Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostSolutions hacked? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostSolutions hacked?

Comments

• @Andrews said:

@dahartigan said:
    I just got the email too.

Here's the full DB columns:

"firstname"..."lastname"..."address1"..."address2"..."city"..."state"..."postcode"..."country"..."cardtype"..."cardlastfour"..."cardnum"..."expdate"

CC details on file...

Yeah, anyone with CC details on file are in trouble.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2021

@Andrews said:

@dahartigan said:
    I just got the email too.

Here's the full DB columns:

"firstname"..."lastname"..."address1"..."address2"..."city"..."state"..."postcode"..."country"..."cardtype"..."cardlastfour"..."cardnum"..."expdate"

CC details on file...

Not necessarily populated fully. Not all columns are used by all companies.

• Welp, there goes my email address... Can't wait for "Have I Been Pwned" email notification, and a bunch of spam mails after that. Merry Christmas to me!

Thanked by 2tux Demindiro
  • Got it too. @jsg - what is your opinion from a security perspective? Did you get it too?

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

yes , same

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited December 2021

So many accounts. So many email addresses exposed. This is a huge mess, just when I thought 2021 was going to end.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
  • @default said:
    So many accounts. So many email addresses exposed. This is a huge mess.

"3000"

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@default said:
    Got it too. @jsg - what is your opinion from a security perspective? Did you get it too?

No, AFAIK I didn't get that email.

As for "security perspective": You are very lucky if you get some sakkurity with WHMCS and the other PHP and javascript crap and that's not HS specific.

Potential plot twist: Hacked? Indeed? Have any evidence? People under immense pressure are known to do strange things, things one should never do, things like "losing a customer DB or parts of it" and, pure coincidence of course, finding some money in their pockets a bit later.

Thanked by 1default
    edited December 2021

The only confirmation we have is someone saying the password hash matches their pass, right? Or did I misread?

The password hash is based on a salt in the configuration.php file so how could one know?

Devil's advocate: There are many ways to fake things like this by knowing the names of the columns and using info from other DB leaks and/or just basic searching. It's a really good way to hurt a provider because people read the sensational stories, never the retraction.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • mrl22mrl22 Member
    edited December 2021

Def a legit whmcs tblclients table leak. I bet the client notes column will be quite interesting. Mine says “a fuck chargeback”. Long time ago now but if I remember I placed an order which they did not provide. Didn’t answer my ticket so I opened a PayPal dispute. They quickly accepted the dispute but tried to let people know on the group I was a scammer and something along the lines that “I do it to their friends hosting companies to get free services”

Thanked by 1dystopia
  • I had vm with hostsolutions. but cancelled and refunded by paypal through pp dispute.
    still not received this hack-mail.
    hope my account info is been deleted by cociu?? I Had only my pp id, name and address there.

• "about a month ago".
    That explains why their site wasn't functional I guess. I'm not sure why people are surprised. L

Anyway, I hope you guys didn't really re-use passwords across sites, even if it's just hashed passwords, and I hope for the best with those who directly used their CC.

2021 is a meme.

• My email is still on it's way or gmail blocked it.

• @jar said:
    The only confirmation we have is someone saying the password hash matches their pass, right? Or did I misread?

The password hash is based on a salt in the configuration.php file so how could one know?

Devil's advocate: There are many ways to fake things like this by knowing the names of the columns and using info from other DB leaks and/or just basic searching.

Could you verify this if I post here both the hash they put in the email and my password? (Its a auto generated password only used for HS so I'm not risking myself there)

• Maybe the hacker is cociu self, so that he can not hornor account credits

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

Devil's advocate: There are many ways to fake things like this by knowing the names of the columns and using info from other DB leaks and/or just basic searching.

Could you verify this if I post here both the hash they put in the email and my password? (Its a auto generated password only used for HS so I'm not risking myself there)

Not without the salt in configuration.php.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • I hoped Marius might revive the brand, but as it stands, the value of company is now: 0 (zero).

Thanked by 2dahartigan msallak1
  • @jar said:

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

If that's confirmed the case (salt indeed in config php) then how the fuck did OP confirm his password against the hash?

I take it you aren't a HS customer @jar, but I trust you enough that I'm willing to forward the email to you (or whatever you'd prefer) so you can do your forensic email stuff on it lol - hit me on on a PM if you're interested.

Thanked by 1jar
  • echo "YOUR-PASSWORD" > w
    echo "PASSWORD-HASH" > hash
    john --wordlist=w hash
    john --show hash

Confirm the password in the email is the one I use for hostsolutions.

Thanked by 1k4zz
  • Can anyone confirm? How are passwords of servers (root) stored in WHMCS? Are they in clear?

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

If that's confirmed the case (salt indeed in config php) then how the fuck did OP confirm his password against the hash?

I take it you aren't a HS customer @jar, but I trust you enough that I'm willing to forward the email to you (or whatever you'd prefer) so you can do your forensic email stuff on it lol - hit me on on a PM if you're interested.

I was for a short time long ago. I don't recall what email I even used.

I don't think having all of it would give me any more insight right now. I'm familiar with people trying to fake database leaks and that's why I'm a bit reluctant to reach a conclusion thus far.

• mrl22mrl22 Member
    edited December 2021

@dahartigan said:

It is common practice with most secure apps and being a whmcs plugin developer myself. You encrypt the password with a key(salt) and the salt is stored away from and in a different medium to where the salted password is stored. If your password is in a database then your salt gets stored in a file somewhere else. In whmcs case, salted password in the database and salt in the configuration file. Done right.

Whmcs does have floors though such as a copy of every email sent is stored unencrypted in the tblemails database table, this includes welcome emails containing passwords.

@default said:
    Can anyone confirm? How are passwords of servers (root) stored in WHMCS? Are they in clear?

Hashed based on salt in configuration.php. I once forgot to carry over the salt and screwed up passwords for everyone. Maybe not every password field uses the salt though, modules do all kinds of things.

• It also shows the amount of "credit" that someone of us were unfortunately enough to have. That number is accurate on mine.

Thanked by 2JasonM tux
  • Hacked by cociu

Thanked by 1JasonM

@dirtminer said:
    It also shows the amount of "credit" that someone of us were unfortunately enough to have. That number is accurate on mine.

That would indeed server as an acceptable confirmation.

• It's definitely a real leak, they also list the last IP used and it matches my VPN IP.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited December 2021

I confirm my password on decryption.
    I confirm my email address.
    I confirm my IP.

This is a real leak!

Also an update from me since I had so many thoughts. I now know what email I used back then. I'm no longer skeptical.

Thanked by 2bikegremlin Falzo