Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to 100% Uptime for 1 static HTML website (without cloudflare)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to 100% Uptime for 1 static HTML website (without cloudflare)

nqservicesnqservices Member
edited January 2022 in General

Hi,

I need a solution to have 100% uptime for 1 static HTML website. I have look into DNS options like FailoverDNS and GeoDNS from Cloudns.net and dnsmadeeasy.com, but both seem to have the issue of DNS propagation (even if it’s a small time).

Also look into having 2 Cloud Servers (one in Germany and other in Finland) from Hetzner connected to a Hetzner Load Balancer. But the 1 single load balancer is still 1 single point of failure.

P.S: Using Cloudflare always uptime feature is out of option for this project.

Any ideas or suggestions? I know 100% real uptime Is very hard to achieve. But the closest solution to that is what I’m looking for.

Thanks!

Comments

• Upload your file to cdn? Or cloud flare pages? Or github pages? Or Netfliy?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2022

Doesn't exist. May take creative thinking to realize why. Just because Cloudflare keeps a single IP alive better than anyone doesn't mean anyone can without chance of failure. Even two load balancers is two A records and one or both can go down.

But yeah that. Two load balancers, two A records, to end points behind them. Can't do better than that.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, if you wanna go for 100%, you should have no single point of failure in your setup plus make it as simple as possible.

Having 2 instances in the same Network and using a single DNS provider, does not sound like HA to me.

DNS can fail.
    Hetzners network can fail.

Even if you got 2 different locations, look what did happen when Facebook or OVH fucked up with their routing.

Get 2 seperate DNS servers/provider, add them all, so you got 4, in total.
    Add the same records.

Get at least 2 different shared hosting accounts or virtual servers or cdn's where you can upload shit, does not matter.

Point 2x AAAA and/or A records to the file you want.

Its very unlikely that booth of them will fail.

• @Neoon said:
    Well, if you wanna go for 100%, you should have no single point of failure in your setup plus make it as simple as possible.

Having 2 instances in the same Network and using a single DNS provider, does not sound like HA to me.

DNS can fail.

Even if you got 2 different locations, look what did happen when Facebook or OVH fucked up with their routing.

Add the same records.

Get at least 2 different shared hosting accounts or virtual servers or cdn's where you can upload shit, does not matter.

Ok. So, In that scenario, I will have to A records pointing each one to a different server hosting my status html website.In that case if 1 server is down, will the client always go/be directed to the online server? Or there is a chance of client be routed to the offline server IP / A record?

Thanks

edited January 2022

@nqservices said:

@Neoon said:

DNS can fail.

Add the same records.

Ok. So, In that scenario, I will have to A records pointing each one to a different server hosting my status html website.In that case if 1 server is down, will the client always go/be directed to the online server? Or there is a chance of client be routed to the offline server IP / A record?

Thanks

Any recent browser is trying booth IP's additionally if the dns providers support monitoring you can remove the record if its dead.

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

In my book, 0% uptime can be translated as to 100% uptime.

So, do that. Much easier.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited January 2022

@nqservices said: I need a solution to have 100% uptime for 1 static HTML website.

Just use Cloudflare Pages https://pages.cloudflare.com/

https://developers.cloudflare.com/pages/framework-guides/deploy-anything

• My Cloudflare Pages project went offline on my monitor a month or so ago.. unsurprisingly it was because the entire Cloudflare network was unresponsive. I don't mind but I found it amusing. Even big players have that happen.

Which brings to mind the important distinction, how critical is this 100% uptime to you?

Is it something that must never go below 100 at any cost whatsoever? If that's the case then look into the fancy HA techniques that members here would be more than happy to help you with. Don't ever rely on a single service if you want that.

Or is it something more casual where you don't want random dropouts every month but are fine with it going down in the case of a large outage? If that's the case then just deploy it to any static hosting service like CF Pages or GitHub Pages. You'll hit 100% almost all months with occasional dip to 99% when funky shit happens to the internet.

Up to you.

• lol the root nameservers for whatever TLD your using could go offline and there is absolutely nothing you could do about it

100 percent uptime is impossible.

• ThundasThundas Member
    edited January 2022

Get cloudflare pro, cache it using rules, get 3 additional servers across the continent to take advantage of cloudflare's Zero-Downtime Failover, there is that slim chance that all your servers can be down at the same time, but its like winning a lottery at this point.

How does it work? If a request to your origin fails, and Cloudflare has another record for your origin server, we’ll just try another origin within the same HTTP request. The alternate record could be either an A/AAAA record configured via Cloudflare DNS, or another origin server in the same Load Balancing pool.

Consider an website, example.com, that has web servers at two different IP addresses: 203.0.113.1 and 203.0.113.2. Before Zero-Downtime Failover, if 203.0.113.1 becomes unavailable, Cloudflare would attempt to connect, fail, and ultimately serve an error page to the user. With Zero-Downtime Failover, if 203.0.113.1 cannot be reached, then Cloudflare’s proxy will seamlessly attempt to connect to 203.0.113.2. If the second server can respond, then Cloudflare can avert serving an error to example.com’s user.

• I remember, there was possibility to host your static pages on gdrive. Is it still possible? In that case, I would say, uptime would be at least 1% better than whatever you will set up :) There are people with more experience and resources working... :D

• xTomxTom Member, Patron Provider

@ehhthing said:
    lol the root nameservers for whatever TLD your using could go offline and there is absolutely nothing you could do about it

100 percent uptime is impossible.

Yes, there's no 100% uptime on earth.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Technically human is 100% uptime, until it becomes 0%

• @FAT32 said:
    Technically human is 100% uptime, until it becomes 0%

Stay awake forever?

Thanked by 1Logano
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited January 2022

Cheapest solution would be to use at least two different DNS providers (vultr & HE for example) and setup a DNS round robin to send traffic across two (or more) servers. If one goes down browsers will try the other IP. If you choose two high quality hosts (but several 5$/y services would work as well) you'll be fine. In the unlikely event that a DNS provider goes down, the second one will still be up, in the unlikely event that a good-quality-host goes down, the second one will still serve your pages.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • i thought humanity is the devil.

• Easydns.com has some health check and failover features to change DNS to a backup site.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@ehhthing said:
    lol the root nameservers for whatever TLD your using could go offline and there is absolutely nothing you could do about it

You need two domains under different TLDs, to mitigate the risk of domain registrar downtime.
    Your readers should be made aware of both domains.

For each domain, separately:

• You need two nameservers. Nothing fancy on the nameserver setup.
    • You need your own IP address space and AS number.
    • You need to announce the same IP address space in two different locations.
    • Obviously, you need two web servers.
    • Put the BGP speaker in the web server. If the web server is down, withdraw BGP routes.
    Thanked by 1FrankZ

@yoursunny said:

@ehhthing said:

You need two domains under different TLDs, to mitigate the risk of domain registrar downtime.

• Put the BGP speaker in the web server. If the web server is down, withdraw BGP routes.

One ASN and same Subnet, single point of pizdec.

• @yoursunny said:

@ehhthing said:

Make sure both nameservers are on different continents (no, Antartica wont work because global warming). You can mitigate obvious issues like a nuclear strike, or yellowstone exploding etc.

Best to have a nameserver on mars too of course!

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@ehhthing said:

@yoursunny said:

@ehhthing said:

Make sure both nameservers are on different continents (no, Antartica wont work because global warming). You can mitigate obvious issues like a nuclear strike, or yellowstone exploding etc.

Best to have a nameserver on mars too of course!

Imagine your DC gets flooded and you put the genset in the basement, what a pity.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited January 2022

@yoursunny said:

@ehhthing said:

Even if I did all this, I would fat finger something along the way and only have 99.999% uptime. /j :sunglasses:

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Try https://vercel.com free plan.
    You should have 99.9% uptime.

I have few reactjs / nextjs projects hosted there. Quite stable and its free.

Other similar free alternatives are:
    1) DigitalOcean app platform.
    2) Netlify
    3) https://pages.cloudflare.com/

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • @MrEd said:
    I remember, there was possibility to host your static pages on gdrive. Is it still possible? In that case, I would say, uptime would be at least 1% better than whatever you will set up :) There are people with more experience and resources working... :D

In that case might as well use blogger.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited January 2022

PM details on your project, I might be willing to set you up with free service with low propagation ttl of 120s but obviously you need to be running something legal but I could potentially give you an even lower ttl in case you need to change ips even quicker. My update system works in real-time so all servers get updated near instantaneously. You of course would need at least 2 servers, each of which does a check to make sure the dns record is pointing to the right server. Onddns does not provide such checks.

• nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited January 2022

Thanks a lot all for the advices and suggestions. At this point and for now, I guess will use a Cloud VPS from a relliable host, like Linode (their Germany datacenter) a small 5€/month plan. Also heard good things about eurovps.com. Their price starts at 10€/month

Will think more about a HA solution it in the future. For now I think that with Linode or eurovps.com I will have a good chance of getting at least "true" 99.99% uptime/year for 1 static HTML site.

Any advice on a more reliable host than Linode/EuroVPS? In theory of course. Also looked at Clouvider HA Cloud Servers, but they cost start at around 15€/month. Too expensive, when comparing with Linode.

• prepaid-hoster.de/ deinserverhost.de/ signaltransmitter.de/ first-root.de/ fastpipe.io
    You can get there vps/kvm or webhosting

for webhosting itself, lima-city.de

Thanked by 1sthosting
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@nqservices said:
    Thanks a lot all for the advices and suggestions. At this point and for now, I guess will use a Cloud VPS from a relliable host, like Linode (their Germany datacenter) a small 5€/month plan. Also heard good things about eurovps.com. Their price starts at 10€/month

Will think more about a HA solution it in the future. For now I think that with Linode or eurovps.com I will have a good chance of getting at least "true" 99.99% uptime/year for 1 static HTML site.

Any advice on a more reliable host than Linode/EuroVPS? In theory of course. Also looked at Clouvider HA Cloud Servers, but they cost start at around 15€/month. Too expensive, when comparing with Linode.

Try upcloud
    https://upcloud.com/pricing/#cloud-servers

Thanked by 1UpCloud
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

and eventually you get to the point you need to provide dual dedicated links to end user, dual dedicated dedicated devices to end user, duel dedicated end users and the list goes on and on and on and on....

Even players like Amazon, Facebook and Google cannot do this in reality.

Choose how many zeroes you got on your budget, and target maximum reliability you can at that budget. Every additional 9 on the uptime costs exponentially more, then you realize it's impossible to get enough 9s to get to a ONE and all zeroes without rounding up ...

• @PulsedMedia said:
    and eventually you get to the point you need to provide dual dedicated links to end user, dual dedicated dedicated devices to end user, duel dedicated end users and the list goes on and on and on and on....

Even players like Amazon, Facebook and Google cannot do this in reality.

Choose how many zeroes you got on your budget, and target maximum reliability you can at that budget. Every additional 9 on the uptime costs exponentially more, then you realize it's impossible to get enough 9s to get to a ONE and all zeroes without rounding up ...

True...