Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr Out of Stock
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr Out of Stock

Hi,
Recently I created an account and made a deposit to Vultr specifically to deploy an instance in Singapore. But it turned out that Singapore is out of stock (as well as a couple of other locations). Before the deposit, nothing indicated that Singapore is sold out.
I've contacted their support and they said to wait for 1-2 weeks. It's been 17 days already, nothing changed, and again they say to keep waiting.

I found this thread. Interestingly, on the screenshot, Singapore is also sold out. So I'm wondering, how likely that I'll be able to get an instance there. Does anybody have running instances in Singapore?
Also, if some of their locations are often not available, shouldn't they explicitly show that to users before they make a deposit?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2022

This is fairly normal behavior for a cloud provider. Even Amazon sometimes has capacity issues in a region, and they're not going to give you a warning about it while signing up. There are a lot of different potential perspectives about it but in general they are disconnected systems and procedures:

1. Signing up isn't based on a single region
    2. Abuse and fraud prevention may require some show of being serious, a deposit not being weird
    3. Availability of individual regions may vary

Given the state of hardware in 2021 there is also nothing unusual about shortages and delays. The sum of all of these parts are usually not taken into consideration for a single onboarding path that combines all of them. I can understand the desire that they might, but the more information you put in front of a new customer, the more information they'll skip over.

It's hard to accommodate every thought pattern in one line of process. For example, one customer will say you shouldn't allow new registrations during an outage, and another will complain that your registrations were disabled. It's just impossible to account for every concern at once.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited January 2022

I'd be more interested if you tried to get a refund and they said NO. Then it becomes scammy.
    They should indicate stock in a particular region - that's disingenuous (at the least) in my eyes.

Edit: just looked at the quoted screenshot - it's says temporarily sold out. So OP purchased anyway, with that status? :#

• deankdeank Member, Troll

What's with these recent influx of "Out of stock @ X, help me!" threads recently?

What can we do anyway?

• Kcs13Kcs13 Member
    edited January 2022

@jar said:
    This is fairly normal behavior for a cloud provider. Even Amazon sometimes has capacity issues in a region, and they're not going to give you a warning about it while signing up.
    Given the state of hardware in 2021 there is also nothing unusual about shortages and delays.

Ok thanks for the info. It's just the first time that I encounter such issues.

@jar said:
    It's hard to accommodate every thought pattern in one line of process. For example, one customer will say you shouldn't allow new registrations during an outage, and another will complain that your registrations were disabled. It's just impossible to account for every concern at once.

Well I'm not suggesting to disallow registrations, just to be more transparent.

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Edit: just looked at the quoted screenshot - it's says temporarily sold out. So OP purchased anyway, with that status? :#

It's not my screenshot. It's made in 2018 and I didn't see it before creating an account. It just made me think maybe they never or almost never have availability in Singapore.
    And like I said, before I made the deposit there were no 'Sold out' messages.

@deank said:
    What can we do anyway?

Nothing you can do, I'm just asking for your opinion and whether or not someone has running instances in Singapore.

• edited January 2022

@Kcs13 said:
    Nothing you can do, I'm just asking for your opinion and whether or not someone has running instances in Singapore.

I have a VM in Singapore, so it's not a pipe dream. You just had bad timing I suppose.

Also - i just checked - Singapore is definitely available at the moment.

Thanked by 2Kcs13 Logano

@Kcs13 said:

That's the part that puzzles me. Why ask? Are you going to chase him down, break into his house, have a gun on his forehead, and ask him to handover his account?

• @NobodyInteresting said:
    Also - i just checked - Singapore is definitely available at the moment.

Now that is really weird. They are not available to me, and their Accounts Team twice confirmed that the location is out of stock now.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • edited January 2022

Thanked by 1Logano
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Yeah it looks to be available from here too:

• @NobodyInteresting, @DP
    Thanks for sharing. I guess I'll contact support again.

Thanked by 2NobodyInteresting DP
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited January 2022

Stock will vary depending on what you select I.E. : Cloud Compute vs High Frequency @Kcs13

• @Hxxx
    For me nothing is available (Cloud Compute, High Frequency, Bare Metal)

• might sound weird, but did you try another device/browser/remove adblocker?

And turn off VPN if using it.

• @Falzo, @deank
    Tried in different browsers, with and without adblocker/VPN. Same thing.

• @Kcs13 said:
    @Falzo, @deank
    Tried in different browsers, with and without adblocker/VPN. Same thing.

How strange - I had a look also and can see Singapore available.

Will be interesting as to what their support comes back to you with.

Thanked by 2lentro Falzo

Then quite possible that your PC itself has some sort of virus.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2022

@Kcs13 said: Now that is really weird. They are not available to me, and their Accounts Team twice confirmed that the location is out of stock now.

When I worked at DigitalOcean we did the same thing when an area was low on capacity. We'd disable creation of servers only for users that didn't already have a server in the region. The justification being that an existing user in the region has a more immediate need to scale their existing production infrastructure than someone who hasn't yet entered that region.

That said, Singapore is open for me and I don't have a server there. So maybe it's not that? Maybe account age or number of servers regardless of region, account value, anything.

I've seen odd obscure virus/malware that attempt to inject codes when a user browses sites which typically breaks some stuff.

• I tried a test deployment in Singapore and it works fine. Perhaps some policy that blocks certain regions for new accounts? Could be frequently abused by new accounts or something.

Thanked by 2Kcs13 Not_Oles
  • @jar said:
    We'd disable creation of servers only for users that didn't already have a server in the region.

@Decicus said:
    Perhaps some policy that blocks certain regions for new accounts?

Could be true. Anyway thanks, I'll keep you posted when they answer.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@Decicus said: I tried a test deployment in Singapore and it works fine.

Thorough and careful! :)

• I can see it available for my account. Looks more like it is blocked for your account

• Mine is available, I never use vultr. But i signed up ages ago. yeah probably because of new account.

• zhizhi Member

Maybe you can try API to create it.

• Kcs13Kcs13 Member
    edited January 2022

The support said it's an account-related issue and redirected me to Accounts Team again. So yeah, probably it's something with my account. Maybe the Accounts Team will give my more details.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • don't forget to choose high performance
    ... blah.blah.blah

• no problem with vpn, I tried using surfshark vpn, and there are still many locations in Singapore, whether it's cloud compute or high frequency

• i feel ...

cloud compute is average performance ..... better on reputable let provider + cheaper

stick on high performance on vultr .... if ..

tl;tr

It is just him.

Thanked by 1pedagang