Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

50% OFF One-Time Payment Minecraft Gameserver from established Game Server Company - From 50€
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

50% OFF One-Time Payment Minecraft Gameserver from established Game Server Company - From 50€

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited December 2021 in General

Most people who host a Minecraft server here will probably run their own VPS, however as a LTD hoarder, I didn't want to pass this up.

ZAP-Hosting is putting their Lifetime Minecraft Server on sale again. You currently get 50% OFF with code "Lifetime2021". ZAP-Hosting is a long established German Gameserver Company and, among other games, offers Minecraft servers. Minecraft is currently the only game where they offer lifetime gameservers and while they are not known to be the best gameserver company out there, I would say they are solid enough.
Previously, I hosted the Minecraft Server for the gf and myself for around 15€/year at Aquatis.Host but will now move that one to ZAP-Hosting. Picked up the cheapest option with 2GB RAM and PaperSpigot. Runs fine on 1GB on Aquatis, so 2GB should even boost it a little. There are also various locations you can choose from.

More RAM can be still purchased AFTER you bought the product (for a one-time fee). More Modpacks can also be added for 30€ each iirc. You can (probably) also just upload the jar yourself afaik. For me, PaperSpigot is enough.

Some screenshots:

With 50% OFF comes to 50€.

Thanked by 2kalimov622 Logano

Comments

• I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2021

@dedipromo said:
    I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info.

Don't think you can go wrong here. They are in business since at least 2010. I know their name since I started hosting Minecraft Servers as a kid many years back. They are established long enough for me to trust them with 50€.

Update: First experience with support was good. They have Live Chat support and I quickly got to 2nd level Support who solved my issue within minutes :) Will post about server performance later.

They also seem to have a Discord (with support channels) that is quite active :)

Germany location seems to be on ASN 30823.

The Gameserver Panel is very intuitive and easy to use.

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • But I'm not even playing Minecraft, yet I did have a server years ago and you always post these tempting offers. Decisions, decisions...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @kalimov622 said:
    But I'm not even playing Minecraft, yet I did have a server years ago and you always post these tempting offers. Decisions, decisions...

I am thinking really long-term here but maybe one day, even my kids will enjoy it :)
    For now it's one less recurring bill the gf and myself need to pay and we very much prefer paying a bit more upfront for peace of mind. You can even just get the 2GB RAM plan and later upgrade the RAM for a one-time payment if you need more. It seems 2GB is sufficient just for the two of us.

Thanked by 1kalimov622
  • why do they advertise dutch location in eygelshoven as "frankfurt am main" ?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Thanks! Bought to play with my kids as I figure keeping my spare desktop on all the time will eat more electricity than $90 "lifetime" plus be a hassle to manage when parts die.
    Right now we are all dependent on a single public (but awesome) server, The Sandlot.

I paid extra for L.A. and dedicated IP, that's why it's $90.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • BTW the EUR->USD exchange rate on the website is slightly off. Website said $86-something but Paypal said $89.99. Not a big deal, though. If my server is up for 2 years, I'll be happy, as that'll be $3.75/mo. on the Psychz network which I think is pretty decent.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2021

@Jio said:
    why do they advertise dutch location in eygelshoven as "frankfurt am main" ?

That is a very good question. For a second I feared that I picked NL location (although this wouldn't be that bad either; previous server was in US lol). KeyCDN global ping shows 5ms from FFM to server ip and 23ms from Amsterdam. Seems to be FFM location.

@Logano said:
    Thanks! Bought to play with my kids as I figure keeping my spare desktop on all the time will eat more electricity than $90 "lifetime" plus be a hassle to manage when parts die.
    Right now we are all dependent on a single public (but awesome) server, The Sandlot.

I paid extra for L.A. and dedicated IP, that's why it's $90.

You are very welcome mate :) Yeah, I also figured it was more convenient than having a homeserver/pc running all the time for MC. Also the public IP makes playing together online way easier (my isp doesnt provide one, so Id need a 6to4 work around). Did you also pick the 2GB RAM? Server has been snappy for us so far (2 players). Recommended RAM for Paper Spigot says 6GB, but so far the 2GB are doing the job (previous host was 1GB only and still worked). Still on Paper 1.15.2 though, as this was the previous servers location. Some people in Paper Spigot Discord were saying that as of Paper v1.18.x, due to new java version, I would need at least 4GB, but I haven't tried that yet. Although, I still think 2GB for 2 ppl will be sufficient. I checked several Minecraft hosts and most offer some 4-5 slots on their cheapest plan and only come with 1-2GB RAM, so it likely still works. We don't use any plugins either. @MikeA is also a very long established MC host and on ExtraVM's website it also seems that 1-2GB should be enough for 2-5 players. If, at some point, it starts to lag, we will just upgrade for a one-time fee.

Edit: The Sandlot seems like a cool project.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • Where to put the promotional code ? also I am in Indonesia, why the singapore ping is higher than germany ?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2021

@yokowasis said:
    Where to put the promotional code ? also I am in Indonesia, why the singapore ping is higher than germany ?

Once you select a payment method at the bottom of the page (e.g. Paypal), there is smth like "Enter coupon". Then the price will be adapted. Don't proceed to PayPal Page before entering the coupon.
    Cuz Germany is prem jk <33
    Actually I don't know why it is higher, sorry mate :/ Routing, perhaps?

Thanked by 1Logano
  • They said their server is on OVH. I have used OVH Singapore before, the ping is low. What is their refund policy ? I would like to bite the bullet. And if it's indeed very high ping, I want to request a refund.

Thanked by 2Ympker Logano
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2021

@dedipromo @Logano @yokowasis make sure to enable your server backups in the control panel. They were turned off by default for me. You can set it to daily or weekly and also delete oldest backup. You get 10GB of free backup space where the backups are stored on an (external?) backup server with a different IP and different FTP account than your main server. You can restore with one click :)

@yokowasis said:
    They said their server is on OVH. I have used OVH Singapore before, the ping is low. What is their refund policy ? I would like to bite the bullet. And if it's indeed very high ping, I want to request a refund.

Hmm. If Germany yields better ping you might as well just pick that one (fwiw, my previous mc server with Aquatis was in the US and I am in Germany)? Generally, in Germany we have the 14 days Widerrufsrecht, but prepaid hosts like ZAP, Nitrado and others are a bit different in that regard and I am not sure you can refund. Best would be to ask livechat or write an email to enquire about this directly with them. Just to be safe :)

Thanked by 1Logano
  • @yokowasis said:
    Where to put the promotional code ? also I am in Indonesia, why the singapore ping is higher than germany ?

Are you using Telkom? Their Singapore location is on the OVH network.

• Germany location is also one of the locations that shows "Premium DDOS Protection" (SG shows Standard DDOS Protection) and somewhere it is written "DDOS Manager Panel only in FFM" (it only shows it you select that you want own ip, I think). Not sure what this DDOS Manager Panel is. Will have to take a look.

• @Ympker said:
    Did you also pick the 2GB RAM? Server has been snappy for us so far (2 players).

Yup, I picked 2GB RAM as it's just me and my 2 kids (wife doesn't understand why we like games lol). I don't really know what Spigot or ANYTHING is, really. I just picked Fabric because I put Sodium on all our machines for the FPS boost. The Sandlot doesn't allow any mods so I've never bothered to explore.

Yes, I love the place! Very kid-safe with lots of moderators around. I have no idea what other public MC servers are like, but with maybe 50 hours under my belt there, I'm fine letting my kids play without direct supervision. I tell them not to break the rules or we'll get banned forever, so they keep to the rules, same as all the other kids (and adults). :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2021

@Logano said:

@Ympker said:
    Did you also pick the 2GB RAM? Server has been snappy for us so far (2 players).

Yup, I picked 2GB RAM as it's just me and my 2 kids (wife doesn't understand why we like games lol). I don't really know what Spigot or ANYTHING is, really. I just picked Fabric because I put Sodium on all our machines for the FPS boost. The Sandlot doesn't allow any mods so I've never bothered to explore.

Nice! You tell me haha :D I just had to look up what Fabric was. I started playing Minecraft a lot as a kid and I grew up with Bukkit and Tekkit, however when I returned to casually playing MC with the gf some 2 years ago, I am definitely not up to date anymore. Since we don't use plugins/mods and it seems most Minecraft communities and hosts state that Vanilla Minecraft is "unstable/bugged", I picked Paper Spigot, which apparently is a more light-weight version if Spigot which is a Bukkit fork(?!). Oh, well.. just know that I use Paper Spigot. Don't ask the details :D

Fwiw some info I found from Zap:

https://zap-hosting.com/en/minecraft-fabric-server-hosting/

https://zap-hosting.com/en/paper-spigot-server-hosting/

Yes, I love the place! Very kid-safe with lots of moderators around. I have no idea what other public MC servers are like, but with maybe 50 hours under my belt there, I'm fine letting my kids play without direct supervision. I tell them not to break the rules or we'll get banned forever, so they keep to the rules, same as all the other kids (and adults). :)

Sounds like I would have loved this place as a kid! :) Active mods are definitely important on kids servers! Good to know you found a safe place previously. Now, on to your new adventure :)

Thanked by 1Logano
  • LoganoLogano Member
    edited December 2021

@yokowasis said:
    They said their server is on OVH. I have used OVH Singapore before, the ping is low. What is their refund policy ? I would like to bite the bullet. And if it's indeed very high ping, I want to request a refund.

Use WinMTR, see if your traffic is bouncing back from L.A. or something.

Then maybe ask Zap Hosting or your ISP to fix the route?
    Ramnode did that for me once, although it got ruined again because my ISP changed something.

Edit:
    I am 4,844km from Singapore and have 358ms ping, 9,604km from L.A. with 125ms ping. This happens a lot with my ISP.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @yokowasis the german IP they gave me pings 176ms to Singapore. Not sure where exactly you are located but maybe that helps :)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Read the TOS, if you don't use it for a while, its gone.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • @Neoon said:

Would have to double check but while they had this 6 month rule in the past, I somewhere read that it was removed. When I skimmed the german ToS for "lifetime" "6" and "inactive" (in german ofc) yesterday, I did not find anything that suggests the product would be terminated.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Ympker said:

@Neoon said:

Would have to double check but while they had this 6 month rule in the past, I somewhere read that it was removed. When I skimmed the german ToS for "lifetime" "6" and "inactive" (in german ofc) yesterday, I did not find anything that suggests the product would be terminated.

Could be that they changed it.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2021

@Neoon said:

@Ympker said:

@Neoon said:

Could be that they changed it.

Iirc there was a public outcry and they changed it. Opened a ticket just now and will post the reply later.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2021

@Logano @yokowasis @dedipromo @Neoon

Reply just came in (translated):

Hi Ympker,

Thank you for your request. I don't know of any rule that would delete servers in case of inactivity.

If you have any further questions or problems, we look forward to your feedback.

Best regards,

It seems to be like I assumed. They removed that inactivity rule.

Btw. support tickets apparently have 3 minutes avg reply, which is also very nice (there's also live chat, but sometimes I prefer a ticket). Ticket was replied in exactly 3 minutes (opened 9:28, replied at 9:31).

Original inquiry (german version):

Thanked by 2Logano kalimov622
  • Minecraft noob here. Which version of Minecraft server should I choose? Vanilla, Forge etc etc. I rarely play but my son does so thinking about buying a server but not sure which version to buy and what kind of spec I should choose. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2021

@arifur said:
    Minecraft noob here. Which version of Minecraft server should I choose? Vanilla, Forge etc etc. I rarely play but my son does so thinking about buying a server but not sure which version to buy and what kind of spec I should choose. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Hey there,
    sorry but I am a noob myself. Perhaps, @Logano knows a bit more than me? @MasonR also hosts gameservers iirc, not sure though if also MC? If you want to play without mods/plugins it seems (from the little research I have conducted) that Paper Spigot/Paper MC is the way to go. It is apparently a more light-weight and performance oriented version of Spigot and more stable than the buggy/laggy Vanilla MC. Perhaps you could ask ZAP Hosting Live Chat for help finding the ideal version for you. You can also select one of the minecraft packages and then click on the "question mark" sign next to it, to find out more about that version:

First select one of the versions that is of interest to you from the list:

then, on the newly opened page, click on the question mark symbol to find out more about it:

SpigotMC also has a summary (probably a bit biased):

https://www.spigotmc.org/wiki/what-is-spigot-craftbukkit-bukkit-vanilla-forg/

Thanked by 2Logano arifur
  • @Ympker said:
    Perhaps, @Logano knows

Sorry, way underqualified here, lol. I am a noob trying to figure out how to whitelist our accounts. I'm going to need to do a lot of Googling tonight.

Thanked by 2Ympker arifur
  • KuKluxKlabKuKluxKlab Member
    edited December 2021

The concept is interesting, but what do people think when buying these? The way you have to pre-select a modpack doesn't sit right with me. The English also doesn't make sense.

Our lifetime servers offer you the possibility to get a permanent server for a one-time sum.
    The server is provided and hosted directly by us and must be paid only once instead of monthly.
    Our purchase server offers include all Minecraft modpacks we offer.
    You can unlock modpacks for a one-time 30 EUR lifetime and upload your desired modpack to the server yourself for free.

What does it mean to include all Minecraft modpacks they offer? Is a purchase server offer different than a lifetime server offer? Wouldn't allowing me to upload my own modpack defeat the purpose of charging 30 euros per modpack?

Thanked by 1Logano
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2021

@Logano said:

@Ympker said:
    Perhaps, @Logano knows

Sorry, way underqualified here, lol. I am a noob trying to figure out how to whitelist our accounts. I'm going to need to do a lot of Googling tonight.

Hope this helps: https://zap-hosting.com/guides/docs/en/minecraft_whitelist/

I just edited the whitelist file on the FTP server :) Also make sure to activate whitelist in the settings first (Dashboard --> Select your server --> menu on the left "Settings" look for "Whitelist" and then "enable" and "enforce" it :)

In case anyone wants to upgrade their RAM, I just checked what happens if I click on "Upgrade-Downgrade button". I added 1 GB RAM and at first was confused why it said 64€ for 1 GB RAM. Support was quick to help and told me only the "Aufpreis" is relevant. He crossed out all irrelevant pricing tags during the upgrade process, so maybe this helps one of you guys when upgrading:

Fwiw, I didnt upgrade yet as the server is running smoothly. Just wanted to check out my options.

Thanked by 2Logano kalimov622
  • @KuKluxKlab said:
    The concept is interesting, but what do people think when buying these? The way you have to pre-select a modpack doesn't sit right with me. The English also doesn't make sense.

Our lifetime servers offer you the possibility to get a permanent server for a one-time sum.
    The server is provided and hosted directly by us and must be paid only once instead of monthly.
    Our purchase server offers include all Minecraft modpacks we offer.
    You can unlock modpacks for a one-time 30 EUR lifetime and upload your desired modpack to the server yourself for free.

What does it mean to include all Minecraft modpacks they offer? Is a purchase server offer different than a lifetime server offer? Wouldn't allowing me to upload my own modpack defeat the purpose of charging 30 euros per modpack?

Lifetime and purchase server should be the same I think. Best is to ask their live chat or pop a ticket/email to clarify :) I think you buy modpacks such as PaperMC once and then can use it forever. If you buy another modpack you can switch in between. You can also somehow upload your own modpack for free, but I am too much a noob at MC to really be able to comment on that.

• Sweet! That took 30 seconds via console.

Thanked by 1Ympker
This discussion has been closed.