Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostHatch How To Remove Windows ISO
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostHatch How To Remove Windows ISO

spunspun Member
edited December 2021 in General

I've had this account for about a year now. Been using it since it was provisioned. Works great, no complaints on that end.

I uploaded a Windows ISO that was about 5GB (5.28GB according to my computer). I've removed it through their control panel but my VPS seems to have 5GB missing. It shows the proper total disk space inside of Windows but there is 5GB that are unaccounted for which just happens to be the more or less the size of the ISO that I deleted. Is there anyway for me to reclaim this space?

I've already asked support but they say the ISO's don't count against disk space, I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Here's a screenshot of what Windows says on the bottom and on the top the disk space on a partition manager:

Comments

• ehabehab Member
    edited December 2021

did you mount some other small linux distro like alpine and see if sized freed up?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Right click Start button, select Computer Management menu item, select Disk Management in the tree view, and take a screenshot of the window.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • spunspun Member
    edited December 2021

I haven't installed any other distros because I'm happy with the current setup.

Here's the screenshot. Windows is showing one thing but the partition manager program is showing something else.

Previously I had a CD drive that was the same size as the ISO. After I deleted the ISO from the HostHatch control panel the CD drive changed to 0 but didn't give back the disk space.

• I could also be completely wrong. I don't remember if the C drive was the same size as it is now or if the CD drive had any effect on it.

• acidpukeacidpuke Member
    edited December 2021

Have you tried windows disk cleanup ..could have old windows installation files taking space.

I don't see anything in your CD Drive and never heard of that taking space from your hard drive.

Try right clicking on CD and select eject just to verify.

• Looks all good to me if you have their 8GB RAM, 40GB Disk plan.

• CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

the weight of the windows operating system once installed is approximately 10-12 GB.

I don't know if you already have files in it.

• Looks fine to me if you are on a 40GB disk.

About the supposedly missing 5GB, it looks like the size of the pagefile isn't being accounted for by whatever third party partition manager you're using.

• @acidpuke said:
    Have you tried windows disk cleanup ..could have old windows installation files taking space.

I don't see anything in your CD Drive and never heard of that taking space from your hard drive.

I have. I also ran a checkdisk. The 5GB that was in CD Drive doesn't show anymore because I deleted the ISO. Eject gives an error I did try this before when the ISO was there and after removing it.

@CiprianoOscar said:
    the weight of the windows operating system once installed is approximately 10-12 GB.

Just an estimate but I'd say I have 3-5GB of files and programs in total outside of the actual operating system.

@rattlecattle said:
    Looks fine to me if you are on a 40GB disk.

About the supposedly missing 5GB, it looks like the size of the pagefile isn't being accounted for by whatever third party partition manager you're using.

I checked that previously also. I searched for all the biggest files and pagefile.sys was by far the largest file at 1.3GB. swapfile.sys was the 2nd largest at 250MB, then everything else was much smaller.

• CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

@spun said:

@acidpuke said:

I have. I also ran a checkdisk. The 5GB that was in CD Drive doesn't show anymore because I deleted the ISO. Eject gives an error I did try this before when the ISO was there and after removing it.

@CiprianoOscar said:

Just an estimate but I'd say I have 3-5GB of files and programs in total outside of the actual operating system.

@rattlecattle said:
    Looks fine to me if you are on a 40GB disk.

I checked that previously also. I searched for all the biggest files and pagefile.sys was by far the largest file at 1.3GB. swapfile.sys was the 2nd largest at 250MB, then everything else was much smaller.

Are you sure you have format it correctly?

• Does running windows have any adverse effects on the vps or any high cpu utilization?

• @plumberg said:
    Does running windows have any adverse effects on the vps or any high cpu utilization?

Letting Windows idle should not cause abnormal behavior. For everything else it's just like with Linux, it depends on the apps.

• @webcraft said:

@plumberg said:
    Does running windows have any adverse effects on the vps or any high cpu utilization?

Letting Windows idle should not cause abnormal behavior. For everything else it's just like with Linux, it depends on the apps.

how about moderate browsing? Nothing like 500 chrome tabs open...

and do you all use Win10 or WinServer?

• @plumberg said:

All depends on the applications you are running. I guess, same is true for Linux OS as well.

Windows RDP is much more optimized than RDP/VNC on Linux. NoMachine is bit better, in my experience.

With windows OS , for VPS with fair-share cpu, I aim for average cpu utilization below 20% and in case of idling, the cpu utilization is below 3%

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

@plumberg said:

@webcraft said:

@plumberg said:

Windows 2012 Standard for memory <= 3 GB
    otherwise Windows 2019/2022 Standard

Unless you are playing on youtube or similar, no issues with web browsing. I suggest using Brave browser.

PS - with YouTube running, the average cpu utilization jumps to about 45%

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @plumberg said:

@webcraft said:

@plumberg said:

Win10 because of cheaper license, though it's licensed wrongly because a server (service type "server") requires a server license.
    Moderate browsing like 5-10 Tabs open and then closed after browsing session won't increase load significantly. You can best test on your local environment if you use Windows. The resource usage should be similar.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • So it looks like Windows is just a massive space hog. I thought deleting the ISO was going to help me but I guess it really doesn't count against my quota.

Windows alone is taking up 32GB, it's Windows 10 with all the latest updates.

• @spun said:
    So it looks like Windows is just a massive space hog. I thought deleting the ISO was going to help me but I guess it really doesn't count against my quota.

Windows alone is taking up 32GB, it's Windows 10 with all the latest updates.

You have installed it incorrectly

• Ok what's the correct way?

• @spun said:
    Ok what's the correct way?

How much memory you have on VPS

• spunspun Member
    edited December 2021

8GB RAM

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

@spun said:
    8GB RAM

install windows server 2019 standard
    Get iso directly from Microsoft website

Typical installation will take 12gb space.

• I had a feeling you'd say something like that. I actually downloaded Windows Server 2022 about 15 minutes ago. I have to add the Virtio drivers to it and I'll try that first and see how it looks. I've used 2019 before with no issues but figured I might as well try the newer version.

• Windows 10 is primarily designed for client systems (desktop and laptop PCs). Nobody has PCs with only 40GB of space any more, so they don't optimize for that use case. Try Windows Server Core instead.

Thanked by 2tux yoursunny
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

@Daniel15 said:
    Windows 10 is primarily designed for client systems (desktop and laptop PCs). Nobody has PCs with only 40GB of space any more, so they don't optimize for that use case. Try Windows Server Core instead.

Windows 10 Enterprise Edition can be used for VPS. However, in my opinion, Windows Server 2012/2019/2022 Standard Edition is a better choice.

Server Core is GUI-less edition and requires Powershell scripting.

I am using Windows 2012 Standard edition on VPS that has 40 gb storage space. After the installation, I had 29 GB space left on the VPS.

• So I downloaded Server 2022 from Microsoft and was looking for the Virtio tutorial that I had found before. Then did another quick google search and it looks like https://write.corbpie.com/upload-and-install-windows-server-2022-iso-on-vultr/ has a link to the version with the Virtio drivers already added in (and of course a full install tutorial). Then I tried uploading directly from the URL given on the site but it stalled out at 46% or so and then errored out. So now I'm uploading it onto another server that I have right now (I actually started and stopped doing this 3 times with different file hosting accounts already because I didn't think about this link working and realized .iso has to be the extension at the end of the link). Looks like the ISO is working again for uploading so I'm using the link on that page and simultaneously uploading it to my hosting just in case of failure since I've stopped other uploads prematurely due to thinking something else would work. Currently at 32% uploading from the link on the tutorial.

Reality is even with 1.5GB of disk space left that's really all I need at the moment since I only use the VPS for scraping (and delete files after moving them) but it's good to have the extra disk space since I get weird projects throughout the year.

• more than 29GB free after installing Windows OS on 40-GB VPS

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

@spun said:
    So I downloaded Server 2022 from Microsoft and was looking for the Virtio tutorial that I had found before. Then did another quick google search and it looks like https://write.corbpie.com/upload-and-install-windows-server-2022-iso-on-vultr/ has a link to the version with the Virtio drivers already added in (and of course a full install tutorial). Then I tried uploading directly from the URL given on the site but it stalled out at 46% or so and then errored out. So now I'm uploading it onto another server that I have right now (I actually started and stopped doing this 3 times with different file hosting accounts already because I didn't think about this link working and realized .iso has to be the extension at the end of the link). Looks like the ISO is working again for uploading so I'm using the link on that page and simultaneously uploading it to my hosting just in case of failure since I've stopped other uploads prematurely due to thinking something else would work. Currently at 32% uploading from the link on the tutorial.

Reality is even with 1.5GB of disk space left that's really all I need at the moment since I only use the VPS for scraping (and delete files after moving them) but it's good to have the extra disk space since I get weird projects throughout the year.

I only trust iso directly from Microsoft website or template installer from vps provider

• Luckily I'm not scraping any sensitive material, only public data. Or using any passwords that I care about. VPS's that I use are only for supplemental services and no sensitive data is exchanged. I actually cancelled another VPS that I've had for a while because I didn't need it, either way no sensitive data has been exchanged. Worst case scenario they steal my license keys, I can easily override it via my purchase email.