Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Authy, Aegis, Google/MS Authenticator, AndOTP, Bitwarden - What do you use for 2FA OTP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Authy, Aegis, Google/MS Authenticator, AndOTP, Bitwarden - What do you use for 2FA OTP?

What tool do you use for 2FA OTP? I thought about using Enpass since it is also my pw manager but having passwords and OTP in the same boat seems a bit unnecessary, so looking for alternatives :)

Comments

• xetsysxetsys Member
    edited December 2021

Google authenticator. But I have wanted to checkout Authy since it allows easy restore in case you lose your phone.

Thanked by 2Ympker ascicode
  • Authy - works well, but to be honest I've not tried anything else.

Thanked by 3Ympker Astro ascicode
  • Using Authy here, recently switched from Google auth to Authy because of the lack of backup, in case losing your phone.
    Both worked great, wouldn't recommend having password and OTP on same platform

• Microsoft Authenticator with iCloud sync

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Aegis since it's FOSS. Have some work related stuff on Authy, but planing to move them to Aegis as well.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Authy + andOTP. I do manual backups of andOTP regularly, but use Authy for convenience sake since I can use Authy Desktop as well.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Self-Hosted Bitwarden, balance with convience and security.

• WinAuth as it handles Battle.net and Steam as well as other services locked to my Yubikey

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Live on the edge with no 2FA, or email/SMS 2FA

• Authy - seems the most seamless but not very happy about the closed source

• edited December 2021

Nobody mentions oath-toolkit? It's free and opensource. You can get a 2FA code easily by
    $ oathtool --totp -b 0123456789abcdef
    No need to seek the smart phone every time inputting a 2FA code, but protect your keys carefully.

• Authy, but considering switching to YubiKey for some of my accounts for increased security.

• Always used google Auth but stopped since you couldn’t easily transfer to a new device then switched to Authy, now you can import to google Auth I now use both 🤣

• KeePassXC and KeePassDX. If you're caring about getting your password database synced, just use Syncthing.

• Authy because of cross platform support.

• I use aegis. For those who use authy - watch this video

Thanked by 2mrTom stoned
  • Using andOTP, love its simplicity but it's not cross platform and as far as I know it doesn't support syncing between multiple devices.
    I could use Bitwarden for 2FA too but I'd rather not use the same app for both passwords and 2FA.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Authy is good, Google was my last one and I wasn't too impressed.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Use pen and paper.

Thanked by 1default
  • YubiKey (Yubico Authenticator) since I have a hardware key for work anyway. But still use Aegis on phone as backup for less important sites.

When Aegis was my primary TOTP, its simple (encrypted) backup and restore allowed me to easily keep a manually synced backup copy on a stay at home tablet in case I mislaid my phone.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

I use Authy on both my notebook and phone.

• Bitwarden with Aegis.

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

Combination of:

• AuthenticatorPro for OTP Android/Android Wear
    • Bitwarden
    • ATKey.Card for hardware key (very expensive, but I've found worth it for the most part. The fingerprint sensor isn't the best though)
  • YubiKey with GPG SSH, and WebAuthn most of the time, backup code in OTP on mobile.

• @morreke said:
    Using Authy here, recently switched from Google auth to Authy because of the lack of backup, in case losing your phone.
    Both worked great, wouldn't recommend having password and OTP on same platform

Still using google here, on android you can back it up if you have root, which was fine for me for years, and recently they added export/import accounts and it doesn't wipe the original, so I exported to my new phone and left the accounts on my old phone too, storing it in my fire safe. I was considering switching to authy when I switched to iOS because iOS didn't have an import function yet, but it got added before I had the energy to deal with it.

Thanked by 1morreke
  • Yubikey

• I use Authenticator Pro. Another FOSS option that works on Wear OS.

• Bitwarden Premium. Well worth the 10 bucks a year.

• @dosai said:
    I use aegis. For those who use authy - watch this video

I... I'm using Authy.
    Love the fact I can make it work on several computers, without hassle. In case my phone is broken, or I don't like using it (always :) ).

I always save backup codes in case I need to access without a 2FA, in order to disable it, and then use with another app.

It should be safe enough in combination with KeePass stored strong passwords.

• Been using Authy since 2014/2015. Nothing bad to say, also very nice backup function and very easy to setup whenever I switch phones.