Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frantech slab panic buying - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Frantech slab panic buying

2»

Comments

• Brand loyalty.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@jason5545 said:
    Every time hunting for a slab at Frantech is very difficult and frustrating, I tried to refresh the page at fab 1st all day, and finally, the notify script to tell me it was been restocked after I clicked the link, was out of stock again. I just feel like everyone is panicking buying all the slabs. Come on, give newcomers some chances.
    Hope I have better luck next time.🤣

The demand is real, and I have to assume the system they implement works great enough for that demand to keep coming. I suspect after being a past customer of Frantech that their business model is quality vs quantity - their resources have always been scarce which also I assume is a good business plan since they don't lose out on wasted hardware and resources. Keeping it lean and profitable and thus sustainable which is why they are still around? But I get what you are saying and I see how this can be frustrating also one cannot plan ahead for your customers if you don't know or think the resources will be available.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

A seemingly infinite supply of on demand resources would be beautiful and that's really where the huge clouds do it best, they just have deeper pockets and better vendor relationships.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • Unfortunately the difficulty of getting slabs precludes it from being used as easily expandable storage :(!

• @Weblogics said:

@HalfEatenPie listed very good reasons to use BuyVM and another good reason; you do not have come on here to beg and grovel to "double my bandwidth."

This is a big thing for me actually. It's why I actually actively avoid RackNerds and probably won't be purchasing from them anytime soon. I just don't enjoy those marketing methods and it looks terrible for me. Again, not knocking on RackNerds and obviously I'm not a target individual for them (all due respect and the best in success for them as well). Besides for the tongue-in-cheek thing MannDude did the other day (which I find humorous), I just hate that entire thread bumping circlejerk.

But hey, it works for them and I'm fine with just scrolling over it and ignoring it on my own end. Good for them.

Fran just has some great added-on-value to the base VPS package that (so far) many providers have NOT automated or built into their system to make it a reality at an affordable level. If you're looking for the cheapest VPS, you can probably find another provider who can get it to you for like 2 dollars. If you want added value that you can't really find elsewhere, then Fran's shop is pretty great.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Those who know quality never eats the whole pie.

Said by some idiot.

• For such egregious behavior, I propose to dismiss @Francisco from the post of CEO and deprive him of his Canadian citizenship.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@VayVayKa said:
    For such egregious behavior, I propose to dismiss @Francisco from the post of CEO and deprive him of his Canadian citizenship.

So I don't have to pay anyone taxes now? Sweet!

Slabs are big buys and chew up a lot of power/space, so it's a balancing act.

Given some recent news we may pack up another crate for LUX in the coming weeks/months.

Francisco

• There are a few for you right now. hurry up :)

• @perspective said:
    There are a few for you right now. hurry up :)

Exactly.

Right now, LV, Miami and NY all have slabs available.

• @Weblogics said:

@perspective said:
    There are a few for you right now. hurry up :)

Exactly.

Right now, LV, Miami and NY all have slabs available.

@Francisco trolled him so subtly, the guy obviously wanted Luxembourg;)

• @Francisco said:

@VayVayKa said:
    For such egregious behavior, I propose to dismiss @Francisco from the post of CEO and deprive him of his Canadian citizenship.

Given some recent news we may pack up another crate for LUX in the coming weeks/months.

Francisco

is there a chance to get a priority slab as a customer?

• @hyperblast said:

You have to be quick. I was able to snag a Lux slab this morning.

• @hyperblast said:

@Francisco said:

@VayVayKa said:

Francisco

What the hell is a priority slab.

You just get a slab. They usually focus on having stock during business hours last I recall. Just pick one up if it's in stock. Or message sales

@HalfEatenPie said: You just get a slab. They usually focus on having stock during business hours last I recall. Just pick one up if it's in stock. Or message sales

Basically there's been chatter about keeping reserved stock for active customers.

Its been an idea i've floated before and maybe it'll happen.

Francisco

• deankdeank Member, Troll

That sucks. It's hard to become a customer in the first place.

Frantech empire is evil. You will be sued, not by me but by some PMSing guy.

• try now!

• @Neoon said: Build your own SLAB cluster, with blackjack and hookers.

interesting.

• @Francisco said: we may pack up another crate

I had to read this a few times to realise you said "crate" and not "crane"

edited February 2022

@Daniel15 said:

@Francisco said: we may pack up another crate

I had to read this a few times to realise you said "crate" and not "crane"

Why not both?

EDIT - Better meme.

Francisco

• I’ll admit I’m idling a couple of slabs simply because if I cancel them and do need them in the future I may struggle to get them back

• @Francisco said:

At the rate they are gobbled up, it seems you may have enough demand to keep increasing capacity -- assuming they are profitable to build and operate.

But, as you mention, I imagine it takes some decent investment to buy those nodes, and probably you're being conservative (and sensible) about it. I can respect that.

@aj_potc said: But, as you mention, I imagine it takes some decent investment to buy those nodes, and probably you're being conservative (and sensible) about it. I can respect that.

A full slab node is $9k or so, depending on what deals I find, assuming I use brand new drives.

The 'good' used drives (read: have a year or 2 of use on them) are still mostly gobbled up so you're just left with the ones that are > 5 years old, refirbs, or full of dead sectors.

I'd like to send another 500 - 600TB to LUX in the coming few months, we'll see what happens.

Francisco

Thanked by 2dedicados VayVayKa
  • @Francisco said:
    A full slab node is $9k or so, depending on what deals I find, assuming I use brand new drives.

Are you able to get decent prices through wholesale channels? I've read elsewhere that wholesale drive prices were slightly less affected by Chia than prices in retail channels. But no clue if that's still true or what's happening in that space.

@aj_potc said: Are you able to get decent prices through wholesale channels? I've read elsewhere that wholesale drive prices were slightly less affected by Chia than prices in retail channels. But no clue if that's still true or what's happening in that space.

Pretty sure Chia's dead and no ones pushing it with their own metal at this point. All of the big whales are abusing Mega & Google Drive. I know multiple users with many PB's on google drive, just for plots.

Maybe I could shave off a few bucks but usually I can barter with vendors some and get basically passthrough costs, especially when we pay in cash.

There's no real reason for prices to come back down. Inflation and overall material costs are through the roof, massive shortages everywhere, etc.

Francisco

Thanked by 2aj_potc VayVayKa
  • @Francisco said:

@HalfEatenPie said: You just get a slab. They usually focus on having stock during business hours last I recall. Just pick one up if it's in stock. Or message sales

Basically there's been chatter about keeping reserved stock for active customers.

Its been an idea i've floated before and maybe it'll happen.

Francisco

ahh gotcha was not aware that was an idea. Then my apologies to @hyperblast for being incorrect.

Would be nice to have but then again, eh.

• @HalfEatenPie said: but I think if I need another server I'll continue to grow my services with Fran as it's just something I know will be there

This is not true, if you need more servers, you will suddenly have to play BF game to get any. Their performance is stable though.

• @cadddr said:

@HalfEatenPie said: but I think if I need another server I'll continue to grow my services with Fran as it's just something I know will be there

This is not true, if you need more servers, you will suddenly have to play BF game to get any. Their performance is stable though.

Excuse me? What BF game.

Are you talking about having services in stock? That's line was about something totally different than dealing with/finding stocks on the site. If stocks aren't available then I'll simply move down on my list of providers I use/approve of.