Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to make money with a lot of servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to make money with a lot of servers?

Hi guys,

I know that I'm probably late to the party, but still want to share my situation.

In my country, there are Banks. Those Banks pay you 1% yearly if you keep a certain amount of money for at least 365 days. So lets say that I put $10,000 for a full year, then after that time I would have my $10,000 + $100. This is very low earning.

However, over all these years I have learn how to use and manage servers. I'm able to install a Linux OS let's say Ubuntu or CentOS from zero and then PHP, MySQL, nginx and so. And I'm wondering if I could use my money and knowledge to invest in crypto mining (I'm completely newbie to that). Yes I know what a lot of providers don't allow you to perform crypto mining, however I think that when it comes to dedicated servers there is no problem.

So let's say that I rent 50 units of Hetzner's AX41 servers (that would be €1,700/mo). Do you think that I would be able to earn real money on that month to cover my next monthly cost (€1,700) plus something for me let's say €100?

Would my example work? Is it hard to start mining or is it all about to run something like "yum install mining-tool" and "systemctl start mining-tool"? What crypto coin should I start with? Which is the easiest to work?

Thanks guys!

Thanked by 1dev077

Comments

• Build platforms and take people in. They will do the rest.

• You mean a platform for mining? I'm a bit confused, could you please make an example or explain a bit more please?

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

CPU mining is not profitable so it won't help how many servers you buy.

You actually need to get your concepts straight for crypto and mining before deciding for anything that radical.

• Mining on cpu is not worth it.

Mining on ASICs/GPUs is what's all about but will require months to break even.

• @gapper said: You mean a platform for mining? I'm a bit confused, could you please make an example or explain a bit more please?

Platform for anything that have a potential market, should be unique. You can't build another Facebook. That won't work.

• I'm sure there were specific time periods where you could make money cpu mining or plotting chia or something like that. But these time periods usually didn't last very long, and you probably had to seek out the best deals to make money.

Let's say you find some crypto where you can make money by renting servers. Maybe the math makes sense today. But would you still be profitable tomorrow? Next week? Next month? And if it was really that profitable, the best server deals would all be sold out everywhere. (In the case of chia, the cheap storage servers were sold out everywhere)

• RedSoxRedSox Member
    edited December 2021

@Boogeyman said:

@gapper said: You mean a platform for mining? I'm a bit confused, could you please make an example or explain a bit more please?

Platform for anything that have a potential market, should be unique. You can't build another Facebook. That won't work.

Pavel Durov says hello to you.

• Pretty sure you can’t even do crypto related mining/node hosting on hetzner

• CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

@gapper said:
    Hi guys,

I know that I'm probably late to the party, but still want to share my situation.

In my country, there are Banks. Those Banks pay you 1% yearly if you keep a certain amount of money for at least 365 days. So lets say that I put $10,000 for a full year, then after that time I would have my $10,000 + $100. This is very low earning.

However, over all these years I have learn how to use and manage servers. I'm able to install a Linux OS let's say Ubuntu or CentOS from zero and then PHP, MySQL, nginx and so. And I'm wondering if I could use my money and knowledge to invest in crypto mining (I'm completely newbie to that). Yes I know what a lot of providers don't allow you to perform crypto mining, however I think that when it comes to dedicated servers there is no problem.

So let's say that I rent 50 units of Hetzner's AX41 servers (that would be €1,700/mo). Do you think that I would be able to earn real money on that month to cover my next monthly cost (€1,700) plus something for me let's say €100?

Would my example work? Is it hard to start mining or is it all about to run something like "yum install mining-tool" and "systemctl start mining-tool"? What crypto coin should I start with? Which is the easiest to work?

Thanks guys!

I don't know if hetzner enables mining on their servers (you could be punished for that).

You can also try to buy some stable coins (ES. USDT) and stack them. Some platforms even offer 10% or more per year.

• Just to add on, if you could really pick the right crypto to make money on, you probably would have been better off outright investing in that crypto or buying your own hardware to mine instead of renting servers.

Thanked by 3yoursunny bulbasaur t0m
  • @RedSox said: Pavel Durov says hello to you.

Привет

• vingohostvingohost Member, Host Rep

CPU mining isn't worth it, Also GPU mining can't make a good profit as now there are a lot of miners and mining is harder and require more power than in the past, You may look at crypto staking or crypto yield farming.
    Not a financial advice.

Thanked by 1dev077
  • Fuck servers, go all-in on CRO before it hits $1. It’s still low enough you gonna make bank of you go now.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Forget about crypto.
    Push-ups are the ultimate currency.
    I earned hundreds of push-ups flipping KVM servers.

• @allthemtings said:
    Pretty sure you can’t even do crypto related mining/node hosting on hetzner

I have a testnet node that has been hosted on hetzner for years now with no problem, but my network is a "Proof of Stake" type.

• @CiprianoOscar @vingohost what platforms do you recommend for "crypto staking" and "crypto yield farming"?

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

Instead of crypto mining etc, better create a hosting company and rent servers or find a partner and invest on his existing company. Just an idea.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • hiphiphip0hiphiphip0 Member
    edited December 2021

Search "saas ready".
    Set user feedback.
    Filter the one people willing to pay.
    Hire some one to improve the product continuously.
    Use cuttles.
    Find VC. :D

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@rattlecattle said: GPUs is what's

Smart providers mine on their own. They will always charge customers more than their own mining profit calculations, so you're most likely gonna lose money.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited December 2021

you know nothing, if you did you would not even ask, no money in CPU mining after cost of hardware, no money CPU mining after power cost if mining on home network.

YOU NEED GPU's - i have 6 GPU's around 200 MH/s

• @painfreepc said:
    you know nothing, if you did you would not even ask, no money in CPU mining after cost of hardware, no money CPU mining after power cost if mining on home network.

YOU NEED GPU's - i have 6 GPU's around 200 MH/s

which model of GPUs do you recommend?

• mezoologymezoology Member
    edited December 2021

@gapper said: Those Banks pay you 1% yearly

here the standard is 7-9% (and some banks give 11-12 for long periods). you guys are getting ripped off.

Thanked by 1afn
  • Rule of the internet, if your just getting on a trend thats not brand new your way to bloody late and hundreds of thousands of other people have had your idea and milked it to death. No provider is gonna sell you compute recources that you could profit from. If there was profit they would be doing it, not selling it to you.

Thanked by 1raynor
  • gappergapper Member
    edited December 2021

how does hetzner (or other provideres) could know that you are mining on your own dedicated servers? if it is a VPS i understand but on bare metal boxes how do they know?

• @mezoology said:

@gapper said: Those Banks pay you 1% yearly

here the standard is 7-9% (and some banks give 11-12 for long periods). you guys are getting ripped off.

in USD? or in your local currency? which country is it may I know?

• in EGP, in USD max is 6-7%
    in early 2013 there was some trend of up to 16%. but they just woke up and realized how the economy will fall if this continues.

• SaaS them

• @mezoology said:
    in EGP, in USD max is 6-7%
    in early 2013 there was some trend of up to 16%. but they just woke up and realized how the economy will fall if this continues.

Foreign investors would probably be the first in line for a haircut should things go sideways, if they even allow foreigners.

• CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

@gapper said:
    @CiprianoOscar @vingohost what platforms do you recommend for "crypto staking" and "crypto yield farming"?

the one that gives you the highest percentage and has the most credibility. I don't know at the moment, but I've heard good things about trust wallets