Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does SYS do it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How does SYS do it?

I've been looking at all these dedi offers but none of them even comes close to say the SYS1 or SYS 2 servers in terms of price to what is offered ratio. I may be missing something obvious here.

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

it's old ovh hardware

Thanked by 3AXYZE lentro devp
  • Years old hardware which still can give some juice without knocking out the whole shelf.

• Power of volume.

You can sell 1 a month and make $50 profit or you can sell 25 a month and make the same.

When you are playing in volume, you also get better deal from vendors.

There’s another theory, calculating ROI. Some companies would prefer to take a hit on their immediate cash flow in favor of higher return in the long run. Some prefers to keep their cash flow steady with a longer ROI. Which also may or may not have additional benefits such as writing of expenses, securing bigger credit terms with creditors/vendors etc.

Also don’t forget, burning investors money is easier when you are taking seed funds from VC ;)

Another awesome thing with companies that runs budget and premium brands (SYS Vs Ovh) is that, they get to recycle already paid off ready to be decommissioned servers and generate additional revenue.

At 1:30 am, this is the best way I can answer.

• @bruh21 said:
    it's old ovh hardware

I mean I'm sure it's old hardware but the offers coming in here aren't the newest either but double the cost.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited January 2022

None comes close?
    Hetzner Auction Server for 33eur right now:
    i7 3770
    32GB
    4x 6TB
    1Gbps unmetered
    Actually working support

Or regular AX41 with 2x NVMe for 34 euro

If you won SyS lottery and got 4x 4TB & 1Gbps then ok, but if not then Hetzner has a lot better value.

Unless you need 16x IP.

Thanked by 3Erisa fLoo devp

@BarkingIron said:

@bruh21 said:
    it's old ovh hardware

I mean I'm sure it's old hardware but the offers coming in here aren't the newest either but double the cost.

ovh is a big company that has already paid off this hardware, they run their own network and datacenter. they dont have to worry about those expenses as much as smaller providers on here, so obviously the prices are cheaper. the same can be said about hetzner who also has very cheap and unbeatable servers, albeit with less locations

• @AXYZE said:
    None comes close?
    i7 3770
    32GB
    4x 6TB
    1Gbps unmetered
    Actually working support

If you won SyS lottery and got 4x 4TB & 1Gbps then ok, but if not then Hetzner has a lot better value.

Unless you need 16x IP.

Indeed i was lucky with the 4x4TB and 10gig down. Maybe that's skewing my perspective.

@AXYZE said:
    Unless you need 16x IP.

or decent ddos protection

• @bruh21 said:

@AXYZE said:
    Unless you need 16x IP.

Although SYS seems to think I am getting ddosed anytime I'm downloading something

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2022

@BarkingIron said:

@bruh21 said:

@AXYZE said:
    Unless you need 16x IP.

Although SYS seems to think I am getting ddosed anytime I'm downloading something

Probably because of 10Gbps. Try to limit wget at 1Gbps and probably will be fine (just for test purpose).
    I have a GAME-3 with 1Gbps up/down and I have no issues regarding false DDoS detection.
    Best regards, Florin.

• @FlorinMarian said:

@BarkingIron said:

@bruh21 said:

@AXYZE said:
    Unless you need 16x IP.

Probably because of 10Gbps. Try to limit wget at 1Gbps and probably will be fine (just for test purpose).
    I have a GAME-3 with 1Gbps up/down and I have no issues regarding false DDoS detecition.
    Best regards, Florin.

Single files don't really cause an issue. I think P2P triggers it.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited January 2022

@BarkingIron said:

@AXYZE said:
    None comes close?
    i7 3770
    32GB
    4x 6TB
    1Gbps unmetered
    Actually working support

Unless you need 16x IP.

Indeed i was lucky with the 4x4TB and 10gig down. Maybe that's skewing my perspective.

If you would get 4x2TB & 250Mbps up/down like its written on page then its not THAT good deal.
    Remember that they can downgrade you to proper specs for example if theres hardware failure or you will raise ticket for something.
    They gave you 4TB disks because they are used, old and they had plenty of them so instead of ordering 2TB they just put these 4TB's. It doesnt mean that they will replace them with 4TB again if they fail in future. These are old servers and they put whatever they have in inventory. Some people get better CPU's, some get more TB's and some get faster network because they didnt waste time to reconfigure router.

@AXYZE said:

@BarkingIron said:

@AXYZE said:
    None comes close?
    i7 3770
    32GB
    4x 6TB
    1Gbps unmetered
    Actually working support

Unless you need 16x IP.

If you would get 4x2TB & 250Mbps up/down like its written on page then its not THAT good deal.
    Remember that they can downgrade you to proper specs for example if theres hardware failure or you will raise ticket for something.
    They gave you 4TB disks because they are used, old and they had plenty of them so instead of ordering 2TB they judt put these 4TB's. It doesnt mean that they will replace them with 4TB again if they fail in future.

Their hardware is long-term usage ready, working hours doesn't matter with them:smile:
    My SyS GAME-3 has 450GB Samsung PMxxx which has 47K working hours and only 11% wearout.
    On my physical server I have Samsung 860 EVO 5y warranty with 1600 working hours and they have already 3% wearout.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited January 2022

@FlorinMarian said:

@AXYZE said:

@BarkingIron said:

@AXYZE said:
    None comes close?
    i7 3770
    32GB
    4x 6TB
    1Gbps unmetered
    Actually working support

Unless you need 16x IP.

They gave you 4TB disks because they are used, old and they had plenty of them so instead of ordering 2TB they judt put these 4TB's. It doesnt mean that they will replace them with 4TB again if they fail in future.

Their hardware is long-term usage ready, working hours doesn't matter with them:smile:
    My SyS GAME-3 has 450GB Samsung PMxxx which has 47K working hours and only 11% wearout.
    On my physical server I have Samsung 860 EVO 5y warranty with 1600 working hours and they have already 3% wearout.

Um.
    You can have 0% wear with 100k power-on hours.
    You write data = you wear flash memory. Why are you even comparing two different disks and their power-on hours when wear depends only on how many TBs you wrote?

And what it even has to do with old spinning rust, which doesnt wear like SSD? That's why we look at power-on hours on HDDs. On SSD it doesnt matter at all, they dont degrade by just running, they degrade by changing bytes.

I'm just saying that if hardware fails then SyS can change your hardware to proper one. So I wouldnt rate whole SyS offer by some lottery that you can win and get more than is written.

• @AXYZE said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@AXYZE said:

@BarkingIron said:

@AXYZE said:
    None comes close?
    i7 3770
    32GB
    4x 6TB
    1Gbps unmetered
    Actually working support

Unless you need 16x IP.

Um.
    You write data = you wear flash memory. Why are you even comparing two different disks and their power-on hours when wear depends only on how many TBs you wrote?

And what it even has to do with old spinning rust, which doesnt wear like SSD? That's why we look at power-on hours on HDDs. On SSD it doesnt matter at all, they dont degrade by just running, they degrade by changing bytes.

I'm just saying that if hardware fails then SyS can change your hardware to proper one. So I wouldnt rate whole SyS offer by some lottery that you can win and get more than is written.

Still a banger deal with 4X4 disks with average 12K power on hours. Hopefully it'll last me long enough until i can offered better servers.

Are the disks and components on hrtzner servers newer compared to SYS?

@AXYZE said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@AXYZE said:

@BarkingIron said:

@AXYZE said:
    None comes close?
    i7 3770
    32GB
    4x 6TB
    1Gbps unmetered
    Actually working support

Unless you need 16x IP.

Um.

I have SAS Enterprise disks bought refurbished at 46K hours with 0 error rate.
    Where the is the problem?

• @FlorinMarian said:

@AXYZE said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@AXYZE said:

@BarkingIron said:

@AXYZE said:
    None comes close?
    i7 3770
    32GB
    4x 6TB
    1Gbps unmetered
    Actually working support

Unless you need 16x IP.

Um.

1. OP ordered SyS server with 4x 2TB HDD and 250Mbps network
    2. OP got server with 4x4TB HDD and 10Gbps instead and created this thread because he is amazed that he won the lottery. He wrote that no other provider comes close.
    3. I'm saying that Hetzner with guaranteed 4x 6TB & 1Gbps is also a good deal. In his SyS server if theres hardware failure then it can be downgraded back to 2TB or 250Mbps.
    4. You are writing about your SSDs.

I dont know what is "the problem". In fact I have no idea why are you telling me about wear on your SSDs.

• AstroAstro Member
    edited January 2022

• @BarkingIron said:

@AXYZE said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@AXYZE said:

@BarkingIron said:

@AXYZE said:
    None comes close?
    i7 3770
    32GB
    4x 6TB
    1Gbps unmetered
    Actually working support

Unless you need 16x IP.

Um.

Still a banger deal with 4X4 disks with average 12K power on hours. Hopefully it'll last me long enough until i can offered better servers.

Are the disks and components on hrtzner servers newer compared to SYS?

Ofc its a banger if you got more than you ordered ;) but if someone gets 4x2TB & 250Mbps then meeeh, plenty of other, good offers

Everyone is selling old hardware in this price range. Nothing wrong about it. I'm just pointing out that these "free upgrades" arent for every server and you cant be sure that it will last forever. You just completly won lottery, thats it. Plenty of people got "normal" 4x2TB with 250Mbps/1Gbps

@AXYZE said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@AXYZE said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@AXYZE said:

@BarkingIron said:

@AXYZE said:
    None comes close?
    i7 3770
    32GB
    4x 6TB
    1Gbps unmetered
    Actually working support

Unless you need 16x IP.

Um.

2. OP got server with 4x4TB HDD and 10Gbps instead and created this thread because he is amazed that he won the lottery. He wrote that no other provider comes close.
    3. I'm saying that Hetzner with guaranteed 4x 6TB & 1Gbps is also a good deal. In his SyS server if theres hardware failure then it can be downgraded back to 2TB or 250Mbps.

I dont know what is "the problem". In fact I have no idea why are you telling me about wear on your SSDs.

I've just exposed my idea regarding death of 40K running hours disks which in my opinion is not very close.
    We'll stop here in respect for our time.
    Best regards, Florin.

• @FlorinMarian said:

@AXYZE said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@AXYZE said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@AXYZE said:

@BarkingIron said:

@AXYZE said:
    None comes close?
    i7 3770
    32GB
    4x 6TB
    1Gbps unmetered
    Actually working support

Unless you need 16x IP.

Um.

I've just exposed my idea regarding death of 40K running hours disks which in my opinion is not very close.
    Best regards, Florin.

We misunderstood each other. I didnt said that these disks will all fail at 40k (like you said - they can work longer than that), I said IF theres hardware failure (router, motherbord, cpu, disks) then his dedi can be "downgraded" to 2TB disks or 250Mbps network :)
    Yes, we can stop here, now we have clear idea :)

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • @AXYZE said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@AXYZE said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@AXYZE said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@AXYZE said:

@BarkingIron said:

@AXYZE said:
    None comes close?
    i7 3770
    32GB
    4x 6TB
    1Gbps unmetered
    Actually working support

Unless you need 16x IP.

Um.

Best regards, Florin.

We misunderstood each other. I didnt said that these disks will all fail at 40k (like you said - they can work longer than that), I said IF theres hardware failure (router, motherbord, cpu, disks) then his dedi can be "downgraded" to 2TB disks or 250Mbps network :)

Do kimsufi/soyoustart not replace hardware if it fails/breaks? I assume they would

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2022

@BarkingIron said: I mean I'm sure it's old hardware but the offers coming in here aren't the newest either but double the cost.

The way I see it is this. SYS (and Kimsufi) are brands with older hardware that's a hand-me-down from OVH's main brand. That means they've already gotten a return on the cost of the hardware (e.g. hardware costs 2k, they've already gotten that 2k+ back while it was in service in the OVH brand). So as long as they get the cost of operations (power, space, and network) that's sold on SYS/Kimsufi, everything else is basically profits. Cost of operation after they get the hardware paid off is probably like 1 or 2 dollars a month per server (assumptions, not estimates, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was around it).

Now some of the hosting providers here are limited in the revenue sector (most have a target of 7 dollars to appease the "lowendness"). Being limited by how much you can "earn" from the lowend customerbase, that means you have to control your costs. Well second hand hardware is fairly affordable (with server hardware having the potential of losing up to 50% of it's value over 3-4 years) and for many people on LET, they're a lot more price conscious.

For those who are value conscious, LET historically was focused on the RAM/$$ ratio (notice it doesn't really factoring what speed of RAM, nor CPU, nor CPU clockspeed). Again, newer hardware is great and people will jump on a deal with newer hardware, but it doesn't play as big of a factor if they're getting a smaller piece of the pie (or you can always reduce your profit margins on those newer nodes, meaning it'll take you longer to break even on them).

That's pretty much how OVH's SYS and Kimsufi brands are so cheap. OVH has optimized for a lean operating costs which means they've done a ton of vertical integration (they own the DC, they own a large portion of the network, etc.) and have economy of scale. Most hosts here are smaller, don't operate their own DCs (lack vertical scaling), etc. which means most hosts here usually can't/won't operate on the same levels as OVH because it doesn't work for them.

Thanked by 2Daniel15 chedenaz
  • Post your NIC handle and server's nsXXX ID, and I will send in a request to "fix" your server, so you stop getting this tingling feeling that SYS is so awesome.

• @Smith42 said:
    Post your NIC handle and server's nsXXX ID, and I will send in a request to "fix" your server, so you stop getting this tingling feeling that SYS is so awesome.

how

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Smith42 said:
    Post your NIC handle and server's nsXXX ID, and I will send in a request to "fix" your server, so you stop getting this tingling feeling that SYS is so awesome.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited January 2022

@allthemtings said:

@AXYZE said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@AXYZE said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@AXYZE said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@AXYZE said:

@BarkingIron said:

@AXYZE said:
    None comes close?
    i7 3770
    32GB
    4x 6TB
    1Gbps unmetered
    Actually working support

Unless you need 16x IP.

Um.

Best regards, Florin.

Do kimsufi/soyoustart not replace hardware if it fails/breaks? I assume they would

They will, but OP got 4TB disks instead of what he should get (2TB), thats why he can be downgraded to 2TB if they will fail. SyS installed 4TB there just because they had plenty of them lying around in some datacenters so they used them instead of ordering 2TB ones. If they used 4TB inventory then replacements will be 2TB. Simple.

Same with network, if they will make changes to router he can be downgraded from 10Gbps to 250Mbps, because he ordered server with 250Mbps and 10Gbps he got is just a mistake.

• OsirisBlackOsirisBlack Member
    edited January 2022

Just a thought - If one 4TB disk fails, would SYS replace that with a 2TB disk when the other 3 are 4TB ?. Is that going to mess up raid configs?

*Would be good if a current provider here could advise on what they would do :smile:

• @OsirisBlack said:
    Just a thought - If one 4TB disk fails, would SYS replace that with a 2TB disk when the other 3 are 4TB ?. Is that going to mess up raid configs?

*Would be good if a current provider here could advise on what they would do :smile:

That depends on what they have in stock and is available for you.

Realistically, I think a request for the same size HDD is a valid request and they should honor it.

• @HalfEatenPie said:

@OsirisBlack said:

That depends on what they have in stock and is available for you.

Realistically, I think a request for the same size HDD is a valid request and they should honor it.

Possibly - but can there auto install handle differing HD sizes on install?