Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hidden policy or what? $1 dedicated server from Codero - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hidden policy or what? $1 dedicated server from Codero

Comments

• I mentioned it before, but here it is again.. It was clearly mentioned in the WHT AD:

-No Contracts (If you don't like us and we can't convince you to stay you can leave at anytime however if you leave before the first month of service you have to pay the full price for that month)

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1326245

So I don't think there was any deception on coderos part.. but I think the OP is trying to say that he is having problems with the server and that's why he wants to cancel..

• @Maounique said:
    That is interesting. So what legal basis do you think the ToS has ?

I worded my previous message horribly when stating that.
    I meant in the sense that ToS doesn't mean you are committed to a company or product for a set period of time.

Being that Codero use the word contract to refer to a minimum lease/commitment time.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited December 2013

@OkieDoke said:
    In regards to abuse, again as stated many times in this thread (did you even read it all?), although server provisioning may be automatic now there is still a level of cost involved in bringing a server online and then having to resell it again so soon as a second hand server.

Yes, setup a server cost money. But can you charge a window-shopper visiting fee? That cost retailer money to to serve a window-shopper. Cost of doing business is not a reason to define something as abuse.

• @earl said:
    I mentioned it before, but here it is again.. It was clearly mentioned in the WHT AD:

So I don't think there was any deception on coderos part.. but I think the OP is trying to say that he is having problems with the server and that's why he wants to cancel..

So, it could well be "because you guys did not provide a server that live up to what you promise" and that's not an abuse for sure.

• @dnwk

Can't say for sure on what grounds the OP is requesting a refund, cause there was no mentioned of what he put in the ticket to codero. But from the OP's first comment he did mentioned the server did not really work for him.. so I would guess it has something to do with that

said: (there was no IPKVM or IPMI and it kept crashing when installing some software. (both ssh and connectivity) )

• @dnwk said:
    Yes, setup a server cost money. But can you charge a window-shopper visiting fee? That cost retailer money to to serve a window-shopper. Cost of doing business is not a reason to define something as abuse.

I don't understand where window shoppers come into this. OP committed to to Codero as a customer. Codero have conditions in place that prevent people from using their promotional services for a month for cheap and then cancelling.

I am sure Codero and any other host for that matter, would consider 'doing business' as selling a product or service and not to be defined as selling a product or service to then let them return it again a few days later again at a cost to the provider.

@dnwk said:
    So, it could well be "because you guys did not provide a server that live up to what you promise" and that's not an abuse for sure.

Like I have said before in this thread - Codero are in their rights to say that the server provided was fit for purpose as it worked fine when delivered. The issues only started when the OP started doing things on it. I'm not saying that the OP broke it but just translating the Terms of Service for those who don't read them or understand them.

• emgemg Veteran

I think that the OP got in over his head. He didn't understand or pay attention to the details when he signed up for the server. He thought he could try a big dedicated server for $1, to fulfill his curiosity. English is not his native language, making communication more difficult.

Hopefully Codero will show some compassion and allow him to cancel without penalty. If nothing else, it would make Codero look good to the large number of passive viewers and future customers who are watching this thread. Good PR helps promote future sales.

Thanked by 1kyaky
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I really think he tried to abuse the promo.

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited December 2013

@OkieDoke said:
    Like I have said before in this thread - Codero are in their rights to say that the server provided was fit for purpose as it worked fine when delivered. The issues only started when the OP started doing things on it. I'm not saying that the OP broke it but just translating the Terms of Service for those who don't read them or understand them.

@netomx
    I do buy dedicated servers sometimes from different providers. not just for first month. I pay for them continuously. It's got nothing to do with trying to take advantage from Codero. I normally pay for first month, if I'm happy, I keep it for next month.

But this time, I was going to try the provider who is new to me. I didn't pay attention to the TOS because I had never met a provider with such a TOS that could badly hurt my wallet. meanwhile, I did encounter some problems with the server while 2 days using. This makes me decide not to try the server out any further. Because I needed another dedi urgently, I bought one from versaweb and paid quarterly.

Honestly, I can tell you problems I met while using only takes 50%, the other half made me to decide to terminate the product is I didn't notice this "have to pay" contract in their TOS, otherwise I would take more time to consider if I should place the order.

Now they have a sales talking to me in email. He has never talked about this No.10 policy in the TOS but keep talking about it was only $1 and he suggests me continue to use the product. I told him, I know what is going on and what it's going to happen to my Visa. I wasn't interested in abusing their policy. I asked him to give me an exception to this issue. but it seems he doesn't even know about this policy at all or just try to cover it. I don't know. never talk to me about this real issue straight away.

• emgemg Veteran

I just opened a support chat from Codero's website, communicating with Sean R. I let him know about this thread, and asked for Codero to resolve this issue quickly, in the interests of compassion and good PR for Codero. He said that he would bring our chat and this thread to Marketing's attention.

I suggest that @kyaki do the following:

• Update the ticket, repeating your request to cancel the server without penalty or fee. Explain that you did not fully understand the terms of service, and ask (beg) for some understanding and compassion on Codero's part.

• Send an email to [email protected] with the same request. Include the ticket number and a link to this thread. Ask them to escalate this issue to their management to get a quick resolution.

Thanked by 1kyaky
  • @emg said:
    I think that the OP got in over his head. He didn't understand or pay attention to the details when he signed up for the server. He thought he could try a big dedicated server for $1, to fulfill his curiosity. English is not his native language, making communication more difficult.

Hopefully Codero will show some compassion and allow him to cancel without penalty. If nothing else, it would make Codero look good to the large number of passive viewers and future customers who are watching this thread. Good PR helps promote future sales.

I hope so too. It's a truly unfortunate situation and I hope that this thread acts as a lesson to everybody that you should ALWAYS read the ToS and AUP before you sign up to anything.

Perhaps maybe @Spirit or @mpkossen could close it now as it is going round and round.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited December 2013

I don't know where you live op, but if you live in Germany (or Europe if this is an EU directive) you have the right to cancel any online contract within 14 days. Of course that wouldn't stop Codero from sending a collection agency after you, but they likely wouldn't have legal grounds to enforce anything.

Disclaimer: IANAL, this is just pure speculation.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited December 2013

@OkieDoke said:
    Perhaps maybe Spirit or mpkossen could close it now as it is going round and round.

I advise leaving it open a little longer. In my Codero customer support chat, I suggested that Codero join the discussion here. Even if they do not post directly (which is likely), the OP can tell us how they responded.

I just sent Codero marketing a private email suggesting that they look at the thread and get involved. I also included the full text of my chat session with Sean R at Codero. Now it is up to Codero and the OP.

Thanked by 2kyaky mpkossen
  • That's a good idea actually.

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited December 2013

@OkieDoke said:
    That's a good idea actually.

are you gonna repeat "read ToS and AUP before you sign up" more or ask Codero to follow the policy to charge me for a lession? xD

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited December 2013

@emg said:

I really appreciate your help

• @kyaky said:
    are you gonna repeat "read ToS and AUP before you sign up" more or ask Codero to follow the policy to charge me for a lession? xD

:P like I've said a few times, I'm not making fun of you or bad mouthing you when I say it haha. The problem is that more people are jumping in the topic and giving their opinion without actually reading the whole thread first to understand what is going on.

I actually have a lot of sympathy for you because this is quite a crap situation that you're in mate :(

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • Leaving this open :-)

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited December 2013

@OkieDoke said:
    I actually have a lot of sympathy for you because this is quite a crap situation that you're in mate :(

I admit this time it's in shit. If I didn't open a thread here, I would just do in a harsh way. But that would make me look like I was gonna take advantage from them which I didn't intend to do.

• @mpkossen said:
    Leaving this open :-)

No matter how it goes, LEB has helped me a lot. thank you all

• The thing is if a company is trying to hide something deep in the ToS, that's deceptive advertise.

• VPNVPN Member
    edited December 2013

Not really. I agree its a bit dodgy but perfectly legal unfortunately.

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited December 2013

Sometimes when we see a "too good to be true" offer, we have to be aware of the perfectly legal Kevin Mitnick art of deception.

It's just like the "Unlimited Bandwidth" offer thing.

Take a look at WebHostingTalk.com they have tons of well written attractive sales lines and I bet there are also thousands of complaints against the "too good to be true" offer even after WebHostingTalk.com place the Notice to Consumers:

Please be aware that every offer has limits beyond what is displayed in the thread. You should visit the site advertising and read any Terms of Service or Acceptable Use Policy they have in place. If you can't find answers on how they measure what you're purchasing, ask. If the offer or request doesn't regard some type of hosting, you still need to research beyond what’s printed in the ad.

• Research any provider to know what limits are in place, especially with any offer concerning disk space and/or bandwidth. These are generally defined in the TOS or AUP.
    • Read provider reviews. If you find no reviews, create a thread and ask for others' first-hand experience with the provider.
    • If you're unsure on the exact details of an offer - ask. Simply respond to this thread and ask the provider for clarification.

There are still people ignore the notice and legally victimized.

• I'm kinda curious as to what your problem with the server is, a dedicated server is a dedicated server... It's not like an OpenVZ VPS where you may rely upon some modules the provider may not have enabled, you're free to do anything you'd like on your dedicated server and install anything you need. If you're running the same operating system as your other servers, whatever script you have should work without an issue.

Thanked by 2jar LaChiva
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@nunim said:
    I'm kinda curious as to what your problem with the server is, a dedicated server is a dedicated server... It's not like an OpenVZ VPS where you may rely upon some modules the provider may not have enabled, you're free to do anything you'd like on your dedicated server and install anything you need. If you're running the same operating system as your other servers, whatever script you have should work without an issue.

You can always tell the Linux admins by this. "Yes I hear your policy complaint but what was the error?"

Priorities. First, fix Linux, then talk refund ;)

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited December 2013

@nunim said:
    I'm kinda curious as to what your problem with the server is, a dedicated server is a dedicated server... It's not like an OpenVZ VPS where you may rely upon some modules the provider may not have enabled, you're free to do anything you'd like on your dedicated server and install anything you need. If you're running the same operating system as your other servers, whatever script you have should work without an issue.

timeframe is also the problem. I couldn't wait for more than 2 days to get problem to be looked into. so I thought it would be easier to talk about cancellation. not refund. I don't want that $1. I admit I didn't pay attention to the policy. $50 for reinstallation and $5 for each reboot were not planned in my budget.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • kyaky said: $50 for reinstallation and $5 for each reboot were not planned in my budget.

That, what makes me reluctant to have a dedi for a non money generating project :)

• @kyaky said:

$5 for each reboot were not planned in my budget.

That can get kinda pricey if you're having a problem with your server!

• Get a large-ish box somewhere and slice it up into vms for every project.

It's what I do, works great.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @kyaky It seems that you intend to do a chargeback in case Codero does charge your card. I would strongly advice against going that route. Your dispute with Codero is now a Civil law dispute: you do not want to pay for renewal and Codero points at their TOS. You have a few options:

• Find a way to not pay, They may want to chase you up with a debt collection agency and ultimately it could end up in court.
    • Pay but challenge the payment with the help of a lawyer
    • Reach an understanding with Codero your both happy with.

These are your options if you like to settle this based on Civil Law.
    A Chargeback however, would push this dispute from Civil Law to Criminal Law. You commit fraud and in such cases, most providers will rapport it to law enforcement agencie and your bank. That scenario could potentially end up very bad for you, with heavy fines&Penalties and depending on the country you live in, even imprisonment.
    It will also affect your credit rating.

This discussion has been closed.