Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone self host Nextcloud using Wasabi or other s3 compatible service as primary storage?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does anyone self host Nextcloud using Wasabi or other s3 compatible service as primary storage?

I am wondering about the performance compared to using local storage. Anyone?

Comments

• angeliusangelius Member
    edited March 2022

Hey Vito, I tried it recently with B2
    It's ok for big files (mp3, videos) but it's slow for small files (text, photo gallery)
    I also tried with Minio instance in the same datacenter and it was much better because of lower latency even for small files

• My next test will be with a cluster of Garage S3 (https://garagehq.deuxfleurs.fr/)
    They mention explicitly the use case with Nextcloud

• If it's slow then I'll stay with Hetzner's Storage Share. Thanks!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • o_be_oneo_be_one Member
    edited March 2022

@angelius said: It's ok for big files (mp3, videos) but it's slow for small files (text, photo gallery)

Is there a way to use some caching? I remember with fuses3 or something related i've used cache and it was really better.

@vitobotta said: If it's slow then I'll stay with Hetzner's Storage Share. Thanks!

Well if you can really get a better price it could be interesting, but Hetzner Storage Share is damn cheap for a managed NextCloud where you are admin :open_mouth:

• ErisaErisa Member

I did it with Scaleway Object Storage once just to see how it went. It seems to perform fine enough as long as there is low latency between your Nextcloud instance and the object storage bucket.

But my actual Nextcloud that I use is a Hetzner Storage Share. I was never completely sure about keeping the one I had but then they dramatically reduced the prices and now I'm sold and not letting it go.