Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Year Special - Gigabit Unmetered Dedicated Server! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Year Special - Gigabit Unmetered Dedicated Server!

Comments

• @HalfEatenPie said:
    For example, the purpose behind most unmetered gigabit ports is an expectation that you have the full speed when you need it

I disagree. The name is specifically for not expecting bandwidth limits and overage charges. There shouldn't be any performance expectations without that specifically having an SLA. At least in commercial contracts a local Telco uses for DSL service.

The word "dedicated" is what is required to expect "that you have the full speed when you need it".

• AndrewsAndrews Member
    edited January 2022

@TimboJones said:

@Andrews said:

@Moofie said:
    I honestly think the whole Epik thing is fine. You guys are all over reacting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

I don't think you understand what that means.

you don't think... that is the problem with you

it happens all the time, that other people write it to you: YOU COME LATE TO THE PARTY HERE, NOT BEING AWARE WHAT IS GOING ON, WHAT IS THREAD ABOUT, AND TRYING SO HARD TO POST SOMETHING. FAST. MUCH. PRODUCING SHITSTORM OF POST UNDER POST UNDER POST...

last time a week ago:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3354846/#Comment_3354846

@MikaelStrang said:

@TimboJones said:

@KermEd said:

@TimboJones said:

@hostingsolutionssux said:

@Hotmarer said:
    @hostingsolutionssux If we ask nicely, will you provide us with our backups of virtual machines?

Sorry, but I saved very few, I didn't think anyone was still using this bad host so I removed most of it.

This guy is fucking obtuse.

Speaking of which, you've made 9 posts in a row, and counting, with most of them to a disabled account

You feeling OK? You know you can quote more than one person a post right?

Consolidating unrelated quoted posts is stupid. But whining about scrolling just a little bit more is pretty lame.

You respond to stuff but your points get invalidated as you scroll on. You should've read everything first before replying to 100 different posts, then made a big reply to everything. LET Has drafts for a reason you know :open_mouth:

@TimboJones said: Will be very interested to know you plan on doing this. (Hint, you're a script kiddy who is full of shit). I've got some ground beef, can you make me a cow?

Also you make zero sense here. The person already proved they hacked the website. I don't know why you're trying to make them mad when they already agreed to delete it and not do anything with it. Very annoying as my data is in there and I don't want it leaked, so pipe down. You're acting younger than whoever probably hacked it.

and this evaluation of shit quality of your posts were agreed/thanked by plenty of LET members... so maybe you should finally think about it and stop being BimboJackass all the time

back to Barbara... let me enlighten you, if you "don't think"... and didn't get what this specific post was about

1. Streisand effect tl;dr for such dummies as you: if somebody (i.e public figure/entity) tries to hide something (not convenient for them), and people get aware of this... they often OVER REACT about it

2. it is expected, that businesses inform about acquisitions, mergers, buyouts, closing, expansions etc. this is normal way of dealing with such important business events. they publish press releases, directed e-mail notification for partners and customers, informs press/media/forums etc. not tries to hide this information in that way, they some random user have to investigate it and others (i.e. direct customers of this company) find out this surprising visiting some forum.

so summing up, if you add 1 and 2:
    -did TH inform us on LET or their customers about EPIK thing? NO!!! did it cause great surprise here on LET? YES!!! so there you have OVER REACTING

-did HS and TH informed every affected HS customer, that his client data was hand out to third party (TH), because TH acquired part of HS business??? NO!!! for weeks or month we seen here plenty of HS customers claiming that nobody contacted them about such event (for your information, GDPR requires immediate customer notification it there is change of business entity responsible for storing/processing/using protected client database). and TH still plying dumb, that they only acquired HW and customers, without acquiring HS business. so there you have OVER REACTING

and one more thing for future: if you "don't think", don't understand something etc. etc. just don't bother me about it anymore

• AndrewsAndrews Member
    edited January 2022

@TimboJones said:

@Andrews said:
    man do not drink and post anymore

FYI, because you're not English first language, between your typo's and poor grammar, it's actually your posts that look drunk, not jar's. His posts are 100% easy to read and understand.

Are you even a GDPR expert? A quick look at GDPR rules looks like they have an argument for continuing performance of a contract, much different than selling a database without ongoing services.

I am not commenting your Canadian redneck's slang, so if you can't handle mine poor English on international forum, than just be a man and use userscript for blocking post from specific user (which is floating around here) instead of crying about it all the time like little girl, and do not bother me anymore about typos, commas, grammar nazi...

if jar in his first sentence is claiming "Hey you violated the law." when I am asking about how come that TH acquired protected client data without acquiring HS business...
    if jar in next sentences is claiming that asking such question is being a douchebag because it will cause him/provider to hire expensive lawyer for GDPR matters to write simple answer...
    etc. etc.
    than yes: I CALL HIS POST A PURE DRUNKS BULLSHIT, as he/provider should be aware of such absolute basic GDPR requirements/regulations or hire such layer months ago when that performed whole magical customer data transfer from HS to TH took place, and now many LET members are asking valid questions about it

• Andrews finally turning into another jsg I'm afraid.

• edited January 2022

@frog said:

Advertising your services to consumers and using the words Unmetered Bandwidth and hiding limitations in your terms is illegal in Norway.

It is a violation of Norwegian marketing laws (§ 6, 7, and/or 8).

https://lovdata.no/dokument/NL/lov/2009-01-09-2#KAPITTEL_2

Is it still considered misleading even though Unmetered Port is not the same as a Dedicated Port? Like the advertising is 1Gbps Unmetered, it doesn't show that you can saturate the port 24/7, just that you are not charged overages.

• @stevewatson301 said:
    Andrews finally turning into another jsg I'm afraid.

always trying to keep it short and simple, but that time his level of BS required to more elaborate :D

• @stevewatson301 said:
    Andrews finally turning into another jsg I'm afraid.

that will never be possible.

• @Andrews You are free, like the rest of us, to bring up the good and bad points of a provider. You have clearly made your opinion known, and everyone seeing this offer can consider the points that you have made before purchasing from terrahost.
    Maybe it is time to let it go now.
    Wishing you and yours a happy and prosperous New Year. :)

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2022

@Moofie said:

I think the community just wants some clarification since they learned about the involvement indirectly through Rob, Epik's CEO and not from Terrahost directly.

Thanked by 1Moofie
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited January 2022

@Andrews said:

@TimboJones said:

@Andrews said:

@Moofie said:

I hate to point this out to you, I can only think about what you understand, I cannot know what you understand. Again, English isn't your first language, so you don't understand basic shit.

it happens all the time, that other people write it to you: YOU COME LATE TO THE PARTY HERE, NOT BEING AWARE WHAT IS GOING ON, WHAT IS THREAD ABOUT, AND TRYING SO HARD TO POST SOMETHING. FAST. MUCH. PRODUCING SHITSTORM OF POST UNDER POST UNDER POST...

I replied on point with quotes. Wtf are you getting on with?

last time a week ago:

@MikaelStrang said:

@TimboJones said:

@KermEd said:

@TimboJones said:

@Hotmarer said:
    @hostingsolutionssux If we ask nicely, will you provide us with our backups of virtual machines?

Sorry, but I saved very few, I didn't think anyone was still using this bad host so I removed most of it.

Speaking of which, you've made 9 posts in a row, and counting, with most of them to a disabled account

Consolidating unrelated quoted posts is stupid. But whining about scrolling just a little bit more is pretty lame.

You respond to stuff but your points get invalidated as you scroll on. You should've read everything first before replying to 100 different posts, then made a big reply to everything. LET Has drafts for a reason you know :open_mouth:

@TimboJones said: Will be very interested to know you plan on doing this. (Hint, you're a script kiddy who is full of shit). I've got some ground beef, can you make me a cow?

Also you make zero sense here. The person already proved they hacked the website. I don't know why you're trying to make them mad when they already agreed to delete it and not do anything with it. Very annoying as my data is in there and I don't want it leaked, so pipe down. You're acting younger than whoever probably hacked it.

and this evaluation of shit quality of your posts were agreed/thanked by plenty of LET members... so maybe you should finally think about it and stop being BimboJackass all the time

This is ironic, considering we're in a thread where multiple people are telling you you're being an asshole and pointlessly annoying. Whereas what you quote above essentially boiled down to consolidating posts and not ranting about an asshole that was no longer there.

back to Barbara... let me enlighten you, if you "don't think"... and didn't get what this specific post was about

1. Streisand effect tl;dr for such dummies as you: if somebody (i.e public figure/entity) tries to hide something (not convenient for them), and people get aware of this... they often OVER REACT about it

2. it is expected, that businesses inform about acquisitions, mergers, buyouts, closing, expansions etc. this is normal way of dealing with such important business events. they publish press releases, directed e-mail notification for partners and customers, informs press/media/forums etc. not tries to hide this information in that way, they some random user have to investigate it and others (i.e. direct customers of this company) find out this surprising visiting some forum.

But there was no acquisition, mergers, buyouts closing or expansion that wasn't publicly discussed on LET. The Epic deal was none of the above but invested in TH for talent and services. This is done all the time, not necessarily with press releases.

-did TH inform us on LET or their customers about EPIK thing? NO!!! did it cause great surprise here on LET? YES!!! so there you have OVER REACTING

You misunderstand point 1 and the Streisand Effect. It's not about over reaction, it's about ATTENTION. I have no clue where "over reacting" comes into this except for English translation problem by you. Edit: I can see how you could come to that conclusion from the wiki when talking about Streisand Effect being an example of psychological reactance, but that's not what Streisand Effect is by definition.

-did HS and TH informed every affected HS customer, that his client data was hand out to third party (TH), because TH acquired part of HS business??? NO!!! for weeks or month we seen here plenty of HS customers claiming that nobody contacted them about such event (for your information, GDPR requires immediate customer notification it there is change of business entity responsible for storing/processing/using protected client database). and TH still plying dumb, that they only acquired HW and customers, without acquiring HS business. so there you have OVER REACTING

What are you talking about? When HS moved clients to TH it was posted here and TH sent emails to the affected clients. There were some that didn't get contacted in error and TS said to contact them. This was open on LET, so have no fucking clue wtf you're talking about.

Talk about: "YOU COME LATE TO THE PARTY HERE, NOT BEING AWARE WHAT IS GOING ON, WHAT IS THREAD ABOUT, AND TRYING SO HARD TO POST SOMETHING. FAST. MUCH. PRODUCING SHITSTORM OF POST UNDER POST UNDER POST."

I wasn't a HS or TH customer, and even I knew this but you can read the posts of people that did and didn't get emails. The ones without receiving emails were definitely in the minority.

They were the third party right from the start of service when people ordered service, not some new/random one.

It would help if you cited specific GDPR rules so we can see the context. When googling GDPR stuff, it seems more useful reading blog posts by consultants who go through examples and real world use cases and where loopholes or limitations apply or don't. A lot of them talk about the misunderstanding people have of GDPR, for example.

and one more thing for future: if you "don't think", don't understand something etc. etc. just don't bother me about it anymore

Fuck, buddy, don't bother me anymore and we'll be fine. I was correcting your misunderstanding. Feel free to continue to be incorrect on Streisand Effect and anything else you misunderstand and embarrass yourself.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited January 2022

Big wall of text from above messages. Collapsed for brevity

@TimboJones said:

@Andrews said:

@TimboJones said:

@Andrews said:

@Moofie said:

I hate to point this out to you, I can only think about what you understand, I cannot know what you understand. Again, English isn't your first language, so you don't understand basic shit.

I replied on point with quotes. Wtf are you getting on with?

last time a week ago:

@MikaelStrang said:

@TimboJones said:

@KermEd said:

@TimboJones said:

@Hotmarer said:

This is ironic, considering we're in a thread where multiple people are telling you you're being an asshole and pointlessly annoying. Whereas what you quote above essentially boiled down to consolidating posts and not ranting about an asshole that was no longer there.

But there was no acquisition, mergers, buyouts closing or expansion that wasn't publicly discussed on LET. The Epic deal was none of the above but invested in TH for talent and services. This is done all the time, not necessarily with press releases.

You misunderstand point 1 and the Streisand Effect. It's not about over reaction, it's about ATTENTION. I have no clue where "over reacting" comes into this except for English translation problem by you. Edit: I can see how you could come to that conclusion from the wiki when talking about Streisand Effect being an example of psychological reactance, but that's not what Streisand Effect is by definition.

What are you talking about? When HS moved clients to TH it was posted here and TH sent emails to the affected clients. There were some that didn't get contacted in error and TS said to contact them. This was open on LET, so have no fucking clue wtf you're talking about.

Talk about: "YOU COME LATE TO THE PARTY HERE, NOT BEING AWARE WHAT IS GOING ON, WHAT IS THREAD ABOUT, AND TRYING SO HARD TO POST SOMETHING. FAST. MUCH. PRODUCING SHITSTORM OF POST UNDER POST UNDER POST."

I wasn't a HS or TH customer, and even I knew this but you can read the posts of people that did and didn't get emails. The ones without receiving emails were definitely in the minority.

They were the third party right from the start of service when people ordered service, not some new/random one.

It would help if you cited specific GDPR rules so we can see the context. When googling GDPR stuff, it seems more useful reading blog posts by consultants who go through examples and real world use cases and where loopholes or limitations apply or don't. A lot of them talk about the misunderstanding people have of GDPR, for example.

@TimboJones said:
    Fuck buddy, don't bother me anymore and we'll be fine. I was correcting your misunderstanding. Feel free to continue to be incorrect on Streisand Effect and anything else you misunderstand and embarrass yourself.

The position of the comma seems to suggest @Andrews and @TimboJones are fuck buddies.
    So is the above conversation and wall of text about providers or is it a tiff between FB's?

The position of the comma changes the context quite a bit !

• @vyas11 said:
    The position of the comma seems to suggest @Andrews and @TimboJones are fuck buddies.
    So is the above conversation and wall of text about providers or is it a tiff between FB's?

first, I am super straight, so not interested in guys, which BimboJackass (pretending?) is, and second I can't stand monumental idiots...

so, no way!!! :D

Thanked by 1vyas11
    edited January 2022

@Andrews said:

@TimboJones said:

@Andrews said:
    man do not drink and post anymore

FYI, because you're not English first language, between your typo's and poor grammar, it's actually your posts that look drunk, not jar's. His posts are 100% easy to read and understand.

Are you even a GDPR expert? A quick look at GDPR rules looks like they have an argument for continuing performance of a contract, much different than selling a database without ongoing services.

I am not commenting your Canadian redneck's slang,

Which was?

so if you can't handle mine poor English on international forum, than just be a man and use userscript for blocking post from specific user (which is floating around here) instead of crying about it all the time like little girl, and do not bother me anymore about typos, commas, grammar nazi...

Hello, McFly?!?! I'm telling you that you're doing a shit job on an English international forum and you need to know you're doing a shit job. It's incredulous that you don't realize this. What a shit ego you have.

if jar in his first sentence is claiming "Hey you violated the law." when I am asking about how come that TH acquired protected client data without acquiring HS business...

Then cite a specific law.

if jar in next sentences is claiming that asking such question is being a douchebag because it will cause him/provider to hire expensive lawyer for GDPR matters to write simple answer...
    etc. etc.
    than yes: I CALL HIS POST A PURE DRUNKS BULLSHIT, as he/provider should be aware of such absolute basic GDPR requirements/regulations or hire such layer months ago when that performed whole magical customer data transfer from HS to TH took place, and now many LET members are asking valid questions about it

I think the point is that you're an annoying hassle and not helpful or even useful. You don't cite the laws and regulations and just make a claim based on your (mis)understanding. Jar just did the same thing to you as you're doing. That's irony and was meant to be obvious to show you how you're coming across.

So I'll just end with, whoosh.

Thanked by 3jar skorous bulbasaur
    edited January 2022

@vyas11 said:

Annndd fixed.

• @MannDude said:

@Moofie said:

I think the community just wants some clarification since they learned about the involvement indirectly through Rob, Epik's CEO and not from Terrahost directly.

The involvement of Epik is clearly concerning to a lot of people and, as hinted by @MannDude, finding out from Epik not from Terrahost raises — at least for me — some red flags. It comes across as Terrahost knowing it would be non-ideal PR so they kept it secret (Norway is lacking in corporate transparency which maybe Terrahost were hoping would be in their favor), but they also don't fully understand who Rob Monster is and did not realize beans were going to be spilled.

As I said in another thread, I'm not going to outright cancel my services with Terrahost but neither am I going to renew once alternatives have been established, nor am I going to take them up on this offer, even if it's very attractive on the surface.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. Happy to hear what @terrahost have to say on the manner, or if they will continue to avoid addressing the topic in a meaningful way.

Thanked by 2pbx zed
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2022

@TimboJones said:

I disagree. The name is specifically for not expecting bandwidth limits and overage charges. There shouldn't be any performance expectations without that specifically having an SLA. At least in commercial contracts a local Telco uses for DSL service.

The word "dedicated" is what is required to expect "that you have the full speed when you need it".

I see where you're coming from but I don't exactly agree either.

I wrote that dedicated is different from just having a 1Gbit port speed. Your server's hooked up to a 1 Gbit line. They give you access to it at a full 1 Gbit level. But you also have neighbors who are also using the same 1 Gbit line. The expectation here is that while you're never "fully" going to get the Gigabit speed on a regular basis, the expectation is that if you have a spike in traffic or network usage, you can use up to the full gigabit but please be under that for regular usage (to not bother your neighbors).

However, with the change in how most VM providers are now attaching 10 Gbit lines to their servers, the expectation is more "you're limited to 1 gbit, but don't abuse it". That's why we see more speedtest benchmarks hitting around 1 Gbit or so. It really does depend on the flavors (or the structure) each host has.

Although I think the definition is different from what's used for Telcos. I mean even a while back I had a 1Gbit port but a commit of like 100 Mbit on the 95th percentile or something of that sorts. But this is LET and from my experience, 1 Gbit unmetered is usually what I just described above. Granted you don't expect full gigabit all the time, but if the capacity is there and you need it (like your site hit reddit or something) then you have the network.

@vyas11 said: The position of the comma seems to suggest Andrews and TimboJones are fuck buddies.

Haha I just didn't read it. It's a tldr.

• Ahh! This is why I browse let at 1:30 am, while minding private business on my “white throne”.

• @seriesn no plans for new year deals?

• @BarkingIron said:
    @seriesn no plans for new year deals?

Bad thread to ask for it boss :(
    But yeah “maybe” something this week. Not sure yet. Inventory flow has been a bit rough lately :(

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@seriesn said:
    But yeah “maybe” something this week. Not sure yet. Inventory flow has been a bit rough lately :(

So rough that my service is cancelled :(

• @seriesn said:

@BarkingIron said:
    @seriesn no plans for new year deals?

Stop posting white throne, inventory flow and bit rough in same conversation.

Thanked by 2FrankZ TimboJones
  • pbxpbx Member

@MannDude said: I think the community just wants some clarification since they learned about the involvement indirectly through Rob, Epik's CEO and not from Terrahost directly.

Exactly

• @FAT32 said:

@seriesn said:

🤯

• @terrahost - Any ETA on that migration from HostSolutions?

• @FAT32 said:

@seriesn said:

0.0 :/

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

@default said:
    @terrahost - Any ETA on that migration from HostSolutions?

We've migrated about 80% of the storage VMs. Should complete within a day or two.

The VMs recoverable on the SSD node has been restored. Others have been recreated on our new Ryzen 5950X cluster. Migrations of the SSD VMs should start very soon and is expected to go faster due to the smaller sizes of the VMs.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@terrahost said:
    We've migrated about 80% of the storage VMs. Should complete within a day or two.

The VMs recoverable on the SSD node has been restored. Others have been recreated on our new Ryzen 5950X cluster. Migrations of the SSD VMs should start very soon and is expected to go faster due to the smaller sizes of the VMs.

Any bankrupt deals from HS that you can do again? :tongue:

• afnafn Member
    edited January 2022

@frog said: Well, it would be wise to write: 1Gbps unmetered servers are not under a fair usage policy in your advertising instead of in post answers.

wtf? nobody defines things by what they are not. You define things by what they are.

So if it is "1gbps unmetered" then it is 1gbps unmetered. That is it. The clause clearly mentions limitation on 10gbps, and do do not mention anything on 1gbps.

You just seem to like complaining, regardless if your point is valid or not.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@HalfEatenPie said:
    Let's all relax.

Agreed. But I find it strange that @terrahost seems to simply ignore certain epik related questions. There is a major difference between "> 80% of terrahost has been taken over by epik" and "oh well, epik purchased about 15% of terrahost".

So, terrahost, again: What percentage of terrahost has been sold to epik?

Thanked by 1pbx
  • terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

@jsg said:

@HalfEatenPie said:
    Let's all relax.

Agreed. But I find it strange that @terrahost seems to simply ignore certain epik related questions. There is a major difference between "> 80% of terrahost has been taken over by epik" and "oh well, epik purchased about 15% of terrahost".

So, terrahost, again: What percentage of terrahost has been sold to epik?

A statement regarding this will be made available soon.