Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am in love with this new macbook - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I am in love with this new macbook

2»

Comments

• @nonuby I like big screens and I have own macbooks in the past. They're not worth the money. Lucky for me I almost always got my money back, but I won't buy one ever again. The batteries that Apple puts in those Macbooks aren't that great either, and they usually tend to die faster than what you'll find on your average laptop. Ah, who cares, I like what I like :D

• nonuby said: Not really a fair comparison. At 17" you've lost portability - apple dont even consider 17" a laptop no more, also I highly doubt you get 8hrs built-in battery life, and that got be a few kilos in weight too?

Considering this is 2013, you can find power outlets everywhere.
    There are a lot of better alternatives to any apple product.

Thanked by 1marcm
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2013

Why does it need to compete or need an alternative? Just let the guy be happy with buying what he wants, don't be the "hi I'm a PC and I'll follow you like a pretentious douchebag telling you why what I like is better" guy.

• I wish Steve Jobs was still around! After his passing all I see is the same product either resized or renamed.. and iOS7 on the ipad looks horrible!

• x0054x0054 Member
    edited December 2013

duckeeyuck said: Considering this is 2013, you can find power outlets everywhere. There are a lot of better alternatives to any apple product.

How about airports? Unless you are willing to congregate with a bunch of other people around those outlet trees, outlets are not readily available. Most airplanes, libraries, coffee shops, and parks do not have easily available outlets. Point is, for some people, like me for instance, good battery life and lightness are way more important than raw speed or ram size. For other people this is not the case. To each his own, right?

Apple or not, some people care about things you may not. You can also go around telling Ferrari owners that they can get a much better bang for their buck driving a Corvette, and considering the speed limits in most countries, they might as well get a much cheeper, roomier, more practical, and more economical Toyota Corolla. Again, to each his own, jesus, why cant people just be happy that someone got something they really like, and just leave it be.

• earl said: I wish Steve Jobs was still around! After his passing all I see is the same product either resized or renamed.. and iOS7 on the ipad looks horrible!

I have to agree! To me it actually looks fine, but it's so buggy. I do believe that the release would have been pushed back until they can fix the bugs, had Jobs been alive. My dad has purchased the iPad recently to read PDFs. He can not get through more than 10 pages on a PDF files without the app crashing. And he has tried almost every PDF app in the App Store. Same PDF files open just fine on my iPAD with iOS 6.1.2. The PDF files are very complex scientific publications and I do think they are crashing due to memory leaks. I think iOS 7.1 should fix all that though.

In any case, you have to give them at least another year before you put a stake into Apples hart :) Give them a chance, they are claiming that they will release several brand new products in 2014. If it's going to be iPad Maxi and an iWatch, then indeed, they are dead. Time will tell.

Thanked by 1earl
  • duckeeyuck said: What experience? If you want the DE you can configure kde to behave close to the same. Better/worse depending on what bothers you.

Yes, I'm actually on a move away from Windows and a lot of other services personally. Will be installing Debian on my main rig soon and yes, I'll be using KDE ;)

• The floating point single core score was 3237 ;) nice one ... touche' apple touche' hahaha

• BTW, it's actually 3396/13490 at 64bit. Just an FWI.

• emgemg Veteran

@x0054 said:
    How about airports? Unless you are willing to congregate with a bunch of other people around those outlet trees, outlets are not readily available. Most airplanes, libraries, coffee shops, and parks do not have easily available outlets. Point is, for some people, like me for instance, good battery life and lightness are way more important than raw speed or ram size. For other people this is not the case. To each his own, right?

I was surprised at the variety and number of courtesy public outlets and workdesks available at several airports on my last business trip a couple weeks ago. Times have changed a lot. (I would never plug into one of those USB charging outlets, however.)

You're right about "To each his own" - I carry a 17 inch laptop with an extra battery pack. They don't make 'em any more. I don't mind the size and weight. It is more of a "portable desktop" than a real laptop, but it serves my needs well.

• Retina is good, but expensive (specially when you need to pay taxes in importation process).
    I have a Macbook pro. No problem with it since 2006 (Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz).
    I need to use with Win XP because I need to use a few softwares I can not find in Mac OS.

• DragonDF said: I need to use with Win XP because I need to use a few softwares I can not find in Mac OS.

I had the same issue. I need some scientific programs that only run on Windows. Wine works really well for about 50% of them, the rest work good in VMware Fusion. But I highly recommend taking a look at Wine, it works on any *NIX system, and gives you a lot of the Windows APIs. In fact my favorite program for flipping through a large amount of photos (for research) is still ACDSee 3 under Wine. I know ACDSee is available for Mac, but I have yet to find a program on Mac, Windows, or Linux, that can flip through photos as fast as ACDSee 3.