Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

fiberia.io dropping IPv4 - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

fiberia.io dropping IPv4

13»

Comments

• edited February 2022

@desperand
    I'm not a network expert, but
    1. "Not only websites, but some softwares are IPv6 incompatible as well."
    This just reminded me of some open source games, which could have been played in multi-player mode flawlessly online.
    But their Client/Server mode is bounded to public IPv4, which was quite available 10 or 15 years ago in my country but quickly deprived of 5 or 6 years ago.

1. "IPv6 CIDR notation is humanly write only." (hardly readable)
      Well, I'm not an expert, but I've wondering for years why IPv6 is 128 bits instead of 64 bits.
      I mean MAC has an address space of 48 bits, and 64 bits should be sufficient for everyone. Why bother to assign an address to a gain of sand?

And why don't use 128-system to represent the binary address?
    I mean in that case, 2001:470:20::2 for instance, would be ~+-_*`~, isn't it lovely?

Maybe I should have consulted my teacher, but I doubt it.

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • Pointless

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • Why bother to assign an address to a gain of sand?

It would even be somewhat reasonable if there was one IP per grain. But each grain could get billions and we'd still have many many more available. It's ridiculous

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2022

but but. What if every atom needs its own IP?

there are only 3.4 x 10^38 IPv6 but 10^78 atoms in the universe. I think we need more IPs

No? Okay let's forget about it and make /64 the standard allocation instead of having a 64 bit IP system

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

@RickBakkr said:
    I wonder how many actually went with Fiberia, given they are in a somewhat popular DC in The Netherlands...

If any, to my neighbours in Dronten: refuge offers, here we come! To those hurt: if you are in immediate need of the resources in the same DC with IPv4, please DM and I'll match your current contract for you (given reasonable) :-)

The world needs more people like this! Good one Rick!

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited February 2022

Definitely too soon to completely remove IPv4... At least use NAT for outbound connections.

@ask_seek_knock said: Well, I'm not an expert, but I've wondering for years why IPv6 is 128 bits instead of 64 bits.

I think it's to ensure there's enough addresses for everything, ever. Having a /64 allocation is useful because each device on the network can auto-configure its own public IPv6 address without having to manually configure it on each device or use a DHCP server.

@ask_seek_knock said: And why don't use 128-system to represent the binary address?
    I mean in that case, 2001:470:20::2 for instance, would be ~+-_*`~, isn't it lovely?

That's less readable :tongue:

In any case, why are people typing IP addresses so often that this is an issue? DNS exists for a reason. The only time I use the IPs of my servers is before I've configured the DNS. If you really don't want to use DNS for some reason then deploy a /etc/hosts file across all your clients.

• @yoursunny said:

@ask_seek_knock said:
    Why don't offer NAT IPv4, even without port mapping, since many sites are not fully IPv6 compatible.
    Hundreds, if not thousands of VMs could share one IPv4.

Outbound NAT IPv4 = abuse
    Inbound NAT IPv4 = OK but unnecessary

I tried installing dotnet on an ipv6 only VM, guess what, it failed because MS repo(packages.microsoft.com) has no v6. 🤣

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@xaoc said:

@yoursunny said:

@ask_seek_knock said:
    Why don't offer NAT IPv4, even without port mapping, since many sites are not fully IPv6 compatible.

I tried installing dotnet on an ipv6 only VM, guess what, it failed because MS repo(packages.microsoft.com) has no v6. 🤣

For occasional outbound IPv4 connection (software updates), proxy through your other dual-stack server.
    https://yoursunny.com/t/2020/EUserv-IPv4/

No need to incur cost for IPv4 on every server if it's not running regular traffic.
    Backup storage server and backend database server generally do not need IPv4; frontend user-facing server can have IPv4.

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • @yoursunny said:

@xaoc said:

@yoursunny said:

@ask_seek_knock said:

For occasional outbound IPv4 connection (software updates), proxy through your other dual-stack server.
    https://yoursunny.com/t/2020/EUserv-IPv4/

No need to incur cost for IPv4 on every server if it's not running regular traffic.
    Backup storage server and backend database server generally do not need IPv4; frontend user-facing server can have IPv4.

Oh, I don't see me using this in the near future but thanks for sharing, it might come in handy someday. xD

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • @Daniel15 said: Having a /64 allocation is useful because each device on the network can auto-configure its own public IPv6 address without having to manually configure it on each device or use a DHCP server.

Very reasonable, theoretically. However I'm wondering if there is any exception realistically.
    But before any formal discussion or query, I need to read some materials about IPv6.
    Thank you for explaining.

As for the 128-system representation, that's a serious joke, which is a joke.
    Actually there are at most 122 items when I counted the number of all alphabets + numbers + common symbols on an English keyboard.

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • They should delete the A record for their customer portal too. Only IPV6 AAAA goodness allowed here.

• @Daniel15 said:
    Definitely too soon to completely remove IPv4... At least use NAT for outbound connections.

@ask_seek_knock said: Well, I'm not an expert, but I've wondering for years why IPv6 is 128 bits instead of 64 bits.

I think it's to ensure there's enough addresses for everything, ever. Having a /64 allocation is useful because each device on the network can auto-configure its own public IPv6 address without having to manually configure it on each device or use a DHCP server.

Not so much to ensure everything gets an IP (that happens at a much lower number). It's for network planning. Towns and cities grow by thousands and millions over a century. This is IP protocol designed to be long term and not shit the bed in 30 years.

Seriously, all these people who rant about all the IP's and atoms in the world are NOT Network Engineers and likely have very little to no networking experience beyond their NAT router at home.

@ask_seek_knock said: And why don't use 128-system to represent the binary address?

That's less readable :tongue:

In any case, why are people typing IP addresses so often that this is an issue? DNS exists for a reason. The only time I use the IPs of my servers is before I've configured the DNS. If you really don't want to use DNS for some reason then deploy a /etc/hosts file across all your clients.

It also looks really bad when people whine about the length as well. They look really, really basic compared to regular people that make writing an IPv6 IP look like kindergarten shit.

And yes, DNS makes this a non-issue for anyone who isn't completely shit at their job.

• @kheng86 said:
    Not surprised coming from a Host who had a change of "brand" name just to kill of existing deals

What was their previous brand? The same owner, just new name?

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • @Offshore_Solutions said:

@kheng86 said:
    Not surprised coming from a Host who had a change of "brand" name just to kill of existing deals

What was their previous brand? The same owner, just new name?

Customer VPSes were under the "ViridWeb" brand, but they got all transferred to Fiberia and all old plans, including offers, were cancelled since.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@ezeth said:
    Just go with NAT. 65k ports per IP. You can probably put all VMs on the single IP your datacenter gave you

NAT is nice.
    NAT is a feature like VPN
    NAT is private

Go with NAT, you need a VPN, I mean NAT today!

Protect your VPS with NAT

And then one of the NAT customer decided to spam or host illegal stuff, DC receives complaint, IP null-routed or similar and poof .. all 65K customer's VM over that 1 IP are down.

Thanked by 2BlaZe pan_ia0_net
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited February 2022

@Saahib said:

@ezeth said:
    Just go with NAT. 65k ports per IP. You can probably put all VMs on the single IP your datacenter gave you

NAT is nice.
    NAT is a feature like VPN
    NAT is private

Go with NAT, you need a VPN, I mean NAT today!

Protect your VPS with NAT

And then one of the NAT customer decided to spam or host illegal stuff, DC receives complaint, IP null-routed or similar and poof .. all 65K customer's VM over that 1 IP are down.

@FlorinMarian should be able to give some professional insight on that.

• fantastic job!

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • We are looking to do the same at our hosting company, only ipv6 for the lowest priced servers(vps). But also add carrier grade nat to get ipv4 working, with option to rent ipv4 address if it's needed.

• @ServerCityAS said:
    We are looking to do the same at our hosting company, only ipv6 for the lowest priced servers(vps). But also add carrier grade nat to get ipv4 working, with option to rent ipv4 address if it's needed.

Go for it, more and more providers are doing it already.