Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Unmetered with a Powerful CPU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Unmetered with a Powerful CPU

I'm looking for pure CPU power, I have seen Datapacket but I'm not sure, what I need is 14000+ passmark scores CPU (or about 6000+ geekbench 5) on the cheap, core speed does matter so higher frequency CPUs are preferred, other specs:
1GB (ideally more) RAM
60GB
1gbps (500mbps minimum) unmetered/very high limit (like 80TB)
DDOS and location doesn't matter at all

This for a Plex setup, my budget is around $8 (can go slightly higher if needed), I know budget is a bit low but I'm giving it a shot, any offers (even if above my budget)?

Comments

• CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

i don't think you will find someone that give you this offer.

You're asking too much at an absurd price.

Thanked by 1msallak1
  • @CiprianoOscar said:
    i don't think you will find someone that give you this offer.

You're asking too much at an absurd price.

what about around $15, still possible? I may fork a bit more for it

• CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

Are you sure you're really going to use 500mbps of bandwidth as an average? For a plesk server they seem very high to me.

• @CiprianoOscar said:
    Are you sure you're really going to use 500mbps of bandwidth as an average? For a plesk server they seem very high to me.

Plex*, never used plesk

• Tbh a private Plex server doesn't need that much cpu power... Anyway it's your choice...

• ServerHunterServerHunter Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2022

I'm guessing with your budget you're looking for a VPS with dedicated CPU cores?

Because for a dedicated server with that kind of CPU you'd be looking at a minimum of $38 USD:
    https://www.serverhunter.com/?search=XA1-XRV-HPL

• @ServerHunter said:
    I'm guessing with your budget you're looking for a VPS with dedicated CPU cores?

Because for a dedicated server you'd be looking at a minimum of $38 USD:
    https://www.serverhunter.com/?search=XA1-XRV-HPL

oh damn, well I guess my budget is too low

• ServerHunterServerHunter Member, Host Rep

@VXsz said: oh damn, well I guess my budget is too low

$8/month probably doesn't even cover the power usage of the CPU you're looking for. :)

You might want to re-calculate the specs you need though. Most PLEX servers run on much weaker CPUs with much less bandwidth than the requirements you listed. Unless you're sharing it with other people and have multiple transcoders at the same time, but in that case they should just chip in so you can spend more on the server. :smiley:

Thanked by 2lucienfc Logano
  • What about QuickSync? it's a GPU but could be cheap as it's even on Celeron processors, UHD 630 and afterwards are great

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Try building your own and see if you are willing to rent it out for the price you are demanding.

• bakagetabakageta Member
    edited January 2022

@VXsz said:

Yeah, way too low. If you're wanting CPU for plex then you're planning on transcoding, and you'll need a dedi or a vps with dedicated cores, otherwise the cpu usage is going to get you kicked off. I got what I consider a very good deal on a dedi during black friday, and at $20/month I've only got about 4k geekbench5, the specs you're asking for are just impossibly good for the price you're looking at.

Honestly though, you should maybe look into a dedi with an iGPU, those are going to absolutely crunch through transcoding compared to just doing it on the CPU. SoYouStart has the SYS-3-SAT-32 / SYS-3-SSD-32 for $34/mo that's got an iGPU, but I believe it's generally 250mbit unless you get lucky. Otherwise, in your budget you could get something with a weak CPU and stop transcoding your videos, use clients that can direct play your content.

• @deank said:
    Try building your own and see if you are willing to rent it out for the price you are demanding.

I understand where you come from, but I had no idea what the market is like and now I'm getting the picture, so sorry if my budget appeared to be too low

@bakageta said:

@VXsz said:

Yeah, way too low. If you're wanting CPU for plex then you're planning on transcoding, and you'll need a dedi or a vps with dedicated cores, otherwise the cpu usage is going to get you kicked off. I got what I consider a very good deal on a dedi during black friday, and at $20/month I've only got about 4k geekbench5, the specs you're asking for are just impossibly good for the price you're looking at.

Honestly though, you should maybe look into a dedi with an iGPU, those are going to absolutely crunch through transcoding compared to just doing it on the CPU. SoYouStart has the SYS-3-SAT-32 / SYS-3-SSD-32 for $34/mo that's got an iGPU, but I believe it's generally 250mbit unless you get lucky. Otherwise, in your budget you could get something with a weak CPU and stop transcoding your videos, use clients that can direct play your content.

Yeah I may end up getting a little light server in the end, thanks for the tip

• Plex server for personal usage can run fine on a VPS with single score GB5 550 and a 1 GB of RAM, unless you need to transcode the media, especially 1080p or higher video.

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • wishosting deal of the day for $19.99, but they don't meet your bandwidth requirement xD everything else is good.

8 vCPU cores Intel Xeon E5-2680v2
    Unlimited CPU cores 3.1GHz Turbo
    32GB ECC RAM
    100GB SSD
    Bandwidth 250Mbps
    Traffic 8TB
    1 IPv4
    Private networking
    Location - Los Angeles
    Setup time up to 24 hours

• Ignore the bench score, most vpses at $8 a month can stream well, for private use.

• @VXsz said:
    I'm looking for pure CPU power, I have seen Datapacket but I'm not sure, what I need is 14000+ passmark scores CPU (or about 6000+ geekbench 5) on the cheap, core speed does matter so higher frequency CPUs are preferred, other specs:
    1GB (ideally more) RAM
    60GB
    1gbps (500mbps minimum) unmetered/very high limit (like 80TB)
    DDOS and location doesn't matter at all

This for a Plex setup, my budget is around $8 (can go slightly higher if needed), I know budget is a bit low but I'm giving it a shot, any offers (even if above my budget)?

Keep Dreaming.

• @VXsz said: This for a Plex setup, my budget is around $8

that sounds more like and insult than a price :)
    try self hosting at home.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited January 2022

@DanSummer said:

@VXsz said: This for a Plex setup, my budget is around $8

that sounds more like and insult than a price :)
    try self hosting at home.

Are he is so green, he don't really know what the specs mean.

• We keep scraping the bottom of the barrel :D

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@bakageta said:
    Honestly though, you should maybe look into a dedi with an iGPU, those are going to absolutely crunch through transcoding compared to just doing it on the CPU.

I have a dedi with i5-6500T Skylake processor, equipped with Intel HD Graphics 530.

I tried its H264 encoding to 720p outage using ffmpeg with VAAPI driver, but the speed is same as libx264 CPU encoding.
    However, the output file from hardware encoding is much smaller than the same content encoded in software, for reasons that I do not understand.

How to squeeze more power out of this GPU?

• LeifurGunnarssonLeifurGunnarsson Member, Host Rep

Something like AdvinServers or Hetzner could work for this.

• How do you plan to use 80TB/month?
    My home internet is shared by 10 people, most of us stream videos obviously, and we barely eek out over 1TB/month.

• @Logano said:
    How do you plan to use 80TB/month?
    My home internet is shared by 10 people, most of us stream videos obviously, and we barely eek out over 1TB/month.

Pfff. Over 1TB/mo is what I do myself. Does that mean I can say I stream as hard as 10 people? Worst humble brag, ever.

• @Logano said:
    most of us stream videos obviously

The videos:

• @yoursunny said:

@bakageta said:
    Honestly though, you should maybe look into a dedi with an iGPU, those are going to absolutely crunch through transcoding compared to just doing it on the CPU.

I have a dedi with i5-6500T Skylake processor, equipped with Intel HD Graphics 530.

I tried its H264 encoding to 720p outage using ffmpeg with VAAPI driver, but the speed is same as libx264 CPU encoding.
    However, the output file from hardware encoding is much smaller than the same content encoded in software, for reasons that I do not understand.

How to squeeze more power out of this GPU?

Checkout doom9.

• @TimboJones said:

@Logano said:
    How do you plan to use 80TB/month?

Pfff. Over 1TB/mo is what I do myself. Does that mean I can say I stream as hard as 10 people? Worst humble brag, ever.

Unless he planned to share his plex libraries to public (paid subscription) with cloud storage backend.. that why he is unable to control client transcoding behaviour ..

• With that budget you can go for vps with single core with 1 GM RAM and disk space of 50GB should be enough unless you wish to hoard data on HDD.

Just don't transcode on vps, keep it direct play. Also you will have to take care of location, keeping near your country or continent will be good for you. Even if you are asking 1 gbps or 500 Mbps port, I like you tell you it's shared port and you won't get that much speed 24 x 7.

If you are ready to spend around 15 dollars per month then I will suggest take this Plex prebuilt server from Ultra.cc, check "SABRA" Plan that's minimal plan providing Plex and also note they don't count Plex streaming against data uploaded from your seedbox account, it's kind of free Plex without any network traffic charged. More over on this seedbox you can afford to do transcodes and share Plex with your family members too. Sharing 1 core vps for Plex streaming will lead to congestion unless there is only one person using Plex all the time throughout your contract period.

Sabra plan above I mentioned is 14.95 euros per month, you can go for annual plan to claim some discount. Also there is current ongoing deal, though it mentions it will expire on 15th January, it's still working. Having seedbox will get you extra space so you can make your library huge than 60 gb VPS

• @TimboJones said:

Not sure why you think that'd be anything to brag about, it's just fact. 80TB is a lot, and yes, you stream as hard as 10 people. But you're probably mixing in 4k while we're watching mostly 1080p.

Streaming 1080p video requires what, 5-6Mbps? If you average that out by time it's about 2.5GB/hour, and 1TB/mo. is about 400 hours/month.

Assuming 4k instead of 1080p, 400 hours of video is 4TB/mo.

So your usage of 1TB isn't extreme, but OP's 80TB is. Which is why I asked how he plans to use it.

@jmgcaguicla
    The videos:

LOL it's not that bad. 99% of the month, I don't have issues playing 1080p, or even downloading at 50Mbps (our line is 60Mbps and the modem and router are in my apartment). Most of us have different schedules.

• Just grab contabo, spin plex and test. You overthinking and overcomplicating things. Do not brag, just do it, like a nike!

• @Logano said: Streaming 1080p video requires what, 5-6Mbps? If you average that out by time it's about 2.5GB/hour, and 1TB/mo. is about 400 hours/month.

This here is a good reason why having a local storage spank bank isn't a terrible idea, especially if only have 1TB of bandwidth.

Thanked by 1Logano