Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Year Special - Gigabit Unmetered Dedicated Server! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Year Special - Gigabit Unmetered Dedicated Server!

13»

Comments

• @terrahost said:

@jsg said:

@HalfEatenPie said:
    Let's all relax.

Agreed. But I find it strange that @terrahost seems to simply ignore certain epik related questions. There is a major difference between "> 80% of terrahost has been taken over by epik" and "oh well, epik purchased about 15% of terrahost".

So, terrahost, again: What percentage of terrahost has been sold to epik?

A statement regarding this will be made available soon.

soon - much more vague term than next couple of days

🛑 sign

• soon => Monday™

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @default said:
    soon => Monday™

Awesome! :smiley: Wait...which one? :neutral:

• @Pilotseye said:

@default said:
    soon => Monday™

Which is why I used = and > symbols. One needs to read the whole texts, to see what exists between the lines, and to observe the possible conspiracy in apparent arrows. This is LET.

Thanked by 1Pilotseye
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jsg said: Agreed. But I find it strange that @terrahost seems to simply ignore certain epik related questions. There is a major difference between "> 80% of terrahost has been taken over by epik" and "oh well, epik purchased about 15% of terrahost".

There's some value to just not talking about it. It's not going to change how anyone feels about the connection or how it has been handled thus far. When people want you to speak only so that they can find the next thing to target you for, being silent is respectable. I would only know because I never do it, and people try to use it against me all of the time. Transparency and openness is not even nearly always well received.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited January 2022

Overall I consider the connection with Epik as something bad, but I also see it as something good. It will increase sales, even though Epik is not that respectable.

For example, Terrahost did not allow Tor exit-nodes. Now we have this in their client area:

Updates to ToS regarding Tor Exits
    Dec 13, 2021
    We've updated our Terms of Service with a new reduced exit policy for Tor Exits hosted on our network. Any customer running a Tor Exit must have this policy implemented before 01.01.2022.

So now we can see something like this in their terms too:

Tor Exit Node

Terrahost allows customers to operate Tor Exit nodes on our network with the restrictions listed below. A Tor Exit node can use a lot of bandwidth and cause you to exceed your included bandwidth volume. Additional bandwidth is charged at current rates.

The server must have a website stating that it operates a Tor Exit node
        The server must have a recognizable Reverse DNS that shows it operates a Tor Exit node
        The server must use a reduced exit policy as described on this link:
        https://terrahost.no/tor-exit
        You must contact support before you setup your Tor Exit node

And on that dedicated page they specified, precisely, their wanted rules for Tor exit-node configuration:

Tor Exit Policy

ExitPolicy accept *:20-21   # FTP
    ExitPolicy accept *:43      # WHOIS
    ExitPolicy accept *:53      # DNS
    ExitPolicy accept *:80-81   # HTTP, HTTP alt.
    ExitPolicy accept *:443     # HTTPS
    ExitPolicy accept *:5222-5223   # XMPP, XMPP over 
    ExitPolicy accept *:6667-7000   # IRC
    ExitPolicy accept *:8008    # HTTP alternate
    ExitPolicy accept *:8082    # HTTPS Electrum Bitcoin port
    ExitPolicy accept *:8332-8333   # Bitcoin
    ExitPolicy accept *:8888    # HTTP Proxies, NewsEDGE, HUSH coin
    ExitPolicy accept *:9418    # git - Git pack transfer service
    ExitPolicy accept *:50002   # Electrum Bitcoin SSL
    ExitPolicy accept *:64738   # Mumble - voice over IP
    ExitPolicy accept *:18080-18081     # Monero
    ExitPolicy reject *:*

I believe all this change is because of Epik. In 2020, Terrahost was known for not allowing any Tor exit-node on their network. So this 80% sale to Epik might come with more online anonymity in future.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@jar said:

@jsg said: Agreed. But I find it strange that @terrahost seems to simply ignore certain epik related questions. There is a major difference between "> 80% of terrahost has been taken over by epik" and "oh well, epik purchased about 15% of terrahost".

There's some value to just not talking about it. It's not going to change how anyone feels about the connection or how it has been handled thus far. When people want you to speak only so that they can find the next thing to target you for, being silent is respectable. I would only know because I never do it, and people try to use it against me all of the time. Transparency and openness is not even nearly always well received.

Agreed - from the perspective of the company.

From my - the (potential) customers - perspective though, it strongly suggests that terrahost (or Epic now?) tries to hide the truth because they know that we won't like it and that sales will suffer.

My personal TL;DR so far: terrahost really is a great provider but I would not consider buying from them - at all - if Epic's share was >= 25%, which highly likely is the case.

Thanked by 1jar
  • AndrewsAndrews Member
    edited January 2022

@terrahost said:

great. finally. so there we have some progress. all this effort reading drunks and homo comma hate fighters desperately looking for FBs was worth it :D

after undisclosed number of days (since in Epik's Xmas e-mail there is statement "Earlier this year") from whole event, company (probably some Barbra S. form PR department) made a decision to finally prepare official statement about it

• AndrewsAndrews Member
    edited January 2022

@Pilotseye said:

@default said:
    soon => Monday™

for your reference: Monday™ means deadline made of unobtanium, impossible to prove that it was not met, as it keeps moving and moving as time goes by, and each week it means another Monday, term invented by some fallen Romanian internet&perfume ponzi scheme entrepreneur back in late 2020 :D

Thanked by 3default pbx Pilotseye
  • KermEdKermEd Member
    edited January 2022

@Andrews said:
    if you can't handle mine poor English on international forum

I just wanted to say your English is more than fine. The intent of your posts comes across perfect, and subtext is pretty good. Anyone not understanding is likely doing so intentionally.

Edited to include: Although you should know that FB is an acronym for Facebook. And you really shouldn't make subtle micro aggressions towards non-straight sexualities - it devalues your arguments, attacks people unnecessarily, and would usually make people see you as below them.

Thanked by 1Andrews
  • AndrewsAndrews Member
    edited January 2022

@KermEd said:

@Andrews said:
    if you can't handle mine poor English on international forum

I just wanted to say your English is more than fine. The intent of your posts comes across perfect, and subtext is pretty good.

Thanks for kind words about my English.

Anyone not understanding is likely doing so intentionally.

Frankly speaking, I got the same impression, that this is the reason why he is desperately looking for typos.

Edited to include: Although you should know that FB is an acronym for Facebook. And you really shouldn't make subtle micro aggressions towards non-straight sexualities - it devalues your arguments, attacks people unnecessarily, and would usually make people see you as below them.

Regarding FB, ofc I know that is an acronym for Facebook, but you probably missed that this acronym was already used here in this thread in other context (this sexual context forced by BimboJackass):

@HalfEatenPie said:
    So is the above conversation and wall of text about providers or is it a tiff between FB's?

It just violates my comfort zone, as super straight (and you have absolute right that every sexualities deserve respect), when he, BJ (acronym for BimboJackass, before you will tell that you have other meaning for it...), complete strange person (claiming to have absolute superior communication skills in English language) from Internet, is hitting to me with his "FUCK BUDDY", so you should rather condemn his sexual attack, not my brutal rejection words that I am not interested

please, lets focus on subject of this thread: TERRAHOST!!!

• afnafn Member

@jsg said: From my - the (potential) customers - perspective though, it strongly suggests that terrahost (or Epic now?) tries to hide the truth because they know that we won't like it and that sales will suffer.

Tbh, the result is the same to me as a customer, if they hide it, it looks suspicious and if they say the truth, I won't like it as they will be acknowledging Epik. Either way, I am not renewing. I was also planning to order a dedi with them this month, but decided not to.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • pbxpbx Member

@afn said: acknowledging Epik

Some people might enjoy them being bought by Epik (they might be more lenient on DCMA, Exit nodes, etc). Anyway, telling the truth to your customers won't hurt on the long run as people will eventually find out, wether you tell them officially or not: better tell the truth, as soon as the company has been bought!

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @terrahost said:

@jsg said:

@HalfEatenPie said:
    Let's all relax.

Agreed. But I find it strange that @terrahost seems to simply ignore certain epik related questions. There is a major difference between "> 80% of terrahost has been taken over by epik" and "oh well, epik purchased about 15% of terrahost".

Remember when @terrahost said they would issue a statement soon? If it's taking them weeks to write a press release, I bet it's going to be the best one ever written. Just the font selection alone probably takes a week.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited January 2022

@Dupondt said:

@terrahost said:

@jsg said:

@HalfEatenPie said:
    Let's all relax.

Remember when @terrahost said they would issue a statement soon? If it's taking them weeks to write a press release, I bet it's going to be the best one ever written. Just the font selection alone probably takes a week.

"soon" == "next Monday (TM)"

(P.S. my friend loves his terrahost VPS though)

• maybe @cociu has been absorbed into their team as well. so , soon™