Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Storage Box and Share price drop
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Storage Box and Share price drop

ErisaErisa Member
edited February 2022 in General

After making a vague news post about their Storage Box and Storage Share products, it appears the pricing has changed.

My Storage Share went from
€5.88/mo (incl. 20% UK VAT) for 500GB
to
€4.68/mo (incl. 20% UK VAT) for 1TB!

The boxes also had a dramatic price drop/restructure, with the cheapest plan remaining the same price but increasing tenfold from 100GB to 1TB and the 2TB plan being increased to 5TB. Unfortunately the inbetween plans are now missing.

Storage Share: https://www.hetzner.com/storage/storage-share
Storage Box: https://www.hetzner.com/storage/storage-box

Storage Share is a managed Nextcloud instance (Where you are the admin), while Storage Box is sort of like backup storage that you can access over FTP/FTPS/SFTP/SMB/CIFS/Rsync/WebDAV.

Both products also now include unlimited bandwidth, and Storage Share now has automatic off-site backups that you can restore in the panel.

This was mentioned in the Hetzner Online chitchat thread however I felt it would get buried there and deserved its own discussion point. Feel free to PMS in the comments if you feel the need.

Comments

• Good price. Will take one box.
    Thanks for sharing!

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@Erisa said:
    After making a vague news post about their Storage Box and Storage Share products, it appears the pricing has changed.

My Storage Share went from
    €5.88/mo (incl. 20% UK VAT) for 500GB
    to
    €4.68/mo (incl. 20% UK VAT) for 1TB!

The boxes also had a dramatic price drop/restructure, with the cheapest plan remaining the same price but increasing tenfold from 100GB to 1TB and the 1TB plan being increased to 5TB. Unfortunately the inbetween plans are now missing.

Storage Share: https://www.hetzner.com/storage/storage-share
    Storage Box: https://www.hetzner.com/storage/storage-box

Storage Share is a managed Nextcloud instance (Where you are the admin), while Storage Box is sort of like backup storage that you can access over FTP/FTPS/SFTP/SMB/CIFS/Rsync/WebDAV.

Both products also now include unlimited bandwidth, and Storage Share now has automatic off-site backups that you can restore in the panel.

This was mentioned in the Hetzner Online chitchat thread however I felt it would get buried there and deserved its own discussion point. Feel free to PMS in the comments if you feel the need.

Worthy of a bookmark, good to see something actually go down in price than go up and very reasonably priced / affordable

Thanked by 2Erisa skorous
  • Just upgraded from the BX40 to BX21

3TB for the same price...

Thanked by 2Erisa JasonM
  • What happens with the free 100GB backup storage you get by a Dedicated server? Does it also get an increase to 1TB?

• @eris said:
    What happens with the free 100GB backup storage you get by a Dedicated server? Does it also get an increase to 1TB?

According the FAQ, those will remain as 100GB for the forseeable future. To detach a box from a server you now have to accept the paid upgrade to 1TB.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Wow this is very cheap. From a pure storage/backup perspective this is even cheaper than Backblaze B2.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

This price shuffle makes storage box one of the cheapest backup solution, 5TB for $11.31.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • Very attractive pricing indeed!

It works out to less than $3/TB/month for the 5 TB model, and about $2/TB/month for the 20 TB version.

These aren't fully featured VMs, of course, but this product could certainly replace a VPS used purely for storage and backups.

Now, when will they roll them out in the US location...

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @Erisa said: Both products also now include unlimited bandwidth

Very interesting.

What sort of throughput and latency do you get in & out on those boxes?
    (I'm primarily interested in to/from the UK and secondarily to EU locations, others of course will care for info about elsewhere!)

I don't need gbit at all for what I'm thinking of, or 100mbit really, but I'd be looking for "several 10s of mbit" to be something I could rely upon for a reasonably sized (tens+ of Gbyte) bulk transfer.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited February 2022

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: What sort of throughput and latency do you get in & out on those boxes?

Same as the cloud servers, each node has shared 10Gbit between all clients. Typically in the past I've been able to achieve full gigabit. According to a Twitter post they "usually" get "20-50 MB/s" though I have sometimes gone above that as I said.

Source is german but you can translate:

Or @Hetzner_OL can elaborate because Katie is here too

Regarding latency, it's just whatever you have to the location (Falkenstein or Helsinki) plus the overhead of the protocol, really.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Hi there @MeAtExampleDotCom - You can always try out a Storage Box for a few days to test the performance, and if you are unsatisfied, you can cancel it within 14 days. Here's the cancellation guide: https://docs.hetzner.com/general/cancellation/cancellation-robot
    Thanks to @Erisa for re-posting my tweet. :)
    The end of the tweet also says, "If you have any other questions [about Storage Box performance], please write a support request via Robot, and then you'll get an answer directly from the Storage Team." If you are already a customer, please do that. It you're not yet a customer, you can always use our support form here: https://www.hetzner.com/support-form --Katie

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • taapotaapo Member

So .... why didn't I automatically get the new pricing for the same storage? I was trying to change my storage box size, and suddenly saw the new options. But I have been paying the old price for the last two months now ... I also don't see it advertised in a Hetzner newsletter. Would have been quite a bit of overpaying if I didn't see this for a year.

• hetzner didn’t reply my mail.

• Is it SSD storage?

• I wonder if I should shift to this from https://allsync.com/pricing for data redundancy alone. Allsync doesnt mention how they backup data.

Thanked by 1iqbal
  • ErisaErisa Member

@Donkey said:
    Is it SSD storage?

No. Both storage box and share products use HDD nodes.

They do use ZFS though, so there is some amount of read cache in memory. But that's about it. Generally things will happen at HDD speeds.

Thanked by 1Donkey
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I currently use rsync.net.

@Hetzner_OL

I have tried a few times to move to Hetzner storage boxes, but I run into issues.

1. I can't seem to get it to work with Synology Hyper Backup.
    2. I am not sure If JetBackup now works with it?
    Thanked by 1iqbal
  • AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2022

@JamesF said:

@Hetzner_OL

I have tried a few times to move to Hetzner storage boxes, but I run into issues.

JetBackup does work with StorageBox, yup.

@JamesF said:

@Hetzner_OL

@JamesF - Have you already written a support ticket about these issues/questions? If not, please write one using your Robot account. And it will go straight to the team who is responsible for the Storage Boxes. They should be able give you a definite answer about whether JetBackup will work with our Storage Boxes. If you want some help trouble shooting the issue with Synology Hyper Backup, you could also try asking in our customer forum: https://forum.hetzner.com/ There are a lot of long-time Storage Box users there. Maybe some of them also use Synology Hyper Backup. Most of the speakers there are German, but you can also open a thread in English. (Most of the readers speak decent English.) Just make sure to go into detail about your setup/configuration, about what is not working, and what trouble shooting you have tried so far. - Lea, Hetzner Online GmbH, Marketing

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Hetzner_OL said:

@JamesF said:

@Hetzner_OL

@JamesF - Have you already written a support ticket about these issues/questions? If not, please write one using your Robot account. And it will go straight to the team who is responsible for the Storage Boxes. They should be able give you a definite answer about whether JetBackup will work with our Storage Boxes. If you want some help trouble shooting the issue with Synology Hyper Backup, you could also try asking in our customer forum: https://forum.hetzner.com/ There are a lot of long-time Storage Box users there. Maybe some of them also use Synology Hyper Backup. Most of the speakers there are German, but you can also open a thread in English. (Most of the readers speak decent English.) Just make sure to go into detail about your setup/configuration, about what is not working, and what trouble shooting you have tried so far. - Lea, Hetzner Online GmbH, Marketing

HETZNER FUCKING PAID!

• @Erisa said: Unfortunately the inbetween plans are now missing

yup! a 3TB storage of 9 or 10 euros would be a good plan for my usage. 5TB is more than required.

• @Nekki said:
    HETZNER FUCKING PAID!

WOW - should we expect a deal post though?

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • @caracal said:

@Nekki said:
    HETZNER FUCKING PAID!

WOW - should we expect a deal post though?

Yes, if @Hetzner_OL paid for the provider tag then they should make use of it.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

This is what’s mental, they paid but they never make offers, what’s the fucking point?

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Nekki said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

@JamesF said:

@Hetzner_OL

HETZNER FUCKING PAID!

I really wonder whether they did -- they don't even post offers here

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@angstrom said:

@Nekki said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

@JamesF said:

@Hetzner_OL

HETZNER FUCKING PAID!

I wonder if they’d tell us?

Hey @Hetzner_OL did you pay the invoice for LET or did JB give you a freebie?

@Nekki said:

@angstrom said:

@Nekki said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

@JamesF said:

@Hetzner_OL

HETZNER FUCKING PAID!

Let me put it this way. I could well imagine that both Hetzner and OVH were given a free ride in order to encourage other providers to pay.

Basically, if a small provider sees that both Hetzner and OVH have a Patron Provider tag, then this will motivate them to pay for a Patron Provider tag.

As a psychological tactic, it would make sense.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@angstrom said:

@Nekki said:

@angstrom said:

@Nekki said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

@JamesF said:

@Hetzner_OL

HETZNER FUCKING PAID!

Let me put it this way. I could well imagine that both Hetzner and OVH were given a free ride in order to encourage other providers to pay.

Basically, if a small provider sees that both Hetzner and OVH have a Patron Provider tag, then this will motivate them to pay for a Patron Provider tag.

If Hetzner did pay, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just part of their marketing budget. $200/year is probably a drop in the bucket.

If they didn't pay, it was likely just Biloh giving the tag for free to ultra big hosts like OVH/Hetzner to encourage them to keep using LET.

edited April 2022

@Advin said:

@angstrom said:

@Nekki said:

@angstrom said:

@Nekki said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

@JamesF said:

@Hetzner_OL

HETZNER FUCKING PAID!

If Hetzner did pay, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just part of their marketing budget. $200/year is probably a drop in the bucket.

Of course, it's not the amount per se, but Hetzner don't post offers here, so they could continue answering questions and providing information at irregular intervals without a Patron Provider tag.

I also find it hard to imagine that either of the two Hetzner representatives here who use @Hetzner_OL would feel motivated to go to someone higher up in order to argue for paying $200/year for the "privilege" of answering questions and providing information about Hetzner. (But it's not impossible.)

If they didn't pay, it was likely just Biloh giving the tag for free to ultra big hosts like OVH/Hetzner to encourage them to keep using LET.

This and what I suggested in my post above about motivating others to pay.

Hi LET readers, Before the whole controversy with the provider tags started, we were already considering increasing our presence here. So it makes sense for us to pay the provider tag, despite the problems associated with how it was announced. Right now, we don't have any special sales just for LET readers planned. We are already running our Seasons Special, with free setup on selected AX and EX dedicated root servers. --Katie