Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to hire in web hosting industry?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to hire in web hosting industry?

rEDrED Member

Hi,

I am looking to hire someone who can handle all the backend things related to managing VPSes.

I deal with around 15-20 VPSes per month from diff providers and its hard for me to manually keep track of them, install a domain on it and set up DNS etc.

I am looking to hire someone locally but I am not sure what is the best post/title I should look for? I asked my friend and he said network admin but I am not very sure when I looked up what a network admin does.

His/Her job would be to:

1.Buy VPS on my behalf.
2.Get the login detail of each vps.
3.Configure DNS.
4.Install Centos 7.
5.Manage payment cycles.
6.Deal with webhost support incase any issue arise with the server.
7.Make sure all VPSes are running.

Any help would be appreciated/

Thanks

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Hey there,
    If hiring locally won't go according to your plans, I'm up for that job.

Job title: Entry IT job.
    Don't specify anything and only add those points in your job description

Thanked by 2yoursunny devp
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Doesn't look like a network admin per say, something more generic like what scorpion said but maybe providers with experience can chime in.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

If you are looking for low end workers, you are at the right place.

Hire losers from LET.

• @risharde said:
    Doesn't look like a network admin per say, something more generic like what scorpion said but maybe providers with experience can chime in.

hmm will a generic guy be able to solve if there is some issue with the vps and if not he must be able to communicate with the hosting support properly to solve it. So I think some basic linux commands also might be needed to use in cmd line.

• @deank said:

Hire losers from LET.

lololol. Looking to hire remote only.

Losers on LET are remote hands only.

They don't have the sunlight resistance to even go outside, let alone have the courage. They ain't vampires though.

Thanked by 1devp
  • typical $7. Count me in.

@deank said:
    Losers on LET are remote hands only.

They don't have the sunlight resistance to even go outside, let alone have the courage. They ain't vampires though.

• 20 servers is not much. Typical corp drone handles around 100-200 fleet. But if diff configs than yea, pita.

Look for guys from India, Malaysia, Nigeria. Those are hyper cheap and relatively good in tech.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Job title: idler assistant.
    Base pay: $7 per server per month.
    Bonus pay: stay up late to acquire a flash deal $69/deal.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited February 2022

Thanked by 1lentro
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2022

It doesn't sound like you'll be paying enough for it to be someone's job. Better solution is probably to go down the infrastructure as code route. You can handle your new cattle automatically that way.

Throw in nodeping for uptime monitoring and its job done.

Thanked by 2yoursunny bulbasaur
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@rED said:

@deank said:

Hire losers from LET.

So remote or local?

• There is a difference between knowing some Linux commands, and technical support for a server.

Knowing some Linux commands is an easy way to wipe a drive.

You could get an intern, entry level. Or you could get someone experienced with a FT job and just let them do hourly work. Just be careful, if they have all your passwords and go rogue...

Thanked by 2yoursunny devp
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2022

May be you can use ansible to do simple automation in deploying new machine. I am also available to take take up the task, have managed plenty of servers.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

@rED said:
    Hi,

I am looking to hire someone who can handle all the backend things related to managing VPSes.

I deal with around 15-20 VPSes per month from diff providers and its hard for me to manually keep track of them, install a domain on it and set up DNS etc.

I am looking to hire someone locally but I am not sure what is the best post/title I should look for? I asked my friend and he said network admin but I am not very sure when I looked up what a network admin does.

His/Her job would be to:

1.Buy VPS on my behalf.
    2.Get the login detail of each vps.
    3.Configure DNS.
    4.Install Centos 7.
    5.Manage payment cycles.
    6.Deal with webhost support incase any issue arise with the server.
    7.Make sure all VPSes are running.

Any help would be appreciated/

Thanks

Can't it be remote?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@deank said:

Hire losers from LET.

@skorupion said:
    So remote or local?

So is @skorupion a loser?

• I believe he said remote.

Realistically, it's not worth it for most people unless he's willing to pay like a decent wage. His requested responsibilities are basically that of a system administrator with some purchasing power. He wants:

• Server purchasing
    • Server configuration
    • Server troubleshooting and management (basically, you're expected to be on call)

The pay is probably (unless information is given otherwise, because after all, it's LET):

• 🥜

There's companies where you can outsource these problems for about 200+ dollars a month. I'd suggest using them. Or don't deal with the entire LET server market and hire a tech consulting company to handle all of this for like 500 dollars a month (should include the server costs) where they spread the cost of hiring staff and people on call through multiple contracts like this.

Thanked by 1devp

@yoursunny said:
    So is @skorupion a loser?

Aye. And so are you.

I am also a loser. No one around here is a winner for sure.

• Space_HostingSpace_Hosting Member, Host Rep

@HalfEatenPie said:
    I believe he said remote.

Realistically, it's not worth it for most people unless he's willing to pay like a decent wage. His requested responsibilities are basically that of a system administrator with some purchasing power. He wants:

• Server purchasing
    • Server configuration
    • Server troubleshooting and management (basically, you're expected to be on call)

The pay is probably (unless information is given otherwise, because after all, it's LET):

• 🥜

There's companies where you can outsource these problems for about 200+ dollars a month. I'd suggest using them. Or don't deal with the entire LET server market and hire a tech consulting company to handle all of this for like 500 dollars a month (should include the server costs) where they spread the cost of hiring staff and people on call through multiple contracts like this.

I fully agree with HalfEatenPie the best option would be to contact a consultancy company.

Alternatively, you could purchase all your servers from the same company (if this is possible) and configure your account for an automatic renewal of your services and request a "managed" solution. In this way, you will have the staff of the hosting company that would directly take care of monitoring your servers.

• @HalfEatenPie

it's not worth it for most people unless he's willing to pay like a decent wage.

I will never consider even it is well pay. In addition to salary, I care more about the future and stability.

• @deank said: No one around here is a winner for sure.

Charlie Sheen is bi-winning all the time.

Thanked by 1idleparty
  • @elliotc said:
    @HalfEatenPie

it's not worth it for most people unless he's willing to pay like a decent wage.

I will never consider even it is well pay. In addition to salary, I care more about the future and stability.

You do you. This is why we have an open market. Maybe someone has a ton of flexibility and are willing to take on those responsibilities for peanuts if it's a decent salary (either full or even partial).

I mean (with all due respect) working for someone who's chasing every deal to save that 1 dollar is probably not the same person who is willing to pay you a decent amount for someone to handle it. So just like you, this is something I wouldn't consider. But maybe there's someone who this makes sense for.

@Space_Hosting said:

@HalfEatenPie said:
    I believe he said remote.

• Server purchasing
    • Server configuration

• 🥜

I fully agree with HalfEatenPie the best option would be to contact a consultancy company.

Alternatively, you could purchase all your servers from the same company (if this is possible) and configure your account for an automatic renewal of your services and request a "managed" solution. In this way, you will have the staff of the hosting company that would directly take care of monitoring your servers.

Yep. There are literally companies that do this and you just pay them a set amount every month. For OP, google "Managed Hosting".

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited February 2022

@rED I'm your guy.
    I'm currently running 55 vps.
    What difference is an extra 15 or 20 more.

• Wasn't there a couple of projects started over the years for tracking VPS' and domains?

• @rED said: 1.Buy VPS on my behalf.

5.Manage payment cycles.

Does this mean, the person would pay first and you reimburse them later? Hard to find someone who will put up money for you.. On the other hand, if you are handing someone money upfront, I believe it would be like paying them x amount for each server, you could easily do it directly with the provider or like a Paypal subscription. Or what is the guarantee that someone doesn't run away with your funds.. you end up losing your server & the funds.

• @skorupion said:

@rED said:

@deank said:

Hire losers from LET.

So remote or local?

fuck, I am sorry. I meant LOCAL.

My bad.

• @abytecurious said:

@rED said: 1.Buy VPS on my behalf.

5.Manage payment cycles.

Does this mean, the person would pay first and you reimburse them later? Hard to find someone who will put up money for you.. On the other hand, if you are handing someone money upfront, I believe it would be like paying them x amount for each server, you could easily do it directly with the provider or like a Paypal subscription. Or what is the guarantee that someone doesn't run away with your funds.. you end up losing your server & the funds.

Nope, he will be paying from my paypal, crypto etc online account. He only has to manage the correct cycle for each host.

• @HalfEatenPie said: Realistically, it's not worth it for most people unless he's willing to pay like a decent wage.

Yes looking to hire locally only. Sorry for confusion.
    Yes ofc I will pay whatever is the industry standard is here in my city +10%.

I'm from 3rd world country so its not very expensive I think.

The only issue was I didn't know what post/title to look for.

Thanks for the replies. This thread definitely helped :)

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

You need a SysAdmin/manager guy

Thanked by 1rED
  • @rED said: Nope, he will be paying from my paypal, crypto etc online account. He only has to manage the correct cycle for each host.

That requires you to trust that person really well. I suggest you find someone who is atleast a known person to you or your friends/colleagues.