
    "Google Desktop 45%, Google Mobile 44%, LEB 3%" and "Google Desktop 30%, Google Mobile 29%, LEB 28%" are very different ratios.

One of our goals the past few years has been ranking LowEndBox highly on important keywords on Google. For example, LowEndBox used to rank 10-20 on "Cheap VPS" but now ranks #1 behind the paid ads.

If there's no LEB, some of the search traffic would go to LET directly.

• raviravi Member

My opinion is: Fee should be just to distinguish serious providers. And it should not be more than $12 / year.

Just because many (or few) providers make good sale through LET platform, doesn't justify to pay to post offers.

Thanked by 2KermEd bulbasaur
  • @eris said:
    $200 is fair.. If you can't pay 16 dollar / month for advertising...

notice that $16 / month is not the cost of advertising. It's for paying provider tag. it's like renting a booth. You need to shell another bucks to actually do the advertising, e.g. paying employee (to response to question, posting offer, etc), do promotion / discount code for LET.

It's not about $16 / month, because most provider probably already allocated that kind of advertising budget. It's about adding unnecessary annually fee. I mean, chance are, if you are working as a host rep on a forum, you will get paid more than $16 a month.

• @NoComment said: The front page will be filled with ghost threads.

it will be happen

@vovler said: What will happen is that the cost will be transferred to the buyers, either by settings higher prices or by lowering the resources.

it will be happen

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2022

IMO it'd make more sense to use CPA (cost per action), for example a fixed percentage per purchase, with a maximum cap per year. Providers that earn more from LowEndTalk posts pay more for the exposure.

Otherwise, $100/year would be a reasonable price. CPM and ROI would likely still be better than many other advertising platforms, making it a good deal.

Thanked by 1kkrajk

@Daniel15 said: Otherwise, $100/year would be a reasonable price. CPM and ROI would likely still be better than many other advertising platforms, making it a good deal.

Probably the best advertising option in the entire industry as far as ROI is concerned.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2022

@jbiloh I guess my point with suggesting CPA rather than a fixed fee is that someone like @Cam who sells a lot of <$5/year services shouldn't have to pay as much as someone like @dustinc who (my guess) would sell at least 50x more services and earn at least 100-500x more revenue from LET.

Thanked by 1kkrajk